Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105419 times)

Offline Tyrias

Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R2 listening has commenced
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »
My write-ups are done a day early, again. I’m more confident in my scores this time around, as I gave every song at least 6 listens. Overall, this was a very strong round for me, so even if your write up seems relatively positive, you might still be in last place as far as my scores go. I recommend telling your fellow participants to fuck up a bit more because sending consistently good songs will probably get you in last place if the level continues to be as high as it is right now ;).

Parama: The Hirsch Effekt - Athesie

Like I already said, I’m not particularly fond of this particular German accent. It doesn’t distract from the song though, and the song itself is stellar and definitely one of my favorites this round. It’s pretty pop/rocky with some prog elements thrown in. I love the kind of childish/playful keyboards that appear from time to time. They really make the song a lot better, even though they’re such a small part. The guitars are heavy and loud, but at the same time they have enough room to breathe. The guitar parts are relatively simple, but the simplicity is again a point in this song’s favor. I love the heavy outro with the subtle choir elements in the background. His voice is not particularly special, but it fits really well with the mood of the song.

Also, I love the mix and arrangements. Everything is clearly audible, and even though it’s pretty loud it still feels dynamic. Good job, this is one of my favorites so far in this roulette.

Lonestar: Kingcrow - On The Barren Ground

My first impression of this song was pretty positive, I love how “in your face” it starts off (after a short ambient intro), with heavy drums and this distorted guitar riff (and the guitar sound is great as well!). Everything up to the chorus is gold, than the mood shifts and it suddenly becomes a lot more … epic and positive, providing a contrast to the darker intro. I like the chorus itself; I’m just not sure if it fits all that well with this particular song (I’ve heard a lot worse misfits though). The whole song stays quite heavy and dark, again with the exception of the chorus. Also, the bridge drags on a bit too long for my taste. And while I’m generally a fan of calm outros, this one doesn’t quite do justice to everything that happened before it.

To give a final judgment; I’d say that this could have been another perfect score if it had been as good as it’s high points all the way through. As it stands, some less than perfect parts drag it down a bit, but I still really like this.

Senecadawg2: Glen Hansard - Bird Of Sorrow

Well, I can certainly see how this is one of your favorite songs in recent years. It’s most certainly the best song in this roulette so far, and by quite a bit. In fact, if this was my own roulette I’d probably make up some rule and give it more than full points, because “This is absolutely amazing. I don't wanna listen to any other roulette submissions right now but check out this artist discography instead” is quite true, but doesn’t come near to describing how much I love this song.

From the first piano note, it has this wonderful sad, very personal feeling. It doesn’t feel fake at all, but wonderfully honest. It didn’t work that well for me on my first listen, but knowing what comes afterwards just makes it so much more intense, like the calm before the storm. Then it slowly gets a bit louder, until a wonderfully depressing and desperate climax, mainly driven by his emotional screaming. And those strings in the background. Love them. They could have sounded really cheesy, but they are perfect here. Chills everywhere, and this sad feeling in my gut. I know something is absolutely gold when I can feel it in my gut. I really feel that the vocal performance here elevates the song to another level.

One last thing, I really like how “live” the production feels, especially the vocals. Often a studio recording lacks emotional impact because it’s just too perfect, not really human anymore, but this does a perfect job of combining a studio quality recording with raw live emotions.

Nekov: Dream The Electric Sleep - Listen to me

This is one of the more happy songs this round. It’s proggy, but still accessible. There’s nothing here I dislike. I’m fond of the overall feeling, really like the moment the vocals first kick in and the first few minutes, but after some time the song just loses my attention for a while and only gets it back at around the 6 minute mark, then loses it again.  I actually have to make an effort to stay focused on the song, and even then it does not always succeed, especially during the second half. I think it has something to do with most of the same song being around the same volume, and loud at that. I find this is something that occurs with songs with little variation in dynamics for me a lot. There are some more special moments that draw my attention back to the song (like the vocal harmonies before it gets softer), but then I lose attention again. And while that’s okay for a song that’s more focused on feeling, for a proggy song it shows that there was more potential there that was not used. Again, like some other songs before, I really like the guitar tone of the clean parts and in the verses and the vocals. There’s just the one problem with keeping my attention that lowers my score.

Evermind: Absolute Priority – Fear Of The Night

You got really close to me declining your song, because lonestar send a song from this same album in my last roulette, I think it was the closer. I really like the dense sounding intro, and I love the moment it just explodes into that riff. After that, it reminds me of some of Kamelot’s stronger moments. That’s a good thing, since Kamelot used to be my favourite band in the days where I basically listened to Metal exclusively. In contrast to what you wrote in your description of the song, I think the end is one of the weaker parts here. I can appreciate the cleverness of the vocal harmonies and layered vocal lines, but they don’t do anything for me on an emotional level. Everything up till that point also managed to stir some kind of emotion up in me, but that part just falls flat on that level. I do really like all the wacky keyboard- and guitar soloing, even though they’re clearly showing off their instrumental chops a bit in that part, the solos are still very well constructed and focus on melody.

