Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 107540 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R6 results in, start sending R7
« Reply #805 on: March 15, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »
i like roulettes where the host(s) are clearly enjoying themselves instead of making it like an obligation or something
this shines through in part with how much the host interacts with the roulette participants and in part how much effort is put into write-ups

so yeah i agree that really short writeups are super annoying because it makes it look like the host doesn't care enough but w/e  :lol

Well, obviously, this too, but how difficult could it be to write at least a few sentences that are a bit more descriptive than "I like it"?

The really short write-ups also don't help to figure out anything specific about the host tastes, which isn't a problem with Sacul since his tastes are a jumbled mess anyway - and don't go saying Fluffy Lothario described them quite well in the beginning of your roulette, this post was only a slightly less jumbled mess than your tastes, as far as my opinion goes :lol - but it is a problem with Mr. Red since I don't even know who he is.

I'm think that might be intentionally done just in case someone can recognize the writing style.

Is it such a big deal after we played no less than six rounds already? I wouldn't mind if he finally came out and said who he is.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:54:35 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #806 on: March 15, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
Sometimes I wished I could sum my tastes up in a sentence or two, but I guess I can't help it, so I made a 5-page document that only like 2 players read :P

But yeah, I'd like to know Mr Red's identity after this roulette is over - I think he and I would get along quite well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:03:54 AM by Sacul »

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #807 on: March 15, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
I've been trying to figure out how I do write-ups best in this roulette, since they were imo rather weak in my first roulette. At first I tried writing them in silence after my last listen of the songs, but that seemed to dry (and it was kind of boring to be honest :lol). So now what I'm doing is just writing them while I listen to the songs one last time, so what you get in my write-ups are immediate reactions. Sometimes this leads to moments where I'm not quite finished with one sentence and then there's an awesome moment and I just write something along the lines of "OMG and the solo is amazing". Not very sophisticated, but I guess it gets the point across rather nicely.

As for who Mr. Red is, I'm actually not quite sure when it will be revealed. 425 and me obviously know who it is, so I'm not really in a hurry to find out, but I would be really interested in finding out if I was a participant.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: March 15, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
I bet Mr Red is someone we all know somehow, and HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA  :2metal:

*trumpets*

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #809 on: March 15, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
That's a pretty interesting topic, and I think Tyrias nails it, that's exactly how I ended up and started out doing it. It doesn't matter how poorly structured my writeups might've ended up (maybe for some people it does), I mostly just wrote whatever stood out as above or below average while the song was playing - just the key points. Then afterwards I tried giving the thing a bit of shape, but it wasn't my priority. Above all I just want to make sure my pro's and cons come across so the contestant knows what's up, even by adding a simple comment on the bridge, or the guitar tone, or maybe even the genre of the band, you can give the person who sent the song a bit of guidance.

I have no idea who Mr. Red is, but if he likes Sacul's submissions he is most likely not a human being  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: March 15, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
Yet he loved Being Human :neverusethis:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: March 15, 2016, 10:20:43 AM »
That's a pretty interesting topic, and I think Tyrias nails it, that's exactly how I ended up and started out doing it. It doesn't matter how poorly structured my writeups might've ended up (maybe for some people it does), I mostly just wrote whatever stood out as above or below average while the song was playing - just the key points. Then afterwards I tried giving the thing a bit of shape, but it wasn't my priority. Above all I just want to make sure my pro's and cons come across so the contestant knows what's up, even by adding a simple comment on the bridge, or the guitar tone, or maybe even the genre of the band, you can give the person who sent the song a bit of guidance.

That's a fine approach I think. I actually do the write-ups while listening to the music too, but I usually listen to the song right before I start to write, then put the song on repeat while I'm writing.

Yet he loved Being Human :neverusethis:

Well we usually tend to appreciate some things only when we don't have them, so that makes sense.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: March 15, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
Anyway, sent. Wonder if my song will be the longest one in this round.

Offline 425

« Reply #813 on: March 15, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
I'm not in the lead because 425 doesn't love my songs enough  :sadpanda:

Send better songs.

