Author Topic: My iPod finally died. What are my options?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
My iPod finally died. What are my options?
« on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:10 AM »
iPod Classic 160GB from 2007.  The big, thick one (later 160's were thinner).  Played basically every day for eight years, often for hours at a time.  I have no complaints.  But after choking and stalling more and more frequently over the past few months, it finally locked up for good and won't reboot.

So... the biggest of the new ones (iPod Touch 128) has 75% of the capacity, which may have to be good enough.  It has the advantage of being solid state, which I like, and the disadvantage of costing a shitload of cash and including a bunch of stuff I honestly don't care about (camera, apps, Bluetooth (although I might ultimately use that)).

There are also (supposedly) new Classic 160's out there, on Amazon, Ebay, etc.  Advantages include price and capacity of course, disadvantages include same hard drive tech and no way to be sure that it's actually new.

Then there's the option of going with a different mp3 player altogether.  It doesn't have to be an iPod; iPod was just the biggest, and I have a lot of tunes.  I've heard good things about Zune, but that was years ago, filed away in memory for when the iPod finally died.  I don't know how they are now.

I'm old school; I have to have my tunes, in some kind of physical medium, to take with me.  For practice, for in the car, etc.  What are my options?

Online faizoff

Re: My iPod finally died. What are my options?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »
What I did was buy a $10 windows phone the Lumia 640 on sale and stuck a 128 GB microSD card in it. I got the card for $25 on a sale and have a lot of music on there. You can get any smartphone with a microsd slot for that matter, this way I avoided having to use itunes for syncing. I just drag and drop to a folder and it's all organized in the player. I do have an iphone that is my primary music player but that's limited to 64 GB and has other things like apps and photos, videos that take up the bulk of the space.

Just something out of the box.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:31:11 AM »
Orbert I could have written that post word for word man, except my iPod classic is 80gb and it's still on it's deathbed so I've been looking into options too.

There are also (supposedly) new Classic 160's out there, on Amazon, Ebay, etc.  Advantages include price and capacity of course, disadvantages include same hard drive tech and no way to be sure that it's actually new.

Looked at those, how's price an advantage? they're discontinued by Apple so they selling at 400+ dollars a piece, I have no problem with the old hard drive tech but these prices are crazy to me.
Like you I don't want the iPod touch with all it's extra apps and technology that I don't need but mainly because it's less durable than the classic and wouldn't last as long with me, the lower capacity is a problem as well but I can take it, a biweekly or even monthly visit to my computer to add/remove music won't be so bad.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »
I saw this on indiegogo a few weeks back, and have been contemplating it - https://www.evolutionofaudio.com/

terrible website, but it looks kinda cool if you have the dough.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
faizoff's suggestion is probably the best one, any kind of touch device that supports high-capacity SD cards. There's not much out there as far as high capacity MP3 players go. FiiO make some appealing hardware but they aren't cheap.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 07:39:13 AM »
I always have to laugh when iPod discussion comes up.  Everyone has iPods with huge storage amounts that they're maxing out.  I have a 4th gen Nano from like 2008, with 8 gigs and it's maybe half to two-thirds full.  :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
I use a 128gb iPhone. I know this is pricey, and requires a contract. iPod Touches now come in 128gb as well, for 400$. But if you are tied to using Apple products, besides getting a refurbed/pre-owned HD iPod, these are the only new options left.

I just looked at Apple's site, and iPods are no longer even listed along the top toolbar. So I think they will be eliminating them soon probably.
---

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:48:04 AM »
What I did was buy a $10 windows phone the Lumia 640 on sale and stuck a 128 GB microSD card in it. I got the card for $25 on a sale and have a lot of music on there. You can get any smartphone with a microsd slot for that matter, this way I avoided having to use itunes for syncing. I just drag and drop to a folder and it's all organized in the player. I do have an iphone that is my primary music player but that's limited to 64 GB and has other things like apps and photos, videos that take up the bulk of the space.

Just something out of the box.

This. I use my windows phone with a 128gb card. I still have a 160gb ipod classic collecting dust now. Still works but the battery doesn't last very long.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
Definitely go the cheap phone root. You can get decent devices for next to nothing these days with Micro SD slots.