Overall, I agree that this song is crafted quite excellently, with some parts that don’t manage to hold my attention and my emotions as much as others.

Wolfking: Pagan’s Mind – Intermission

So, straight up Heavy Metal? While it’s not what I usually listen to, I do have a certain fondness for good songs in that style, although there is a lot of stuff I find pretty hilariously bad. Luckily for you, this song doesn’t fall into that later category. It’s mostly straight up Heavy Metal (I hope that genre classification is not completely wrong), with all the elements that make a song in this genre great: cool riffs, great, fun soloing, and a good vocalist (especially that. Laughably bad vocals are the main reason I can’t take a lot of Heavy Metal seriously. This one knows how to sing though, and nails the style.) I think this would be a really cool song to see live, rock out and scream along. I don’t really have anything else to say about this, except that I really liked it.

Jingle.boy: Headspace – Soldier

I like the very simple instrumental part here, just piano and some other sound in the background, they could have been the foundation of something amazing. It accentuates the right moments by dynamic variations an really enhances the emotional impact. I’m really torn on the vocals. On the one hand, it feels like there is genuine emotion behind them and the lyrics are great, on the other hand a part in me just wants to laugh because it kind of sounds like a grown up chipmunk singing. I know that sounds ironic coming from someone who loves Sigur Rós (and Jonsi’s vocals) and many people will probably violently disagree with me on that point, but that’s just my initial reaction when the vocals kick in. It also ends a bit too abruptly for my taste.

That’s the bad. The good is, this song still manages to captivate me completely, and the vocals grow more tolerable with every listen. This was originally the worst song of the round for me, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I mean, why can’t chipmunks sing about emotional topics? There must be chipmunk soldier somewhere as well, right? Even if it just in a fictional universe, that shouldn’t mean they can’t feel emotion and have other chipmunks back at home they really want to return to, right? Why can’t chipmunks have family and friends they long for? Why must chipmunks die in war? Is the world really that cruel of a place?

Damn, I do like this song quite a lot.

Sacul: Blue Sky Black Death – The Era When We Sang
I’m not sure what liking the Hammock song last round has to do with liking this song, as they’re quite different in my opinion. At first I found this really lackluster, with the exception of some parts in the second half, and my opinion stayed that way for the first five listens. I was prepared to give this a low score, as sorry as I was because you seemed so confident. Then I decided to do one last listen on our Hi-Fi sound system instead of my ok-ish computer speakers, and this song just completely came to life.

At first it felt like there was just not that much going on, but then I realized there’s just so many subtle details in the background that really needed a quiet environment and 100% attention to fully be appreciated. The so lackluster first half suddenly is really good, the vocals I thought were out of place before suddenly fit. And the second half is just godlike. The emotions conveyed here are a lot more subtle than in some other songs here, but nevertheless it is absolutely fantastic. I can’t quite pinpoint what I feel, the closest I can get is a happy peacefulness. Like relaxing on a beach or on a balcony somewhere in a warm spring evening, being happy about life in general and watching the sun slowly set, maybe chilling in a hammock (haha, get it?). We had 10 centimeters of snow outside today, and inside I feel like it’s spring and butterflies are flying around me, a warm breeze blowing through the leaves.

I still don’t think this is that similar to the Hammock song last round, but I like it just as much.

Scorpion: Heart of Cygnus - The Mountain King

This is somewhere between Folk and Prog, with an overall pretty happy feeling. It has a very distinct intro that is more folky than the rest of the song, then the prog parts take the forefront in the main part and in the ending (awesome guitar solo in the end by the way). Somehow, the overall feeling of the song manages to stay very similar all over the song. So, even though there are some pretty rough transitions in between parts, they never feel jarring. I also really like the addition of a flute. Like Sacul’s song, this has a bit of a spring-feeling to it, but it’s not as strong.
Did I mention the awesome guitar solo in the end? I did, but I guess it just deserves another pointer in its direction, because it’s probably the strongest part of the song for me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2016, 01:21:18 PM »
You got really close to me declining your song, because lonestar send a song from this same album in my last roulette, I think it was the closer.

Oh, I didn't know that. In fact, if I knew that, I would've chosen another song. That's a pity for sure.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
"Chipmunk" is something I would have never expected as a description of Damian Wilson's voice.  Not sure whether I scored well, or crap.  Some good songs sent that round.  Heart of Cygnus is a really obscure pick there Tommy.  Good set of albums though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »
Heart of Cygnus  :metal I salute you Scorp.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2016, 02:06:27 PM »
Hell yeah  :metal

To the other judges, do as Tyrias and listen to this on a good system, or a quiet environment at least - it has many subtle details.