I've been trying to figure out how I do write-ups best in this roulette, since they were imo rather weak in my first roulette. At first I tried writing them in silence after my last listen of the songs, but that seemed to dry (and it was kind of boring to be honest :lol). So now what I'm doing is just writing them while I listen to the songs one last time, so what you get in my write-ups are immediate reactions. Sometimes this leads to moments where I'm not quite finished with one sentence and then there's an awesome moment and I just write something along the lines of "OMG and the solo is amazing". Not very sophisticated, but I guess it gets the point across rather nicely.

This is pretty much exactly what I do—I write them while I'm listening to the songs for the last time. I then decide what the score is after completing the writeup, though obviously I usually have a decent idea of what the score is going to be coming in. I try to do a few things in the writeups:

• Give a brief stylistic description of the song so that anyone reading along who doesn't know it has a general idea of what I'm talking about, and so that I can comment on how I feel about the style of music ("I don't usually like death metal" "I often love chill electronic stuff like this").
  • Comment on a few general things that I liked about the song; i.e., the vocal melodies, the riffs, the atmosphere.
  • If I had a definite favorite part, name that and comment on why I liked it.
  • If there was something I disliked or was confused by about the song, comment specifically on that.
  • Most importantly, sum up the writeup by giving a general sense of how I feel about the song, with the goal of having the feeling I'm describing match the score that I'm going to give. If I'm giving a 4.5/5.0, my writeup should be glowing. If I'm giving a 3.0/5.0, I still probably like the song, but I should give some sense of what held it back from me and what I didn't particularly care for.

The writeups are often derived in part from informal notes that I take during my first and second listens. Here's an example of how that process typically takes place:
Bent Knee - Being Human

First Listen:
Wow sad piano intro and then we go off into some weird riffing stuff. This song is creepy. The female singer is good but this is creepy. Why is she imagining my dead body! I mean this seems really avant garde and I’m not sure I like this much at all. I see this submitted all the time and now I’m confused because like I expected this great thing and I just don’t get much from this at all. Maybe it will grow but what

Second Listen/Score Guess:
I mean, I really like the intro, and the singer has a quite nice voice. Whenever it calms down and gets all subtle and she sings, it’s pretty solid. The instrumentation is just bizarre. Why is she imagining my dead body? This actually reaches something I would call a pretty good crescendo. So this has some stuff I like a fair bit and stuff that’s like eh. Right now 3. Could grow. We’ll see.

Which results in:

Sacul: Bent Knee - Being Human

Okay, so this a very, very strange song. It opens off with a very creepy, very soft piano intro that does its job nicely. The singer is unquestionably talented, and the melodies are strong

And then things just get weird. The song kind of alternates between these nice little piano parts and these big bombastic, abrasive sections of staccato intrumentation.

I’m going to be quite honest, on first listen, I was completely turned off. I didn’t like this song at all. It got better on repeated listens to the extent that I can make sense of what is going on the entire time. And there’s a significant amount of stuff that I genuinely like. The singer is quite talented and the vocal parts are all pretty good.

The downside: a lot of the instrumentation isn’t really my thing. The staccato parts are not that appealing to me, and I would definitely prefer the piano and vocal parts appearing in a somewhat different song. This is one of those songs that feels a little to me like it’s trying too hard to be different for the sake of being different. On the other hand, I really did like some things about it quite a bit. So while I don’t really get the roulette favorite status it seems that this might enjoy, it will get a decent score from me.

With a score of 3.0/5.0.

The result here is that I have some fairly long writeups. But from what I'm seeing in this conversation, people seem to prefer that, so that seems to be all good. Personally, I can't imagine distilling three or four listens and a week of thinking about a song into just one sentence like "I liked the heavy parts, but the singer was annoying. 3/5." And I totally understand people's frustration with that kind of writeup, so I try to err on the side of providing more detail rather than less.

I have no idea who Mr. Red is, but if he likes Sacul's submissions he is most likely not a human being  :lol

This is true, and I can't say I've seen direct evidence that Mr. Red is human.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: March 15, 2016, 12:29:13 PM »
I used to do the same write-up process for the first rounds of my v2, but then shit got busy and stopped doing it not to delay things. Might do it once more for the finals tho.

