Author Topic: Gn'R to Reunite (sort of) and Tour  (Read 15080 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Gn'R to Reunite (sort of) and Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
Not even interested sad to say.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
Man, I'm proud of you guys.  Out of all the music forums, I've been in, this particular forum had the longest time it took to make a thread like this which is fine since it seems like a general consensus here regarding GNR is so-so.

Now then, meh.  I don't care much about the reunion despite liking Slash's solo band with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators and really love Duff McKagan as a person and what he's done since he went sober in 1994.  They got some decent songs, but it's not like I'm going to pay $100+ to see them, especially at the risk that they start hours late due to whatever reasons Axl has, and I'm not quite sure if they will deliver a performance that can be worth that much.

On the one hand, with my "moving forward" mentality, I cannot see this working well in terms of everyone feeling satisfied and have a good working relationship. I feel like I've been spoiled by my perception regarding how Rush and Iron Maiden did on their current runs after they reformed with a definitive line-up where they were not only doing great tours with a new generation watching them, but they were releasing some killer new material in the process.

I can't see GNR do their reunion as well as Rush and Iron Maiden, imo. Sure, they can pretty sell-out any venue in the world that they want, but where do they go from there after a couple of months? Do they just go their own ways and go back to where they were before (Slash working with Myles and Conspirators and Duff working with his various projects, and Axl doing nothing?) To me, I feel like that's a little short-changing the fans there, imo.

On the other hand, with my "I'm on the side that gets Alter Bridge busy," mentality, screw the 1st mentality, Slash can go ahead and go to GNR if he wants, as oppose to the more stability lifestyle he's got working with Myles and the Conspirators, (and in the process monopolizing Myles' time, but that's a different topic for another day), if it gets Alter Bridge running on all wheels again without having Slash to get in the way of that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:37:35 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »

I actually feel the same way. I have to admit, I was never a huge fan. Growing up when I did, and the type of music I was in to growing up, I always equated these guys as having a garage band sound. I get I run the risk of pissing a ton of people off with that statement, so let me clarify by saying, I do think they had talent, and their time was right, but I never got into them that much.
Now decades have passed, and you have to wonder, why? and who cares? But it does make you wonder if the egos can actually be put aside.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »
Oh there are some great tunes but I never got into full albums byou them.  Now, I just have no interest in them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »
I'd be interested in an album, but not this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
The real question is, what percentage of middle-aged peeps at these concerts, hoping to revisit 1988, will be passed out drunk by the time Axl Rose actually shows up on stage?

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
Im sure slash and Duff will be good. The issue is Axl who on the best of nights sounds alright at most and like a dying animal at others.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 08:56:55 PM »
The key words are "sort of".

Sadly, its not even the whole band and on top of that Axl is no where near what he used to be. I've watched his recent live performances online. No way am I forking over major bucks for that.

A reunion may have been sweet 10 years ago, but its too little too late. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
The real question is, what percentage of middle-aged peeps at these concerts, hoping to revisit 1988, will be passed out drunk by the time Axl Rose actually shows up on stage?

We have a winner, folks.

As to the OT... :yawn:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
Everywhere I've read says "Axl and Slash" implying the other members won't be present. Is Duff, at least, participating? Poor wording if that's the case.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »
The way I've been seeing it.  The line-up will be Axl, Slash, Duff, the guitarist from the current line-up Richard Fortus, Dizzy Reed, and their current drummer.  Hence, the sort-of part.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
Even though it's only "sort of", I'm so there. This is what rock is all about! Not knowing if the show is going to start, let alone get to the end. :lol :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 12:51:43 AM »
I loved Appetite and still do and the UYI discs had really great material (and some fillers). I saw then on the Use Your Illusion tour and they were great, they started nearly on time, Axl was in really good form, the whole band rocked.

Maybe if they put out some new music I would give it a listen, but I don't think they are able to come anywhere near the above mentioned level nowadays, especially Axl, so I'm not interested.

And then there's this:

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 01:03:44 AM »
I'm not sure which I prefer

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 01:48:07 AM »
Love jamming some old school GNR every once in a blue moon and they got me into the rock scene to begin with but I could not possibly care less about this. Kind of sad to say that but I'm also more than indifferent so that sadness has kind of already gone away. I am however interested in seeing how this turns out if it does at all.

