Author Topic: 2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION  (Read 105378 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
2016 Roulette Championship v. THE CONCLUSION
« on: January 01, 2016, 04:35:44 AM »

Hello and welcome to the second official Roulette Championship! :metal The competition won't be starting for at least another week, but I'm creating the thread early for sign-ups. Anyone who has won a roulette in the last two years will be eligible to participate (listed below). So, who's in?

Details about how the roulette will run are forthcoming, so stay tuned.

Eligible Participant List
Green = Confirmed Participant  Red = Declined Participation  Black = Unconfirmed (Not participating)

Evermind
jingle.boy
lonestar
Nekov
Parama
Sacul
Scorpion
senecadawg2
wolfking
bl5150
Dark Castle
sneakyblueberry
TAC
adace
Lowdz
Nihil-Morari
Zantera

Post containing format & rules

Post containing banned artists lists

Round 1 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Round 2 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Round 3 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Tier 1 Score Breakdown

Round 4 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Round 5 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Round 6 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Tier 2 Score Breakdown

Tier 1+2 Score Breakdown

Round 7 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Round 8 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Round 9 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Tier 3 Score Breakdown

Tier 1+2+3 Score Breakdown

Round 10 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Round 11 Results: Tyrias 425 Mr. Red

Tier 4 Score Breakdown

Total Score Breakdown

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:31:02 PM by Bolsters »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Sign up now!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 04:58:39 AM »
I like this idea, will followand hopefully someday win a roulette myself!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »
I'm in.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 07:04:52 AM »
I was gonna wait to see what the rules were but seeing how I have the chance to kick lonestar's and jboy's ass I'm very much in
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 07:12:19 AM »
Put me down as a definitely tentative maybe for sure.  Depends on who the judges are.  I learned a long time ago, Roulette's become frustrating for participant and judge/organizer when tastes are not aligned.

Is the format going to be similar to what you proposed a few months ago?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:18:01 AM »
Put me down as a definitely tentative maybe for sure.
Commitment: You suck at it.

Format is the same. The rule we disussed where people couldn't use the same songs is out though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 07:23:12 AM »
Put me down as a definitely tentative maybe for sure.
Commitment: You suck at it.

Format is the same. The rule we disussed where people couldn't use the same songs is out though.

Thanks for the pink.  Better than alternating my letters as green/red.

I'll lean towards being in, but it also depends on when the Roulette's that I do want to participate in (you, Ruslan, lonestar, jj) come up.  Playing in too many at once is also something I try to avoid.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 07:41:04 AM »
I'm in
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 07:58:58 AM »
I'll lean towards being in, but it also depends on when the Roulette's that I do want to participate in (you, Ruslan, lonestar, jj) come up.  Playing in too many at once is also something I try to avoid.
If it helps, I plan to put mine on hold until this is near its end if not until it's actually finished.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
If it helps, I plan to put mine on hold until this is near its end if not until it's actually finished.

He's just afraid he'll get his ass kicked, leave him be
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
totes ready to get last place in this  :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »
I'm not too fond of this idea - I don't play in the roulettes I know I've got no chance of winning - so I'll wait and see who the jugdes are before signing up.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
Ruslan and Chad, shit or get off the pot you pussies.

Sign me up bro so I can slap these guys around one more time.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
You can count me as in.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »
I want to know what the rules and shit are too and who's judging etc., but fuck it, I'll be in.

I'm with Chad though that I don't want to be in too many roulettes at once.  Don't have the time for that at the moment, and would rather participate in individuals roulettes over this to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
totes ready to get last place in this  :tup
This :P

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 08:01:47 PM »
I'm not too fond of this idea - I don't play in the roulettes I know I've got no chance of winning - so I'll wait and see who the jugdes are before signing up.
I want to know what the rules and shit are too and who's judging etc., but fuck it, I'll be in.

I've got shit to do today, but later tonight I will be writing up the rules properly and posting them - and at the same time revealing the judges. Technically this could be "tomorrow" for some of you.

Ruslan and Chad, shit or get off the pot you pussies.
That's why they're pink now. :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
i've got a laptop and an internet connection so, what the fuck.  count me in.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
i've got a laptop and an internet connection so, what the fuck.  count me in.
You might wanna have some songs, too. Just a suggestion.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 2016 Roulette Championship v. Sign up now! (Ruled & Format posted)
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 04:11:18 AM »
Format
  • There will be three judges for this roulette. They will be referred to as the Green Judge, the Blue Judge, and the Red Judge.
  • All songs in all rounds will be scored by each of the three judges. However, each round the judges will take turns being the Primary Judge. The primary judge will score your songs out of 15 in their round, and the two Secondary Judges will score your songs out of 5, for a total score out of 25. The judges may give scores containing half-points if they so wish. The rounds will be colour-coded so that you know which judge is the primary judge for that round.
  • The rounds of the roulette will be separated into tiers. There will be three tiers of three rounds, each round within a tier having a different Primary Judge. After each tier of three rounds completes, the lowest-scoring competitors will be eliminated from the roulette at what we will call an Elimination Point. The number of people to be eliminated at each point will be determined later, when we know exactly how many people will be participating in the roulette.
  • After those three tiers, there will be a fourth and final tier of two rounds. These rounds will not have primary or secondary judges; instead, each judge will score your songs out of 10 for a total out of 30 per round. There will only be three people participating in the finals; by then, everyone else will have been eliminated.
  • Your scores will carry over from previous tiers, so determining who is going to be eliminated at each Elimination Point will be based on overall scores, not your scores for the current tier.
  • At the end of all 11 rounds, the participant with the highest score will be the victor.
  • In the event that there are people tied right on the cut-off line when an Elimination Point comes up, I will be acting as a tie-breaking judge. Nothing fancy, I will just listen to your submitted songs and the person whose songs appeal to me the most gets to stay.

