Author Topic: A Thread of Iconoclasts  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: A Thread of Iconoclasts
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
It depends on your situation.

I’ve lived in four countries, and my friends in each country beyond my native one were a mix of locals and people from all over the place. Regardless of people spamming it with garbage, without Facebook, it would be next to impossible to stay remotely familiar with what’s going on in all of these people’s lives, not to mention not losing contact with them altogether.

And I don’t even know what Snapchat is.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
Yeah I agree on the snapchat thing, it's pretty ridiculous. I mean some people literally start conversations on Snapchat and just either send a picture of a black background or their own face along with the 30 characters they're limited to. I don't need 10 pictures of your face just to know how your day is going man..
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2016, 11:29:19 AM »
well, to @FluffyLothario, to some degree I'm being facetious, and playing the role of crotchety old man.  I get that there are some legitimate uses, but it seems that we have taken it well past that as well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2016, 11:44:21 AM »
well, to @FluffyLothario, to some degree I'm being facetious, and playing the role of crotchety old man.  I get that there are some legitimate uses, but it seems that we have taken it well past that as well.

I post random things about everything at one point or another, but the greatest thing about Facebook for me is that I can keep close contact with my family. I've also found family there that I never knew I had. I do a lot of genealogy research and Facebook has helped me to meet some of them in person.  I have well over a hundred family members on my page.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
I went through a phase of a mindset of “remember when people used Facebook mainly to talk to each other and not just post garbage and piss about?” But now I think it hasn’t really changed THAT much. People always posted a lot of shit on there, people do still talk, and the use of it to chat has probably died down partly just from the novelty wearing off. Plus, the entire world is now oriented around getting people to spam their business or their band or their new season’s trailer or their cause on Facebook, so no wonder it’s cluttered now.

That was why I specified that the thing that really gets my goat are, for example, the people who share Jesus/Bible quote pics or links to Christian websites at a rate of, say, 3-12 a day on there. People who are actively, purposefully spamming it, who are incapable, or seem to feel no need to filter, to whom the thought “am I posting too much?” is untouched territory.

I have a friend who is really into TV. Every moment of dialogue she watches and enjoys becomes her new status. If she watches TV for three or four hours, her ’status’ might update 10-20 times. And then she spams it just as freely with all manner of shit from tumblr.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »
I scroll right by them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »
"WINTER IS COMING"

"SAY MY NAME"

"WHY SO SERIOUS"

FUCK

ALL OF YOU

:lol No but really, screw all the people that do that in their parroting, dirty assholes. Yes, the people saying those lines are awesome. You? You are annoying. An annoying parrot who smells bad and no one likes you and you'll never be as cool as the people saying those lines except for maybe some people in GoT because some people saying those lines are dimwitted fodder characters who will quickly die.  :angel: :metal

Christ I haven't had social media of any kind in nearly a decade and that shit STILL annoys me. THEY'RE STILL WINNING. AAAAAAAHHHHHH.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2016, 11:58:58 AM »
Well actually I say some of those famous lines (I`d like to include "The cake is a lie." right there), but just for fun and to annoy some of my friends (I`m not doing that with other persons than my friends due to it being extremely annoying). So yes, I understand that you dislike it, but sometimes it`s quite funny to mess with people using these sentences.

BTW: Where does "SAY MY NAME" even come from? :huh:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
Well actually I say some of those famous lines (I`d like to include "The cake is a lie." right there), but just for fun and to annoy some of my friends (I`m not doing that with other persons than my friends due to it being extremely annoying). So yes, I understand that you dislike it, but sometimes it`s quite funny to mess with people using these sentences.

BTW: Where does "SAY MY NAME" even come from? :huh:

Breaking Bad.  Heisenberg.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
It's from that Florence + The Machine song :neverusethis:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
I DON'T CARE WIZARD, FUCK YOU MAN; YOU'RE RUINING HUMANITY.

Just kidding. I just get annoyed with mass Facebook postings every time some line catches and I STILL have to hear about it either through links posted on normal sites or friends talking about the Facebook posts and not in jest. When you're talking about Facebook a good length of time in your actual life...ew. Especially if you're constantly bitching about it... Get rid of it or shut your face hole and deal with it, it's optional. I mean, for now...*DUN DUN DUUUUUN*

RIP DTP.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »
I DON'T CARE WIZARD, FUCK YOU MAN; YOU'RE RUINING HUMANITY.

Just kidding. I just get annoyed with mass Facebook postings every time some line catches and I STILL have to hear about it either through links posted on normal sites or friends talking about the Facebook posts and not in jest. When you're talking about Facebook a good length of time in your actual life...ew. Especially if you're constantly bitching about it... Get rid of it or shut your face hole and deal with it, it's optional. I mean, for now...*DUN DUN DUUUUUN*

Actually, I don`t even have Facebook, so no, definitely not. I`m really just doing it for fun (and not very often).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
Joking bro. Totally joking. (about anything concerning you) Also not referring to you in the latter part of the paragraph about Facebook. I don't care what you do. GO RUIN YOUR LIFE. YOUR MOTHER AND I HAVE WORKED HARD ENOUGH.

^That is also a joke. I'm not your father.

I'm your brother. *noogie*
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:24:34 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2016, 01:40:13 AM »
"A Thread Of Iconoclasts" would be a pretty interesting album title. :metal

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2016, 01:42:40 AM »
"A Thread Of Iconoclasts" would be a pretty interesting album title. :metal

Greetings...
Nef

;)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2016, 08:33:48 PM »
Coconut, and I've given it MANY tries. I can't stand the taste and I can't stand the texture of shaved coconut. I love German Chocolate Cake, but it gets to the point where I have scrape the coconut-laden frosting off and just eat the cake plain.