Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 107545 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R4 results, part 3/3 - SEND ROUND 5
« Reply #560 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »
Wait wait wait, so Tyrias listened to the studio version too? If so, yeah, for better or worse I kindly request a relisten.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #561 on: February 17, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
maybe you should all do the round over so Kade will have to send three more times.  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »
maybe you should all do the round over so Kade will have to send three more times.  :lol

I'll do it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:34 PM »
More Winger avatars too - win all round.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #564 on: February 17, 2016, 10:24:27 PM »
Why are you talking about yourself in the third person? :neverusethis:

Offline 425

« Reply #565 on: February 17, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »
Wait wait wait, so Tyrias listened to the studio version too? If so, yeah, for better or worse I kindly request a relisten.

In case you missed it, here's what Tyrias said... I don't think he ever updated us on whether or not he did this.

Yup, the Spotify link for Evermind's song is definitely a studio version. I'm willing to listen to the live version and correct my score though (you should be aware that it will also go down if I like the live version less).

For the record, I listened to the studio version three times and scored the song a 3.5 after the third listen. I then listened to the live version once and changed to a 4.0—that transformation probably would have also occurred with a fourth listen to the studio version.

If you have a version somewhere with better lyrics, that version gets a 4.5 with a solid chance at a 5.0. :P
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: February 17, 2016, 10:36:10 PM »
Okay so 425 has take into account the live version and scored accordingly. Tyrias and Red, if you could, listen to the live version a few times and let me know if you would like to adjust your score or if you would like it to remain the same - but do let me know either way.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: February 17, 2016, 10:41:54 PM »
Red listened to a live version. He said his rating improved from 3.0 to 4.0 after that. My only concern is Tyrias now. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #568 on: February 17, 2016, 10:50:07 PM »
Wow... Tyrias had me all hot an bothered that I was going to improve this round, not drop down a spot.  Need I remind everyone that I predicted that after the first two rounds, it's impossible to dig out of a hole.  Nekov shit the bed with Tyrias; Scrop shit the bed with the other two judges... yet both are still leading the pack.

Not bitching, just pointing out how difficult/impossible it is to recover from a poor start.

Kade, I'm AMF'g with ya bro!  Well, at least we won't need worry about female vocalists.  Time for Costanza.

It's late, but I'll send within the next 24 hours because....

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: February 17, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »
Wow... Tyrias had me all hot an bothered that I was going to improve this round, not drop down a spot.  Need I remind everyone that I predicted that after the first two rounds, it's impossible to dig out of a hole.  Nekov shit the bed with Tyrias; Scrop shit the bed with the other two judges... yet both are still leading the pack.

Not bitching, just pointing out how difficult/impossible it is to recover from a poor start.

Kade, I'm AMF'g with ya bro!  Well, at least we won't need worry about female vocalists.  Time for Costanza.

It's late, but I'll send within the next 24 hours because....

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #570 on: February 17, 2016, 11:09:28 PM »
Chad, you're only 1.5 points behind Sacul. In a score out of ten roulette, that's equivalent to a half or a single point (0.6 of a point, to be precise). And you're only the equivalent of 1 point (or 1.2) from reaching Scrop/seneca who are tied in second place. You could easily make that up in two rounds if you send the right stuff. Nekov is really the only tough one to get infront of from your perspective.

I think the reason you haven't caught up thus far is more because of your state of mind, thinking that you can't possibly get anywhere, more than it's about the math.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: February 17, 2016, 11:46:27 PM »
I'm trying not to be too snarky here... just being honest - and maybe this is the scotch's talking  :lol

but....

Thanks for the pep-talk Dave, but ffs... I'm not Thomas the Train.  :biggrin: A positive "I-think-I-can" attitude does not make all the difference.  My 'state of mind' thought that the last song was going to be a nice blend of catering to Tyrias' tastes, while also somewhat appealing to the secondary judges.  That 'state of mind' got a score that tied for 4/7.  It wasn't my 'state of mind' that dropped me into 2nd last place.

Look, I'm not bitching... but there's a saying in my business - once is an event; twice is a coincidence; three times is a trend.  This is clearly a trend.  Sure, mathematically speaking, I'm not eliminated.  Knowing and aligning (or lack thereof) to the tastes of the judges is a different matter.  Kade and I (and the eliminated players) clearly couldn't find it.  I'm ok with that.... I'm just stating the reality of the situation - not bitching.  Can I please make that perfectly clear, since in prior roulettes, I've been perceived that way.

I'm not bitching, just stating facts.

I'm not going to intentionally tank, but I'll shart myself if I make it past these rounds next two rounds.   

It's all good.  Seriously.

P.S.  Remember... three (triple) scotch's.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #572 on: February 17, 2016, 11:51:39 PM »
Did we already get a link to the live version Evermine wantes us to listen to? If so, I missed it. I'm leaving to go skiing for the day in a few, but I'll try to listen to it in the evening and post my score changes (or if it stays the same).