Offline Cable

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »
And actually if I may stand on others- I despise iTunes and the iPod interface. This is coming from a faithful iPhone and Mac user. The music management and player is bullcrap, and always has been. I enjoyed my Creative Zen (haha) back in the early to mid 2000's, and found an excellent player on Android that wiped the floor with anything that Apple had. I was also able to use an additional application that was an EQ, and I swear that thing made the music sound 10x better.

So on the non-Apple route not only being cheaper as others have noted, the flexibility is vastly better.
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
But... size.   I have a 120GB iPod and I'm at like 99.5% capacity, and I have a stack of about 30 CDs I still have to add (I'm kind of a freak about having all my music with me, because I travel a fair amount, and I use the iPod in the car).  It's still working, but it won't forever, and I don't have a lot of options at this point (though I'm sure that will change in the future). 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »
I wish I had unlimited bandwidth of cellular data. I have all my music up on my Google Drive and there are apps that allow streaming from there, even lossless files. It's great except of course the fact that it would eat up all my data.

Some time in the future, it'll be the best way to do this kind of thing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 08:23:18 AM »
And actually if I may stand on others- I despise iTunes and the iPod interface. This is coming from a faithful iPhone and Mac user. The music management and player is bullcrap, and always has been. I enjoyed my Creative Zen (haha) back in the early to mid 2000's, and found an excellent player on Android that wiped the floor with anything that Apple had. I was also able to use an additional application that was an EQ, and I swear that thing made the music sound 10x better.

So on the non-Apple route not only being cheaper as others have noted, the flexibility is vastly better.

I had a Creative Zen back in the day. I loved that thing. I dropped it in the snow (unknowingly) and found it in the spring. Still worked!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »
Well, it's not cheap, but you can get the Sony Walkman A-17. It has 64 GBs of internal memory and can expand it with up to a 128 GB SD card. And the audio quality is fantastic :P

Online faizoff

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
I was all about the Creative mp3 players before getting a smart phone. My first mp3 player was the Nomad Zen Xtra 40 GB version. Then I got the Zen Vision M 30 GB. I still have the Vision M but don't think it works.

Dedicated mp3 players have become a niche product now since I'm assuming most everyone listens to their music on the phone regardless of capacity issues. If I get a decent price on a 256 GB microSD card I'll probably replace the 128 GB with that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »
I've been looking into getting one of these. Seems like a really great price.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 08:44:12 AM »

I had a Creative Zen back in the day. I loved that thing. I dropped it in the snow (unknowingly) and found it in the spring. Still worked!

I had 2 different models of Zen mp3 players and I absolutely loved it! Unfortunately creative no longer makes mp3 players  :'(
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 08:57:01 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions and tips, guys!  I have some research to do.

If anyone has more to add, please feel free.  Thanks!

Offline Cable

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 09:04:37 AM »
But... size.   I have a 120GB iPod and I'm at like 99.5% capacity, and I have a stack of about 30 CDs I still have to add (I'm kind of a freak about having all my music with me, because I travel a fair amount, and I use the iPod in the car).  It's still working, but it won't forever, and I don't have a lot of options at this point (though I'm sure that will change in the future).

I hear you.

I think we are at an awkward time of device storage. Clearly (unless someone knows of one), space capped out at 160gb for a traditional hard-drive based player. HD based devices have been abandoned for mostly better, some worse (not enough space). However, the by-product of that is flash storage is the future, but it is still too expensive to really go beyond 256gb it seems at this time. I mean, my laptop has as much storage as my phone.

But the issue with waiting for flash memory to improve is we have a lot of portable audio fans with a lot of music but no place to store it. And it seems the industry doesn't care, instead getting rid of HD drive based players mostly it seems.

The other issue is the eventual progression of everyone using a cellular device for their music.  As I said above, Apple doesn't even promote their iPods on their toolbar anymore! The industry is really pumping cloud based services, because they get paid for X amount per person vs. a one time charge of extra physical storage. People made fun of me for dropping loot on a 128GB phone. But problem is, I really don't want to pay for data overages, especially because streaming music would need to be encoded well vs. a crappy stream. I encode my tunes at 320 for mp3s (and i notice flaws there now too), so I would need a comparable stream to access my music. While cloud based service is the future, cellular carriers in the US have regressed so to speak, now charging basically for usage vs. unlimited access for a price. So this creates a lose-lose situation, where some people need more storage, and pay more for it. But then pay more perhaps while trying to access it.
---

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »
I've been looking into getting one of these. Seems like a really great price.

