Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 106511 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Round 8 Results, part 3/3 (SEND R9 SONGS)
« Reply #980 on: April 06, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
Scorp still hasn't submitted anything but the other four submissions are in the judges' inboxes.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #981 on: April 06, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
he sent John Cage 4'33"

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #982 on: April 06, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »
he sent John Cage 4'33"
Rejected, I've heard it before. But then, it's different every time you listen to it... :\

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #983 on: April 06, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »
it's my most listened song of all time but I've never listened to it twice

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #984 on: April 06, 2016, 02:01:31 PM »
So apparently Nekov likes to take a trip down Risky Lane just before the finals, Evermind bores us with some standard nothing-special prog, seneca is feeling nostalgic for a time where he probably wasn't even born yet and Sacul likes singing swans. Will be interesting to see what crazy stuff Scorpion comes up with.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: April 06, 2016, 02:15:54 PM »
 :lol I know it's risky but even in the rounds when I thought my song was gonna suck I still got pretty good scores so I'm a little confident.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #986 on: April 06, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
remember it's red judge so evermind is gonna score high :neverusethis:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #987 on: April 06, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »
Sent. I'll probably be axed this round, but oh well. It's been fun, y'all. :heart
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #988 on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
Sacul likes singing swans.
And I didn't send Swans, but a swansong :P

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Round 9 All In
« Reply #989 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »
New additions to the banned list:

David Bowie
Distorted Harmony
Fish
Neil Young
Von Hertzen Brothers

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #990 on: April 08, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
wow bowie really

ok

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: April 08, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »
What does that even mean? :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #992 on: April 08, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »
he's just the kind of artist you'd expect everyone to know, especially considering the past few months

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: April 08, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »
For a second I was afraid my song would be rejected because of that, but I hope to make it to the finals  :smiley:

Offline 425

« Reply #994 on: April 08, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »
he's just the kind of artist you'd expect everyone to know, especially considering the past few months

Obviously I know a few of the big songs by Bowie. But I don't know most of his discography, never listened to a full album, etc.

There are plenty of artists that people are generally expected to know, and true, in a lot of those cases, it'd be weird if you hadn't heard at least one song from them. Artists like Bowie, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, Radiohead. But I wouldn't necessarily expect people to have heard a full album, let alone a significant portion of the discography, by any of those, because that does require conscious effort. Like, if someone didn't know Space Oddity, or Hey Jude, or Thriller, or Money, or Creep, that might be a bit unusual. But I wouldn't ban a whole artist just because I knew a few hits from them.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #995 on: April 09, 2016, 12:52:53 AM »
Distorted Harmony  :metal :metal

Hope it's either Kono Yume or something off Chain Reaction.

Edit: I never heard Space Oddity, and only heard Money once because the album got recommended after my roulette. I recall really liking Money though, was my favorite off the album.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:24:43 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #996 on: April 09, 2016, 04:12:10 AM »
The first time I heard Space Oddity was when Steven Wilson posted a live cover of it on youtube. Bowie just has never been on my radar.

On another note, you can expect my write-ups tonight (unless I end up going out and getting drunk, then tomorrow night ::)).

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #997 on: April 09, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »
Here are the round 9 write-ups! Spoiler: There’s hardly any differentiation between songs here point wise, hardly meaning “none at all” in this particular case. Yes, you all got the same score from me. On that 5 point scale there’s just not enough space to differentiate, even though I do have some slight favourites.

senecadawg2      Neil Young - Like a Hurricane      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-WMbP1RcC4
Whoever mixed this should lose his job. I know it’s pretty old, but come on, why would you think that mixing the guitar that is the most important thing for most of the song almost all the way to the right? Does anyone actually like it that way?
I write above that you’re feeling nostalgic for a time where you weren’t even born yet, and after listening to this song a few times I feel the same, basically. His vocals are nice and all, the drums are really repetitive and simple, but the guitars are just amazing. Must be nice being able to write an 8 minute song that’s 75% messing around on your guitar and having it come out great. The guitar has this really raw and suffering tone to it that I really like, and it’s also pretty clever melody-wise. Nice tune.

Nekov         Von Hertzen Brothers - Bring out the snakes      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKF5YG2YiU
You certainly love taking risks, I’m pretty sure this is by far the weirdest song of the roulette so far. I found it interesting from the start, I just wasn’t sure if it was a good kind of interesting or not. The samples at the beginning are really creepy and weird. The whole song is, in fact. It changes between completely different parts all the time, and yet it feels cohesive somehow. I’m not sure how they pulled this off, but they did. And you certainly won’t get a “too repetitive” comment from me on this one. This whole song feels more like an experience than just listening to music, and I really like that. I’m not going to comment on any part in particular, that would just be completely hopeless with how different everything is. I’m not even sure which instruments are on here. But I really like it, so good job.

Evermind      Fish – Cliché
So, a love song. You predicted I would “meh” this, but you were only partially right. It’s not absolutely amazing, but still a really good song. The production might sound old, but it’s still really good (my main problem with old production is that microphones back then sucked at picking up bass frequencies and thus it lacked the punch some music needs, e.g. Iron Maidens self-titled).
I feel this would resonate with me at a much higher level if I was in love with someone right now, but it still stands strong without that added bonus. I like how the vocalists goes between a very soft vocal style and a more energetic one, and he sounds really good in general. The overall atmosphere here is very strong, but the highlight are definitely the guitars. I love the guitar tone and the very melodic style of playing. The soloing is nice as well, but not as great as those melodies thrown in all the time during the song (that solo in the middle is pretty strong, though). So, overall, you did quite a bit better than you expected. Congrats.

