Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105609 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R4 all in - Listening mode commenced
« Reply #490 on: February 11, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »
Female vocals? Well, that might be a little hard...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #491 on: February 11, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
Female vocals? Well, that might be a little hard...
This, not because I lack female vocalists but most of them are banned :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #494 on: February 11, 2016, 10:04:32 AM »
you will see in time

if sacul doesn't get cut

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »
Destiny Potato apparently? Don't know what the upper picture is about but the lower one is a potato, that I can tell.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:18:50 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »
the top one is the logo for a game called Destiny

i'm pretty sure it sucks but i've never actually played it myself bcuz i don't care for FPSes

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #497 on: February 12, 2016, 01:26:11 PM »
As promised, Round 4 results are here. Overall, I’d say this was the weakest round of this roulette so far. There’s no song I’d consider bad or horrible, in fact most are good or slightly better, but compared to previous rounds that’s still worse.
My prediction about the top 2 songs being by 2 out of the 3 bottom ranked players didn’t totally come true, as there was one other song that grew on me quite a bit, but 2 of you are still near the top. The other person is sadly still last.
On to the write-ups:

Senecadawg2: Ludovico Einaudi – Divenire
I’m probably more familiar with classical music than most people here, with 10 years of compulsory music education at school (and an additional to voluntary years). I remember you sending a similar song in my last roulette, I’m not sure if it was the same artist though. This is most certainly the most beautiful song this round, but that’s all it is. It has some nice melodies, the overall atmosphere is quite good. What it fails to do and what I kind of expect classical music to do nowadays is evoke some kind of picture in my mind. Be it a walk through a garden, a day by the sea or anything else, this doesn’t manage to do that. So unfortunately this doesn’t get any better than pretty good for me. Still, nice submission.

Wolfking: Fates Warning – Monument
This was really boring for me on my first listen and the higher pitched vocals symbolized everything I don’t like that much about prog-vocalists. I’m still not fond of the vocals (at all), but the rest of the song grew on me a bit. It actually has a decent atmosphere and some good riffs in the start. My favourite part is definitely the part where he shuts up, though (aka the instrumental part). That part is pretty groovy and has some nice guitar solos, my favourite being the acoustic solo (I just love myself some good acoustic guitar solos). Unfortunately the singer starts again after that cool break and drags the song down once more. I feel kind of bad giving you the worst score this round after you just barely made it through the cutting line, but that’s just how life is.
Also, what the hell is that happy part of the song ends? That totally comes out of nowhere.

Jingle.boy: Dec Burek – Promised
This starts of rather soft, with some programmed drums and a synth. The voice fits absolutely perfectly here, and it doesn’t hurt the song that I’m a fan of deep, soulful and calm voices in general (Granted, the chorus is quite a bit higher, but it’s still nice). Thinking back to the song after listening to it, I don’t really remember any particular moments or melodies, but the haunting and somber atmosphere at the start and the moment where it suddenly gets louder with electric guitars and a very fitting solo. All this would have given you something pretty close to maximum score, but there are some points that do drag it down slightly, mainly the ending. I felt it could have been a bit shorter, because it grew kind of repetitive by the end. Also, it’s somewhat lacking in punch because there really aren’t that many bass frequencies. Still, one of the better songs this round, if not the best.

Sacul: Alter Bridge – Blackbird
I woke up today with the chorus of this stuck in my head. I quite like the intro, but the really strong parts are after it gets loud for the first time. No matter if it’s loud or quiet after that, the dynamics really carry the song and keep in interesting and engaging all the way through. There are some clear stand out moments that really give me that emotional impact which raises a song from good / very good to fantastic and make it deserving of a really high score. Namely, those are: every chorus, but especially the end of the second chorus with that awesome vocal moment and the second part of the guitar solo when the whole band kicks in back again. And the ending of course. Totally loving his almost-screaming in combination with the heavy distorted guitars. It needs the calm outro to calm down again after that. Great work, this was definitely the best song this round, and by quite a margin!
MAY YOU NEVER BE BROKEN AGAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNN

Nekov: Lights & Motion – Drift
I’m not sure how to classify this genre-wise. It’s instrumental, has guitars, drums, bass some synths and violins (?). There are some build-ups as well that would make it rather post-rocky, but it’s just too happy for post-rock. No matter the genre, I quite like this. It has a nice cheerful atmosphere, some moments you can rock out to but there’s something lacking that would make it a great song. While I can appreciate it for what it is, I don’t really feel it all that much.

Evermind: Roger Waters – It’s a Miracle
I really like the atmosphere the organ in the background creates here. I also like all the things he does with his voice to enhance that atmosphere, while still staying rather quiet most of the time. Lyric-wise, there are some parts that I like, and others that are a bit cringeworthy, even though I’m fond of the overall topic. It’s quite long, but the variations in the vocals and occasional keyboard, guitar and drum parts keep it interesting. The strongest parts for me are probably the kind of creepy chanting near the end, and the short solo that closes it off. Still, this is not your best submission so far and I liked David Gilmour more (just to have a bit of a Pink Floyd – showdown ;)).

