Author Topic: MLB 2015  (Read 32920 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: MLB 2015
« Reply #490 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
Heyward is one of the best OFs in baseball period. This is a great sign for the Cubs, even better they got him for less than $200 million, Cubs are scary now!

Cards fans must be extra salty too!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #491 on: December 11, 2015, 11:37:48 AM »
The Cubs sure seem to be the team to beat on paper. The problem is that it always seems like the best MLB teams on paper always end up disappointing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #492 on: December 11, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
Heyward is one of the best OFs in baseball period. This is a great sign for the Cubs, even better they got him for less than $200 million, Cubs are scary now!

I doubt it.  The Cardinals lose players left and right all the time, and yet are always there at or right near the top.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #493 on: December 11, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »

I doubt it.  The Cardinals lose players left and right all the time, and yet are always there at or right near the top.

This.....the Cardinal organization is like the tide.....you can count on it to always be there...plus,

The problem is that it always seems like the best MLB teams on paper always end up disappointing.

The Cubs have made the moves and have now asserted themselves as 'the' team to beat. Can they back it up? that's what will remain to be seen. There were no expectations for them last year.....now there are HUGE expectations. Teams either fold under that pressure or excel so we'll see what they are made of.

IMO I wouldn't have paid a player that hit 12 Hrs' and had 59 RBI's anywhere near the money he got. Plus, the outfielders we have are just as good as he is so....good riddance to him....he was trying to decide which team was going to give him the best shot to win. He made his choice....gotta play the games now.

Besides...I personally think Heyward won't finish the season....it's due time for one of those season ending injuries that seem to follow big contracts like this.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #494 on: December 11, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
Well their vocal minority on Twitter and the like are super extra salty.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: December 11, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Well their vocal minority on Twitter and the like are super extra salty.

I haven't read any of it yet but I'm sure it has to do with what Heyward was saying after the season....about how the Cards were perfect for him....blah...blah...blah....the usual free agent talk. I mean, c'mon....it's Jason Heyward wer're talking about.....not Mike Trout. He's an above average outfielder but that's it. Would it have been nice to have him re-sign? sure. but me personally and I'm sure the Cardinals aren't losing any sleep over it. We've just freed up the outfield to have Piscotty and Gridchuck playing regular every night with Pham in the mix as well....all of which are more than capable to fill his shoes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #496 on: December 11, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »
Heywood signed for how fucking much? :omg:

WTF is going on this off season. Samardzija for 90m??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #497 on: December 11, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
Well I think Coghlan covers OF replacement, he's decent as an OF platoon player.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #498 on: December 11, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
Heyward is a solid player but I still think your average baseball fan still values him mentally based on his hype and his first season. He's a serviceable player and young (his main benefit by far) but the money seems to really come from the expectations of his potential more than anything he has actually accomplished in the six years he has played. Cubs are spending but they're really not that much more of a threat unless they can throw some better pitching into the mix.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #499 on: December 12, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »
Heyward is a solid player but I still think your average baseball fan still values him mentally based on his hype and his first season. He's a serviceable player and young (his main benefit by far) but the money seems to really come from the expectations of his potential more than anything he has actually accomplished in the six years he has played. Cubs are spending but they're really not that much more of a threat unless they can throw some better pitching into the mix.

Actually they had the 3rd or 4th best ERA in the league (without a legit 5 pitcher). I know they are still shopping pitching but if they don't get any, a rotation of Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel, and Hendricks would still be pretty solid.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #500 on: December 12, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »

$184m/8 seasons.

Cards and Nats both offered more.

There's a reason why he picked the cubbies.  Yes everything is on paper, but he's only 26. He's actually younger than Rizzo.

In Theo we trust.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: December 12, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »
There's a reason why he picked the cubbies.

Well he thinks they are going to win a WS before the Cards do. I'd make a bet on that......

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #502 on: December 12, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
It'll be entertaining in a few years when the Cubs are irrelevant again and Heyward is stuck there because of that long contract.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #503 on: December 13, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »
It'll be entertaining in a few years when the Cubs are irrelevant again and Heyward is stuck there because of that long contract.

He has two opt outs after years 3 and 4.

Regardless I'm not sure that's going to happen.

People are comparing this to the Soriano contract years ago... But that's not the same. Soriano was 31 at the time, at his peak or a little past it. When Heyward is 31 5 years of that contract will be done. While any large contract is a risk I think the Cubs made a good one here.

There's a reason why he picked the cubbies.

Well he thinks they are going to win a WS before the Cards do. I'd make a bet on that......

It's the cards, they always have a shot. What Theo is trying to do is make the Cubs system like the Cards, by building up the farm. This is why I don't want them to trade for a pitcher. There are a ton of guys still on the farm that have huge upside. Cards always have that (look at Grichik and Piscotty... Thorns in my side already lol)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: December 13, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
It's the cards, they always have a shot. What Theo is trying to do is make the Cubs system like the Cards, by building up the farm. This is why I don't want them to trade for a pitcher. There are a ton of guys still on the farm that have huge upside. Cards always have that (look at Grichik and Piscotty... Thorns in my side already lol)

I am truly curious to see how the Cubs respond to the pressure and expectation of being 'the' team to beat. I've said it before.....I am nowhere near the Cards fan that my in laws side is....they're insane about the Cardinals.....and actually it's funny to watch them sweat it out now being the Cubs have improved themselves.  :lol

I'm happy for the Cubs fans that have stuck it out through thick and thin.....the thing that bugs me more than anything though is the automatic passing of the guard before they've really accomplished anything so to speak. That's not their fault by any means....it's the media.....but it bugs me.

It'll be neat to watch next year because I will not put it past the Cards to keep pace with the Cubbies despite not having the glitzy bombshell offseason

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #505 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
Cubs cards will have that relevant rivalry that I love so much.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #506 on: December 15, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
Cubs cards will have that relevant rivalry that I love so much.

Even without the offseason moves the Cubs made and picking up a couple of the Cards players.....this was a given....it'll be a fun thing to watch for some time now. Although, I'm not sure the Cards fans are ready for the beating  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: December 15, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »
Latest tweet from the Cubs:

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #508 on: December 18, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
Yeah pretty much :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #509 on: December 25, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »

$184m/8 seasons.

There's a reason why he picked the cubbies.  Yes everything is on paper, but he's only 26. He's actually younger than Rizzo.

In Theo we trust.

I've heard Harper will command 500 Million once he hits the market.

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #510 on: December 25, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »

$184m/8 seasons.

In Theo we trust.

I've heard Harper will command 500 Million once he hits the market.

I hope the nationals keep Harper forever! He's my fave!
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.