Sacul         David Bowie – Lazarus
It’s quite a coincidence that all 3 judges don’t really know David Bowie, given how he’s so famous and died recently. Doesn’t mean it’s not a great song, though. At first I thought it was pretty mediocre, but it grew on me a lot. The vocals seem really fragile somehow, as if his voice could break apart at a moment’s notice. I love the brass instruments here. And really, I’m having a hard time saying more about this, except that I really liked it.

Scorpion     Distorted Harmony – Misguided
This was without doubt the heaviest song this round, and also the one that took the longest for me to enjoy it. At first I thought it dragged a bit, but further listens showed me I was pretty wrong on that account. Evermind would probably call this djent, and I guess he wouldn’t be that far off. It has lots of heavy, great riffs. The chorus is really catchy, the riffs are fantastic, and it keeps me entertained all the way through. Even though you probably won’t make it to the finals, at least you went out in style.

So now it's up to the other judges. I'm curious how it will turn out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #998 on: April 09, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »
yeah, lazarus is really good, def the song that left the biggest impression from the listens I gave the album

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: April 09, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Every song got the same score? Really? Quite a way to avoid any responsibility here. :biggrin:

Alright, let's wait for the other judges then.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:34:34 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #1000 on: April 09, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
Yes, you all got the same score from me.

K thanks for the added pressure Tyrias.  :biggrin:

I also have no idea how you're so fast. I said I'd be faster this round and I will be, but I'm not gonna be three days fast.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
It's interesting how I know both Nelson's and Lucas' tunes and my song is much better than these two in my book, so as far as I'm concerned I should have no problems with getting through. But with 425 and Mr. Red, well, you never know.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1002 on: April 09, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »
senecadawg2      Neil Young - Like a Hurricane      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-WMbP1RcC4
Whoever mixed this should lose his job. I know it’s pretty old, but come on, why would you think that mixing the guitar that is the most important thing for most of the song almost all the way to the right? Does anyone actually like it that way?
I write above that you’re feeling nostalgic for a time where you weren’t even born yet, and after listening to this song a few times I feel the same, basically. His vocals are nice and all, the drums are really repetitive and simple, but the guitars are just amazing. Must be nice being able to write an 8 minute song that’s 75% messing around on your guitar and having it come out great. The guitar has this really raw and suffering tone to it that I really like, and it’s also pretty clever melody-wise. Nice tune.

Reading the bit about the mixing made me worried, but I guess you actually like the song anyways?

And as for the bolded part... I missed that post. I should note though, that I was born in 1894 and so most certainly was around when this song was released. My grandchildren kept waiting for me to die, but this song has kept me alive for another few decades.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline 425

« Reply #1003 on: April 09, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »
It's interesting how I know both Nelson's and Lucas' tunes and my song is much better than these two in my book, so as far as I'm concerned I should have no problems with getting through. But with 425 and Mr. Red, well, you never know.

I'm just going to start grading these songs by guessing how well I will like them based on the artist name, song name and who sent them.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: April 09, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
I hope you watched the music video as recommended, Tyrias  :tup

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1005 on: April 09, 2016, 02:29:43 PM »
Every song got the same score? Really? Quite a way to avoid any responsibility here. :biggrin:

Alright, let's wait for the other judges then.

Well, at first there were some differences, but after giving each song a chance to grow on me I liked them all about the same. :lol So when I did my final listen, I was like: Yeah, this song is really good. might be the best song of the round. Then the next song came up and I was like: Or maybe this one? Not sure. By the third one I was like: Fuck.

I also have no idea how you're so fast. I said I'd be faster this round and I will be, but I'm not gonna be three days fast.

I just try to listen to the songs twice each day, which is not too hard when there are only 5 songs to listen to. So by the end of day 3 I have listened to everything 5 to 6 times, enough to have a good grasp on the songs.

I hope you watched the music video as recommended, Tyrias  :tup

I did, and I enjoyed it. Well actually I didn't really enjoy it, but I guess enjoying it was not really what it was meant to achieve. More like unsettling people.

Reading the bit about the mixing made me worried, but I guess you actually like the song anyways?

And as for the bolded part... I missed that post. I should note though, that I was born in 1894 and so most certainly was around when this song was released. My grandchildren kept waiting for me to die, but this song has kept me alive for another few decades.

So you're a vampire :o? That's so cool.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1006 on: April 09, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »
Misguided :tup like Tyrias said, I considered sending this song to Evermind but thought he might confuse progressive metal for djent. Also I've already sent this song in like 3 roulettes and wanted some variety, none of the other songs on that album were good roulette material except for maybe Natural Selection, but that intro/outro would definitely turn him off.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: April 09, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »
Heh, I find the video adds a whole layer of symbolism and meaning to the song. The opening sequence with Bowie on a hospital bed singing "look up here, I'm in heaven", and the final one, him entering the wardrobe (which looks like a coffin) with a serious, strong look in the eye... Damn, they give me chills.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1008 on: April 09, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
So you're a vampire :o? That's so cool.

No, much worse... I'm a vegan.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: April 09, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »
Misguided :tup like Tyrias said, I considered sending this song to Evermind but thought he might confuse progressive metal for djent. Also I've already sent this song in like 3 roulettes and wanted some variety, none of the other songs on that album were good roulette material except for maybe Natural Selection, but that intro/outro would definitely turn him off.

I never confuse progressive metal for djent. If I like it, it's progressive metal, if I don't, it's djent. No room for confusion. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1010 on: April 09, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »
Mr. Red has informed me that his writeups should be done by Monday.

Offline 425

« Reply #1011 on: April 09, 2016, 08:40:02 PM »
I'm targeting Monday as well.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: April 09, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »
I saw you posted and expected results  :sadpanda:

Offline 425

« Reply #1013 on: April 09, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »
Haha have you been paying attention to me this roulette at all? :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: April 09, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »
Of course, you've meh'd like half of my songs  :'(