And Being Human is awesome for those of us who like creepy stuff  :loser:

Offline 425

« Reply #815 on: March 15, 2016, 12:33:15 PM »
I needed a song to use as an example, and since a main theme of the post already was "making fun of how I don't like a lot of what Sacul sends as well as he would like me to," the choice was obvious. :biggrin:
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: March 15, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
 :'(

I'm sending Merzbow in your round then.

Offline 425

« Reply #817 on: March 15, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
I don't know what that is, but I somehow doubt that I'll like it.

And Sacul, you know I appreciate you. I still haven't forgotten you sending me the best EP.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #818 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:17 PM »
Being Human was not creepy at all for me :lol. Also, I checked out that album and Being Human was one of the weaker songs on there, My highlights being In God We Trust, Battle Creek, Sunshine, Way Too Long and actually pretty much the whole album, cause it's that good.

And I think Merzbow is a noise artist, isn't he :metal?

Edit: Just checked him out and lasted 55 seconds before I had to turn it off again. Which was about 1/20th of the song :-X.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #819 on: March 15, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »
those four are probably my 2-5 for the album  :lol
Being Human is my favorite still though

I want a roulette with a host who really likes weird metal bcuz I am really into weird metal lately

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #820 on: March 15, 2016, 04:46:57 PM »
I'm not sending this song, but I'd like to share it here anyways (with any of the judges or other contestants or anyone else following), for those of you who haven't heard or seen it.

Tori Amos - "Me and A Gun" (Live)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzCxi2yf5s
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #821 on: March 15, 2016, 09:22:18 PM »
3/5 have submitted thus far.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: March 15, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »
Sent some trip-hop with cello  :heart

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #823 on: March 15, 2016, 10:35:01 PM »
Sent some trip-hop with cello  :heart
is this el manana or actual trip hop

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: March 15, 2016, 10:37:40 PM »
trve trip-hop, only for kvlt people

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #825 on: March 15, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »
ok just making sure bcuz rym lists gorillaz as trip-hop and el manana def has cello but if it's something else then i get to not know it at all and stay ignorant

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #826 on: March 15, 2016, 10:50:47 PM »
I've seen this posted in the What Album Are You Listening To? thread a few times by...someone. So, maybe you should know it. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: March 15, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
Google Translate doesn't seem to work for this page  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: March 15, 2016, 11:31:19 PM »
It's because it's written in post-modern.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #829 on: March 16, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
I have sent, that should mean everybody's in.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #830 on: March 16, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »
I have sent, that should mean everybody's in.
Correct.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #831 on: March 17, 2016, 04:00:26 AM »
I'm not sending this song, but I'd like to share it here anyways (with any of the judges or other contestants or anyone else following), for those of you who haven't heard or seen it.

I just checked this out now and it's incredible. So emotional.

Also, I did my first listen of all the songs, and everything is fine for the theme. Scorpion did push it to the edge of what is acceptable in terms of male/female-ratio with his song.

My first impression of this round is pretty :heart.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:15:00 AM by Tyrias »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #832 on: March 17, 2016, 04:22:51 AM »
Scorpion did push it to the edge of what is acceptable in terms of male/female-ratio with his song.
I listened to it before passing it along and thought it was borderline, figured you should have the final say since it's your theme.

Also so that everyone knows: 425 and Mr. Red have not given me any themes, so the rest of this tier (and the roulette) is open.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R7 all in, results :soon:
« Reply #833 on: March 17, 2016, 05:36:41 AM »
I just hope that that won't be reason for a deduction, but oh well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #834 on: March 17, 2016, 05:44:39 AM »
I just hope that that won't be reason for a deduction, but oh well.

No it won't. If I accept it it would be unfair to deduct you points. Either it fits the theme and I accept it or I have someone send another song, but I'm not going to deduct you points because I'm not certain of my own theme.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #835 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:20 AM »
Quote from: Mr. Red
Wow… This is probably the strongest round I have heard so far. There is a reason why you guys are in the top five. All of the songs are awesome.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: March 18, 2016, 07:46:23 AM »
 :D
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: March 19, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »
Saving from page 2
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: March 19, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
:soon:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #839 on: March 19, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »

I just checked this out now and it's incredible. So emotional.

Maybe this should've been my submission  :D
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.