Author Topic: Black Mirror Discussionings - Dat Mirror So Black Doe; How It Get So Black?  (Read 20206 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
That episode, in my eyes, as well as a bunch of other fans, is by far and away the worst one of the series. So watch more for sure. It only gets better (or worse? Betterly worse. Yes.)

The National Anthem and The Waldo Moment are the only two episodes I'd say are not very good. The rest are all worthwhile.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
That episode, in my eyes, as well as a bunch of other fans, is by far and away the worst one of the series. So watch more for sure. It only gets better (or worse? Betterly worse. Yes.)

The National Anthem and The Waldo Moment are the only two episodes I'd say are not very good. The rest are all worthwhile.

As the most UKcentic episodes I probably got more out of the National Anthem than most here - I really like it, same with Waldo - not a classic by any means, but I'd take it over half the episodes of the recent series.   
Arkangel is by far the weakest episode for me, actually thought that was total crap.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
While none of the episodes in Season 4 were horrible IMO it was by far the weakest season. I read a BS statement in an article a while back where basically they tried to play it off as they intentionally toned down the shock and awe aspect of the show because there was so much 'bad news' going around they didn't want to contribute anymore consternation to the political and social climate. What a load a crap  :lol  Just admit you took a step back and try to correct it next season.

For me, the third season is far and away the best season as every single episode is awesome. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Gonna agree that S3 is the best overall. Very consistently great, and San Junipero is possibly my favourite BM episode. I still thought S4 was consistently great, but overall it didn't feel like it had as much to say, and didn't make me think as much. Still loved it from start to finish though.
It's not really fair to compare seasons unless we lump 1&2 together imo, because they were so short (dumb UK seasons). If rated that way, I'd say that would be the weakest season for having the only two dud episodes, but the other episodes are as good as anything.

Kinda splitting hairs though. I love the whole show, and I'll take an average BM episode over the best of just about any other show.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Season 1- the only episode I liked was The entire history of you. The american idol episode dragged IMO and the pig episode did nothing for me. Felt almost like a totally different show.

Season 2-  The waldo episode I found annoying more than anything. White bear was just ok for me. Be right back was pretty good, pretty fucked up to keep the dude in the attic. Just kill em or return him or do something. Don't just leave him in the attic forever, especially since you supposedly loved him. Good from a tragic story perspective though.

Season 3- Here's the first season I totally loved

Season 4- I've seen people not to into this season, but I think its my favorite. Behind white christmas, Arkangel and the star trek episode are my favorite episodes of the series. Just so damn good. Hang the dj was pretty good, but I LOVE Metal head. And crocodile is nice and twisted the way I like it. Black meuseam was pretty good as well. 

I really love this show though

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
I'm the opposite.  I prefer the dark and gritty (and yeah OK cheaper) look of the first two series.  I enjoy the Netflix version as well, but it's far more glossy - aside from 'Shut Up and Dance' which feels more like a return to tone to the first two series.

Perhaps the reason I love 'The Nation Anthem' is the reaction it got in the UK after it aired - that was THE talking point for the next week in the or so.  The premise of the episode is just brilliant, the first 10 minutes sets it up - then the next 30 minutes your waiting for the last minute get over clause to happen...........but that doesn't happen - Welcome to Black Mirror.   The final reveal of it being a performance artist is just the cherry on the top.

Anyone here seen 'Dead Set'?  It was Brookers pre Black Mirror thing - very Black Mirror in style. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:20:12 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Black Mirror Discussionings - Dat Mirror So Black Doe; How It Get So Black?
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2018, 06:50:06 AM »
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xWpBYlNM

Comes out tomorrow apparently

Online faizoff

« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2018, 09:36:39 AM »
I'm very excited and curious about how it's going to play out. It's apparently a movie where you, yes YOU THE VIEWER, make choices and the movie takes a turn according to those choices.
They have shot some 5 extra hours of footage so the story goes along differently based on choices. Man can't wait to take the plunge, hopefully, I'm able to watch it tomorrow.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2018, 09:47:08 AM »
I read about that earlier, really curious to see how it works if true.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
Just watched Bandersnatch and it was wild and surreal.