And the Hammock comparison was about how I felt both tracks are pretty atmospheric and relaxing :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2016, 02:10:41 PM »
Bird of Sorrow is what I figured Tyrias' "omg this is so good" comment was about, yeah  :lol

and Tyrias you might like the rest of that Hirsch Effekt album but I don't think 425 or Reddy would like much else on there, haha

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
"Chipmunk" is something I would have never expected as a description of Damian Wilson's voice.  Not sure whether I scored well, or crap.  Some good songs sent that round.  Heart of Cygnus is a really obscure pick there Tommy.  Good set of albums though.

Well, my final judgment was "i like this song quite a lot", so I guess I can tell you you don't have the worst score this round ;).

You got really close to me declining your song, because lonestar send a song from this same album in my last roulette, I think it was the closer.

Oh, I didn't know that. In fact, if I knew that, I would've chosen another song. That's a pity for sure.

I can tell you next time if I'm familiar with something else from that album or artist if you want to. The way I'm doing it now is I'm just declining songs if I know that particular song.

Hell yeah  :metal

To the other judges, do as Tyrias and listen to this on a good system, or a quiet environment at least - it has many subtle details.

And the Hammock comparison was about how I felt both tracks are pretty atmospheric and relaxing :P

I'm glad I decided to do that last score check before posting my write-ups (or in that case it was actually 3 additional listens for the song ::)). Bumped you up quite a bit from the 2.5/3 I had in mind before ;).

Bird of Sorrow is what I figured Tyrias' "omg this is so good" comment was about, yeah  :lol

and Tyrias you might like the rest of that Hirsch Effekt album but I don't think 425 or Reddy would like much else on there, haha

Yeah, I'll check out that album when I find time. And that Glan Hansard album of course, even though I'm pretty sure I already know the best song off of it. Not sure how he'd manage to top Bird of Sorrow.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:16 PM »
Yes please.

Offline 425

« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »
Damn it, Tyrias, showing me up again :lol

When I said Sunday, I really meant Sunday, so that's when it'll be from me  :-\

i'm curious now which posts in particular you're referring to because i'm sure i made posts like that but i have no clue where i would have  :lol

:lol It's just kind of an aspect of your writing style sometimes... For example, your post last night in the "What album are you listening to" thread

oh, i listened to stuff today i guess

too lazy for images today  :lol

To me the style and the sentiment there are pretty similar to me writing in my notes something like "who knows though, numbers are hard."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2016, 04:29:15 PM »
Mr. Red is liking this round aswell:

Quote from: Mr. Red
As the other two judges said, I love the diversity this round brings. There isn't one song that I don't enjoy somewhat. So far I'm only 2 listens in, but I'll be surprised if I end up grading anything lower than 3 or 3.5. Some awesome stuff here.

Tyrias, I don't seem to have your scores either. Still working on them?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2016, 04:37:36 PM »
oh shit, they're done, I just forgot to send them to you. will do so in a minute

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2016, 07:42:29 PM »
Tyrias- When I saw your initial comments I was confident that mine was mine--because it's one of the only songs I can submit which I genuinely love more than the rest. I kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to jinx it. Anyways, I'm really glad you enjoyed it like I thought you would. Based on 425's initial comments though, it seems I may have been better suited submitting this song in the first round. Not that I may not still get a good score from him, but unless it grew on him quite a bit since his last comments it's probably not a perfect score.

Yeah, I'll check out that album when I find time. And that Glan Hansard album of course, even though I'm pretty sure I already know the best song off of it. Not sure how he'd manage to top Bird of Sorrow.

And yes, this is pretty much the best song on that album. Or at the very least, there aren't any songs I consider stronger than this one. There are a couple that come close and perhaps equal it, but nothing noticeably better, for my tastes. He's released another, more recent, album this past year as well which I don't consider as strong on the whole, but which also has a couple songs worthy of Bird of Sorrow.

Caught him in concert in November and felt like crying a couple times. He played for almost three hours and it didn't feel like nearly enough.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »
Since the results for each round will be spread throughout the thread in four different posts, I've started adding links to the posts at the bottom of the OP. Some of the links are broken for now, I've just left them as placeholders until those posts exist.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
Jebus man, what a beastly group of tracks. Kudos Nekov for DtES, they're fucking awesome. Off to check out that Glen Hansard track...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2016, 09:44:42 PM »
Off to check out that Glen Hansard track...
Not sure if checking it, or waiting for seneca to send it on my roulette  :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »
I saw that guy live once. He was alright.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2016, 09:49:25 PM »
Good song, pretty solid emotional gut punch for sure.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
bird of sorrow is pretty much the song that seneca won my roulette with

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2016, 10:03:08 PM »
Off to check out that Glen Hansard track...
Not sure if checking it, or waiting for seneca to send it on my roulette  :P

It's up to you, but if you wait 24 hours you might find it in your inbox hahah

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2016, 05:02:17 AM »
Kudos Nekov for DtES, they're fucking awesome.