I would laugh and kind of love (and expect still) for a massive outcry of fans after the concert to have pages of social media posts consisting of different versions saying "WE WAITING FOR HOURS AND HE NEVER SHOWED".

... :lol
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:16:32 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »
I'll take the Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & Conspirators project over GNR thank you very much.

:corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 02:44:44 AM »
Without Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Dizzy Reed, Matt Sorum and/or Steven Adler i'm not the slightest interested.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 03:13:59 AM »
Lets see how long this lasts.

Offline Captain Reddot

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 03:56:29 AM »
I was waiting to see how long it'd be before this thread appeared. It's really impressive how DTF keeps up with all this other stuff, a lot of other band forums can't say the same thing.

I for one, am really excited about this, albeit more so for my 14 year old self than anything else. I was part of the generation that picked up guitar because of Slash, but sadly was too late to the game to ever see the original line-up, so this is honestly one of the most exciting announcements in recent times for me, and perhaps the biggest reunion in rock since Maiden. That said, I'm still more excited for that new Haken album than anything else, though that says more about my love of Haken than anything else - I digress  :lol
“I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.”
― Frank Zappa

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 05:16:51 AM »
I loved Appetite and still do and the UYI discs had really great material (and some fillers). I saw then on the Use Your Illusion tour and they were great, they started nearly on time, Axl was in really good form, the whole band rocked.

Maybe if they put out some new music I would give it a listen, but I don't think they are able to come anywhere near the above mentioned level nowadays, especially Axl, so I'm not interested.

Nailed it.

Lets see how long this lasts.

^This.

I'd shell out maybe $40... depending on the opening act, and size of the venue.  I'm sure as shit not going to (or shelling out the price for) a stadium show, hell, don't think I'd even go to a concert hall.  Pub scene might interest me, if they had an opening act that I was interested in.  Otherwise...

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 06:43:33 AM »
Without Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Dizzy Reed, Matt Sorum and/or Steven Adler i'm not the slightest interested.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. I'm sure the vast majority of people would consider it a reunion just because Axl and Slash are going to play together, but a true reunion of AFD or UYI members would be pretty cool.

Still neat to see though, I've always been a GnR fan mainly because I have always been a Slash fan. If they can hold their stuff together this could be a huge, HUGE cash grab for them. I'm guessing its nothing more than that.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 06:55:43 AM »
Just read that Skid Row and new singer Tony Harnell have split after less than a year. I'm wondering if this reunion may be fueling Skid Row and Sebastian Bach getting back together.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 07:01:48 AM »
Good luck to them.  I still love Appetite For Destruction, and G N' R Lies is a cool little EP.  And the Use Your Illusion albums have about one album's worth of good songs between them.  So although I am not all that excited to see them now, I wish them well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »
BTW, Duff is part of it  not Izzy, Matt or Steven.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 08:20:12 AM »

I'd shell out maybe $40... depending on the opening act, and size of the venue.

Hahaha, then you're not going.  :)   I'm hearing the tix are going to be in the $250-$300 range.  For a stadium show that isn't "The Wall" by Roger Waters, that isn't worth it to me.

I'm a bigger fan of the Myles/Slash stuff, but I've seen both the Use Your Illusion G/n/R and the "new" one, and honestly, it may be the drugs (in the band!!) but the "new" one was way better.  Axl sang for almost three hours straight, sounded excellent, they played something like 35 songs, and when I left they were still playing (after 3 hours and 15 minutes). 

Personally, I think the whole "we need the ORIGINALS!" and "we need NEW MUSIC!" things are way overrated; I can't imagine Stephen Adler can pull off a three hour stadium show at this point, though I wonder why Matt Sorum isn't involved.   I'm starting to think something happened with the Velvet Revolver gig that soured Slash on the rest of the GnR guys.    And I'd rather hear Coma and Estranged than anything new at this point. 

Now the question everyone - well, at least I am - will be asking:  do they do any Chinese Democracy or any of Slash's solo stuff?  Or is it all from the three main albums? 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »

Hahaha, then you're not going.  :)   I'm hearing the tix are going to be in the $250-$300 range.  For a stadium show that isn't "The Wall" by Roger Waters, that isn't worth it to me.

