Author Topic: The 2016 Retrospective Challange  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
The 2016 Retrospective Challange
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
I originally wasn't going to do this thread, as I figured I'd be the only one participating, but a few guys encouraged me last night, and so here we go.

I had originally done this a few years back, with a much smaller collection, and literally don't know if this will be possible this time around, but I want to try. The rule is simple: With the exception of material purchased in 2016, listen to each and every studio album I have once, without repeating anything. The reasoning behind this is firstly to appreciate what you have. I'm fortunate to have the music I do, and am sad to say there are some discs that have gone unplayed for years. With this setup in place, no matter how much I love A Farewell to Kings, once I've listened to it, I don't get to again until I've finished listening to every other studio album. This helps bring a perspective and appreciation to everything, and helps dig out gems that may have been buried.

Hopefully some others will join along and take the challenge with me, and comment on the albums they've listened to as I will be doing. If no one else is participating I'll let this die.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
Re: The 2016 Retrospective Challange
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
Okay Nick, you've thrown down the challenge, and since I do not yet have a NY resolution, this may as well be one.  :lol  This should be interesting since I have thousands of albums across many genres.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!  :corn
- Ronzoni -

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »
Since I was one of the people to encourage you, I suppose I should follow and participate.

I guess this is like the "Nick Discography" discussion thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Since I was one of the people to encourage you, I suppose I should follow and participate.

I guess this is like the "Nick Discography" discussion thread.

Well, that's why I'm trying to get others to do the same, so it's more of a discussion for everyone going through it. Speaking of which...

Okay Nick, you've thrown down the challenge, and since I do not yet have a NY resolution, this may as well be one.  :lol  This should be interesting since I have thousands of albums across many genres.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!  :corn

Sweet! I haven't counted, but I know I'm over a thousand studio albums, but definitely not at thousands (2,000+) yet. Still, that's at minimum 3 albums a day, not including the 2016 stuff I will be keeping up with, so I really don't know if I'll be able to pull it off.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 11:18:10 AM »
If I count all the studio albums I listen to on a regular basis or have listened to regularly in the past I don't think I have nearly as much as you guys, but I still don't think I can pull this off. I tend to just shuffle all my shit on Spotify and replay something if I'm in the mood or if it's one of my favorites. I might reconsider this though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
To be clear... I'm not actually doing this myself, just following Nick's masochistic attempt to do so.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 01:19:33 PM »

With 772 albums, this is something i definitely want to do, but knowing myself its not gonna happen. Music is my medicine. Some people need their Xanax or their prozac to get through the day. I need my music, and its all based on mood. I need what I need, when I need it.

But I'm rooting for those who are doing it though  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
In my library - 1,974 albums (though, not all are complete albums); 16,563 songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »
can't do this bcuz i still have some 15-20 albums from christmas to listen to many more times early 2016  :P
plus this would be unfair to all the stuff i got in 2015 anyways

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
Not even thinking about touching my digital library. That would push this from extremely tough to entirely impossible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
I have the library to do this but no way Jose.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
This is one time I won't give you flack for failing, should you fail.  This is the eating challenge equivalent to eating an entire cow in a week.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
Man vs Music

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: The 2016 Retrospective Challenge
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »
This sounds like a cool idea, and actually kinda like something I had thought about doing before. I don't know that I'll get through all of the albums I have (even though it's not a huge number), but I'll follow the thread and post whenever I listen through one of 'em.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:12:40 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
This sounds like a cool idea, and actually kinda like something I had thought about doing before. I don't know that I'll get through all of the albums I have (even though it's not a huge number), but I'll follow the thread and post whenever I listen through one of 'em.

To be honest, for me, it's more important to dig out the old albums and revisit everything I have than actually getting through all of it in a year. If things go well, and I enjoy it as I did last time, I have no problem failing the goal in 2016 but just finishing it out in 2017.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »

This. And I'm looking forward to it!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
Sounds fun in theory, but no way I am depriving myself of what I actually want to listen to at the time, for the sake of forcing myself to listen to every CD I have once. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »
I'll only consider it a failure if you quit.  The time frame may or may not be possible.  If there is approximately 3 hours of music per day not counting new stuff, it may take more than one year.  I wouldn't even consider it cheating if you left off 2015 releases and ones you listened to in the past few months.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »
So, time for my first update:

3 Doors Down - Away From the Sun
Say what you will, I've always loved their first two albums. This album saw better production and a cleaner sound, but I still prefer the debut. A nice break from the regular stuff.

