Author Topic: I'm Cutting The Cord  (Read 19504 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: I'm Cutting The Cord
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
I have PSVue and love it. Didn't pay for the extra sports channels though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2017, 11:41:22 AM »

I'm getting ready to switch to the PSVue. I've had a buddy who's had it for over 6 months now and he loves it. The mid tier package also offers the Fox Sports Midwest package that'd have the hockey/baseball I'd want to see.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »
Glad to see such positive reviews on PSVue.  I'm going to call Verizon and get a quote on an internet only price and see if they offer a better deal when I say I am cutting the cord.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
I have PS Vue and am pleased.  It's the closest thing that I've seen to having cable.  Some cord cutters go to extreme lengths to obtain access to channels, but for $45 a month (their cheapest plan is $40),

I think the pricing can vary from region to region. I only pay $30 per month for mine (basic package).

Very happy with it, don't miss cable at all. Like you outlined (very well) the channel section is pretty good, quality is good, On Demand and DVR options are great.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
So here's something I've been curious about for a while. How much does cord-cutting actually save people if they're still paying for streaming services? I steal everything, so I don't know how many different services there are and what they cost. I'm assuming you need several to cover the customary bases. Not counting the cost of the internet itself, what are people paying for their particular bundles?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
So here's something I've been curious about for a while. How much does cord-cutting actually save people if they're still paying for streaming services? I steal everything, so I don't know how many different services there are and what they cost. I'm assuming you need several to cover the customary bases. Not counting the cost of the internet itself, what are people paying for their particular bundles?

I pay $32 or $34 a month between Netflix, Hulu Plus, and HBO.

I also get Amazon's library of stuff through Prime, which I'll watch sometimes. I don't count that though because even if I couldn't stream content through Amazon, I'd still pay the annual $100 for that simply for the shipping perks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2017, 02:47:37 PM »
PlayStation vue seems a one stop shop for streaming so if I go that route I shouldn't need to purchase more except Netflix if I wanted it, which I don't have now. I also have Amazon prime and never used the streaming service. I'm still attached to my old cable tv for general watching. Something I am getting closer to detaching from.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2017, 02:58:17 PM »

I also get Amazon's library of stuff through Prime, which I'll watch sometimes. I don't count that though because even if I couldn't stream content through Amazon, I'd still pay the annual $100 for that simply for the shipping perks.
Do those 3 (or 4) cover everything? If I decided I wanted to watch some obscure movie from 1958 would I find it? Ever find things that aren't available anywhere? What do you do about sports?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
I think it's all situational. For me, it saved me a ton. For my cable and internet package from Comcast my bill just kept going up, when I cancelled, I was paying $160 per month for my triple play bundle thing.

Now I pay Comcast $70 a month for 200mbps down internet. We have PSVue which is $40 a month. Used to have Netflix, considering getting it again.

So right now, we are saving about $50 a month, still can watch most of the stuff we would ever want to.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2017, 09:03:57 AM »

Do those 3 (or 4) cover everything? If I decided I wanted to watch some obscure movie from 1958 would I find it? Ever find things that aren't available anywhere? What do you do about sports?

No where close. Don't get me wrong, I have access to a crapload of content, but there's so much not available (not that it was when I had cable either). There's plenty of obscure stuff, but if you're looking for a random Bollywood movie from 2003, odds are you're not going to find it.

As for sports, I care as much about sports as I do for what Justin Beiber had for breakfast. If I did want to watch sports, my current arrangement would not be ideal.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
Original Comcast TV/Internet bill:  $186
Current Cost:  Comcast Internet:  $45, Playstation Vue:  $45

Total Current Cost:  $90.  I'm saving $90 per month and cut my bill in half.  I get free HBO from Comcast as part of my internet package (along with free streaming of live local affiliates & PBS, with a cloud DVR) as well. 

Roku has a ton of random apps that show old horror movies, westerns, etc.  There's a lot out there for free, but if you want to watch the current season of something that airs on a cable channel, you generally need to subscribe to some sort of streaming service.

To save money, you really have to pick and choose what works best for you, rather than subscribing to so many streaming services in order to replicate what you had with cable.  I have a fraction of the channels that I had with cable, but I'm also saving 50% of what I used to spend on it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2018, 07:49:01 AM »
Just switched from Hulu TV to YouTube TV. YouTube TV is cheaper than Hulu and has a significantly better UI. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
Just switched from Hulu TV to YouTube TV. YouTube TV is cheaper than Hulu and has a significantly better UI. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Hulu is already pretty cheap. We pay $12 a month and that's for the premium one. What's Youtube TV cost?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
I was paying $58 a month for the live TV version of Hulu. That was with the expanded DVR storage and the ability to fast forward your recordings. Youtube TV is $42 a month with unlimited cloud storage and it also has AMC.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2018, 09:35:59 AM »
Gotcha. I wasn't aware Hulu offered such a service.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2018, 06:14:26 AM »
I didn't even realize that existed. I'm moving into my own place finally, and I'm going without cable. If in the future I want it, I'll definitely look into YouTube tv.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »

I'm getting ready to switch to the PSVue. I've had a buddy who's had it for over 6 months now and he loves it. The mid tier package also offers the Fox Sports Midwest package that'd have the hockey/baseball I'd want to see.

I did opt into using Playstation Vue.....LOVE it.....love the interface and service and the cost is very reasonable. Was sent an email yesterday by Sony saying they are pulling the plug on PSVUE on January 30th, 2020  >:( :censored

I have read some articles where they admit they screwed up with branding. Calling it Playstation VUE mislead people into believing you need a Playstation to 'view' it....which is incorrect. It's just a normal streaming service. And, most searches on streaming services show that this one is one of the best when it comes to service and cost. They just dropped the ball when naming it. Should have called it Sony VUE or just VUE....who knows.

I'm wondering if they are pulling the plug on this and then rebranding or introducing a 'new' service? Anyway, it's a bummer because I really like PSVUE and now I have a couple months to decide which streaming service I have to switch to. If not for wanting the Fox Sports channel to watch the Blues and Cardinals....I wouldn't even get one. I'd just rely on the other services I have.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2019, 08:26:51 AM »

I did opt into using Playstation Vue.....LOVE it.....love the interface and service and the cost is very reasonable. Was sent an email yesterday by Sony saying they are pulling the plug on PSVUE on January 30th, 2020  >:( :censored

I have read some articles where they admit they screwed up with branding. Calling it Playstation VUE mislead people into believing you need a Playstation to 'view' it....

That's been my assumption this whole time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2019, 08:35:03 AM »
I definitely thought that at first but looked into it more when I heard people liked it.  I think my brother was the one who wanted to get that and cut the cord when he lived with me and my first reaction was "uhh we only have a PS2 in the house"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2019, 09:02:04 AM »

I have read some articles where they admit they screwed up with branding. Calling it Playstation VUE mislead people into believing you need a Playstation to 'view' it....

I find it hard to believe that in a company as large as SONY not one person spoke up and said something about how they named that platform? It seems pretty obvious the name 'Playstation VUE' infers that you need a PS to use the service? Seems like a massive oversight. Especially since the service performs so well.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2019, 09:12:28 AM »

I find it hard to believe that in a company as large as SONY not one person spoke up and said something about how they named that platform? It seems pretty obvious the name 'Playstation VUE' infers that you need a PS to use the service? Seems like a massive oversight. Especially since the service performs so well.

Wouldn't surprise me if the conversation went "If we call it PlaystationVue, those viewing it on a non-playstation device will be reminded such a thing exists every time they use the service". They probably saw it as a marketing tool.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »

Wouldn't surprise me if the conversation went "If we call it PlaystationVue, those viewing it on a non-playstation device will be reminded such a thing exists every time they use the service". They probably saw it as a marketing tool.

Massive failure on their part. Like I said, I've had HULU....SLING.....cable....several different services and VUE has been my favorite. I'm genuinely bummed out.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
I am lost when it comes to anything outside of cable tv, but let me see if I understand this correctly.

I do not have any smart TVs in my house. If I get a Roku I can plug it into my tv and still stream YouTube TV, correct?

I would have get one for each tv however, correct?

There is no monthly fee for having the Roku, only fees for any streaming service I elect to purchase, correct?

Basically what I’m saying is....

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2019, 08:16:41 AM »
I am lost when it comes to anything outside of cable tv, but let me see if I understand this correctly.

I do not have any smart TVs in my house. If I get a Roku I can plug it into my tv and still stream YouTube TV, correct?

I would have get one for each tv however, correct?

There is no monthly fee for having the Roku, only fees for any streaming service I elect to purchase, correct?

Basically what I’m saying is....

All you said is correct.

Plug Roku into HDMI port

You can stream Youtube, YoutubeTV, HBONow, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS etc. as long as you have your paid subscription and login information.

Online Grappler

« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »
I'll add that many of the services are cheaper because they are pared-down versions of a cable bundle.  Some may have certain channels, some may not.  It takes a decent amount of research to find the streaming service that works for you. 

www.suppose.tv is a good resource.  You have to sit down and check off the channels that you want to have and it will provide you with the bundles that you need to get them. 

If you can live without certain channels (I convinced my wife to go without A&E to save money) then it makes it easier.  We've discovered more content on Netflix or Hulu that we enjoy, rather than have her watch hours upon hours of A&E's shows like she used to do.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
How does one determine which Roku package they need?

I feel like the base model would be enough for us. It’s just me, the wife and a preteen.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Grappler

« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2019, 08:58:44 AM »

I feel like the base model would be enough for us. It’s just me, the wife and a preteen.

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

That will let you compare models.  The last time I reviewed them, Roku had the same processor in all models.  Some stream in 4K, some have advanced audio options (5.1 sound), some have wired internet capability, some have better wi-fi reception, some have better remotes (power/volume buttons for the TV) and some do not. 

I've been happy with the streaming stick / streaming stick +.  The sticks are good if you have wall-mounted TV's and do not want a box-type device that needs a shelf to sit on.

Online Grappler

« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2019, 09:13:05 AM »

To jump in on this conversation about PlayStation Vue's name, it was originally created as a TV service for gamers that had Playstations, but no cable tv (i.e., millennials.)  Sony created a TV platform that they could watch through their Playstation console as a way to hook gamers into subscribing to a cheap, internet-based TV service for $30-50 per month.

The service then expanded to other streaming devices, yet it was never rebranded.  I would never have known about it if I didn't have a tech-savvy family member that mentioned it to me a few years ago and my old PS2 is boxed up in the basement and I lost interest in video games.  I never tried another service because I was happy with the channels that it provided.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

That will let you compare models.  The last time I reviewed them, Roku had the same processor in all models.  Some stream in 4K, some have advanced audio options (5.1 sound), some have wired internet capability, some have better wi-fi reception, some have better remotes (power/volume buttons for the TV) and some do not. 

I've been happy with the streaming stick / streaming stick +.  The sticks are good if you have wall-mounted TV's and do not want a box-type device that needs a shelf to sit on.

I recently bought the ROKU Ultra 4K to use on our 'main' TV. I bought that one because it offers the ethernet port to hard wire connect to my internet. I have been extremely happy with spending the $70 for it. You can buy it for $60 as well but the $70 option comes with a set of JBL earbuds that can connect right to your remote. Anyway.....the image quality on my TV immediately was improved.

I had an old Amazon TV dongle with an adapter to allow me to 'hard wire' connect that as well. The image was great with that.....BUT....there was a noticeable improvement in the image quality when I switched to the ROKU.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2019, 10:06:36 AM »
www.suppose.tv is a good resource.  You have to sit down and check off the channels that you want to have and it will provide you with the bundles that you need to get them. 

I posted this in a thread over in the TV/Movie sub forum as I've been on the hunt for a replacement for my PlaystationVUE:

I’m pretty much sold on FUBO TV after only a couple days. Where HULU  and YouTube TV each have a couple networks they don’t carry, FUBO has them all. AMC, Discovery, History, Paramount, SyFy....it’s really a ‘cable’ TV lineup.

It comes with 30 hours of cloud DVR but I bumped it up to 500 for and extra $3 a month and did another $3 a month for (3) screen streaming. So, after my week trial my bill will be $59 a month.

For you sports fanatics I’d look into it because there are a ton of sports channels.

I will add that Fubo does not include ABC or the ESPN channels though.

Offline emtee

« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2019, 10:24:45 AM »
Did it 4 months ago. Mohu leaf amplified antenna
I get 66 over the air stations. Firestick one time purchase.
PBS  app, several free tv apps. I pay zero.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
I got rid of cable 6 months ago and have been watching a lot of shows on Hulu (Free with my phone service) and Netflix (my partner pays for it). Plus, I recently got a free Apple TV, which lets me catch some shows through Pluto TV (Free) and the news through CBS and ABC (Both Free).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »
Just putting it out there 'cause it's an underappreciated thread: starting to post about my 20 most favorite movies ever in the film & tv section :2metal:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35256.msg2606728#new
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2020, 12:09:26 PM »
YouTube TV will no longer have the Regional FOX Sports Networks starting 2/29. So. As far as ‘streaming’ services.....that leaves HULU and ATT NOW as the only options if you want/need your Regional Fox Sports channel.

I know I do. Blues hockey and Cardinal Baseball. Just a bummer because HULU doesn’t carry AMC.

Online Grappler

« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »
Only if they don't reach a deal by tomorrow.  Should they reach a deal later on, the channels would be re-added.  I went through this so many times with Playstation Vue.  Vue took a hard-line at times (dropping New England Sports Net) in the east coast regions, yet they'd renew contracts with other networks by the deadline.

If it goes, it goes.  It'll suck, and I think I'd miss some college basketball games, but I'll live - with young kids, I don't get to sit down and watch sports all too often.  I'm not switching to Hulu live.  AMC is a dealbreaker for me, even though I'm tiring of Walking Dead.