Author Topic: Cooking Question...Chef, you out there?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Cooking Question...Chef, you out there?
« on: December 31, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »
So I love to cook with my cast iron frying pan. Makes so many things just awesome. Best way to make a cheeseburger at home!
BUT...
They say just don't wash them, just wipe them clean and keep them lubed. I'm sorry, I just can't do that!
I use it, I wash it thoroughly, then wipe it completely dry and lube it again with oil.
Does anyone really use a cast iron pan and not clean it? Just wipe it out?
I need some feedback from fellow cooks in the house, and our resident chef!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Cooking Question...Chef, you out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
What you WILL find on a prog forum is more people knowledgeable about lube, but not the cast iron pan.   ;)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:13:42 AM »
What you WILL find on a prog forum is more people knowledgeable about lube, but not the cast iron pan.   ;)
I need no advice on that either as I'm here with you on this prog board!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »
 :biggrin:

So just wait for RJ or Coz to see this, or someone else informed enough.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
You absolutely should wash your cast iron pans! Otherwise, oooo gross. Just don't let it soak in water and/or soap solution. A rinse, a quick scrub with a plastic scrubber and dish soap won't hurt the seasoning (if it is seasoned).

Dry it well afterward, put it on the stove and get it hot enough to smoke a bit, rub or brush it with oil and let it cool naturally. You'll find that you don't need to do this every time but you probably should do it once in awhile to keep it seasoned.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
I just went to Lodge's website to see what they say, and this video even skips the heating up stage.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 09:05:28 AM »
The other trick, when water and a brush won't adequately remove the grease (which is sometimes the case after cooking beef or occasionally chicken) is to throw a handful of kosher salt into the pan, and work it around with a paper towel.  It will abrade off the grease w/o damaging the surface or stripping the seasoning.  After that, a quick rinse will be all you need.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:06:05 AM »
I just went to Lodge's website to see what they say, and this video even skips the heating up stage.
Cool! That's exactly how I clean mine!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:07:33 AM »
I know I have seen cooking shows where the host says just wipe it out. I always thought...ummm no way.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
I know I have seen cooking shows where the host says just wipe it out. I always thought...ummm no way.

If all you're ever doing is bacon and eggs, that could probably work.  Otherwise....eww....
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:15:47 AM »

Yeah, it depends what you are cooking in it.  Sometimes, that may be fine.  Water and a scrubber should almost always do the trick.  There is almost never a need for soap, and if you use any at all, it should be a VERY mild soap that you want to use sparingly and rinse out almost immediately.  But if the pan is seasoned properly to begin with and you don't burn whatever you are cooking, you can almost always get it clean with just water and a scrubber, especially if you heat the pan with the water in it to get it nice and hot (and between that and the fact that you are heating it again after you put your oil in it to keep it seasoned, you are killing anything that could potentially grow germs).  But don't take our word for it--Lodge has been making some of the best cast iron for well over 100 years.  Those guys know what they are talking about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:55:12 AM »
If I'm just cooking eggs or something else light with butter or oil, I just leave it until next use after scraping out any solid stuff left over.  If I make something like a burger in it, I will scrape out whatever I can with my steel spatula and continue to scrape under running hot water.  This usually is enough to make it look like new, though it is often dull looking after that so i will rub a tiny bit of oil on the cooking surface.  That's all I've done to my cast iron pans and they are just fine.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »

Yeah, it depends what you are cooking in it.  Sometimes, that may be fine.  Water and a scrubber should almost always do the trick.  There is almost never a need for soap, and if you use any at all, it should be a VERY mild soap that you want to use sparingly and rinse out almost immediately.  But if the pan is seasoned properly to begin with and you don't burn whatever you are cooking, you can almost always get it clean with just water and a scrubber, especially if you heat the pan with the water in it to get it nice and hot (and between that and the fact that you are heating it again after you put your oil in it to keep it seasoned, you are killing anything that could potentially grow germs).  But don't take our word for it--Lodge has been making some of the best cast iron for well over 100 years.  Those guys know what they are talking about.
That's the key for me when it comes to stuff really burned onto it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »
What they all said. Of course you don't just want to "wipe it off and move on", you're courting a nice case of the squirts or something worse there.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 04:58:02 PM »
GAWD, I had an ex who just downright mauled me when I cleaned hers, just about went all Cat Woman crazy circa Batman Returns, screaming that I ruined it and how expensive it was. I just stood in stunned silence and after a minute was all..."Okay so...you literally DON'T clean this thing at all...??" ... She looks at me like one of the Kardashians look at a blue collar worker and said "Um.../Kardashianvoice YEAUH /Kardashianvoice".

I broke up with her the week after. To her credit, she did look about as good as a Kardashian, but she also had the brain of one. *Sigh* Me and my penis...

WHAT WILL WE GET INTO NEXT, BUDDY!?

On that note...ONTO THE OVER EATING THREAD!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 07:48:46 AM »
What they all said. Of course you don't just want to "wipe it off and move on", you're courting a nice case of the squirts or something worse there.

But think about it; what would you get? 

Honestly, I'd be more worried that not wiping it thoroughly would change the taste of things I cooked, not getting sick.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 09:46:42 AM »

But think about it; what would you get? 

I was wondering that very thing.  I mean, you're going to be heating the cast iron enough to kill anything that could potentially be growing in there anyway, so...  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »
I never let soap touch my cast iron stuff. Ever. I'll only use water if it's getting flash boiled away pretty quickly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
I never let soap touch my cast iron stuff. Ever. I'll only use water if it's getting flash boiled away pretty quickly.

There's a joke in there somewhere, I'm sure of it!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »
I wish I was that clever.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »
Honestly, I'd be more worried that not wiping it thoroughly would change the taste of things I cooked, not getting sick.

This.

You heat it up the next time enough to kill anything germy, but your pan cobbler is going to taste like fried trout if you don't clean it thoroughly between the two dishes.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
I use a chain mail scrubber on my cast iron and it works really well. Don't need any soap with that in hand. And then re-season, if it's been a while since I've done that.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
Yeah...it is perfectly fine to use soap. Once cast iron has been seasoned with a drying oil like flax oil, and THEN heated- the oil changes its composition due to polymerization. It becomes like plastic or glass, and is no longer soluble with dish soap- so the soap won't damage or un-season the pan- it only washes out the gunk and cleans it.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."