Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105422 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R2 listening has commenced
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
Back when I first joined, Ravenheart basically won any roulette that he played, it seemed to me. Not sure on his quota though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »
Yeah he's up there...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline 425

« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
I'm almost done with some writeups but it seems like this thread is about something else now... So should I just keep those to myself? :P
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
i will stab you if you don't post writeups today  :angel:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »

Offline 425

« Reply #285 on: January 24, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »

So Sacul and Parama get 0/15...

Seems like Tyrias has been using the bold system of "totally random order" for the writeups. I'm going to stick with alphabetical order by participant just because that's easy.

I don't to summon the pitchforks and torches, but right now, I'm doing three listens per round, which is a bit of a contrast to Tyrias's six. Personally, I'm somebody who gets easily fatigued by hearing the same songs again and again, which would probably cause me to get tired of the songs, annoyed by them, and consequently give lower scores if I listened more than about 4 times in so short a time span. Basically, for me to get up to 4 listens, which is what I did in my own roulette, I would need at least 6 days, and to get up to 6 listens it would be more than a week. So in the interest of keeping these songs fresh and getting scores to you quickly, I'm going with three listens right now. Anyway, I noticed in my own roulette that three listens were enough for me to straighten out how each song ranked in comparison to each other and the fourth was usually just serving as a way to be sure of my scores.

Moving on, I completely take back what I said initially about the strength of this round. This was a very strong, very consistent round, that was head and shoulders above round 1 on the whole. You can see that strength in that if you divide my scores for this round by three, they're pretty well above those of round 1. That's a good approximation—the scores should pretty much correspond to how well I like each song from this round compared to the songs from round one if you divide the score by three and compare it. Of course, it's only approximate, since I have much more minute increments to work with on this round than I did on that one—three times as many, since each point on the five point scale corresponds to three points on the fifteen point scale, and I use half-point increments on both. But it should be close.

Enough about the scores that you haven't seen yet and won't find in this post. Writeups follow. This was a very strong round indeed.

Evermind: Absolute Priority - Fear of the Night

Evermind committed a grievous strategical error in his writeup about this song. He compared it to Hallowed Be Thy Name, which is practically heresy.

:biggrin:

Now, seriously, the comparison is fair, because there’s a lyrical similarity and a certain degree of similarity in atmosphere as well. This is a big prog metal epic about a condemned man facing death. Unlike Hallowed, it lacks Bruce Dickinson. This singer, however, is very strong and he definitely fits the song very well. Also unlike Hallowed, it  has a huge anthemic chorus that is repeated at several points through the song. This is a huge plus, because I love big choruses, and this is an awesome one. I actually can’t find the lyrics anywhere, but the beginning of the chorus, the part that sounds like “Rise in me...”, is one of the best moments of the whole round.

The instrumentation here is stellar as well. There’s a nice keyboard solo at about the 2:30 mark, but the real highlight is the guitar solo that takes place about two thirds of the way through the song. This solo and the background keyboard work, really take the song to the next level. The finale, featuring the vocal harmonies over the chorus, is a fitting conclusion for such an epic. My only little qualm here is that lyrically, it sounds like this guy is definitely guilty of murder, and I’m not crazy about being led to relate to killers. That’s a bit of an objection from me, and it does detract from my enjoyment of the song just a bit. However, while this may not be Hallowed Be Thy Name, it’s a very good prog metal epic and one of the best songs of the round.

jingle.boy: Headspace - Soldier

It seems like I’m the only one who had never heard of this band up until now. Apparently they’re a fairly well-known and fairly new prog outfit? I’m surprised I wasn’t at least passingly familiar with them. Anyway, they’ve definitely got my attention with this song.

This song really has a pretty amazing atmosphere for a piano ballad. It’s the work of the singer that does a lot of this, because he really does sound tortured like the speaker in the song should. The bell also goes a long, long way toward creating this feel. It’s really a haunting song. The pianist, of course, also contributes greatly to this atmosphere—there are some great dynamics here, where the pianist will play relatively softly and calmly and then build intensity when the song needs it.

