Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105660 times)

Offline Tyrias

Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R7 all in, results :soon:
« Reply #840 on: March 20, 2016, 02:05:18 AM »
You can expect my write-ups either tonight or tomorrow evening, depending on how confident I feel in my scores tonight.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: March 20, 2016, 02:11:53 AM »
You can take all the time you want as long as you'll give me the best score of the round.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #842 on: March 20, 2016, 02:14:32 AM »
We'll see about that ::). What I can say right now is that the worst song is still really good in this round.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #843 on: March 20, 2016, 04:54:05 AM »
Yeah this thread really died down. Anyway, here are the newest additions to the banned list:

Amadeus Awad
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Mazzy Star
Nordic Giants
Saltillo

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: March 20, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
Fade Into You or some other song?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #845 on: March 20, 2016, 08:05:54 AM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: March 20, 2016, 08:06:39 AM »
That's some strong competition then, I liked that song a lot and I can see it being quite appealing to Tyrias too.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #847 on: March 20, 2016, 11:26:58 AM »
DSO, i wonder which song then

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #848 on: March 20, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
I'm going out for dinner in an hour, write-ups either today or tomorrow depending on when I get home.
On my preliminaey scores, there’s only a 2.5 point difference between first and last place, so don't expect to gain or lose a lot of ground this round.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: March 20, 2016, 11:43:31 AM »
You know, 2.5 is a lot with the current standings.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #850 on: March 20, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »
Yeah, I didn’t realize standings were this tight, especially first/second and 3/4/5.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #851 on: March 20, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
I got home rather early and despite feeling pretty tired I decided to do the write-ups. I hope it’s not too obvious from my writing that I’m not really at my top right now ;).
Anyway, like I said this was a really strong round. Even if you’re one of the losers here, your song was still really good. The average score for this round is 13.2 for me, pretty sure that’s a new record. And I loved the diversity of genres in this one.

Senecadawg2: Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
This is a really calm, relaxed song. It has pretty monotonic acoustic guitars basically all the way through, with hardly any rhythmic variation, which provide the backdrop for her voice and some different, very calm instrumentation and rhythm. Those acoustic guitars are probably my least favourite part of the song, they are too repetitive for me (even though I know that’s exactly what they were supposed to achieve.)
Otherwise, this song is quite fantastic. I love the subtle instrumentation, her calm voice, the little rhythmic variations in the shakers (?) and the clean guitar tone of the electric guitar (as well as the melody). Still, the monotone acoustic guitars are what hold it back from competing with the top song of this round.

Nekov: Nordic Giants - Rapture
This is kind of post rock-y in nature, but condensed to not even 4 minutes, contrary to most post-rock I know. Her voice fits the feel of the song perfectly, somewhere between ethereal and poppy. I love the reverb-heavy, clean guitar tone. Even though it’s completely clean sounding, it still has that “punch” it needs in certain more climactic parts of the song.  The drums also do a really good job of building up and releasing tension, and that vocal melody that appears regularly (kind of like a chorus) is absolutely beautiful.
You did a really good job for this round, especially considering you seemed so troubled by the theme beforehand. While this is not quite as good as the best song this round, it’s really damn close.

Evermind: Amadeus Awad - Lonesome Clown
This starts of really strong, setting the atmosphere for the whole song in the first few seconds and then expanding on that. Her voice seemed kind of a poor fit at the start the first time I heard the song, but by the end of the song she had won me over. This is another song with really good lyrics and a pretty relatable topic. After the strong start it continues at the same level of awesomeness for quite some time, but overall I feel this would have profited from trimming it down 1 or 2 minutes, especially in the second half after that awesome climax before the 5:45 mark. The calm section after that drags just the slightest bit, and a few sections afterwards suffer from a similar problem. What I loved in this song was the sparse but effective use of acoustic guitars to build up tension, the clever dynamic variations and use of recurring themes to keep it all together while still changing it up a bit.  Not a big fan of the guitar tone in here, but it’s not enough to detract from the overall quality of the score. 
Even though I really enjoyed this overall, you will probably lose a bit of ground in your chase for the first rank, and to some people behind you. And it’s kind of ironic that the only song I rated lower than yours was the one you called “fierce competition” just a few posts above this.

