Author Topic: Radiohead v. 2016-2024 (2nd album by The Smile featuring Yorke/Greenwood coming)  (Read 20398 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Radiohead v. 2016-2022 (new album out by The Smile featuring Yorke/Greenwood)
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2023, 06:01:12 AM »
Radiohead has been one of my all-time favorite bands for as long as I can remember so had to bump this thread. There's just something about their music that really resonates with me.

Here's my personal ranking of their albums:

1. OK Computer - This one's a classic. It's like they took everything that was great about alternative rock in the '90s and turned it up to 11. 'Paranoid Android' and 'Karma Police' are absolute gems.

2. Kid A - A bit of a departure from their earlier sound, but that's what makes it so intriguing. Tracks like 'Everything in Its Right Place' and 'How to Disappear Completely' are hauntingly beautiful.

3. The Bends - This album's got some killer guitar work and a lot of emotional depth. 'Fake Plastic Trees' and 'Street Spirit (Fade Out)' are personal favorites.

4. In Rainbows - The release strategy for this one was groundbreaking, and the music lives up to the hype. 'Reckoner' and 'Nude' are just breathtaking.

5. A Moon Shaped Pool - Their latest offering, it's a more mature and reflective sound. 'Decks Dark' and 'Daydreaming' are standout tracks for me.

6. Amnesiac - Often seen as Kid A's sibling, this album has its own unique charm. 'Pyramid Song' is a standout.

7. Hail to the Thief - It's a bit of a mixed bag, but it's got some powerful tracks like '2 + 2 = 5' and 'There There.'

8. Pablo Honey- Their debut, and while it's not as experimental as their later work, 'Creep' is an anthem for a reason.

9. The King of Limbs - A shorter album that's a bit hit-or-miss for me, but 'Lotus Flower' is worth the listen.

I hear rumors The Smile is working on a second album, I thoroughly enjoyed the first so looking forward to it!

I adore that first Smile album, and the live stuff I've watched on Youtube shows the band has grown a ton since those initial sessions. Fingers crossed that this coupled with Thom's kids being grown means a new Radiohead session will eventually be on its way.

A Moon Shaped Pool is a stellar swan-song, but a part of me likes the symmetry of a ten album catalog.

Online PMSummer

Re: Radiohead v. 2016-2022 (new album out by The Smile featuring Yorke/Greenwood)
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2023, 06:08:43 AM »
Bending Hectic is great, I'd definitely prefer more Radiohead but a new Smile album would be great. Seeing them live was great and they seemed super into it so I can see this being Thoms main thing for quite a while.

Online PMSummer

« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2023, 11:44:27 AM »
I was diving deep into my Radiohead collection and stumbled upon a B-side that I had never heard before, called "Kinetic.' It's actually on the Pyramid Song single, and I can't believe I missed it all these years. Wonder if there's any other gems I missed because they are in weird places.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2023, 12:12:26 PM »
I was diving deep into my Radiohead collection and stumbled upon a B-side that I had never heard before, called "Kinetic.' It's actually on the Pyramid Song single, and I can't believe I missed it all these years. Wonder if there's any other gems I missed because they are in weird places.

I highly recommend checking out the Kid Amnesiac double collection...the disc of b-sides has a handful of gems on it!

Online PMSummer

« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »

I highly recommend checking out the Kid Amnesiac double collection...the disc of b-sides has a handful of gems on it!
I have that one but I prefer the OKNOTOK bsides, man of war and lift rule.

Online PMSummer

« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2023, 05:27:07 AM »
The Smile:
Wall of eyes single directed by PTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqqjOxEuAg

I like it.

New album jan 24th
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 06:16:07 AM by PMSummer »

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2023, 05:54:06 AM »
Wall of eyes single directed by PTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqqjOxEuAg

I like it.

New album jan 24th

Yes, it's great news all around.

I LOVE "Bending Hectic"–consider it to be the band's best work, so I'm super happy to see it on this release.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2023, 06:11:03 AM »
To be clear, this is a new record by The Smile (not Radiohead).

Online PMSummer

« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2023, 06:15:45 AM »
Yes, I will clarify it in my post - forgot not everyone is following what these guys do closely ;).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2023, 06:40:42 AM »
I'll skip the single and wait for the full thing. Exciting news, though, it's cool that there are already a couple of albums to look forward to in January. The debut was really good, I'm revisiting it right now, so hopefully they can keep up.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2023, 12:23:35 PM »
Yes, I will clarify it in my post - forgot not everyone is following what these guys do closely ;).

:tup :tup

Offline Mladen

I can't believe no one commented on the new album yet.  :omg:

I'm digging it. They ditched the brief garage rock tunes that were the weak ones on the debut anyway, and just took a plunge into the atmospheric, creepy stuff. Bending hectic is a masterpiece, the title track and Read the room are right behind.

Online PMSummer

It rules

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Wanted to sit with this one for a bit, but I have deep thoughts.