This is a relatively simple song, it’s really just the three very similar verses and that’s it. However, that’s not really much of a factor, because the atmosphere and music are just so strong. Even though this is a ballad on a prog metal album and I have to assume that the rest of the album is fairly different musically, this song has definitely gotten my attention in a big way. To be clear, it did not completely blow me away, but it was a strong entry and make me definitely want to see what this band is all about.

lonestar: Kingcrow - On the Barren Ground

So. Kingcrow. lonestar sent me The Hatch in my roulette, and I remember loving parts of it, and not really caring for others. But I remember really wanting to like it more than I actually ended up liking it.

On the Barren Ground starts really awesomely, with a big riff and then a nice staccato vocal section that goes right into a big anthemic chorus. It’s hard not to sing along to that chorus. The first minute and a half of this song is as good as any.

I remember on The Hatch that I liked the intro and the chorus, and that the rest of the song fell a little flat compared to those. My first couple of listens, I felt the same way about On the Barren Ground. And to some extent, I still do. I think the second verse is good, not great, and the second half of the instrumental section in the middle of the song could be better. The quiet outro is solid, but again, not up to the quality level of the song’s high points.

I definitely feel that this song, on the whole, is better than The Hatch. I really, really like the first 90 seconds, and the chorus is as strong as any. Despite this, for whatever reason, I don’t feel that the whole song crosses that line from very good to great. It’s an impressive entry that has increased my interest in and respect for this band, but I’m not 100% sold on them yet.

Nekov: Dream the Electric Sheep - Listen to Me

This one is a very intriguing entry, some kind of prog rock with a bit of folky influence. I wrote in my initial notes that the song kind of reminded me of a mix between a jam band and prog rock.

Right from the very beginning, it’s attention-grabbing with those initial guitar riffs. It’s all very exciting. The vocal melodies are quite exciting and catchy at pretty much every point in the song. The verses are just as excellent as the brilliant chorus, and the instrumentation, while it is behind the vocals for most of the song, is supremely effective in carrying the song through a variety of ebbs and flows while keeping a really expansive feel throughout the whole thing. The instrumental section is really strong, with the high melodies and the lower work from a guitarist and the bassist really playing off of each other quite well.

I really like this song, and I’m really excited to check out the rest of this band’s discography and see what else they get up to. Is it the best song of the round? Is it the best song of the roulette so far? I mean, there’s that other song, you know the one. But this is stellar.

Parama: The Hirsch Effekt - Athesie

Parama provides another kind of out-there submission, a German pop-metal song from an album with creepy tooth-related artwork. I say this is out-there because it’s not really like anything I’ve ever heard. Ostensibly, yeah, this is a pop song with some metal/hard rock influence. There’s something about the way that the different instrumentation and motifs come in and out, however, that makes this song a bit unusual in terms of feel.

This is one of those songs that felt really weird the first time I listened to it, but by the third listen, really settled in. I’ve come to really enjoy the way that the song oscillates between some rather quiet parts and those loud riffs with catchy vocal melodies.

Contrary to what Parama believed when he read my little sneak peaks, this was the song where I felt that the outro made a huge difference. I don’t really know why, because there’s nothing unusual about repeating a heavy riff on a fade out, but I really like this outro riff. It just makes the whole thing sound more epic when it ends on this riff, and on the first listen, that riff really caught my attention as my favorite part.

It’s safe to say that I like this song quite a bit more than Parama’s first round submission. This is a catchy song that is enjoyable all the way through and that I could see myself returning to in the future. While it’s not among the most captivating entries in this round, it definitely belongs on this list of nine really good songs.

Sacul: Blue Sky Black Death - The Era When We Sang

Sacul, naturally, sends the only electronic entry of the round and therefore the one that is not like the others. This is a very interesting little piece of electronic music, which is a genre that, as Sacul knows better than anyone else, is very hit-or-miss with me. This one is a definite hit. This one starts off as what seems like a pretty simplistic electronic piece, with a few main motifs that repeat a few times (the main little electronic melody and the sampled vocal line).