Yes they are thought Tyrias doesn't seem to agree.... Thanks for introducing me to them  :)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2016, 05:10:41 AM »
At this point, can every member of DTF just listen to Bird of Sorrow? It's a great song, but us non-dawgs have to compete against at least one 10/10 every roulette  :yeahright
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2016, 05:19:33 AM »
At this point, can every member of DTF just listen to Bird of Sorrow? It's a great song, but us non-dawgs have to compete against at least one 10/10 every roulette  :yeahright

I listened to this song, and while I love ballads - you of all people should know - I honestly found it to be nothing special at all. 8/10 for me at best.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2016, 05:57:25 AM »
I wasn't as crazy about it as most people either, but I still thought it as beautiful and way above par compared to most ballads I've heard.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »

I listened to this song, and while I love ballads - you of all people should know - I honestly found it to be nothing special at all. 8/10 for me at best.

Yeah I wouldn't think of sending it if I was playing in your roulette.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »

^ This guy gets it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
Again--why I didn't send it in your roulette.

Just as I wouldn't think of sending The Chronicles Project to Tyrias...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2016, 09:26:09 AM »

You're a wise player... hence why you're knocking on the door of victory #10.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Speaking of which, did you end up buying that album?

I'm listening again for the first time in a couple weeks and I'd kind of forgotten how much I like it. Really solid.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2016, 10:03:08 AM »

You're a wise player... hence why you're knocking on the door of victory #10.

Shit, I didn't even realize he passed me. Motherfucker......

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2016, 10:36:39 AM »
Speaking of which, did you end up buying that album?

Damn straight I did.

Shit, I didn't even realize he passed me. Motherfucker......

It's a matter of volume (he plays in every fucking roulette), and priorities (you have a woman)

'nuff said.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
As much as I don't want to look like a prick, I'm going to point out that that's actually not true. I guess I can't help it  :facepalm:

Using the command+f function in the archived roulette thread and the recently completed thread, it seems I've played in a total of 28 roulettes and he's played in a total of 31. That is, roulettes that've finished. If you count the ones that are currently in progress, then I've played in 33 and he's played in 32. But since we're talking about wins and since I can't possibly've won any of those five that are going, he's got the edge on roulettes played in.

You're absolutely right though--I have played in almost every roulette in recent memory; something like 20 of the last 27 recently completed roulettes. Thing is, though, I didn't play in my first roulette until near the end of 2013, by which point RJ had already played in 15 (and won 5). It's probably not exact as I may have miscounted a couple times in all of this, but I went ahead and counted the number of completely roulettes played in by each everyone who has won at least 3. I've also calculated win percentage.

Without peeking--does anyone have any guesses?

a) who has played in the most completed roulettes
b) who has the highest win percentage?   (it's not me, I'm not that much of a prick   :\)
c) advanced difficulty option (play at your own risk): reorder the list based on win percentage.

We'll make it multiple choice, here are those that've won at least 3:

senecadawg2      9
lonestar      8
Ravenheart      7
Gorille85      6
kári         5
jingle.boy      4
Scorpion      4
Nekov         4
Dr. DTVT         3
ClairvoyantCat      3
Ultimetalhead      3
Elite         3
Zantera         3
Evermind      3
wolfking      3   

Winner get's nothing! No peeking!

ETA: who says I don't have a woman?  ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »
Highest win percentage is probably Brent (bl5150). I think he played in three and won two. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
Didn't hefdaddy only play in one roulette and win it? Or did he play more after.

I didn't peek, just remember checking out roulette archives to check on someone's taste.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »
Highest win percentage is probably Brent (bl5150). I think he played in three and won two. :lol

He's actually played in 6, according to my count, but 1/3 is a really good win percentage (would put him at least near the top of those that've won at least 3).

I'm sure there are probably also a couple other people who've won once and only played in a couple.

Didn't hefdaddy only play in one roulette and win it? Or did he play more after.

I didn't peek, just remember checking out roulette archives to check on someone's taste.

He's played in 2. Won one. It was the first roulette of all, actually.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »

He's actually played in 6, according to my count, but 1/3 is a really good win percentage (would put him at least near the top of those that've won at least 3).

I'm sure there are probably also a couple other people who've won once and only played in a couple.

Well, no idea then. My second best guess is you, but well, yeah, it's not you. Probably some guy who left DTF before I started lurking here.