I'm a bigger fan of the Myles/Slash stuff, but I've seen both the Use Your Illusion G/n/R and the "new" one, and honestly, it may be the drugs (in the band!!) but the "new" one was way better.  Axl sang for almost three hours straight, sounded excellent, they played something like 35 songs, and when I left they were still playing (after 3 hours and 15 minutes). 

Personally, I think the whole "we need the ORIGINALS!" and "we need NEW MUSIC!" things are way overrated; I can't imagine Stephen Adler can pull off a three hour stadium show at this point, though I wonder why Matt Sorum isn't involved.   I'm starting to think something happened with the Velvet Revolver gig that soured Slash on the rest of the GnR guys.    And I'd rather hear Coma and Estranged than anything new at this point. 

Now the question everyone - well, at least I am - will be asking:  do they do any Chinese Democracy or any of Slash's solo stuff?  Or is it all from the three main albums?

I think for me, the reason this might be appealing is because I have never had the opportunity to see Axl, Slash, etc play together. The last time they did I was a kid. I had opportunities to see the "new" GnR with Axl and a bunch of random dudes, but that honestly didn't appeal to me, regardless of how many hours their set was.

But, do I understand your post correctly? - You prefer Axl and a group of hire hands to the original and/or UYI era line-up of the band? If so, you might be the only person I have ever heard say that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »

I think for me, the reason this might be appealing is because I have never had the opportunity to see Axl, Slash, etc play together. The last time they did I was a kid. I had opportunities to see the "new" GnR with Axl and a bunch of random dudes, but that honestly didn't appeal to me, regardless of how many hours their set was.

But, do I understand your post correctly? - You prefer Axl and a group of hire hands to the original and/or UYI era line-up of the band? If so, you might be the only person I have ever heard say that.

Well, whether you realize it or not, you answered your own question.  I don't look at it as "Axl and a bunch of hired hands".  That's a defeatist way of looking at it.  If that's the case, then Slash and Myles is "Slash and a bunch of hired hands", and it's not.    Bumblefoot is an amazing guitarist by any standard (though he kept leaving the stage when I saw them; I wondered at the time if he was sick), and listen, to hear Axl sing Estranged, and Rocket Queen, and Civil War (that song SMOKED!)... well, it just was better, in my opinion.  Axl brought the "personality" and the band just had to be very good (as opposed to just "good" or "great") to make it work, and they were.  I saw the UYI tour, and while they were then, to this day (and over 400 concerts) the most "dangerous" band I've ever seen (it was weird; there was an energy in the place like I've never experienced before) they were, how do you say, ramshackle at best?   Slash was clearly in his cups (I've seen him since and he was sober and at the top of his individual game) and Duff, I think, thought he was playing with the Ramones, so...

The only part of the show I didn't care for, and which goes to your point, is DJ Ashba was dressed shirtless with black leather pants and a hat that wasn't exactly a tophat, but when in silhouette cut the same profile.  So when he stepped up to play the intro to Sweet Child o'Mine, it was a little Tommy Thayer/Richie Faulkner-esque for me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »

Well, whether you realize it or not, you answered your own question. I don't look at it as "Axl and a bunch of hired hands".  That's a defeatist way of looking at it.  If that's the case, then Slash and Myles is "Slash and a bunch of hired hands", and it's not.    Bumblefoot is an amazing guitarist by any standard (though he kept leaving the stage when I saw them; I wondered at the time if he was sick), and listen, to hear Axl sing Estranged, and Rocket Queen, and Civil War (that song SMOKED!)... well, it just was better, in my opinion.  Axl brought the "personality" and the band just had to be very good (as opposed to just "good" or "great") to make it work, and they were.  I saw the UYI tour, and while they were then, to this day (and over 400 concerts) the most "dangerous" band I've ever seen (it was weird; there was an energy in the place like I've never experienced before) they were, how do you say, ramshackle at best?   Slash was clearly in his cups (I've seen him since and he was sober and at the top of his individual game) and Duff, I think, thought he was playing with the Ramones, so...