Metallica - Load
So it may not be Master of Puppets, but it's an enjoyable album. Not a huge fan by any stretch, but I can totally see why the big fans at the time might not have been quite so thrilled with this album and the next.

The Flower Kings - Back in the World of Adventure
It may not be one of their classic works, but my lord, was Roine Stolt already showing his genius on this. The sound is there, the guitar work is there, and the epic is fantastic. How cool it must have been to get this when it first came out and followed this band on their meteoric rise over the next few years (relatively speaking).

Royal Hunt - Land of Broken Hearts
This album has always been a hidden gem in the discography, somewhat unlike anything they would do since. Sure, some elements of later works are there, but this album sounds like it was composed around a campfire. Very easy to listen to and sing along to, and for that reason I've always enjoyed revisiting it, even if it's not their best work.

Pendragon - The Jewel
Another album that sets the foundation for later work. Clearly nowhere near their best, best you can absolutely hear their later work taking shape. Probably the last thing a fan should buy, but a nice piece in their history nonetheless.

Labyrinth - No Limits
Yet another debut. Love the techno sounds on a few tracks. A little more relaxed than the more well known works that would follow, but nearly as strong.

Believe - Yesterday is a Friend
A RoSfest band, and my 2nd favorite band from Poland. Also the 2nd band from Poland I listen to. For those who like strong guitar and vocal melodies situated around shorter (for prog) songs, something like this will be absolutely lovely for you.

Blackfield - Blackfield
While I don't feel this album or band is by any stretch the best thing Wilson has been involved in, I'm glad he does it. It shows off a different side of his music. Some classic tracks on this, including Cloudy Now, Blackfield, and Hello.

Fish - Internal Exile
One thing you can count on with early Fish albums is about 3-4 stellar tracks. The rest are usually varying ranges of good to meh, but on this one songs like Shadowplay, Credo, Lucky, and the title track are worth the purchase price alone. This album leans towards the good side of things for the rest, and I've always loved the vibe on it.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
That Metallica album is pretty solid, Outlaw Torn is one of my favorite Metallica songs from the post-Justice era.

3 Doors Down is good, don't know all the songs on it but the ones I do know I like alright.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »
The first band from Poland is Riverside, isn't it? Or am I missing something?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
I only have 3 of those - Load, Back in the World, and Land of Broken Hearts.  All pretty solid.  I tend to like Load more than others.

Will try to spin them over the coming week.  Gonna try to keep up where I can.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
The first band from Poland is Riverside, isn't it? Or am I missing something?

No, it is without question Riverside.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 07:47:56 PM »
Okay, my 2016 playlist (so far) will look quite different from Nick's, and certainly not what one might expect on the DTF!  Judge me not too harshly.   :lol.  Here goes:

Loggins & Messina - The Best of Friends (1976)
Technically NOT a studio album!  But since I'm engaging in this masochistic challenge (and I don't have a studio album from this duo), I'm counting it.  Actually I enjoyed listening to this mellow album, especially watching the Mrs. sway to the beat in approval as she sang along.  Tell me who among us hasn't once enjoyed "Your Mama Don't Dance".

Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)
Taking down the Christmas decorations is always a somewhat melancholic time for me, and I felt this seemed like a suitable disc to spin.  I love this emotional album, and I'll be tempted to revisit it in 2016.  Will I succeed or fail the challenge?

The Cars - The Cars (1978)
Classic debut album with lots of hits from a quirky band!  It had been years since I played this ...I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it again.

Gin Blossoms - Miserable New Experience (1992)
Okay, go ahead and chuckle!  The Mrs. likes this one a lot, and I will admit I enjoy it as well.  It has decent hooks and harmonies throughout.  However, I'm not overly disappointed that I have reached my 2016 quota for this selection.

Vivaldi, Antonio - The Four Seasons (1725)
I haven't listened to this in a while.  It is simple, yet beautiful!

Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline (1995)
This is probably my favorite album from this band.  IMO it has more of a raw intensity than the preceding three releases.  Mike Mangini plays on three of the tracks.

Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Shaka Zulu (1987)
Once again, long time no spin, but I must say it was worth it.  Nice upbeat listening while doing household chores this morning.  I picked this disc up after becoming so impressed by their contributions on Paul Simon's "Graceland".

Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent (1975)
I had a hankering to listen to Stranglehold (one of my favorite songs from this artist - shall we call him that?), and I had some time before settling in to watch some NFL action with my fam.  Listening to some of the tracks was a bit tedious, just like watching the Patriots play today!  :-\ (not sure if I'll ever spin this album again).
- Ronzoni -

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
OK, here are some albums that I've listened to in the past few days.

Evanescence - Fallen

This is just a really solid album, filled with great riffs, tightly written songs, and fantastic vocals courtesy of Amy Lee. I guess I should have mentioned this in the "bands you only like one album from" thread, since none of Evanescence's other material really does much for me. I think the key to the brilliance on this album is the partnership of Ben Moody and Amy Lee. Lee's vocals are always great, but Moody really supplies the songwriting here, I believe. Also Hello is my favorite song. Maybe I should do a "favorite song" recommendation at the end of each of these? Yeah, that sounds good. Let's do that.

Killer Be Killed - Killer Be Killed

This was my favorite album from 2014, I think (kinda hard to remember back that far :P). My interest in this group (a supergroup, composed of Mastodon, DEP, Soulfly members) was mainly based on the involvement of Greg Puciato, and he really tears it up on vocals, but the rest of the group really impressed me as well. Both Max Cavalera and Troy Sanders do a great job as co-vocalists with Puciato, and as instrumentalists. The drummer is good too (I can't remember his name). I don't really know how to place this album genre-wise. It's heavy, but not as frenetic or abrasive as DEP, and has a pretty good mix of harsh/clean vocals (a good mix to me, at least :P).   

Oh yeah, favorite song: Wings of Feather and Wax

Angels and Airwaves - The Dreamwalker

This is my favorite AVA album. I'm honestly still not sure how the guy behind Blink 182, which is by all accounts a fairly milquetoast group, can make this kind of music. This album has a bit more of an electronic influence than other AVA records, but otherwise is still driven by the instrumental soundscapes and anthemic choruses that characterized previous albums. DeLonge doesn't have a hugely powerful voice or a ton of range, but what he does with it is pretty amazing; I can't imagine anyone else doing justice to these songs.

Favorite song: Kiss With a Spell

Jupiter Society - Terraform

I think I bought this album during my "anything prog metal" phase, and also I guess because the cover art was pretty neat. This is apparently a side project by guy whose main band (I can't remember the name) I've never listened to. I actually haven't listened to this album in a while, but much to my surprise, it's actually quite good. Mats Leven covers most of the vocal duties, and is fantastic as always. The instrumentation is based a lot around keyboard textures and soundscapes, but are still a lot of fantastic head-banging riffs in here. A lot of people probably haven't heard this album, or even of, so if you get a chance, I'd recommend you check it out.

Favorite song: New Universe
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:34:53 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
The only album I knew from either of these last two posts was Weather Systems, and so, despite not wanting to burn such a good album early... I'm listening now.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
Can we maybe have separate threads for each user?

Each time I listen to one of my Jupiter Society albums, I wonder why I don't spin it more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 10:02:28 PM »

I think everyone cluttering the same thread is a bit much too.

I love Load too.  Fantastic album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 06:57:47 AM »

Yes... please.  No offense intended for the other two, but this one was Nick's idea.  No harm in plagiarizing it, but I suggest anyone wanting to do this should have their own thread - and hopefully we don't have like, 24 of these.

Listened to the three from Nick's I knew while playing Witcher 3 yesterday.  Forgot how good that RH album was.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »
Following.

I tried something similar, listening to each of my cds once to discover lost gems and rekindle the fire for old but not played in a long time favorites. I listened to new music in between and I listened to some of my favorites more than once, just because.

I have around 1500 cds and only very limited time per day for music listening. I started this four and a half years ago and hope to complete it soon, I'm on the last Devin Townsend and Queen discs. When I started I thought I could do it an a year and a half maybe.

On topic: That Blackfield debut is nice and Load is my favorite Metallica record (ok, come at me  ;D)
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 02:21:26 PM »
For the record, I had intended with my OP to have other people join me and try it with me here. I would personally prefer to keep the discussion in one thread. That said, if people wish that others break off, or others wish to have their own thread, I have no problem with that either. Just don't want people thinking I'm chasing them away when I'm happy to see other people do their challenge here. :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »
UPDATE

Dredg - El Cielo
Firstly, and I remember this clearly from the last time, but I always find myself wondering, do I listen to this album that I love, or an album I don't like as much (such as the debut) in order to keep good stuff for later. This album I love. It doesn't have the standout pop songs of Catch, but it start to finish such a strong and enjoyable listen.

Anathema - Weather Systems
Oh man... how long can I listen to this again? It's always so hard to rank the last few Anathema albums, because I listen to one and it's my favorite again.

Deadsoul Tribe - Deadsoul Tribe
A wonderful band I don't listen to as much as I should. Although they are in many ways very different, they've been around longer than a band like Leprous that many might associate more with. Dark and brooding, and with fantastic vocals from Devon Graves. This particular album remains my least favorite, but is still quite enjoyable.

Demians - Mercury
When Demians debuted, I remember making them my newcomer of the year. I interviewed Nic prior to the 2nd album Mute, and him talking about how things were done more the way he intended on that. Things continued with this album, and well you can feel the freedom, and hear his passion, frankly I just don't think the quality or writing has been as strong since the debut. Not bad, but I think that sometimes playing inside a framework or with someone else's rules can bring out the best in someone, and the true creativity. And I think Demians might need that.

Animals as Leaders - The Joy of Motion
WANK WANK WANK WANK WANK. Seriously, there are some great passages on this disc, but with a LOT of instrumental music, it is often overdone a lot. Seeing them live was technically satisfying, but I really can't listen to stuff like this all that much. Would probably be different if I was a serious musician.

Enchant - Break
Classic example of getting a weaker album out early. That said, if Doug's writing the music, and Ted's singing, chances are it's still better than a lot of other music, and that's the case here. It lacks as many standout songs as most of the other Enchant albums, but still oozes beauty.

Amorphis - Skyforger
After the big disappointment that was the last album, this was such a refreshing listen. Songwriting was so good, and growls weren't overused, and when used were awesome. Of the modern era, easily one of the best two albums.

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
My only Queen album, and make no mistake about why I got it, it was 100% the DT covers. I will say this, comparing the two is barely fair. Would love to hear how those three tracks would sound if Queen had the same technology available to them as DT did doing the covers. The DT sound on the covers just blows this out of the water, and gives the songs such explosive life. I enjoy this album, but am not on my way to being a Queen fanatic.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
My only Queen album, and make no mistake about why I got it, it was 100% the DT covers. I will say this, comparing the two is barely fair. Would love to hear how those three tracks would sound if Queen had the same technology available to them as DT did doing the covers. The DT sound on the covers just blows this out of the water, and gives the songs such explosive life. I enjoy this album, but am not on my way to being a Queen fanatic.

:facepalm:

DT did a good job with the covers, but they pale in comparison to Queen's originals. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Yeah, I have the same feelings about AAL. I have the first album, and it's pretty good for what it is, but it's not something I really ever have an urge to listen to. Been meaning to pick up Deadsoul Tribe albums for a long time, too.

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:13 PM »
I'm enjoying this challenge quite a bit.  Thanks for the great idea, Nick.  There are many fine albums that I haven't listened to in a LONG time, simply due to the volume of music I've collected over the years.  In other words, I'm an old fart!   :lol

I know some of you suggested new separate threads for 'other' participants in this challenge.  No offense taken.  :hat  I understand what you mean about cluttering up the thread.  So if it's okay with everyone, I'll just list my new updates and forego the commentary on each:

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (1982)
Keith Jarrett - My Song (1978)
Magic Pie - Circus of Life (2007)
Old & in the Way - Old & in the Way (1975)
Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)
The Romantics - In Heat (1983)
XTC - Oranges & Lemons (1989)
311 - 311 (1995)
ZZ Top - Deguello (1979)
- Ronzoni -