Also, despite dropping a bit in ranking, I don't think his chances have gotten worse. He just needs one fuck-up from one of the other players or send one really good song, and he can get anywhere up to 2nd place. And first, but Nekov would really have to fuck up for that. It seems doable until round 9 though.

Also, I'd would bet totally funny if you made it to the next round after your last post. :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: February 18, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
If you have a version somewhere with better lyrics, that version gets a 4.5 with a solid chance at a 5.0. :P

Miraculous you call it, babe
You ain't seen nothing yet
I sent a glorious live version
You got the studio one instead

:neverusethis:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: February 18, 2016, 12:04:43 AM »
Did we already get a link to the live version Evermine wantes us to listen to? If so, I missed it. I'm leaving to go skiing for the day in a few, but I'll try to listen to it in the evening and post my score changes (or if it stays the same).
No, we've established that I failed to give you the live version.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #575 on: February 18, 2016, 12:07:32 AM »
No, we've established that I failed to give you the live version.
I was just wondering becase the others apparently listened to it.

Offline 425

« Reply #576 on: February 18, 2016, 12:20:26 AM »

I sent a glorious live version
You got the studio one instead

:neverusethis:

The first couple of lines are actually pretty cool. Beyond that...

I was just wondering becase the others apparently listened to it.

The version I listened to was the only live version on Spotify, the one from the live album In the Flesh.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: February 18, 2016, 12:32:33 AM »
That's the one.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #578 on: February 18, 2016, 12:52:34 AM »
Whoa, didn't think I'd place as well with Tyrias given that he didn't like my song all that much initially, but I'll take it.

Will send sometime today or maybe tomorrow, I'm still deciding between a couple of songs.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:51 AM »
I'm trying not to be too snarky here... just being honest - and maybe this is the scotch's talking  :lol

but....

Thanks for the pep-talk Dave, but ffs... I'm not Thomas the Train.  :biggrin: A positive "I-think-I-can" attitude does not make all the difference.  My 'state of mind' thought that the last song was going to be a nice blend of catering to Tyrias' tastes, while also somewhat appealing to the secondary judges.  That 'state of mind' got a score that tied for 4/7.  It wasn't my 'state of mind' that dropped me into 2nd last place.

Look, I'm not bitching... but there's a saying in my business - once is an event; twice is a coincidence; three times is a trend.  This is clearly a trend.  Sure, mathematically speaking, I'm not eliminated.  Knowing and aligning (or lack thereof) to the tastes of the judges is a different matter.  Kade and I (and the eliminated players) clearly couldn't find it.  I'm ok with that.... I'm just stating the reality of the situation - not bitching.  Can I please make that perfectly clear, since in prior roulettes, I've been perceived that way.

I'm not bitching, just stating facts.

I'm not going to intentionally tank, but I'll shart myself if I make it past these rounds next two rounds.   

It's all good.  Seriously.

P.S.  Remember... three (triple) scotch's.

Yeah, my tastes clearly aren't a match for the judges either.  I thought Fates Warning might have scratched their itch a little more, but again a miss.  Anyway, I'll send something decent, and it looks like I'm toast but I'll see.  I thought about tanking too sending some Behemoth or something, but I'll send something legit.

Anyway, that's the way it goes, carry on.  Looking for something to send now. Basically Chad and I need to blitz both rounds and a few others to bomb both, but it still probably won't save me.

I think the reason you haven't caught up thus far is more because of your state of mind, thinking that you can't possibly get anywhere, more than it's about the math.

Sorry Dave, but this really makes no sense in regards to the situation.  I was positive with Fates Warning too.  It was the first round I actually tried to align some tastes and put some real effort and thought into it, and it pretty much got me eliminated.  I ain't mad either bro.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #580 on: February 18, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
I agree Fates Warning would seem like one of the safest things you can send in these, don't know a ton about judges tastes but it's usually pretty hard to go wrong with Ray Alder.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #581 on: February 18, 2016, 04:38:57 AM »
Sorry Dave, but this really makes no sense in regards to the situation.  I was positive with Fates Warning too.  It was the first round I actually tried to align some tastes and put some real effort and thought into it, and it pretty much got me eliminated.  I ain't mad either bro.

I will admit that was a stupid thing to say. But I do think jingle.chad is blowing out of proportion how far behind he is and how little of a chance he has. He's like 3 points from being at the top under Nekov in a game where the score is 25 each round, he's only 1.5 points away from being above Sacul, and there's two more rounds before eliminations. He could easily avoid elimination and even climb the ranks with the next 50 points, it's a tiny difference in score and not some almost insurmountable challenge as he appears to be implying.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: February 18, 2016, 04:52:28 AM »
It's all good mate, time will tell.

Sent my song too.  Went back to the no thought whatsoever strategy.  Need some people to seriously fuck up :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: February 18, 2016, 05:31:21 AM »
Well, I completely misjudged the target for that song but since I'm still in the lead it's all good.

@bolsters: Could you please stop mentioning my name and position in this roulette? Are you trying to jinx me or something? Which of the other participants is putting you up to this? I can offer you more money than them  ;)

@wolfking: That avatar change is soooo confusing  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: February 18, 2016, 05:39:02 AM »
@bolsters: Could you please stop mentioning my name and position in this roulette? Are you trying to jinx me or something? Which of the other participants is putting you up to this? I can offer you more money than them  ;)
What's it worth to you then? Let the bidding commence. :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R4 results, part 2/3
« Reply #585 on: February 18, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »
As you say, it really does work better in the context of the album, and I guess I see where you're coming from with the length. Glad that you still liked it. If you want to have a listen, check out https://fanticide.bandcamp.com/album/the-fall-of-grace.

I knew I recognized this band name!  Cagey play.  I just might submit something by a forum member next round.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »
Alright, so now I'm at home, here goes:

425, I actually dislike Roger Waters too, but this song is so fabulous even lyrics can't stop me from loving it. And you say the first couple of lines are actually pretty cool, yet you complain about name-dropping Pepsi and McDonalds which happens in the very first couple of lines. :lol The passage about Lloyd-Webber though... yeah. I recall someone on YouTube called this "a subtle dig". Hahaha.

Kade, I don't know what's up with the judges - because I keep getting somewhat good scores, so they're not that hopeless - but this Fates Warning song deserves much better scores. 8 + 3 + 3 isn't even funny.

With the theme for Round 7 in place I guess I'll have to change the order I was going to send my songs in. Which means, 425 gets hard rock / power metal 10-minutes long epic; Mr. Red gets very chill male/female-fronted ballad with piano, acoustic guitar and sax; Tyrias gets epic progressive metal with female vocals (if I survive, that is).

Before I send my song I want to see my updated score though. :biggrin:

Offline 425

« Reply #587 on: February 18, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
Yeah, my tastes clearly aren't a match for the judges either.  I thought Fates Warning might have scratched their itch a little more, but again a miss.  Anyway, I'll send something decent, and it looks like I'm toast but I'll see.  I thought about tanking too sending some Behemoth or something, but I'll send something legit.

You had two hits with me out of four submissions so far. I really liked Nightingale, and I really liked Evergrey.

I'm not saying you're not in a disadvantageous position with regard to the scoring, but there is somewhere where your tastes and mine match.

And for what it's worth, Parama almost won my solo roulette, and then proceeded to totally bomb with me here, so even having what seems like more similar taste than you and I have is no guarantee.

425, I actually dislike Roger Waters too, but this song is so fabulous even lyrics can't stop me from loving it. And you say the first couple of lines are actually pretty cool, yet you complain about name-dropping Pepsi and McDonalds which happens in the very first couple of lines. :lol The passage about Lloyd-Webber though... yeah. I recall someone on YouTube called this "a subtle dig". Hahaha.

:lol By the first couple of lines, I meant literally

And then rapidly downhill from there. Into Pepsi. And McDonald's.

I've actually spent rather a lot of time the past couple of days thinking about how confused and frustrated I am by how much I simultaneously love this song's music and hate its lyrics, so you'll get no disagreements from me that, musically, it's fabulous! :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #588 on: February 18, 2016, 09:52:19 AM »
Sorry Evermind, no score update today. I had a skiing accident where someone else might have been hurt (don't know yet, unless they contact me) and I need to write a memory report in case I need my insurance to covee expenses. So probably tomorrow, I'm not in the mood to enjoy a song right now.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: February 18, 2016, 10:29:25 AM »
Sorry Evermind, no score update today. I had a skiing accident where someone else might have been hurt (don't know yet, unless they contact me) and I need to write a memory report in case I need my insurance to covee expenses. So probably tomorrow, I'm not in the mood to enjoy a song right now.

No worries man, it's nothing urgent anyway. Real life first, especially in cases like this. No need to apologize too.

I'm sending my song then! Not sure if I will have the time for it on the weekend, so better send it now than to be 425.

Offline 425

« Reply #590 on: February 18, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
You send late just three or four times and all of a sudden it's like Elite never even existed.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: February 18, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »
You send late just three or four times and all of a sudden it's like Elite never even existed.

Elite isn't judging this roulette so I decided to be relevant. :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #592 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »
I sent something completely different from what I've been doing so far. Something I really dig, but don't have much experience sending in roulettes.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: February 18, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »
I sent something completely different from what I've been doing so far.

Went the same route. I think this round might be the one where I lose the lead
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #594 on: February 18, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »
Ugh I'm between two songs, and dunno which one to send :dangerwillrobinson: