Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 106587 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R2 results up, start sending for R3
« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2016, 08:28:29 PM »
Is there only this round until I can get eliminated?

:lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #316 on: January 26, 2016, 08:32:49 PM »
Yeah. :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38:45 PM »
well that's a fair bit lower than i'd expect from 425's writeup, but  :lol

Enjoy these writeups, and I'm going to enjoy this brief time period when everyone is happy because I liked everyone's songs, before everyone starts saying "why did my song get 4 fewer points than his? I thought you liked both of them!"

Sorry buddy. :-\

A 10.5 on this system is equal to a 3.5 on a 5 point system, which would have given you a tie for 5th place last round. This round was just somewhat stronger than the last.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
well that's a fair bit lower than i'd expect from 425's writeup, but  :lol
This.

Well, if I can find another great song, I'll hopefully pass to the following tier.

Offline 425

« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
Sorry, other buddy. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »
Well, "I like this a lot" in an out of 5 score system would be a +4 or 4.5 for me :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2016, 08:43:51 PM »
and a 3.5 is equivalent to a 7/10, which isn't a very good score, barely a C  :lol
but oh well i don't mind getting eliminated anyways

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:44 PM »
Yeah. :lol

Sweet.

I'm happy to bow out.  I would have loved to been able to put more time into this but I have zero time.  I'll send something tonight though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2016, 08:59:52 PM »
@Parama and Sacul:

So I guess my scoring system is going to be:
5(in Sec rounds)/15(when I'm main judge): This is absolutely amazing. I don't wanna listen to any other roulette submissions right now but check out this artist discography instead.
4/12: Really great song, I'll definetely check this artist out after the roulette is over.
3/9: Good song. I can see myself listening to this again or putting it on when I'm in the mood, but I'm not sure I'll check out the artist.
2/6: Ok song. Doesn't impress me at all, but neither is it jarring to listen to.
1/3: Barely listenable. I don't really want to hear of this artist ever again.

Of course there will be points in between these scores, especially when I'm main judge, this is just a rough guideline. (And I really hope I won't have ot give anything below a 1/3 ::) )

My system is loosely based off of Tyrias's. One of the problems in my roulette was that I was a too kind, so I'm trying to be a little harsher, but also consistent.

So 3.5, according to that Tyrias post, is halfway in between "Good song, I can see myself putting it on again, but I'm not sure I'll check out the artist" and "Really great song, I'll definitely check out the artist." How I felt about Athesie fits pretty much exactly halfway between those. I think the song is better than just good, but it's not compelling enough for me to go to up to the 4, the "really great" level.

11.5/15 or 3.83/5 is the last score before 4/5 on the 15 point system. I feel that The Era When We Sang falls just short of that "really great song" level, so it merits the 3.83 score.

Comparing them to the previous round, I liked Athesie around as well as Phoenix Burn, definitely better than the three songs that got 3s, but definitely not as well as the three songs that got 4s. I liked The Era When We Sang better than Phoenix Burn and Athesie, but not quite as well as the songs that got 4s.

So my scoring is definitely consistent a) with how I felt about those songs compared to Tyrias's rubric and b) my scores from the first round.

Maybe there's an argument to be made that my writeups are nicer than my scoring? I will admit that much, when I do the writeups I'm very much a Paula (like the nice judge on American Idol), but then when I do scores, I'm trying to be more realistic, which is something I failed to do in my own roulette. And I try to give some indication in the writeups as to whether your score is going to be higher or lower:

Parama: The Hirsch Effekt - Athesie

While it’s not among the most captivating entries in this round, it definitely belongs on this list of nine really good songs.

Sacul: Blue Sky Black Death - The Era When We Sang

While it isn’t a mind-blowing song that belongs with the very top entries from this round, it’s a good entry. Sacul knew the risks of sending an electronic piece in a round where I am the lead judge, but Sacul also knows me well enough to send one that I like and score right in the thick of things in what turned out to be a strong and very consistent round.

So, sorry if you were misled into believing that I was going to give higher scores, but I definitely stand by the scores I gave.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
cri everytim  :'(

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »
Tied for third with Scorp, not a bad result in my book. Will send something today or tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2016, 10:25:40 PM »
Before sending, I have to ask to the judges: do you like djent?  :P

Offline 425

« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
If it's just djent, I might like it but I'm not likely to be crazy about it. If there's something more to it than just djent, maybe.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2016, 11:41:45 PM »
sent, i still really don't have a good grasp on what red likes except i tried to avoid growls and repetitive stuff  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R2 listening has commenced
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2016, 11:49:24 PM »
Heart of Cygnus is a really obscure pick there Tommy.
Heart of Cygnus  :metal I salute you Scorp.

Courtesy, as pretty much always, of DTF. Thank you to whoever it was who introduced me, btw.

Also I have sent.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2016, 01:10:52 AM »
I have no idea what it is to be honest  :lol  my old school was called Cygnus and it has a special place in my heart so technically I have a heart of cygnus  :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #331 on: January 27, 2016, 01:17:18 AM »

Well, I've never heard a djent song I loved and and quite a few that I didn't like at all.

Also, Love Song by Destiny Potato would get a zero from me because you already sent it in my last roulette ;).

Edit: And that song I sent Evermind and got a 3 out of ten for because it was "djent" was in fact very much not djent, thank you.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:25:10 AM by Tyrias »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #332 on: January 27, 2016, 01:27:50 AM »
What song was it?

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #333 on: January 27, 2016, 01:37:42 AM »
Also, Love Song by Destiny Potato would get a zero from me because you already sent it in my last roulette ;).
Surprised you didn't ban Destiny Potato outright since you gave Love Song a 9.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #334 on: January 27, 2016, 01:40:31 AM »
What song was it?

Stingin' Bell by Biffy Clyro. Yeah the first 10 seconds are pretty heavy, but that's about it.

Surprised you didn't ban Destiny Potato outright since you gave Love Song a 9.

It kind of de-grew on me. My initial impression of that song was a lot better than when I came back to it a bit later.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: January 27, 2016, 01:43:00 AM »
Remember that any weird heavy riff I dislike is djent for me, I said so in the write-up. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #336 on: January 27, 2016, 01:44:00 AM »
Alright, gonna send some tasty Intervals when Evermind does his roulette  :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: January 27, 2016, 01:45:00 AM »
I know Intervals actually. I think I even had them in the banned list back then.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #338 on: January 27, 2016, 05:28:48 AM »
Quote from: Mr. Red
I haven't heard a lot of djent but what I've heard I like, although it's been mainly instrumental.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: January 27, 2016, 05:53:22 AM »
Ok, this is going better than I expected. I have something in mind for the red round but I'm not 100% sure if it's the right thing. I'll give it a thought and send later during the day.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Sign up now! (Ruled & Format posted)
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2016, 05:59:48 AM »
Your scores will carry over from previous tiers, so determining who is going to be eliminated at each Elimination Point will be based on overall scores, not your scores for the current tier.

Looks like this rule is going to make subsequent rounds mostly a moot point.  There's already a 4 point separation between the top 4 and the bottom 5 after two rounds.  Hard for those of us in the bottom tier to recover from that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2016, 06:11:47 AM »
Your scores will carry over from previous tiers, so determining who is going to be eliminated at each Elimination Point will be based on overall scores, not your scores for the current tier.

Looks like this rule is going to make subsequent rounds mostly a moot point.  There's already a 4 point separation between the top 4 and the bottom 5 after two rounds.  Hard for those of us in the bottom tier to recover from that.

On the other hand, you get 25 points each round, so 4 points is not something that's impossible to catch up if you do well. Just looking at my scores from the first round, there was a 4.5 point difference from last to first, and it would have been similar if I had scored out of 15 in the second round.

Also, 425 clear your inbox ;).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2016, 06:19:50 AM »
What if in the next tier you get scores similar to what they already have, and they get scores similar to what you've gotten so far? Then you've caught up. What if you kill it in a round and someone else stumbles? Unless you think everyone is going to perform and get the same scores for the entire roulette, I think there will be plenty of opportunities to catch up or overtake the current leaders.

We've only had two rounds and there's nine before the finals. Two rounds out of nine isn't going to define the entire roulette.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2016, 06:30:56 AM »
While I see your point Chad I have to agree with Tyrias, given that the highest score is 25, 4 points is really not that huge of a difference. And I know you may think it's easier to say this when you're sitting on top  :hat I'm pretty sure I'll screw one round, I've never played a roulette where I was always on top.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »
Not whining, just being a realist.  In baseball (I know you foreigners might not get this  :biggrin:), but the team that is 6 games back with 10 games to play and four teams ahead of them, rarely takes the top seed.  In golf, the player that's six shots back with four players ahead of him doesn't often take home the trophy. I would have to kill it this round (and subsequent rounds), and have all FOUR of those ahead of me drop the ball.  Chances of that happening?  Pretty slim.  Especially considering the lack of congruency between my tastes and Tyrias'.  And for those behind me, they need everyone ahead of them to slip up.

I go by the adage that once is an event, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend... so we'll see how things stand after this round.  All I'm sayin is that it's hard to dig oneself out of a hole - in any situation.  It's not inconceivable, and I'm certainly not :france: by any means.

Not whining, just being a realist.

I should modify my stance to correctly state that "Looks like this rule COULD make subsequent rounds mostly a moot point."
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »
Well, I don't see what the big deal is, this is how every roulette works. If all that mattered was your scores in each of the tiers, someone would be pointing out that you could do really well the whole time and then be eliminated for one single slip-up near the end. That's why when I had the choice of using overall scores or tier scores, I decided that overall was more fair and less volatile.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
Well, I don't see what the big deal is, this is how every roulette works. If all that mattered was your scores in each of the tiers, someone would be pointing out that you could do really well the whole time and then be eliminated for one single slip-up near the end. That's why when I had the choice of using overall scores or tier scores, I decided that overall was more fair and less volatile.

:iagree:  I'm not trying to make it a big deal, just stating my opinion.  Elite and Nekov did 'Survivor' like themes where each round was scored on its own.  There are pros and cons to both formats.  Neither is better or worse than the other, just different.

Now get me an answer to my query.   :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
I have this awesome song from a band that's surprisingly isn't on everyone banned list (I mean, really?), but I went and checked and it's actually 10:05, damn. I'll save it for Round 4 then!

Or maybe I'll send something else by them in this round before anyone does.

edit: oh, the next couple of rounds can be themed. I guess that could ruin my carefully prepared two 10+ minutes long songs for Round 5 and 6.

edit2: can we just have the Tier 2 rounds non-themed? I feel like I have a three perfect songs for these rounds and it's very unlikely I'll be cockblocked on those. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:23:40 AM by Evermind »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »
it's very unlikely I'll be cockblocked on those. :biggrin:

... except for the themes. 

Cock-block him for us Bolsters.  Keep themes in place.