Obviously, it rules...but, here's my 'in-depth' review:

By design, side projects aren’t supposed to rival an artist’s day job. If anything, they are bastions of creative whims and self-indulgence—an artistic distraction, if you will. But in the case of The Smile’s debut (A Light For Attracting Attention), Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood assembled a potent mix of accessibility and brazen experimentation. The trio’s music (rounded out by Sons of Kemet drummer Tom Skinner) drew comparisons to Radiohead’s best work. Considering the parties involved, it makes total sense, but many fans hoped The Smile meant the Radiohead giant was beginning to stir.

Of course, Yorke and Co. never considered The Smile an ancillary extension of their (former?) band. Still, given Yorke’s propensity for project juggling, one couldn’t help but wonder if the group’s incredible debut was just another artistic fling. It’s a question that the trio’s sophomore release, Wall of Eyes, summarily puts to rest.

Wall of Eyes is perhaps best described as a confident reaction. Where The Smile’s debut felt like a nod to Radiohead’s guitar-driven heyday, Wall of Eyes feels more like a blend of The King of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool. Moody instrumental vamps punctuated by Yorke’s ever-evocative vocals dominate the album.

Sure, Jonny’s hypnotic guitar work makes an appearance or two, but the ‘rock out’ moments are few and far between. For his part, Yorke’s seemingly ageless voice is in fine form, impressively showing no signs of wear from a year of live shows. Speaking of which, it’s a curious move for a road-tested band to return with such a subdued, meditative release. While I’d initially hoped for something a bit more energetic, repeated listens reveal an album steeped in satisfying nuance.

Below are my track-by-track thoughts:

Wall of Eyes – This simmer-to-an-(almost)-boil album opener sets an ominous tone for what follows. An understated vocal from Yorke floats over a minimal guitar line. There are some sparse percussive elements and even a hint of Jonny tossed in for good measure, but this is essentially a solo vehicle for Yorke.

Teleharmonic – Opening with a subdued synth line, “Teleharmonic” slowly morphs into another slow-burn number that pairs a pulsing, tom-heavy rhythm with some incredible vocal harmonies. Between Yorke’s unmistakable falsetto and the imagery-laden lyrics (lots of ‘sea’ references), I can’t help but think of In Rainbows.

Read the Room – Somewhere between 2016’s A Moon Shaped Pool and The Smile’s debut, Jonny Greenwood added a whole new King Crimson-esque dimension to his guitar playing. “Read the Room” makes use of a slinky, half-time riff for about three and half minutes before shifting gears into a krautrock excursion that doubles for the album’s first upbeat moment.

Under Our Pillows – The second longest track on the album, “Under Our Pillows,” is another Jonny-led song and opens with a riff that bears a striking resemblance to “Thin Thing” (off The Smile’s debut). Similar to “Read the Room,” the band rides Jonny’s guitar for a few minutes before shifting gears into an up-tempo groove that eventually careens into a string-filled crescendo.

Friend of a Friend – One of the pre-release singles, “Friend of a Friend” drew instant praise, likely because it’s the most immediate moment on the album. The dry production, piano-driven mix, and Yorke’s ‘out-in-front’ vocals stand in stark contrast to the rest of the album. What’s most impressive, however, is how the trio managed to make such an unconventional arrangement so instantly memorable.

I Quit – “I Quit,” with its ominous Yorke vocal and brooding, circular vamp, is another great example of The Smile’s most effective tool: restraint. That said, on a vibe-heavy album full of moody, six-minute songs, this is the one track that feels a bit redundant.

Bending Hectic – At just over eight minutes, “Bending Hectic” is a sprawling, multi-part epic that provides the album a tangible climax. After a few minutes of stage-setting, the song transitions to one of the album’s best choruses. The band returns for a second verse before a string swell erupts into a fuzz-drenched finale that’s easily the most crushing thing the band’s done to date. This is a spectacular track that sets a new high-water mark for The Smile.

You Know Me!
– It’s always hard to say goodbye, but Yorke and Greenwood have fared well on the ‘album-closer’ front over the years. In the tradition of “Videotape,” “You Know Me!” features some off-kilter percussion and a haunting piano line. Based on the song’s lush, saturated production and Yorke’s beautifully subdued vocals, you’d never know he was singing, “Keep your arms up son!, You don’t scare me” or “And a town that’s underwater, None of this is mine.” The man has always had a way with words.

So there you have it–Wall of Eyes is everything I didn’t even know I wanted from The Smile. It’s also easily the best Radiohead side-project (this side of The Eraser). Yorke, Greenwood, and Skinner could’ve satisfied most of us by simply delivering another batch of songs in the vein of their debut. Instead, the trio redefined the boundaries of their sound, delivering an even more challenging album in a rather concise package. Above all else, Wall of Eyes firmly establishes that The Smile are more than merely a placeholder for the next Radiohead release.

Offline Mladen

Read the Room – Somewhere between 2016’s A Moon Shaped Pool and The Smile’s debut, Jonny Greenwood added a whole new King Crimson-esque dimension to his guitar playing.
Excellent catch. I'm getting serious Beat-era King Crimson vibes with it. It's cool someone else noticed it.  :tup