Around halfway through, however, the music shifts into a less busy section characterized by a beat and some pretty little electronic melodies. From here, the song kind of bursts out into a more triumphant atmosphere featuring some brass instrumentation before closing out with a return to that quiet little electronic melody. The shifts in mood and melody make this song work as a full instrumental composition, because no one motif overstays its welcome.

This is really a very strong piece of electronic music. While it isn’t a mind-blowing song that belongs with the very top entries from this round, it’s a good entry. Sacul knew the risks of sending an electronic piece in a round where I am the lead judge, but Sacul also knows me well enough to send one that I like and score right in the thick of things in what turned out to be a strong and very consistent round.

Scorpion: Heart of Cygnus - The Mountain King

This is really interesting song, stylistically. It’s quite different than what I thought it would be just looking at the name or the artwork, both of which suggest that a prog metal songs of some type. Therefore, the first time I listened to it, I expected the acoustic/folk intro to give way to a full-on rock or metal song, so I was surprised when the expected change never really happened.

That said, this is one of the best entries of the round (Scorpion has a habit of doing that). The folky instrumentation is really just expansive and atmospheric. It doesn’t get boring, it just creates a really lovely atmosphere. The singer is just fantastic. He honestly might be the best singer of the whole roulette so far, though that’s hard to judge given that he makes a relatively brief apperance in this song. His voice is just such a perfect combination of softness, emotion and a touch of power. His three brief appearances are highlights of the song.

The guitar solos are the other highlights of the song. There’s just something awesome about this fast-paced acoustic music with a single electric guitar playing a nice melodic guitar solo under it. The way that the solos frame the second verse, as well, is completely awesome. The keyboard player is not to be underestimated as well, as the symphonic keys provide the perfect touch to fill the thing out, sonically.

Basically, this is a really beautiful and unexpected song that seems to kind of combine prog and folk rock? It’s a really cool entry and is one of my very favorites of the round.

senecadawg2: Glen Hansard - Bird of Sorrow

Every time I come back to this song, it seems, I remember again how good it is. When I’m not listening to it, I find myself doubting that it deserves to get massive marks. Probably why I’ve made noises in the thread to the effect that no one will get anything near a perfect score in this round—I keep forgetting just how good this song is.

Obviously the piano and subtle guitar are important to the atmosphere of this song, but the real strength is in his voice and the vocal melodies. These melodies just flow—each one into the next on the chorus. It’s a really incredible thing, the way each one perfectly follows into the next one. His voice is just perfectly suited to the song and it’s really very good how he transitions from the quieter early verses to the loud, wails of “I’m not leaving” “I’m hanging on” in the climax of this song.

This is a really, really good song. Well composed, amazingly performed, and tearjerking, really. As I think everyone has said already, which is why I don’t feel the need to write volumes about this one. This is definitely the best song of the roulette thus far. I guess the only thing left is, will I be hitting those one and five keys?

wolfking: Pagan’s Mind - Intermission

So, this here is a song that basically exemplifies prog-power metal. This style is something that I can like, but often find to be a bit generic. This one, at least, does not fall right into the “generic and unmemorable” trap.

The chorus here is a fair bit better than most songs of this style and is actually fairly memorable, and the singer is usually not annoyingly gruff or annoyingly high-pitched. He’s pretty talented and I usually like what he’s doing (except for that one moment when he screams). I particularly how the song cleverly moves into and out of the quiet part about two thirds of the way through without losing most of its momentum. I could see this as being a very good album opener, as it has a memorable chorus and a lot of energy.

This is a likeable song. It seems to set itself up as the first or second song on its album, and just from hearing this song, I figure that the full album could be a solid listen. The main problem here is that there’s not much special about this one. It’s a good song, no doubt, with some good instrumentation and a strong chorus. It will score decently well from me, but a good-not-great song of this style that doesn’t really do anything outside the box is unlikely to score up near the top. This is not to say that there’s a ceiling on prog-power songs for me, because I could see a really great one getting a nice, high score. This one just doesn’t quite qualify.

Enjoy these writeups, and I'm going to enjoy this brief time period when everyone is happy because I liked everyone's songs, before everyone starts saying "why did my song get 4 fewer points than his? I thought you liked both of them!" Just recall that, for reference, I basically used Tyrias's scoring system:

So I guess my scoring system is going to be:
5(in Sec rounds)/15(when I'm main judge): This is absolutely amazing. I don't wanna listen to any other roulette submissions right now but check out this artist discography instead.
4/12: Really great song, I'll definetely check this artist out after the roulette is over.
3/9: Good song. I can see myself listening to this again or putting it on when I'm in the mood, but I'm not sure I'll check out the artist.
2/6: Ok song. Doesn't impress me at all, but neither is it jarring to listen to.
1/3: Barely listenable. I don't really want to hear of this artist ever again.

Of course there will be points in between these scores, especially when I'm main judge, this is just a rough guideline. (And I really hope I won't have ot give anything below a 1/3 ::) )

Anyway, very good round from everyone! Thanks for making the first one I hosted such an exciting one, with lots of songs vying for the top spots and everything being so good and all!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #286 on: January 24, 2016, 02:07:37 PM »
there are probably a few other songs off that album you'd probably enjoy though Athesia is definitely not really like any of the others. Simurgh, Tombeau, Emphysema, maaaybe Cotard. the rest are some pretty heavy mathcore songs that I doubt you'd like though  :lol

and glad you enjoyed it, hopefully Red feels the same way so I have three positive results instead of one positive and two mixed/negative  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: January 24, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
I realize I should have sent this song into the previous round, and another Riverside song for you, but oh well, seems like I'll get a 10 at least :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #288 on: January 24, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
Evermind compared it to Hallowed Be Thy Name in my roulette too, and not a second did I notice any similarities.

Then I read carefully, and saw he wrote that the subject matter was the similarity, not musically. I was pretty bummed tbh, if anyone finds anything remotely close to the quality of Hallowed Be Thy Name, PM me pls, because nothing else satisfies me musically.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #289 on: January 24, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
I'm really curious for the scores now. From your write ups I gather that we agree on the best song in this round and seneca is getting quite an advantage this round (unless the red judge screws him over :lol). But then I think your second and third places are my lowest scoring songs. Actually, everything except for that top songs seems kind of flipped around in our estimation, at least roughly.

Also, I'm still not sure why you call Sacul's song electronic. It has a few electronic sounding drums at the start, but everything else could have been played live. Also, that song just grows like crazy.
I realize I should have sent this song into the previous round, and another Riverside song for you, but oh well, seems like I'll get a 10 at least :P

If you make it past the first cutting point, you should probably remember that lesson ;).

Offline 425

« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2016, 05:13:04 PM »

Please no more Riverside songs for me, thanks.

I'm really curious for the scores now. From your write ups I gather that we agree on the best song in this round and seneca is getting quite an advantage this round (unless the red judge screws him over :lol). But then I think your second and third places are my lowest scoring songs. Actually, everything except for that top songs seems kind of flipped around in our estimation, at least roughly.

Huh, that's pretty interesting. I guess it'll be good to get some disagreement among the judges so that a) it matters who each judge is and b) it matters who is hosting each particular round. But yeah, reading through your writeups again, I would agree, it does look like we pretty much are flipped aside from seneca. Which I would have to imagine will only build seneca's advantage and make the Red Judge's scoring that much more important.

Also, I'm still not sure why you call Sacul's song electronic. It has a few electronic sounding drums at the start, but everything else could have been played live. Also, that song just grows like crazy.

Sometimes I just say things like that. I know why I was wrong, but I also know what I meant. Oh well. It should be said that I'm probably in the minority of prog fans who is pretty close to illiterate, musically.