Sacul: Saltillo - Giving In
You seemed pretty confident in your pick, and not without reason. Again, you send me the highlight of the round. I think you won 3 out of 7 rounds in this roulette so far, at least from my perspective. I’m not usually that much into Trip-Hop, the only band I really know is Portishead, and they’re pretty hit and miss for me, but this is just almost 100% hit. I love the atmosphere here, and her voice is my favourite this round without question. The way she changes between really calm vocals during the stanza’s and then kind of wails in the chorus is amazing, especially with the equally wailing guitars in the background to double the effect. The cello at the start is pretty amazing as well.
I also really like the lyrics in this one. Usually I don’t really pay attention to lyrics, but when there are spoken world samples as well I kind of have to try and relate the lyrics to those. Even those Dj-disc scratches somewhere in the middle somehow add to the atmosphere instead of detracting from the song. Pretty close to a perfect song for me.

Scorpion: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Voodoo Mon Amour

In the first few seconds I thought this would be too chaotic for me, but when the trumpets kicked in it suddenly made sense and I started shaking along with the rhythm. This is clearly the odd one out in an already rather varied round, as in it’s the only really joyful and “dancy” song here. I’m having a hard time classifying this in terms of genre, as it mixes elements of swing with metal/hard rock instrumentation, without ever sounding like metal or hard rock, despite being quite heavy. It reminds me of a heavier version of Caravan Palace, and seeing as I love them and heavier music, this really tickles my fancy. There was really nothing here that stood out particularly to me, but this was a really stellar song.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #852 on: March 20, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »
Yup, this basically screamed "Tyrias" to me, and I also loved it, so it was almost a no-brainer to me - I just hope the other judges like it  :smiley:

Not that I thought about sending DSO, but that's a great choice Scorp  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: March 20, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
Awesome! I was going over some stuff on Spotify and when this band came around I knew I had something to send with female vocals.  :D
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: March 20, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »
Don't really agree with both my writeup and Fade Into You one, but hey, tastes. Let's see if other judges will like my song more.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #855 on: March 21, 2016, 02:37:51 AM »
Don't really agree with both my writeup and Fade Into You one, but hey, tastes. Let's see if other judges will like my song more.

What exactly don't you agree with? Just curious. Also, it should be said that I exaggerated some negative points a bit, just to make it clear which songs I liked most this round and which I liked slightly less. You would have been in the upper half or near the top with your song in most other rounds so far, this one was just really strong.

Also, I think you liked Arstidir when I sent them to you in your first Roulette, they just released a kind of neo-classical/folky album with Anneke van Giersbergen on vocals. It's quite good I think, and since you seem to like Anneke and Arstidir I thought it might interest you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMqwnlWYoQ

Yup, this basically screamed "Tyrias" to me, and I also loved it, so it was almost a no-brainer to me - I just hope the other judges like it  :smiley:

I'm still not sure how you do so well with me here when I completely failed your roulette :P.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #856 on: March 21, 2016, 03:16:13 AM »

Thanks, and likewise (just checked out your song, holy shit, I love it). Let's hope the other judges agree (and dislike your song, but I'm not holding my breath on that :P ).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: March 21, 2016, 03:20:52 AM »
Well, for instance, I like acoustic guitars on Fade Into You, and I don't think the calm part in my song drags and I also like Amadeus's guitar tone.

I know about that Arstidir / Anneke collaboration but haven't had time to check it out because roulette.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #858 on: March 21, 2016, 03:25:51 AM »

Thanks, and likewise (just checked out your song, holy shit, I love it). Let's hope the other judges agree (and dislike your song, but I'm not holding my breath on that :P ).

Just randomly jumping into this thread because the person sending DSO in Genowyn's roulette (and I'm pretty sure it was you) turned me on to Pandora's Piñata and I actually just bought it, I think you sent Black Box Messiah and it's really awesome.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #859 on: March 21, 2016, 03:59:57 AM »

Just randomly jumping into this thread because the person sending DSO in Genowyn's roulette (and I'm pretty sure it was you) turned me on to Pandora's Piñata and I actually just bought it, I think you sent Black Box Messiah and it's really awesome.