This seems like a great option for the price. I can't seem to find what the storage capacity of the device is before upgrading to a SDXC card... Even still, buying that and a 128GB card would be pretty good solution (I'm in the same boat as the OP, my iPod classic 160GB holds all my music and is my main listening device, I'm dreading the day it dies).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 10:02:08 AM »
Just get a shitty phone and pop in a large microsd card as someone said (they make microSD in 128GB but you can also use the internal storage on the phone, won't be long until they have larger sizes too).  I don't see the point in dedicated MP3 players, this is also assuming you don't currently own a phone that can support this or don't have the space for your music. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 10:22:30 AM »
If I get a shitty phone, put a couple of 128gb microSD cards into it, and fill them with music, wouldn't that essentially make it a dedicated mp3 player?  I mean, I'm not giving up my Droid, so at that point, I'm carrying two phones around.  That seems kinda dumb, but I suppose I'd get over it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
If I get a shitty phone, put a couple of 128gb microSD cards into it, and fill them with music, wouldn't that essentially make it a dedicated mp3 player?  I mean, I'm not giving up my Droid, so at that point, I'm carrying two phones around.  That seems kinda dumb, but I suppose I'd get over it.

Is that any different than carrying around a Droid phone and an Ipod classic?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 10:36:51 AM »

Yea i dont see the difference however, I do not know of a phone that supports more than one SD card.  I mean the ideal is to have a phone that can support your music as well and just use one device for all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
How are the sound for phones with equalization?  I have the I-Pod Classic so I never put music on my phone unless it's Spotify and such.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
How are the sound for phones with equalization?  I have the I-Pod Classic so I never put music on my phone unless it's Spotify and such.

There are apps for equalization.  I have never used one, I am not an audiophile so I am fine with the default settings normally, so I can't talk about how effective they are, but I would imagine the paid apps are better for this.  I know my music player app has equalizers but only in the paid version.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »
I think the selling point for the player I linked to, FiiO X1, is the TI DAC chip for play back, the high quality amplifier and the ability to play a wide range of music formats. Yes, you're out the money for whatever card you get (not to mention headphones) but still, you're talking less than $150.00 for a good quality solution. Compare that to a Pono, iPod Touch, or the Echobox and it's a steal.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »
Orbert I could have written that post word for word man, except my iPod classic is 80gb and it's still on it's deathbed so I've been looking into options too.

Same here, will have to take some notes later!
Mine keeps resurrecting but I know it could go at any moment. It's on hospice so it gets chicken every night.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »

I guess not.  I had the iPod first, though.  I've always had music.  I only got into cell phones relatively recently, so it's always been one more thing to carry, because there is no phone that can touch a standalone mp3 player.  The idea of carrying around two phones, one of which is really just for music, seems kinda wacky to me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-Resolution-Lossless-Player/dp/B00PQ2UVHY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452028781&sr=1-3&keywords=fiio+x1

You have to use a disc, but it was easy enough to figure out. But it seems the iPod Classic can never duplicated in terms ease of use and usability.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 02:27:11 PM »
I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X1-Resolution-Lossless-Player/dp/B00PQ2UVHY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452028781&sr=1-3&keywords=fiio+x1

You have to use a disc, but it was easy enough to figure out. But it seems the iPod Classic can never duplicated in terms ease of use and usability.

Size.  That's my problem.  If mine dies I'll be in the same boat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »

I guess not.  I had the iPod first, though.  I've always had music.  I only got into cell phones relatively recently, so it's always been one more thing to carry, because there is no phone that can touch a standalone mp3 player.  The idea of carrying around two phones, one of which is really just for music, seems kinda wacky to me.
Dumb question, maybe, but can't you put music on the phone you already carry?  Especially if you add a memory card dedicated just to the music?  I'm sure it would be less music you could carry at a time, but it would only be one thing to carry.

Size.  That's my problem.
Sorry to hear that, dude.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
Size.  That's my problem. 

Tell me about it! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 03:26:54 PM »
I knew it as soon as I typed it. :lol

But really, I have so much music I like having to only upload  the new albumsite only.