Tyrias, I also thought it was interesting that you and I had similar thoughts about the Kingcrow song, in that it had some really great high points, but some parts that didn't live up to those. I guess it's good to hear that someone else shares my feelings about that song.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »

Please no more Riverside songs for me, thanks.
Are they actually banned now? Can't find info about that :P

Offline 425

« Reply #292 on: January 24, 2016, 05:50:46 PM »
I can't either, honestly. I asked Bolsters about it in my scores PM. I believe the way things are working is that we the judges choose what artists to ban for the rest of the roulette, but I'm not precisely sure how that works, specifically.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #293 on: January 24, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »
I've added a list of artists banned during the roulette to the post with all of the other banned lists. There's a link to it at the bottom of the OP.

Edit: fuck me, I made that post but didn't actually do it. :rollin

Edit2: It's done now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:11:45 PM by Bolsters »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: January 24, 2016, 08:05:47 PM »
they should call you failure swift

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: January 24, 2016, 08:38:05 PM »
Without peeking--does anyone have any guesses?

a) who has played in the most completed roulettes
I'm guessing RJ, but not too sure about it.

b) who has the highest win percentage?   (it's not me, I'm not that much of a prick   :\)
wolfking has 3 wins, and I don't think he has participated in all that many - maybe five? Could be him.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: January 24, 2016, 11:08:07 PM »
Yeah I wasn't even close...wolfking didn't even get a win until like his 13th or 14th roulette. :lol I didn't realise he'd been in that many.

There's a few people with only one participation and one win though, so if I didn't screw up my tally there are three people with 100% win rates. Though the person with the highest percentage of wins who has played in more than 5 roulettes is seneca, with a 32.14% win rate. lonestar has a 25% win rate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: January 24, 2016, 11:18:12 PM »
Not that I really care but I have played in 6 for 2 wins and missed a win on jingle's by a bee's dick.  So I'll claim 33.3% thanks   ;D 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: January 24, 2016, 11:23:20 PM »
My spreadsheet had you in 7 but I checked and yeah only 6. So I just spent an eternity doing that and probably fucked it up more than once.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: January 25, 2016, 03:39:33 AM »
Well, even though Tyrias thought my song was boring I'm glad to see you did enjoy it 425, I'm trying to cater to the main judge mostly and so far it seems I'm doing a good job.

My spreadsheet had you in 7 but I checked and yeah only 6. So I just spent an eternity doing that and probably fucked it up more than once.

they should call you failure swift
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2016, 06:26:01 AM »
Bolsters. I'm almost certain that I don't have the highest win percentage, even disregarding those who've won less then 3.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: January 25, 2016, 07:21:16 AM »
I'll fix it up later in the week. Now that I have the data in a spreadsheet it'll be a simple affair to crosscheck to look for mistakes. I'd say I have probably just put something in the wrong row once or twice.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: January 25, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
Well, even though Tyrias thought my song was boring I'm glad to see you did enjoy it 425, I'm trying to cater to the main judge mostly and so far it seems I'm doing a good job.

Yeah, I'm trying to do the same thing. Seems like it works alright so far, even though I've got last place on Tyrias ranking this round or something.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:31:35 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #303 on: January 25, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »
Any word from Red?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
:soon:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2016, 07:29:30 AM »
Mr. Red will have writeups done :soon: but in the meantime if anyone is brave and would like to send round 3 songs early, go ahead and do so now. Keep in mind that this will be a red round and that after this, the bottom two will be eliminated.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2016, 08:46:29 AM »
No, I want to see if he liked my song first.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »
i want to see how much he hated my song first  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2016, 09:13:43 AM »
i want to see how much he hated my song first  :tup
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2016, 09:38:53 AM »
No, I want to see if he liked my song first.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »

Quote from: Mr Red
lonestar - Kingcrow - On the Barren Ground
I do like the heaviness of this song. It's dark, complex, murky, without unnecessary growls for effect (I've heard plenty of songs with that). It drives, it moves, and I really like the ending and how it maintains the thematic material while it fades out. That being said, in my opinion there's nothing that really makes it stand out. It sounds like a prototypical prog-metal song. It's not that I don't enjoy it, because I do, but there's nothing that made me really go "WHOA that was amazing". Nothing huge in the guitar solo, the vox are good but not amazing.

seneca - Glen Hansard - Bird of Sorrow
I was like who is this when I saw this, but then I realized it was the guy from Once. I haven't seen it, but I enjoyed that oscar winning song. With David Gray as your avatar it's not surprising at all that you enjoy this. When it first came on I was like "man this is slow... will it pick up?" I'm very picky about my ballads, and if they just drag on I won't enjoy them. This had all the emotion to go along with it, especially as it moved to the end. That cry... very very good. I have to be in the mood to really enjoy this song though. Again, it sounds a little prototypical as far as singer/songwriter ballads tend to be, especially in the last decade or so, which is why I didn't rate it higher, but hey, it's my opinion. I did enjoy it, though.

Nekov - Dream the Electric Sleep - Listen to Me
That intro though... LOVE that. Unfortunately, I was expecting some huge boom when the rest of the instruments kicked in, and instead I had a banjo/mandolin. It works, but it wasn't what I expected. It eventually got there though. MAN I enjoy this singer. He's great. Very versatile yet maintaining a purity. The song builds gradually through to the end while maintaining a guitar riff that repeats throughout the entire song. I enjoyed this a lot more every time I listened to it, it really did grow on me. It got a little repetititve at the end, but it never dragged and left me looking at my phone wondering when it was going to end. I was like whoa it's over?

Wolfking - Pagan's Mind - Intermission
I did enjoy this, but again as with other songs, it was prototypical power metal to me. I could have very well been listening to Sonata Arctica or Angra. Nothing really stood out and gave me a wow moment. And in my opinion it didn't really go anywhere. I would enjoy it if it were on a power metal playlist, and I hadn't listened to power metal in a while so it was nice the first time I heard it, but it never really grew on me as much as others.

Evermind - Absolute Priority - Fear of the Night
I can see what you meant by the Maiden influences (I can sense a little bit of a Metallica influence as well). I LOVE the piano in the beginning before the boom of the intro leading up to the vocals. The way the sound builds up throughout. You can tell the inner struggle that the protagonist (antagonist?) is facing as the song progresses. Very well done.

jingle.boy - Headspace - Soldier
So simple, yet for some reason this song clicked with me. This song was awesome. Just the piano and the bell chime throughout the whole song with this haunting vocal... I mean, as I listened and looked at the lyrics... this could very well be happening today. Three verses as the soldier lives his life... first fighting in the war, the inner struggles as he grows older, and the desire to be by his comrades in death. My brother in law fought in Iraq and I can see that brotherhood he has with his Army buddies. He's been through hell and back, and even though this song isnt' loud, it doesn't have to be to drive it's point home. I'd be interested to hear the rest of this album, especially if it's a concept album.

Sacul - Blue Sky Black Death - The Era When We Sang
I did enjoy this a lot. I love how electronic music uses samples and subtle additions and subtractions to move the song along, and this song does this... it repeats essential thematic material, yet never gets old. It builds up and then fades away.

Parama - The Hirsch Effekt - Athesie
Better than your last one for sure. When I saw it was German I didn't know what to expect... some heavy industrial metal or what? But a prog metal song. I enjoyed the subtle keyboard effects that countered with the drums/guitar. I also liked when the ending approached it switched from a 4/4 time signature to a 3/4 time signature and drove it home. Good job.

Scorpion - Heart of Cygnus - The Mountain King
I remember hearing this band on this forum years ago when they were first getting starting and really liking them but never getting past the "wow they're good I better check them out". I should have. This is excellent conceptual symphonic prog. It tells a story, I LOVE the cello at the beginning.

Alright, now can you start sending for round 3? This is Mr. Red's round so hopefully you guys have figured his tastes out a bit. Also remember that after this round, the bottom two players will be eliminated from the roulette.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R2 results up, start sending for R3
« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2016, 08:18:16 PM »
Yay  :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
well that's a fair bit lower than i'd expect from 425's writeup, but  :lol
i forgot what i was gonna send for red (my list is on my other computer which i won't have access to for a while) but i'm going to be eliminated anyways soooo i'm not going to think about it too hard i guess  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:13 PM »
Is there only this round until I can get eliminated?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.