You're welcome! I'd recommend checking their previous album, Sing-Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious. I think it's highs are quite a bit higher than Pandora's Pinata's highs, but it's nowhere near as consistent - the opening trio of songs on that one is probably the best thing that DSO have done, though, and the closing track is stunning as well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R7 results, part 1/3
« Reply #860 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35:48 AM »
Noted  :tup
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: March 22, 2016, 06:40:17 PM »
Quote from: Mr. Red
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
Not going to lie, but this song takes me back. I have heard this song before (but didn't realize this was one I've heard until I started listening), but I never heard the full song. It is used in one of my favorite movies of my adolescence, in a very pivotal scene, but only part of a verse and a chorus. So when I hear this song I think of this scene. The rest of the song is very similar to the rest, so it's pretty repetitive, but that was the case in early to mid 90s alternative rock. The whole song had a very calming effect overall that I really enjoyed. Well done.

Nordic Giants - Rapture
I'm not really sure how to classify this song genre-wise... it starts synthy and almost ambient, but then BOOM this wall of sound comes with the vocals. I really enjoyed that part. There is a lot happening at once. Even though the song repeats that WE RISE part many times, it still manages to build up towards the end. I really enjoyed this.

Amadeus Awad - Lonesome Clown
This song was pretty much the only metal-like song in the whole round. It was enjoyable, but not my favorite. The vocalist's voice does fit the song, but the nasal quality of her voice did wear on me after a bit. The instrumental section in the middle didn't really go anywhere and went on and on... it probably could have been cut in half. Where this song really shone was the last third of the song with the acoustic guitar when she sings about forgiveness... that was my favorite section of the song. Overall decent, but not my favorite.

Saltillo - Giving In
This trip-hoppy sound is really good. The vocalist reminds me of Dolores O'Riordan from The Cranberries which fits like a puzzle piece in this type of song. Hard to believe this song was released about a decade after the height of popularity of this type of song. This was excellent. Well done.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Voodoo Mon Amour
What is this!?! Metal swing!? This is pretty creative. While it's not my favorite it's damn fun to listen to. The vocals are quirky which is perfect for this type of song. In this genre style this song has it all - the fun vocals, great horn section, and driving beat. It's not my favorite genre of music, but I would love to dive into a bit more of this.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: March 22, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
the part where everyone gets high points and the roulette standings don't change much

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R7 results, part 2/3
« Reply #863 on: March 22, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
I've been getting deep into trip-hop for the last year or so, and that Saltillo album was also one of my favorite discoveries of 2015  :heart

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: March 22, 2016, 10:22:45 PM »
Yeah, I suspected my song could be a miss for Mr. Red.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: March 23, 2016, 06:00:44 AM »
425 results:

(Sacul) Saltillo - Giving In

lol more like Giving Up, amirite? :P

Just kidding, really liked this song. 3/5.

:angel:

Offline 425

« Reply #866 on: March 23, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »
Hopefully, this afternoon or evening from me. Sorry for the slowness, y'all!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #867 on: March 23, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »
425 results:

(Sacul) Saltillo - Giving In

lol more like Giving Up, amirite? :P

Just kidding, really liked this song. 3/5.

:angel:

No, that would be one of your write-ups. 425's write-ups are significantly longer than that ::).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #868 on: March 23, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
I give that writeup a +1.5/5

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: March 23, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »
 :'(

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: March 23, 2016, 06:33:26 PM »
 :lol i love this thread
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline 425

« Reply #871 on: March 23, 2016, 06:49:35 PM »
I give that writeup a +1.5/5

I would give it a -0.5/5, personally.

But, fortunately for Sacul, that's not what I would give his song.

:lol i love this thread

I do too. ;D
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #872 on: March 23, 2016, 06:57:34 PM »
Here come round 7 writeups. This may be my favorite round of the roulette (though it's hard to judge the quality of a round of 5 versus that of a round of 9). Five strong submissions here. Which, of course, means that there's less differentiation between a lot of your scores than some of you may have been hoping for... But that's not my responsibility!

So, very diverse round, very strong round. I liked it a lot. One song was one of my favorites of the whole roulette. So here are the writeups.

Evermind: Amadeus Awad - Lonesome Clown

Leave it to Evermind to send a song that takes up almost half the total length of the round. :lol

This is a pretty cool, epic piece of prog rock/metal. The long intro is very strong and sets the dark mood for the rest of the song pretty perfectly. Anneke comes in to provide the vocals, and I’ve decided I really like her. The melodies she has here are very strong and she gives a pretty emotional performance. I’m not quite sure what she’s singing about, but I know from the words I can hear (“I filled your lungs with toxic gas”? “I lost my crown”?) and her intonation that it’s pretty serious and dark.