So, the roulette will end up playing out like this:

TIER 1
1. Green Judge round (open)
2. Blue Judge round (open)
3. Red Judge round (open)
--Elimination Point--
TIER 2
4. Green Judge round (possibly themed)
5. Blue Judge round (possibly themed)
6. Red Judge round (possibly themed)
--Elimination Point--
TIER 3
7. Green Judge round (possibly themed)
8. Blue Judge round (possibly themed)
9. Red Judge round (possibly themed)
--Elimination Point--
TIER 4
10. Finals, round 1 (open)
11. Finals, round 2 (open)

Format (continued)
  • Each round, there will be a different banned artists list in play depending upon who the Primary Judge is. These will be colour-coded to the rounds they correspond to (IE, the red banned list will be in effect during red rounds). The lists are comprised of the Primary Judge's list combined with any artists banned by both Secondary Judges.
  • In the event that a song is sent from an artist not banned, but one of the Secondary Judges is familiar with and likes/loves the song or artist, that judge may elect to abstain and offer no score, and therefore no points, to the song. If this happens, the person who submitted it will be informed and they will have the option of sticking with the song (and getting a score out of 20 instead of 25), or changing their submission.
  • The judges' individual banned lists will also be provided for reference.
  • Writeups will be posted in the thread at the discretion of each judge. These posts will, however, not contain your scores.
  • Once all three judges have posted their writeups in the thread, I will post the scores all of them gave you, update the standings, and begin the next round.

Submitting
  • All submissions will be sent to me via forum Private Message, not to the judges directly.
  • The preferred formats for submissions are Youtube links or Spotify URI links.
  • In the event that you need to send a file, either use Mega, or attach it to an email. Ask for my address if you want to go that route.
  • For the first three rounds (tier 1) you will not be allowed to submit songs longer than 10 minutes.
  • Starting from round 4 (tier 2) you will be allowed to send songs up to 15 minutes in length.
  • For tiers 3 and 4 (rounds 7 through 11) there will be no hard song length limit imposed, but you will be asked to take into consideration the number of songs each judge has to listen to and that the roulette needs to move at a reasonable pace.

The Judges

Well, I guess it's about time I told you all who the judges are. So without further ado...

Oh come on, you guys didn't think this would be that easy, did you? :neverusethis:

For the entirety of the roulette, the Red Judge's identity will (hopefully) be kept a secret. They won't be able to post in the thread (since it's against forum rules to have two active accounts), so they will send their writeups and such to me, along with any other comments they may have, and I will post on their behalf. From now on I'm just going to call them Mystery Judge Mr. Red.

Banned Artist Lists

You'll get them once I have received each judge's list and compiled them in the intended manner. Just waiting on the anonymous one to send, no rush though. they're probably banned
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:20:56 PM by Bolsters »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2016, 04:21:25 AM »
I bet it's the mystery dude from Jingle's roulette  :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2016, 04:33:49 AM »
I bet it's the mystery dude from Jingle's roulette  :corn
I am 100% certain it is not the same person.

Or maybe I only said that because it is.

Or maybe I only said that because it isn't.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2016, 04:52:17 AM »
Damnit, I wanted to be the blue judge. I don't think I can work under this circumstances, so sorry, I'm out....

Just kidding :angel: Don't really care what my color is :blush.

Also, since a few players probably don't know me all that well (with me only having about 300 posts and such), I'd like to address a few points concerning my music tastes and how I will be scoring to start with.
Music Tastes: Many of you whose Roulette's I've played in know that I tend to send more songs outside of this forums comfort zone than is usual (dubstep, ahem). That doesn't mean I only listen to non-rock/prog music, I enjoy a good classic rock song just as much as a good Hip-Hop, Prog, Electronica or Classical song. That's actually why I applied to be a judge for this, there is no such thing as a genre I really dislike, there's stuff that I like in every genre I know of (and that ranges from Jazz to traditional Latin American Music to Pop to Metal to Electronica to Prog and everything in between.

Grading:
Since we're apparently given the choice what to do with songs that we know I'm gonna use the following rules: If an artist sent in a round where I'm a Sec' is on my banned list, I will deduct 2 points from your score. If I know the song but the artist is not on my banned list, I will deduct 1 point from the score.
Why do I do this? Well, since we have three different banned lists, I think it will get hard for people to send stuff since a lot of bands will be banned over the three different lists. So now you can send stuff from my banned list without completely screwing over my score. Also, I tried to only include bands in my list where I actually know a fair share of the band's output. There are however also a lot of bands where I only know a few songs and thus I didn't put them on my list. I will deduct one point in this case because you get a kind of "starting bonus" from me being familiar with the song, with gives a bit of an advantage over other submissions. So I'm punishing you a bit, but you can still get a 4/5 if I really like the song.

SO now that that's settled, let's all have a lot of fun in this! And I hope to get some awesome music ;).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2016, 05:03:38 AM »
Tyrias, kinda off-topic but I really want to be in your v2 roulette, your tastes are very interesting, and I think I have some interesting stuff for you that I don't think would be appreciated by others.   :yarr

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 05:07:52 AM »
You're welcome in, but I think it's still going to be like half a year before it's my turn :lol.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 05:28:59 AM »
425 is fine, I've still got a lot of stuff to impress him, and Tyrias' tastes are quite unknown for me. I may go with some folk music though, he seems to like it.

Question to Tyrias: if you already know the song, will you let the participant know about it, or just deduce 1 point and roll on with it? Because I would probably like to send the songs unknown to all the judges, and I don't want to lose any points due to that, thus the question.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 05:49:44 AM »
Question to Tyrias: if you already know the song, will you let the participant know about it, or just deduce 1 point and roll on with it? Because I would probably like to send the songs unknown to all the judges, and I don't want to lose any points due to that, thus the question.

Depends. I think the way we're doing this is that everyone sends their songs to Bolsters, and I'm not sure when he'll forward them to me. My guess right now is that he'll just compile all the songs and fast-forward them to me (and the other judges). In that case it would really slow down the roulette if we asked people to resubmit after that, cause we would have to distribute the new songs again, some judges might already have started listening etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Bolsters).

So, if you wanna be safe, it's probably best if you just send me a copy of the PM you're sending to Bolsters when I'm a Sec (<- my abbreviation for secondary judge), and I'll give you a heads up if your song would get a minus 1. I don't expect this to happen often (it would surprise me if we had more than 3 such cases in the entire roulette), I just wanted to have the rule set in stone from the start.

Also, changed my avatar for the roulette.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 06:20:04 AM »
Fuckit... sign me up.  I had a quick perusal of Tyrias and 425's roulettes, and it seems there's some alignment in tastes.  Besides, at the rate I'm going, this might be the last 'Championship' Roulette I get to participate in.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 06:29:43 AM »
Since we're apparently given the choice what to do with songs that we know I'm gonna use the following rules: If an artist sent in a round where I'm a Sec' is on my banned list, I will deduct 2 points from your score. If I know the song but the artist is not on my banned list, I will deduct 1 point from the score.
What? You don't have any choice whatsoever! :neverusethis:

I'd rather you just abstain in those cases. If you get a song you know from an artist you didn't ban, there must be a lot of songs by them that you don't know...that person can send a different song. If someone sends an artist on your banned list (but not the round banned list) a score out of 20 instead of 25 isn't a huge penalty. The idea is that there is a deterrent but people can do it if they want/need to. So yeah go with that. ;)

As for how I was going to handle submissions, I was only going to group up what I received in each 24 hour period before passing them along, not wait until I had all of them. Partly so you could let me know early if you wanted to abstain/wanted someone to resend, partly because some people take forever to send and I didn't want the entire roulette to come to a grinding halt because one or two people were slow. I figured it's also easier for contestants if they only have one person to send to instead of three, and they have to send to me anyway since I am passing things to Mr. Red (I think that's a better name than Mystery Judge so I'm going with that now) and figured I could just do it for everyone.

Anyway, those of you looking for more information on the judges' tastes and such before the banned lists appear might want to check out their roulettes.

You can view the Tyrias roulette here.
You can view 425's roulette here.
And, you can check out Mr. Red's roulette here.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
Wow, the mystery judge actually has quite some musical similarities to me, if I was in this, I would have a great chance.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 06:38:42 AM »
I'll pass.......with thanks for the invite.  Too much going on for me in the next month or two (including moving house) and I am not sure that I will dig this format near as much as the upcoming individual roulettes I am pumped up for (and already prepped for).

Following and shit........
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 06:44:20 AM »
I'll pass.......with thanks for the invite.  Too much going on for me in the next month or two (including moving house) and I am not sure that I will dig this format near as much as the upcoming individual roulettes I am pumped up for (and already prepped for).
Fair enough. You'd better have your shit together by the time it's my turn to host though. :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2016, 06:50:30 AM »
I already have my first song lined up for you............TNT's Everyone's A Star  :P  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 06:52:07 AM »
I already have my first song lined up for you............TNT's Everyone's A Star  :P  ;D

:clap:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 06:55:58 AM »
:slowclap: