Author Topic: A Thread of Iconoclasts  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
A Thread of Iconoclasts
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
We all hate or dislike something that is loved by general consensus. Whether it's music, books, television, there's always a discombobulation in our minds as to what the frack people find so great about it. Let's hear yours.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: A Thread of Iconoclasts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
Olives.  Stomp those mothers. I hate them.

Rap music.  I just can't get into it.

Fruitcake.  Why, just why.

Lack of politeness.  It's a me world.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »
Definitely concur on Olives. Foul.

As for rap it depends for me... I like rap when it's comedic, but that's about it.

Reality shows. Why do people watch these?

Game of Thrones. I love the books, A Song of Ice and Fire, but the show just makes me angry/sad/disappointed.

What the heck do people find entertaining about Assassin's Creed games? Call of Duty? Battlefield? Five Nights At Freddy's?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »
Cole slaw

Reality show. Why do people watch these?

So much this.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »
Oh god yes on reality shows.  I have enough reality in my life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 11:40:03 AM »
Game of Thrones. I love the books, A Song of Ice and Fire, but the show just makes me angry/sad/disappointed.

Same here. I may finish season 4 some day, but there is no way I would watch beyond that.

What the heck do people find entertaining about Assassin's Creed games? Call of Duty? Battlefield? Five Nights At Freddy's?

I like Treyarch's CoD games because of my ongoing Zombies addiction. I love this type of cooperative multiplayer game. Otherwise, I feel the same way about the rest of those titles.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
Some of these are easy targets (reality TV? Someone's watching it, though!) but for me: CELLPHONES.   I would put a jammer in in my house if I didn't think I would get strung up by my cods from the three women that live here.   Flipping ridiculous, if you ask me.   

A close second:  Michael Anthony in Van Halen.  Dammit, you can't have even an oblique reference to Van Halen these days without the obligatory "It's not Van Halen without Michael Anthony".   I get it; he's great, he can sing, he can play bass...  but honestly, when the band is named "Van Halen" and there are THREE out of FOUR guys who's drivers' licenses say "Van Halen" on them, YOU'RE WRONG. 

A distant third:  Twatter.  I think it is - along with the devil's semen that is diet soda - the harbinger of the apocalypse.  Why anyone would think that anything worth saying could (or SHOULD) be distilled down to "140 characters or less" isn't thinking hard enough.

Call me "Ludd". 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
I don't like The Dark Knight, but love Begins and Rises.

I also don't like Skyfall but enjoy all the other Daniel Craig bond films.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
Yet another reason DTF is a great place because I haven't seen a single person say they genuinely like reality shows. I'll jump on this gang beating. Fuck those things. Let's kick the shit out them and then not let them in our gang. (Stadler, it's an easy target on DTF. Most places it's at least a guilty pleasure for some people and more often than not a wildly naive "what's wrong with teen mom/kardashians/swamp people/inbred funhouse/golden skinned guido house/plastic tit farm/mykidshateme/genital swap/I'mNotBruceJenner!?!?")

Also in on the olive hate. It's a misnomer now but when I was chuggin' dem martinis, I'd have one in my drink every now and again considering I was basically just drinking pure vodka, it was hardly a martini at all...but every once in a while I took a step into the wild side and had myself an olive in that liver killer.

Since we're a music forum... Country. I'm so open minded in all aspects of life that it gets me into trouble sometimes. Except country music. If you listen to country music, I've judged you. If you play country music for me, I immediately dislike you in some fashion. If you tell me that this one country song is different from the rest, I'm going to fuck your useless little brain into a nice puree. I hate country. I hate all of it. The nearly identical lyrical content and/or symbolism/imagery of every song, the way it's sung in an almost exact fashion no matter the band or generation or style...it all sounds way too similar to me...those fucking geetars, especially the twang, fuck your twang. Everything. I hate it all. If there was a Hitler for country music, I'd be the man and I stand tall in my commitment of mass genocide towards the Countrians. Death to country singers. Death to country players. Death to country.

That felt good.

Also chickpeas.

Also traditional cake. It's a disgustingly thick layer of pure goo that is the product of a man made of sugar and cream and he takes a shit and you know what comes out? Icing. All of that glorious turd sugar on top of what? An awesome mixture of ingredients, no doubt? Nope. It's fucking spongey bread. Now let's dig in YAAAAAYYYYY! *barfs on your cake, accidentally making it better*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
I don't like The Dark Knight, but love Begins and Rises.

That's straight up wacko :p

I'll add to the mention of coleslaw earlier, sauerkraut and relish. Just keep vegetables covered in slime that stink away from me in general okay?

@Tio on country, I don't remember if you're into Devin Townsend? If so does this opinion extend to songs like Trainfire or the album Casualties of Cool? I generally dislike country but I dig Trainfire and a few songs from CoC.

On the subject of music: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis...meh. Especially the latter two, at least I can get the appeal of the Beatles.

Also, the Johnny Cash version of Hurt. No, it is not better than the original, and fuck you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:16:31 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »
Gen, I forgot to mention that... It's one of the few reasons why I consider myself religious (Seventh day Townsenist) because Townsend made me like a country song, I stand corrected. I do really like Trainfire a lot and love Casualties of Cool. But I was shot down by an ex of mine who I showed both to when she said "it's ridiculous how much you hate country" and upon hearing some songs from CoC and Trainfire she said "THATS BLUES NOT COUNTRY".  :lol But I agree, it's pretty much the absolute closest to country I've gotten and it still weirds me out when hearing it.

But y'know, it also doesn't surprise me in the least that HE (our lord and savior) would get me to like at least a song that sounds similar to the genre. He's also the man that made me open up (again, if ever so slightly...except ten fold more than country) to dub step. Dub step definitely would've been on this list before I heard Deconstruction, but now I've got Deadmou5e on my music collection soooo...damn.

That's it though, but thanks for the reminder; I still remember how stunned I was when it happened. It was like...man, it was honestly like having a religious experience. Like, "Oh my lawd, I've seen the light!" (except with none of my dickish sarcasm) and then I realized it was just Townsend and I still hated everything I hated before; he just temporarily broke my entire world view.

RIP DTP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:22 PM »
I hate New Year's Eve.

I mean, I don't mind at all having a party with friends, count down from 10 to 0, cheer loud and have fun, but that's it. I don't have the "culture" of NYE and I don't understand people who have it.

I don't know how it works in other parts of the world, but this time of the year my Facebook wall is clustered with jokes about how you must never ever ask what someone's doing for New Year's Eve, like it is a crying shame to admit to not have yet plans for what evidently must be the most important night of the year (says who?). Everyone is TERRIFIED of having to explain why one month before the 31th of December they don't have yet a wonderful and wondrous party to attend where all the "in" people will be there.

To hell with all of that. I couldn't care less to have a glorious NYE, if the devil appears in front of me and offers me something in exchange for a crappy NYE, I would trade it for basically anything. "Iron Maiden will play in your city - hell, they actually will!! - but you'll have a horrible NYE", deal. "You will visit Norway since you love it so much, but you will have a crappy NYE", deal. "You will have nice weather in every day of your summer holidays, but you will be sick on NYE", deal. I can't imagine of something that I wouldn't trade for this "especially special" night, again, says who?

Tonight I will attend a party where an irish rock band will play, it's a small club, I think 50-60 people max will be there, who cares, I like the band, there will be some friends I know, that's all the NYE I need, I gladly leave to the supposedly "cool" people whatever party with stupid dance music and trite rites they'll attend.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
Amen, just chilling with some friends tonight playing board games LIKE A BAWSS

I'll add another thing: Clubs. Fuck clubs. I would rather die alone that meet someone at a club.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 12:39:03 PM »
Reality shows. Why do people watch these?
The thing that bugs me the most about reality TV is that most people vastly underestimate the extent to which these shows are themselves scripted, the personalities invented or embellished, the situations fabricated to play up to your emotions, etc.

I mean, as an example, Susan Boyle. The moment I saw the clip of her stunning the judges and surprising all the people making the show who were so cruel to write her off just because she’s middle-aged and ugly and didn’t she just show them all up, I immediately thought, there’s no way this is real, there’s no way the judges and people making the show didn’t know she sounded like that in advance, and their reactions are genuine.

Everyone knows that at these kinds of shows, they are looking for people waiting in line with interesting personalities or back stories, or who actually possess considerable talent - you literally see them doing it on the show, for fuck’s sake.

So they undoubtedly saw an ugly frumpy virginal 40 year old woman who no-one would assume had much talent, got her to sing a few lines and found out that in fact she wasn’t bad at all. Oh, and she wants to sing I Had A Dream, that’s perfect! They get more footage of her backstage, a note is put on her application saying “great singer, but ugly as sin, act dismissive, then act super shocked when she opens her mouth” and gets passed along to the judges.

Something along these lines MUST have happened. And she became a sensation, because absolutely everyone bought it. In the days after it aired, when people brought it up and how amazing it was and how swept away they were, and I suggested maybe it wasn’t entirely authentic, I always got these “alright, there, Poindexter, where’s your tinfoil hat?” type reactions.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »
39 with a 4 year old me feels exactly that about New Years Eve.  But 20-something me rocked the clubs hard on NYE every year, and I loved every minute of it. But now, I highly dislike the mentality of "It's NYE, we HAVE to do SOMETHING!!"

I hate olives, except black olives on pizza. And I double-hate hummus. God that stuff is disgusting.

I hate reality shows only because that seems to be the only thing my wife watches, and she watches them a lot.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »
Ok, here goes.....

Coffee. I fucking can't stand it, never have never will. It taste like bitter ass. Don't like it any way, or in desserts, or anything, it's fucking gross and always will be.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »
I believe there was a Cracked article a while back written for someone who worked for one of those shows, American Idol or X Factor or the like, and they basically confirmed that. The people who actually get to go in front of the real judges are first vetted by people who are basically casting agents and producers, and they select people who are either going to be succesful, or people like William Hung who they can get a laugh out of.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
Another one was the big scandal last year on NZ Idol when the two judges ripped that dude to bits and then everyone turned on them and their careers were over.

Now I’m not suggesting what they said wasn’t horrible, but we all know these shows like to have a surly insulting judge. Which means these two were probably being paid to take up that character and say bad shit about contestants on the show. On that particular night, they took it too far, but I very much doubt they wouldn’t have gone out of their way to be extra insulting to the guy if it wasn’t their fucking job to do just that.

I suggested that the fault ultimately lies with garbage talent shows that clearly hire someone to play an insulting judge, and holy shit, some of the reactions I got from people who enjoy this fucking swill.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
I believe I've stepped into the Festivus airing of grievances.

I hate run-of-the-mill canned/jarred olives.  Give me a fresh olive soaked in some tasty oils though...mmmmm

Bacon.  Sure, it's good and tasty, but it's not gonna suck my dick or anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »
I should have included coffee as well. Which, living in Seattle, does garner me quite a few weird looks. People say it's an acquired taste. I hated it the first time, why would I subject myself to drinking more of it in the hopes of liking it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »

Bacon.  Sure, it's good and tasty, but it's not gonna suck my dick or anything.

You could wrap it around yours.  Girls got to have bacon as well

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
The Big Band Theory. It's just not funny people. Stop laughing because your told that the show is funny....open your eyes....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
Yeah, The Big Bang Theory is one of the most stunningly unfunny shows I've ever seen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
Shame on you two.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »

Offline Randaran

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
Superhero, and particularly Marvel, films. A friend convinced me to see Guardians of the Galaxy with him during its opening weekend a few years back. Never again; I can't stand this type of film.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
Last year?  :rollin

It's okay, my internal calendar is fucked too.

RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »
That was LAST year? Damn, time is distorted when you're apathetic.  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
The Big Band Theory. It's just not funny people. Stop laughing because your told that the show is funny....open your eyes....

Is that a class at Berklee?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 02:30:16 AM »
Modern sitcoms in general. They drown out the crickets with the over used laugh track.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 03:12:24 AM »

What's more infuriating about it is that people keep nagging me to watch it thinking that because they're "nerds" who make references to Star Trek, that I'll love it. No. Total shit.

My list would be-
The new Batman series - specifically TDK, which I would have stopped watching half way through if people hadn't raved about it being so amazing, and have officially given up on ever watching another superhero movie since. Everything about it was awful to me.

Sports - All of them. I don't get the appeal of living vicariously through a group of people playing a game based on geographical proximity.

Dogs - just nope.

And most importantly-
Your favourite band - whoever they are, I probably hate them. :P

Probably a ton more. I hate a lot of things.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 05:24:13 AM »
Blob, live long and prosper. OK? :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 08:40:17 AM »
Modern sitcoms in general. They drown out the crickets with the over used laugh track.

Absolutely this. There are very few comedy's on right now that (IMO) are truly funny. But to be honest, I haven't religiously watched a network comedy since 'The Office' went off the air....and even then at the end it wasn't as good as it 'was'. I hung in there out of devotion. I also thought Community was funny.....but really, nothing else pops out at me as being funny that I've seen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 08:48:52 AM »
Gary, try Brooklyn Nine Nine.  One of the few funny sitcoms out there. I think you'll like it.