The heavy riffs that come in and out of this song are placed pretty well. This song succeeds so well at being very dark and desperate without the metal instrumentation in there that when the riffing does come in, it doesn’t feel obligatory, it feels like it’s just another part of the musical landscape that contributes further to the mood.

The interlude fits perfectly well into the song. It’s a bit long, but I think it’s fine as part of a piece this long, and is probably welcome in the context of a full album. The buildup out of the interlude is pretty awesome as well, so there’s a good payoff. The voiceover is pretty creepy, but it fits well into the song, so no complaints there.

Nekov: Nordic Giants ft. Beth Cannon - Rapture

Here’s one of several songs this round that is really just very beautiful. This one features a sort of ethereal rock sound and a really soft, pretty female vocalist. She’s really the highlight of this song for me, as I really love this type of high, soft, almost fragile-sounding female singing. And they give her some really good haunting melodies to sing.

That said, the instrumentation here is good as well. I love the sense of dynamics in this song, where there are some quiet parts interspersed with those loud choruses and whatever is causing that loud, clear percussive sound. There’s a solid atmosphere created on this one as a result of those dynamics.

The thing that limits this somewhat for me is that it seems a little too repetitive given how short it is. That isn’t really a problem so much as a limit on how much I like this one. There’s nothing wrong here at all, it’s just not one of my favorite songs this time.

Sacul: Saltillo - Giving In

Meh. :neverusethis:

Just kidding. I really like this. This is my favorite hip/trip-hop song that you’ve sent me. The atmosphere is strong here, as it seems to be in a lot of songs from this genre. The difference here is that the strong atmosphere is paired with a really strong singer who gives a fantastic performance on this song. She does a good job of providing a somewhat subdued performance that fits in with the mood of the song while still being powerful when necessary.

I still don’t understand the need for disc scratching stuff, but here it doesn’t significantly detract too much. I’d prefer that it wasn’t there, but it doesn’t really bother me that it is.

Congratulations, Sacul, you’ve finally managed to send me a trip hop song that I really like and to which I have no significant objections.

Scorpion: Diablo Swing Orchestra - Voodoo Mon Amour

This is one of the more unusual songs of the roulette, I’ll definitely give it that. I guess I would characterize this as swing metal, and I have to say it’s an interesting concept. It’s pretty bizarre to hear the brass instruments playing in conjunction with heavy metal riffs, but it’s also pretty cool.

Unfortunately, the downside is that sometimes with stuff that is bizarre stylistically, to the point where it seems almost like a novelty, it can get kind of stuck in a novelty box for me and that can inhibit me from liking it as well as some other things. This song does succeed in breaking out of that box… somewhat. The songwriting is strong enough to definitely make it worthy of attention for reasons that go beyond its novelty status. The vocal melodies may not be outstanding but they're strong enough, and the instrumental work is very strong.

My biggest issue is the style of the vocalists. I suppose I understand what they’re going for, but both singers have strange singing styles that don’t really connect with me. So that’s something that keeps this one back for me a little bit. But even so, I definitely did like this song as more than just a novelty.

senecadawg2: Mazzy Star - Fade Into You

It’s either very strange or totally logical that in a round with dynamic post rock, swing metal, trip hop and a 12 minute epic, all of them very good songs, that my favorite of this round would be arguably the simplest and most accessible one.

This song is just beautiful. It doesn’t try to be more than what it is, but what it is is amazing. The singer’s voice is absolutely perfectly suited to this song, she does a stellar job and really draws me into this on an emotional level. The guitars, piano and other instruments aren’t really doing anything complicated, but they’re doing exactly what is necessary for the song, and they don’t get boring. The voice and instrumentation, particularly the lead guitar, create a nice tapestry of beautiful melodies that result in an emotionally moving song that is my favorite of this round and among my favorites of the roulette. I really love this song, so the only question here is whether the 5 goes before or after the decimal point.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #873 on: March 23, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
Scoreboard

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 08:52:28 AM by Bolsters »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R7 results part 3/3, send R8 songs NOW
« Reply #874 on: March 23, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »
:2metal: