Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105418 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Everyone's in! R1 results :soon:
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2016, 08:45:31 AM »
So if 9 means it's a good song, and guitar solos elevate my song from just "good" to 'very good" I guess I've got more than 9 from you. I can live with that.

425 will probably give me 1.5 out of 5, so I need to get a really high score from you.

No idea about Mr. Red at all. Since he's a mystery judge, I kinda don't even think about him when I send the songs.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2016, 09:02:31 AM »
personally I can listen to East of the Wall any time any day but ehh good enough  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
 :D

That song is definitely a grower, I remember I liked it quite a bit but as you said, it just gets better after every listen. I'm glad we're on the same page :tup

Also, I hope the other judges like it though I highly doubt the red judge will.

Edit: Forevermore is one hell of a song
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:16:19 AM by Nekov »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2016, 09:23:04 AM »
also everyone needs more hammock in their lives, aside from being really pretty music they're also the best sleeping music ever created by man, i just listened to departure songs last night  :P

i really need more hammock.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »
I kinda prefer Sigur Ros as sleeping music but I agree that everyone needs more hammock in their lives  :smiley:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »

Indeed... though the format of the results had me thinking it was a song titled Nightingale by a band Forevermore.

Tyrias... you're a little inconsistent whether you list band or song title first.   :)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
Oh come on, Driven to destruction is catchy as hell, and pretty great  :sadpanda:

I'm only hoping Mr Red and 425 love it pls.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Oh come on, Driven to destruction is catchy as hell, and pretty great  :sadpanda:

I must say that wouldn't be my first choice for a roulette when it comes to Riverside, or second, or third... but, people have different tastes so it might work with someone else.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2016, 10:22:38 AM »
driven to destruction is probably the least great song on adhd

but it's adhd, so

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
Well I was between that one and Hyperactive, went with the former because dat bass  :P

Offline 425

« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
Just so y'all know, I'm not really reading posts in this thread at the moment because I want to form a little stronger impression of these songs without really knowing what Tyrias's impression was.

I'm planning to do my second listen this afternoon. I'll probably do writeups on my third or maybe fourth listen tomorrow.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2016, 03:45:04 PM »
So if 9 means it's a good song, and guitar solos elevate my song from just "good" to 'very good" I guess I've got more than 9 from you. I can live with that.

425 will probably give me 1.5 out of 5, so I need to get a really high score from you.

No idea about Mr. Red at all. Since he's a mystery judge, I kinda don't even think about him when I send the songs.

Well, you already know from my ranking that you are second best, so you can guess that you'll have some advantage over most of the field  ;)
personally I can listen to East of the Wall any time any day but ehh good enough  :lol

Maybe it was just too much when I got up hungover :lol. Anyway, that was not the reason you aren't that far up, I just didn't really feel as much as I think a good song of this genre should make me feel.

I kinda prefer Sigur Ros as sleeping music but I agree that everyone needs more hammock in their lives  :smiley:

I could never sleep to Sigur Ros. It might make me sleepy, alright, but the emotional turmoil their music causes inside my guts would always keep me from actually falling asleep. That emotional impact is why they're one of my favourite bands. I'll definitely check out Hammock, this is the second time someone send me a song by them in a roulette. I remember kind of liking the first one, but not nearly as much as this one. So consider me converted.

I never said it was bad, I just don't agree on the catchy and great part. It's just good in my opinion. Also, I listened to it a few more times and still the only thing I can remember is the bass line at the start :P.

Indeed... though the format of the results had me thinking it was a song titled Nightingale by a band Forevermore.

Tyrias... you're a little inconsistent whether you list band or song title first.   :)

Yeah, went back and fixed that. I actually double checked everything, but apparently that slipped by.

Well I was between that one and Hyperactive, went with the former because dat bass  :P
Just listened to Hyperactive out of curiosity, and I already like it more than Driven To Destruction after only 2 minutes. Sorry to tell you, but at least for my score you did the wrong decision :-\.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:50:51 PM by Tyrias »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2016, 08:05:14 PM »
Mr. Red is nearing completion also:

Quote from: Mr. Red
I'm through with my third listen and will have scores and write ups tomorrow. There's some good songs here. Based on what I've heard my scores so far are ranging from 2 to 4.5 out of 5.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2016, 08:07:16 PM »
heck yeah, 2

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
Actually no, I missed the write-ups were in order, so I had no idea I was the second best in your ranking. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2016, 09:38:58 PM »
Actually no, I missed the write-ups were in order, so I had no idea I was the second best in your ranking. :lol

I missed that part too.  Middle of the pack for a green round... I'll take that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 15, 2016, 06:21:16 AM »
It's Friday already!!!!! Maybe even Saturday for Wolfking

Won't somebody think of the Aussies?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 15, 2016, 03:40:48 PM »
Saturday morning indeed.  :hat
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
Saturday morning indeed.  :hat

Friday drinking time indeed.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »
Mr. Red's writeups for Round 1:

Quote from: Mr. Red
jingle boy: Alpha Rev - Phoenix Burn

I did enjoy this song. It was light and upbeat. However, to me, it was nothing special. It sounded like a typical feel good mainstream rock song. Nothing wrong with that, but it was very formulaic to me. That being said, I enjoyed the feel of it and always made me smile when it came on. I'd be interested to hear more of what this band has to offer, because I don't expect every song to sound like this.

Evermind: David Gilmour - Faces of Stone

I'm a bad bad Pink Floyd fan. I haven't heard much of Gilmour's solo stuff. This makes me want to hear more. That part in the middle where the chord structure changes feels like it could have been plucked out of Dark Side of the Moon. Love it. Plus the lyrical content is very deep as was explained in your description. I feel that Gilmour put the emotion out there perfectly. Well done.

Lonestar: Structural Disorder - Corpse Candles

This song grew on me a bit from the first listen. Initially I thought "man this song drags on". On every listen after that I noticed something new. Was that an accordion in the instrumental interlude? That was creative, and it worked! The growls in the chorus worked perfectly. I did think that the song dragged on by the end, especially when it repeated the same riff like 8 times at the end, but overall enjoyable.

senecadawg2: Max Richter - Dona Nobis Pacem 2

Why is this song so short? I feel that "Dona Nobis Pacem" is perfect as a title... and several images come to mind when I hear this. Is it someone pleading for peace? Is someone dying and when the music abruptly ends they die? Is someone crying out because someone died? The emotional buildup just tugs at the heartstrings. I need more!!

Nekov: Hammock - Tonight We Burn Like Stars That Never Die

It's repetitive, but it works amazingly well. I love the ethereal sound that this song has, because it does feel like bright starlight shining down. It reminds me of something like M83 meets Sigur Ros or something.

wolfking: Nightingale - Forevermore

My favorite song of the round. Love this. It wasn't over the top, I LOVE the keyboard arpeggios (when I play keyboard in the air during a song you know it's a good thing). It changed subtly throughout the piece. The singer was not over the top, but worked perfectly here. The guitarist played cleanly and not wanky. I'm definitely looking into this band once I'm done writing this. I hope to hear more of the same!

Scorpion: Amorphis - Sampo

I dug this, especially the beginning and the end. I'm not a huge fan of growls, but the interlude in the middle worked pretty well. I just felt like it was cut and paste ABA form, like there wasn't any transition between the sections of the music. I'd be interested to see more of what Amorphis has to offer though, because the clean vocal sections I really enjoyed.

Parama: East of the Wall - Whiskey Sipper/Underachiever

You called it. I am not a fan. In fact, after my first listen I was like what did I just hear? If I were to give a score immediately after that it would have been a 1 or 1.5. I made it a 2 because after several listens Whiskey Sipper turned out to be ok. Not something I would go out of my way to hear, but it was tolerable. The mix sucked though. I could barely hear the vocals until he started screaming. And then Underachiever sounded like they just played whatever while he screamed at the top of this lungs. No, I know they were playing some pretty intense complex music, I could tell... but to me why scream when only the bassist is playing? Not my style.

Sacul: Riverside - Driven to Destruction

That down low wall of sound that this song presents at the beginning and then builds up as the piece goes on I really enjoyed. Plus it's in 7 which doesn't hurt. It did feel like one solo after another (guitar solo, keys solo, a little vox, another guitar solo, a little vox, another keys solo, etc), but I know a lot of bands do that, so it doesn't hurt, it just felt like a dragged on a little bit. Another band I need to check out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2016, 08:17:21 PM »
ok i don't have a problem with anything about disliking the song musically but the mix on the apologist is absolutely perfect and i will hear no argument to the contrary  :lol

i bet if i make it past the first cuts (unlikely) then mr. red will just be super mad at me for every green round i get to because that's where i plan to send the more intense metal stuff i have since tyrias is the most likely of the three to enjoy it  :P

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:44 PM »
Yes, that was an accordian. They use it in place of keyboards in most places. So fucking metal  :metal :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2016, 12:18:39 AM »
heck yeah, 2

Called it! :lol

Nice to see Mr. Red enjoyed my song and also that Nightingale song too. Maybe the red rounds won't be a disaster after all.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2016, 02:18:33 AM »
Hey, with some exceptions this is actually not as different as I expected it would be from my write-ups. :lol Really curious for 425s write-ups and overall scores now.

Offline 425

« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »
I'm starting my final listen now, writeups in an hour to an hour and a half.

Full disclosure: I have not read Tyrias's or Red's writeups or most of this thread, so I have very little idea of whether my opinion of these songs is in line with theirs.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline 425

« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2016, 03:27:01 PM »
Alright, here are my writeups for round 1!

These are in alphabetical order, not order of scores.

Evermind: David Gilmour - Faces of Stone

Evermind is going to kill me if I don’t five this.

Evermind, I’m not quite THAT head over heels here. That said, I really like this song quite a bit. There are some strong emotions here as well as good instrumentation, singing and musicianship.

Gilmour has done a good job on this one at creating a powerful atmosphere and evoking some emotions. The clean guitar and other (kind of Celtic?) instrumentation are really important to this song, and accompany Gilmour’s soft, melancholic voice nicely. His singing is probably somewhat underrated—he does so well at emotional expression and has a really pleasant vocal tone.

The two guitar solos are incredible, of course, because that is what David Gilmour does best. I love the way they transition into and out of the music.

I don’t know what else to write, but I really find this song charming. It got better for me on each listen and is one of the most emotional songs of this round, which is something that I like. Evermind, you've sold me.

jingle.boy: Alpha Rev - Phoenix Burn

If I remember correctly, this is Casey from Flying Colors’ main band? The singer certainly sounds like him. Well, I like Flying Colors, I think they have some pretty good songs, but I was never as in love with them as some people seemingly were.

I like this song better than most songs from Flying Colors. In fact, this song sounds more like what I imagined Flying Colors would sound like from how it was initially described—“new-fashioned music the old-fashioned way.” This song, melodically, could be a very good song from a modern pop rock band, but instrumentally it uses more hard/prog rock instrumentation. The instrumentation is pretty good here, and rather interestingly echos some modern pop rock tropes as in the drumming on the “I’ve taken too much, giving up…” part.

Casey’s vocals are the obviously the centerpiece, and I think he does well here. The melodies are strong and the chorus definitely sticks in my head in a good way. Definitely a memorable song, probably one that will drive me to check out Alpha Rev.

lonestar: Structural Disorder - Corpse Candles

This is sort of an unusual song. Certainly not what I expected to hear from the artist and song title—this is sort of an odd hybrid of prog rock and metal with occasional death growls.

The verses have a pretty cool vibe in which the singer takes the lead and expresses sort of a worried and uneasy feeling. The growls, I feel, serve somewhat of a purpose here and are pretty brief, so I have no objection to their presence. The chorus is solid but not exceptional.

What is really interesting is the instrumental section, which restores the relatively calm but uneasy vibe from the beginning of the verses. There’s also an instrument that I can’t quite identify but sounds sort of like a harmonica? The presence of that instrument definitely sets this song apart from other prog rock/metal songs, and it plays interestingly off the guitar solo.

The final verse is the best vocal moment of the song, with the line “At least he keeps me company” being a definite highlight. The instrumental section at the end is a good finale as well.

I don’t quite know what to make of this song, but I found it pretty interesting, and it definitely has some good moments.

Nekov: Hammock - (Tonight) We Burn Like Stars

This song has a really strong atmosphere, which is a big plus for me. There’s a lovely feeling of happiness tinged with sorrow here, which I absolutely love. And it’s all punctuated by the dreamy feeling of the whole thing

The chorus is absolutely beautiful and really memorable. It repeats a lot, which is the main thing that could be considered a weakness here, but it’s such a beautiful chorus that I’m fine with it. The instrumentation and vocals are just perfectly paired to create this dreamy, beautiful atmosphere.

And as much as I’ve talked about the atmosphere, I really do think that this is a very good song strictly in a melodic sense. I'm thinking about it, and I think if you paired the vocal melodies with a very different arrangement, what you would get would still be quite a good song, even without the amazing atmosphere. This is my favorite song this round, beating out a handful of others by a nose.

Parama: East of the Wall - Whiskey Sipper/Underachiever

I don’t really know how to describe this song, genre-wise. It’s pretty far from what I would typically listen to. It’s definitely interesting and a good step outside my comfort zone.

The first couple of minutes constitute a pretty interesting buildup, starting with relatively clean guitar and some solid clean vox transitioning into a louder metal section featuring shouted vocals. Overall, the song does fairly well at oscillating between quieter and louder parts. There are certainly some good guitar melodies in there. The vocal melodies aren’t anything too special, but they’re solid. I’m not crazy about the quantity of shouted vocals as I don’t love that style, so that detracts from it a little.

My main objection is that the second half, the “Underachiever” section, I guess, is very busy. The end of “Whiskey Sipper” gets a bit like this, but I’m fine with that as a climax of sorts. Most of “Underachiever,” really, is just full of very rapid drumming and riffing with mostly shouted vocals (again, not my favorite). The music really just doesn’t breathe at all.

Overall, the two parts of this song would score pretty differently for me. This entry would score higher if it was the “Whiskey Sipper” part alone and significantly lower if it was the “Underachiever” part alone. “Whiskey Sipper” is a pretty good song and one that I could see myself going back to, but I don’t really like “Underachiever” that well.

Sacul: Riverside - Driven to Destruction

So Riverside. Sacul told me “don’t hate this” because I was sent Riverside in my roulette and wasn’t too keen on it. This apparently is actually the second track of the album, and I previously got the first track of the album. If I do enough roulettes, I’ll eventually end up listening to this whole album! :lol

But no, I don’t hate this too much. This is actually pretty cool instrumentally. I like that it opens with a good two minute instrumental section, because there are some strong riffs and melodies in there. I’m not crazy about the guitar tone, but that isn’t a huge deal in this case. The vocalist is just alright, but there are some catchy melodies, particularly in the chorus. One thing I find weird about these guys is that in both songs I’ve heard from them, they like to bring volume of the music way down, have the singer sing a line or two, and then play a loud, roaring riff, and then quiet down again for the next line. It’s not bad, it’s just weird and I thought I’d comment on it.

The chorus is actually pretty cool. As is the guitar solo that takes place about halfway through the song. Overall, this is totally a solid prog metal song. I’m still not sold on this band, but I definitely think they’re pretty talented and I think this is a pretty good song.

Scorpion: Amorphis - Sampo

The winner of my roulette kicks off the roulette championship with a very strong entry. I’d heard about Amorphis before, but I didn’t really know what they sounded like before I listened to this song, so it was a totally blind listen.