My head is spinning and once again I must give respect to black mirror for pushing things in different directions. Boy does this thing go ALL over the place, lol. But I think that's the point. The choose your own adventure gimmick was interesting, but I can see how people are not gonna like it.

Regardless, I recommend checking it out.

Online faizoff

« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »
I plan on watching it tonight, can't wait to try it out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
I think I spent 2 1/2 hours with it. Very cool, though at times I wanted to interact more with certain characters. I enjoyed it. Saw some great choices, fun thing to try and might try it again a few days from now.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2018, 04:20:14 PM »
I started it last night with my lady and we had fun for the first few choices and had to call it early thanks to work. I'm suuuuuper excited! Such an awesome concept that basically amounts to a mini Black Mirror interactive-movie demo. I'm sure to do a multi-episode thing of this would take YEARS but it'd be so incredibly epic. It'd put to shame things like the TellTale games, I think (even though there's a few actual games out there that already do that).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's like playing a video game. There's one sequence where I had to type in a phone number using flashbacks from previous parts of the movie. It was really cool.

Also, an Easter egg that happened after I finished it and went back and redid some choices. It involves Netflix and I was laughing my ass off
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2018, 11:30:09 PM »
I’m 3 hours in to this just having a blast! Such a cool idea. I know it’s not ‘original’ as far as choose your own adventure but it’s new for a show to do this. Every time I think I’ve exhausted possibilities I’m seeing new scenes.

Online faizoff

« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2018, 08:02:26 AM »
I too can't wait to go back and try other combinations, I made a note of all the previous choices. Will try to get to other endings as well. There are reportedly 5 endings and I think I have seen 3 of them.

Plus someone already made a chart of all choices so far. I'll take a look at it later after I've exhausted all my choices.
So much fun!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2018, 05:00:28 PM »
Is there a happy ending? I know this is Black Mirror and all, but still, just had to ask

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »
Is there a happy ending? I know this is Black Mirror and all, but still, just had to ask

EDIT:
Well, actually, yeah, kind of. I can't remember how I got to it, but I was laughing
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2018, 06:10:45 PM »
I too find this concept quite interesting as I go through previous choices and find the different paths and seeing the Easter eggs, but I just don’t care about the characters of this story enough to be ‘obsessed’ by the whole thing. Looking forward to the future of this type of interaction.             

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »
Judging from what I've read online about the possible endings and scenes.....I believe I've seen every incarnation/combination of scenes and possible endings.

although....there is the implication there is more to be discovered. I've tried a few times at altering/changing the choices and have found that I'm now just seeing the scenes I've already seen. So, maybe there's a combination out there I've yet to explore that triggers something new and fresh....but at this time I'm a solid 6 plus hours into navigating the show and feel I've experienced it all.

Really cool concept and had fun with it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Looks really interesting. I'm a tad bummed it's only three episodes though.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Apparently it's because Bandersnatch was meant to be part of this season (and sort of is) but they separated them out, largely because as an interactive movie it couldn't play on all devices, and they didn't want to cause confusion among viewers so thought it was best to make it a separate entity. Which does make sense.

But anyway, the first two seasons were 3 episodes each so it's just a return to that.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Apparently it's because Bandersnatch was meant to be part of this season (and sort of is) but they separated them out, largely because as an interactive movie it couldn't play on all devices, and they didn't want to cause confusion among viewers so thought it was best to make it a separate entity. Which does make sense.

But anyway, the first two seasons were 3 episodes each so it's just a return to that.