Honestly, I've always looked at it this way because it seemed like that's how Axl viewed things. Maybe I'm wrong, but it always seemed to me like Axl hired those guys and fired those guys as he pleased. That doesn't make them better or worse players or musicians.

Slash's situation is different in that regard. Slash found chemistry with several musicians and decided to form a band with them. Axl retained legal right to a name he knew he could make more money using (rather than creating a different band name or as a solo artist) so he hired musicians to fill voided roles and continued on. Sure, Slash uses his name for the Conspirators, but that's because that group started playing together to support his solo album. Slash has recently said in interviews he plans to transition the name in the future to be just "The Conspirators" instead of "Slash: Featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »

Well, whether you realize it or not, you answered your own question. I don't look at it as "Axl and a bunch of hired hands".  That's a defeatist way of looking at it.  If that's the case, then Slash and Myles is "Slash and a bunch of hired hands", and it's not.    Bumblefoot is an amazing guitarist by any standard (though he kept leaving the stage when I saw them; I wondered at the time if he was sick), and listen, to hear Axl sing Estranged, and Rocket Queen, and Civil War (that song SMOKED!)... well, it just was better, in my opinion.  Axl brought the "personality" and the band just had to be very good (as opposed to just "good" or "great") to make it work, and they were.  I saw the UYI tour, and while they were then, to this day (and over 400 concerts) the most "dangerous" band I've ever seen (it was weird; there was an energy in the place like I've never experienced before) they were, how do you say, ramshackle at best?   Slash was clearly in his cups (I've seen him since and he was sober and at the top of his individual game) and Duff, I think, thought he was playing with the Ramones, so...

Honestly, I've always looked at it this way because it seemed like that's how Axl viewed things. Maybe I'm wrong, but it always seemed to me like Axl hired those guys and fired those guys as he pleased. That doesn't make them better or worse players or musicians.

I agree.  I'm not sure what other way there even is to look at it, honestly.

SMOKED

Suddenly, I'm sensing a much more common-sense explanation for Stadler's heretofore seemingly inexplicable views on his recent GNR experience.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
   I don't look at it as "Axl and a bunch of hired hands".  That's a defeatist way of looking at it.   

Well I do and I don't think it's defeatist at all. I'm sure you saw an awesome show by Axel And His Bunch Of Dudes band. Sure they may be great musicians, and focused enough to put on a great show. But are they Guns n Roses? No f'n way.
I'd have way more interest if it were the Axl Rose band.

I was into GnR way back in the day, seeing a club show before they broke and seeing the UYI tour 4 times over 3 legs. That band was interesting. And I thought they rocked pretty good. It was a hell of a rock n roll show for sure.

But I cannot say how uninterested I am in this reunion of sorts. Great so Slash and Axl are going to play together for a big payday, and will include Duff to make it seem like a reunion.

I will say that I have read Duff's first book, and I cannot recommend it enough. It is really fantastic. I actually always found him the most interesting anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 10:04:33 AM »

I think the $250-$300 are the close seats. I imagine the lawn type tickets would be around $60. And I too am digging the Myles/Slash stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »
I have zero interest in this. I feel like Axl spent years dragging the band through the mud, and now he's looking to make a quick buck. He doesn't deserve a penny of my money. I can't respect that primadonna rock star attitude like he's better than everyone else. His voice is shit now, so where's the hook? I've seen them live and they were good, but that was over twenty years ago. Metallica blew them off the stage, though. Never mind the fact that I had aged a lifetime before Axl even took the stage. I'd rather see a Spice Girls reunion.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »
I'd rather see a Spice Girls reunion.

Funny you should say that.  I saw this link from the GNR forum since one of their members titled it "The reunion announcement has finally come!!", this was before all of the GNR stuff has becoming apparent.

https://www.today.com/popculture/mel-b-says-spice-girls-will-reunite-20th-anniversary-2016-t64041

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
I'd rather see a Spice Girls reunion.

Funny you should say that.  I saw this link from the GNR forum since one of their members titled it "The reunion announcement has finally come!!", this was before all of the GNR stuff has becoming apparent.

https://www.today.com/popculture/mel-b-says-spice-girls-will-reunite-20th-anniversary-2016-t64041

See, now that's worth it.