Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105380 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION
« Reply #1470 on: April 29, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »
So, do I have a free pass into the the next championship? Just curious :P

That's an interesting question.

I'm going to say that the championship is for the winners of roulettes of each...let's call them seasons. This is technically the final roulette of its season. So if you wanted to be in the next season's championship, you would need to win a roulette in that season.

So...nope. :laugh:

But as I said, I'm not going to do this annually, so you'll have two or maybe three years to win something and gain entry.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: April 29, 2016, 09:34:27 AM »
I think he should get a chance to defend his crown.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1472 on: April 29, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »
then he should try winning another roulette this year

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1473 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »
It's ok, I'll surely participate in Tyrias' and splent's roulettes and I have a pretty good grasp of their tastes now so I hope to win those at least :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1474 on: April 29, 2016, 11:00:15 AM »
I might skip splent's tbh, I'm way too into my weird metal stuff lately for him  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1475 on: April 29, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »
I think I have a pretty good idea of Tyrias' tastes too. If I have a chance at winning anyone's roulette the upcoming half year or so I think it'll be his. Just a matter of trimming down the playlist because it probably has like 100 songs :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1476 on: April 29, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »
You'll still have to wait a few months for my roulette, though :P. I already have my format pretty much worked out, but I just don't have the time to run a roulette until end of summer.
I'm really curious how you'll fit that 100 song playlist into 8-10 rounds, ToN. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1477 on: April 29, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
Yeah, this is all assuming nothing got added to your championship banned list though, I haven't followed the roulette close enough to see which bands of my playlist were sent so maybe a few will drop off.

But everything depends on whether you'll have themes and that kinda stuff, and sometimes I save bands if I know there's an EP round coming if I know that band has a very good opening/closing song or something.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1478 on: April 29, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »
So around September? Well, enough time to find new music :P

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1479 on: April 29, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
So around September? Well, enough time to find new music :P

September seems realistic, if there's a free spot at the time. And there will be some additions to the banned list, obviously. Not just bands I found in the championship, but also some stuff I left off of my championship banned list because I was only vaguely familiar with it, but will be included in my own roulette's banned list (e.g. Gazpacho).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1480 on: April 29, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
Cool, yeah I understand, aiming to do my second installation around September aswell, and my banned list has become quite enormous compared to the previous one already. Never discovered so much new music in such a short period of time before.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: April 29, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
Oh and congrats to Lucas of course, did NOT expect this, I can't believe that Daisuke song got the scores it did - but what do I know, maybe it gets better on consecutive listens.

It does. First listen, I was thinking "I can see this getting a 6 at most." But it really does get a lot better the more you listen to it.

It doesn't. I spun this one about five times before the results were posted. I'm still perplexed anyone could give this jumbled mess song any score higher than 6.

I realize I sound bitter on this one, but I have no idea how anyone can like this song so much to give it a score above 8. And frankly, 425, the one point difference in this one is just as bad as 0.5 point difference in your roulette: we are talking about roughly 80 points maximum in yours against 240 points in this one.

Tastes, I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1482 on: April 29, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »
I might skip splent's tbh, I'm way too into my weird metal stuff lately for him  :lol

Nooooooo please join mine :lol

At least read the OP and rules and stuff before you decide. You may be surprised. And actually, maybe you'll realize "Oh Splent is awesome" and go for it :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1483 on: April 29, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »
Oh and congrats to Lucas of course, did NOT expect this, I can't believe that Daisuke song got the scores it did - but what do I know, maybe it gets better on consecutive listens.

It does. First listen, I was thinking "I can see this getting a 6 at most." But it really does get a lot better the more you listen to it.

It doesn't. I spun this one about five times before the results were posted. I'm still perplexed anyone could give this jumbled mess song any score higher than 6.

I realize I sound bitter on this one, but I have no idea how anyone can like this song so much to give it a score above 8. And frankly, 425, the one point difference in this one is just as bad as 0.5 point difference in your roulette: we are talking about roughly 80 points maximum in yours against 240 points in this one.

Tastes, I guess.

Well, at least you didn't lose with equal points ;).
And I stand by my score for Sacul's song. Actually it was higher originally, but a few hours after I posted the results I realized that score was probably exaggerated and pm'd Bolsters to lower it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1484 on: April 29, 2016, 12:32:08 PM »

At least read the OP and rules and stuff before you decide. You may be surprised. And actually, maybe you'll realize "Oh Splent is awesome" and go for it :lol
well you already gave east of the wall a 2/5 so you can't be that awesome

Offline 425

« Reply #1485 on: April 29, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »

Tastes, I guess.

I understand. It's definitely not for everyone. Honestly, I feel that way about the Bent Knee song that Sacul sent earlier and everyone was going crazy over.

All I really have to say in my own defense where you're concerned is that I gave you more points in total than I gave Sacul. I spotted you 3.5 points. And then the other judges negated them. Looking at the lists of what everyone sent, you and seneca were my favorite contestants over the course of the whole roulette. There's no doubt that Sacul started sending me a run of hits towards the end—much like how Nekov sent me a run of hits at the beginning and trailed off towards the end—and the longer the roulette went, the more Sacul gained in my scores, while Nekov fell back and you held firm (as was the case in my solo roulette). But your hypothetical Roulette Championship CD is probably my favorite Roulette Championship CD (seneca's probably has more of my very favorite songs, but yours is more consistent and has two additional songs).

I can understand you feeling robbed by me in the solo roulette. The drop-the-lowest score rule was controversial and will not make it to my V2. There was a close race at the top of that one and one or two very slight changes on my part could easily have made you the winner. But here, I've been the best judge for you, and the only one that picked you to beat Sacul. So when you take a look at the way the full roulette has gone, and not just the microcosm of the last round, I don't see how anyone could reach the conclusion that I robbed you here.

Besides all of that, I stand by all 69 scores I issued in this roulette, including Sacul's 8.5 from the final round.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1486 on: April 29, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »

well you already gave east of the wall a 2/5 so you can't be that awesome

Yes but you wouldn't send that one for me

Offline 425

« Reply #1487 on: April 29, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
Can I join your roulette and send songs by Harsh Noise every round?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1488 on: April 29, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »

I will allow a submission from every lineup of Harsh Noise, but the song Harsh Noise is banned.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1489 on: April 29, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »
I just found a Harsh Noise playlist with 37 songs in it. Beware what you wish for.

Edit: First song is 17 minutes long ;)

Offline 425

« Reply #1490 on: April 29, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »

I will allow a submission from every lineup of Harsh Noise, but the song Harsh Noise is banned.

Sweet. :tup

But in all seriousness, I intend to join if you'll have me. And probably Tyrias's, too. I think it'll be interesting to have a bit of a role reversal with my fellow judges.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1491 on: April 29, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »
Now that a song like Stella actually worked out pretty good, I'm pretty bummed Sacul didn't send Cassandra Gemini, with the attention span of these guys it could've gone pretty well! It's the best 30+ min song ever for a goddamn reason.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1492 on: April 29, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
Yup, I'd be interesting in joining. And I just found a 29-minute-version of that 17 minute song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlQj_rsMk84&list=PLsudrm27pJroR0kS2P9pukUN6oIocUjg2&index=37

Ear-opening bliss. Evermind should have sent stuff like this, that would have guaranteed him the frist rank.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1493 on: April 29, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
the only song over 30 minutes I really like is light of day day of darkness tbh

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: April 29, 2016, 04:15:03 PM »
Now that a song like Stella actually worked out pretty good, I'm pretty bummed Sacul didn't send Cassandra Gemini, with the attention span of these guys it could've gone pretty well! It's the best 30+ min song ever for a goddamn reason.
I actually haven't even listened to it :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1495 on: April 29, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
I actually haven't even listened to it :lol
You're a crazy person

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: April 29, 2016, 04:30:07 PM »
I'm not the biggest Mars Volta fan anyways, thus I haven't delved into their discography :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: :P
« Reply #1497 on: April 29, 2016, 04:31:35 PM »
the only song over 30 minutes I really like is light of day day of darkness tbh

You misspelled The Great Escape.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1498 on: April 29, 2016, 04:47:12 PM »
literally listened to that a few days ago and it was okay but kinda dull

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1499 on: April 29, 2016, 04:56:38 PM »
 I've heard it, but it's been years.

30 minutes songs that keep my interest and stays interesting… That does not count symphonies correct?  Besides 6° of inner turbulence…  I honestly don't know off the top my head right now...  Which means it's something that I haven't listened to for a long time or is something that hasn't been in my playlist for a while

Offline 425

« Reply #1500 on: April 29, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
The Whirlwind
Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Kaleidoscope
Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence
All of the Above
The Great Escape
And if spirit's a sign,