Yeah. I figured Bandersnatch had something to do with it....and like you said....they've had three episode seasons before. I was just really hoping for another six episode season due to how cool the show is  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
I was gonna say, anyone that's been around pre-Netflix buyout is used to this, but I'll conceded to letting them spoil me. But it is what it is and as others have said elsewhere, it doesn't matter if these 3 episodes are the best thing Black Mirror has done so far. As usual, zero expectations because I love that we really don't know what to expect except (huh?) for the unexpected. :huh: :loser: :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

So, anyone watched the new season already? What did you think of it?

I actually liked "Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too" a bit. It's the show not taking itself too seriously, is it? For some reason, I laughed after seeing the police car with the word "police" written on it. :) (Plus, I had been hoping for an episode centered around music/the music industry.)

I also enjoyed Topher Grace's role in "Smithereens". His character comes across as both an asshole and a good guy.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Completely forgot it was available.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Episode 1 Striking Vipers, the VR video game one. Pretty cool. Probably my favorite episode of the season and I could definitely see that kind of technology existing within our lifetime.

Episode 2 - The social media one - Scary that the social media people are informing the cops on information that they have that the cops don't. The guy with the gun played Moriarty on Sherlock and always does a good job.  Topher Grace was fantastic as the social media CEO. PERFECT casting. Ok episode.

Episode 3- Miley cyrus episode. It was fine. Cool to have a NIN song in the show, even though they overplayed the fuck out of it. and now that we have the DIO hologram being milked world wide, the hologram performer was even more relevant. Another just ok episode. Might have liked it better if Miley acted more like a more sympathetic character instead of just playing her insufferable self  :P

And that's how I feel about the season as a whole, just ok. The razor sharp edge that this show brought to the table is not present this time around. Nothing was all that haunting, or thought provoking. Oh well, I will watch Season 6 whenever it comes out.

**Bandersnatch was a cool concept and everything, but If I knew that season 5 would have had less episodes, then I absolutely would have preferred to have more episodes in Season 5.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:42:05 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
^ Really nothing more to add than that, almost my exact thoughts. I didn't hate it like some others did but I'm also not anywhere near as excited to discuss this season or think on it much more than when I was actually watching it. So yeah, a bit disappointing. I think there's still more talent in this season than in a lot of other shows on now, and I barely even have time to watch this much so I'm not complaining too much. Definitely excited for more and I hope the crew gets some inspiration to make something truly intriguing or horrifying for next time.

RIP DTP.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I liked the season a lot. Definitely more subtle than previous seasons, I wonder if that was intentional. No mind-bending concepts or soul-crushing endings but good stories and characters and lots of nice thought-provoking moments.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
I agree. My friend brought up how stale the "OK now how is this show going to gut punch us this episode?" way they had been doing things was getting. I wasn't crazy about the first episode but I was perfectly entertained by the other two.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I liked the season a lot. Definitely more subtle than previous seasons, I wonder if that was intentional. No mind-bending concepts or soul-crushing endings but good stories and characters and lots of nice thought-provoking moments.

I’ve only seen the first episode....the Viper one.....and, honesty I’m not tuning in to Black Mirror for subtle, ‘safe’ character shows. The ‘thought provoking’ in that episode wasn’t ground breaking or original. This was run of the mill content I can find in thirty other spots now days.

Give me back the ate up crap and ‘real’ thought provoking storylines. Not this watered down stuff. I’ll watch the other two episodes but as far as I’m concerned this show....starting with last season....has begun its trend down and has leveled off to ‘just another show’.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Striking Vipers was anything but "safe" in terms of character stories.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Striking Vipers was anything but "safe" in terms of character stories.

I feel like that narrative has been done before. It was a 'boring' sex life between married couples who both discovered they get more turned on by outside....exciting....encounters who then decide to have a semi open relationship by allowing their partner to cheat on them once a year.

They may have added a couple garnishes to the plate to disguise it but that's essentially what it was. Nothing groundbreaking about that IMO.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
That was one aspect (the more straightforward one). The other aspects I found interesting were the questions it raises about sexuality and about what impact technology can have on what sexuality even means, particularly in Karl's case.

I be am boner inducing.