Wow, this band is very talented. The intro is immediately attention grabbing, and there are some pretty strong melodies from the singer, who is a little gruff sometimes but undoubtedly good. I also really like the guitar melodies played under the first set of choruses.

This song really just doesn’t ever stop being good. It moves through a number of different sections, each no worse than the last. The quiet section in the middle is a highlight. Growls totally work here, so that’s fine. And I can’t say enough about how strong the chorus is. This is definitely one of the strongest entries of the round.

senecadawg2: Max Richter - Dona Nobis Pacem 2

So, this is kind of an interesting submission, as it’s not really a traditional song—as seneca said, it’s more of an attempt at creating a particular atmosphere. As a result, I don’t know quite how to rank it next to a set of 8 pieces that are more song-like.

However, I do think it’s pretty interesting. I like the concept—a piece that relies on one main melody that mounts and builds from soft to loud and is accompanied by shifting background music. Sort of like an orchestral Hell’s Kitchen.

It’s an enjoyable, pretty piece of music, and I totally respect what it’s trying to do. It’s a little on the short side and doesn’t offer a lot in the way of complexity or anything, but I can’t say it isn’t pretty.

wolfking: Nightingale - Forevermore

This song is a pretty standard prog metal song in terms of sound, but it’s a really strong one that’s quite charming for whatever reason.

I like the strong presence of keyboards in a fairly heavy song (take notes: this is almost always a plus for me because I love the contrast). There is some solid individual musicianship from the keyboardist as well as the guitarist. I don’t know what it is—there seem to be a lot of singers this round who are somewhat gruff, which I usually don’t enjoy, but I appreciate all of them this round.

The chorus of this song is really strong and is definitely the highlight, it’s stuck in my head in a good way. I like this song quite a bit, it's actually one of the strongest of the round for me, in no small part due to the strength of the chorus.

My scores should pretty much reflect what I said in the writeups, but people who played in or followed my roulette should not be surprised to see the scores being a bit lower than what they would expect based on that. If you multiplied all of these scores by two and compared them to the scores I gave in my roulette, you’d come away with the impression that I found this round to be weak. This isn’t really the case, it’s more the case that I’m trying to be less of a Paula (pre-posting edit: just read Tyrias and Red's writeups and I'm still definitely the Paula of this trio) and am trying to set the bar a little higher. I’m using Tyrias’s score metric that he posted back on page 2 as a guideline and am setting the bar decently high—just because I enjoy a song all the way through doesn’t make it an automatic 4+ or anything.

Anyway, there are my writeups, and I'm sending my scores to Bolsters right now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:33:07 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2016, 03:46:29 PM »
if it's any consolation i feel like you'll really like my next entry

Offline 425

« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
I hope so! I still believe in you Parama, I just wasn't too keen on this one.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
Ok, it seems like a good start. Now I just need to figure out how to not fuck it up like I usually do  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
Ok, it seems like a good start. Now I just need to figure out how to not fuck it up like I usually do  :lol

You and me both, bro.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »
Alright, here are the scores! I thought about making it up as a list before posting this scoreboard, but I don't see the point as the information is the same, so here it is. :lol

Start sending for round 2, let's see how quickly we can get everyone in.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:29:10 AM by Bolsters »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. R1 results up - send me R2 songs now
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
swag  :hat
sending R2 now.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2016, 01:14:34 AM »
Second place, huh? I'm alright with that. 13 out of 15 and two 4 out of 5 is about as great as it can get I guess. Glad all the judges liked my song. I'll send the next round later today.

Oh please, fuck up away. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2016, 01:20:53 AM »
Just a reminder so that it's clear: Round 2 is a blue round, therefore the primary judge this time will be 425.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2016, 03:28:46 AM »
I love how my top 4 are still the top 4 in the same order even after adding the other judges' scores. The only two participants who really changed their position by a lot are Wolfking and Parama. I especially found 425's comments on Parama's song interesting, since the second part he hated so much was actually my facourite part of the song. :lol

Edit: And how I found the growls in lonestar's song awkward, while the other two judges thought they fit well :lol