Scorpion: Fanticide – My Regret
I found this really bland and boring on first listen, but it grew on me so much that it’s now my second favourite song this round. What you wrote in your PM about the vocals being the best part about this song and really emotional is certainly true. Reading along to the lyrics is what made it so much better for me. I wouldn’t have guessed this was about drug addiction if you hadn’t told me though. The overall atmosphere in this is just so strong, even though it doesn’t have that many moments that stick out to me. The mood of the song really conveys the inner turmoil that is portrayed in the lyrics. Especially that screams at the end, mixed with the clean vocals are just amazing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #498 on: February 12, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »
Props for sending Blackbild Lucas, that's an amazing song and I'm slightly mad at myself that I didn't think of it.

Also :metal for liking Fanticide. It's actually a project by DTF's very own Adami, and the whole album is one of the best concept albums to come from this decade so far, in my opinion, and while My Regret is one of the strongest songs, atmospherically, I find that the album works best taken as an album from start to finish.

If you're interested, check it out on bandcamp: https://fanticide.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-of-grace/
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #499 on: February 12, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Also, I just did the maths adding my scores and the only ranks that didn't change are first and last, everyone is in a different position than they were before. Of course the secondary judges still have a say in this as well.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #500 on: February 12, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
My prediction about the top 2 songs being by 2 out of the 3 bottom ranked players didn’t totally come true, as there was one other song that grew on me quite a bit

:lucien:

Jingle.boy: Dec Burek – Promised
Still, one of the better songs this round, if not the best.

Sacul: Alter Bridge – Blackbird
Great work, this was definitely the best song this round, and by quite a margin!

Not that Blackbird isn't a great song... I'm just confused about these (seemingly) contradicting statements.   :lol

No biggie... It would seem I did ok, and for a Green/Tyrias round, that's a great thing for this cochise.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #501 on: February 12, 2016, 02:32:05 PM »
Oh yeah, what I actually wanted to write was "even though it’s not the best". That’s what you get for not doing a spell check after finishing I guess. Sorry for that. (You still came in third, if it's any consolation).

And while I'm correcting stuff: looking back, Blackbird is actually just slightly ahead of second place, but those two songs have quite a head start on the rest of the field. I hadn't written the write-up for number 2 and put a final score when I wrote that

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: February 12, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
the best song was actually mine  :tup

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #503 on: February 12, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
the best song was actually mine  :tup

You forgot to send it though  ::)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: February 12, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »
I wasn't sure if sending Blackbird to you or 425, but I'm so glad you liked it, fantastic track :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R4 results, part 1/3
« Reply #505 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:22 PM »
Quote from: Mr.Red
I'll try to get my results by Sunday. Tyrias stop putting me to shame.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #506 on: February 12, 2016, 08:25:35 PM »
Just dropping in to approve of Blackbird. One of my favorite songs ever and it's always good to see it getting a new fan.  :tup
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline 425

« Reply #507 on: February 12, 2016, 09:16:15 PM »
Quote from: Mr.Red
I'll try to get my results by Sunday. Tyrias stop putting me to shame.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #508 on: February 12, 2016, 09:20:58 PM »
I'm not sure if I have ever listened to Blackbird (the song). I usually get bored with the album before I get that far in.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #509 on: February 12, 2016, 10:04:13 PM »
Most beautiful but only 'pretty good'?  :huh:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #510 on: February 13, 2016, 12:07:59 AM »
Most beautiful but only 'pretty good'?  :huh:
Most beautiful this round, which was rather weak Compared to others. And beauty isn't the only thing that can make a song great, other songs just did other areas better.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #511 on: February 13, 2016, 12:11:47 AM »
Well something beautiful would certainly earn anyone a high (or a more than good at least) score in my roulette, just saying  :corn

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #512 on: February 13, 2016, 12:33:29 AM »
It's not like seneca got a bad score, or anything, he's pretty much on round average. But something can be really beautiful without having that little extra that makes a pretty good song into a fantastic one, imho.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #513 on: February 13, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
Well something beautiful would certainly earn anyone a high (or a more than good at least) score in my roulette, just saying  :corn

Well, that's what I've sent for your Round 6. I'm hoping for a great score.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #514 on: February 13, 2016, 11:05:21 AM »

Well, that's what I've sent for your Round 6. I'm hoping for a great score.
My song is beautiful aswell, but in a different way that he will probably not understand.  >:(

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #515 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »
It's not like seneca got a bad score, or anything, he's pretty much on round average. But something can be really beautiful without having that little extra that makes a pretty good song into a fantastic one, imho.

I understand  :smiley:

It just caught me off guard when I was first reading the writeup.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: February 14, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »
It's almost Monday here  :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: February 14, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
Wow, and I actually put some thought in this round, well I thought.  :lol  That's some pretty negative opinions on Ray Alder too, but that's life and opinions for you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #518 on: February 14, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #519 on: February 14, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
Yeah, it's gonna be another day or two. It's been a busy week and weekend.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: February 15, 2016, 04:38:44 AM »
Wow, and I actually put some thought in this round, well I thought.  :lol  That's some pretty negative opinions on Ray Alder too, but that's life and opinions for you.

Clearly the wrong roulette to send Ray Alder. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: February 15, 2016, 04:50:22 AM »

Shows how much research I did then.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: February 15, 2016, 04:54:29 AM »

Shows how much research I did then.  :lol

I wouldn't have known either.  The 'clearly' part only comes after the verdict.  Hindsight is 20/20

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #523 on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »
Well, given my comment on Yes' vocalist in my review of that Jethro Tull song, you could have guessed this wouldn't go too well  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: February 15, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »
Well, given my comment on Yes' vocalist in my review of that Jethro Tull song, you could have guessed this wouldn't go too well  :lol

I haven't read any other writeups.