Author Topic: Radiohead v. 2016-2024 (2nd album by The Smile featuring Yorke/Greenwood coming)  (Read 20429 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Radiohead v. 2016: A Moon Shaped Pool
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2020, 08:44:37 AM »
Amnesiac

You misspelled 'The King of Limbs'
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2020, 08:55:41 AM »
Even though Amnesiac has higher highs (nothing on TKoL is close to as great as Pyramid Song), I find The King of Limbs to be more consistent and an easier listen.  Too much of Amnesiac comes off to me as "here are some songs that weren't good enough for Kid A."  Don't get me wrong, I still like the album as a whole quite a bit.  My album ranking would be:

1. In Rainbows
2. OK Computer
3. Kid A
4. The Bends
5. Hail to the Thief
6. A Moon Shaped Pool
7. The King of Limbs
8. Amnesiac
9 Pablo Honey

Note: the gap between 6 and 7 is pretty sizable, as I find A Moon Shaped Pool to be significantly better than The King of Limbs.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
I'll give it another go:

1. Kid A
2. OK Computer
3. Hail to the thief
4. The Bends
5. A Moon Shaped Pool
6. Amnesiac
7. In Rainbows
8. The King of limbs
9. Pablo Honey

The middle three keep switching places, but this is what it looks like at the moment. Also, I like In rainbows just well, but I don't think it's that brilliant.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »
1. Kid A
2. Amnesiac
3. In Rainbows
4. A Moon Shaped Pool
5. OK Computer
6. The Bends
7. Hail to the Thief
8. Pablo Honey
9. The King of Limbs

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2020, 03:26:01 PM »
Oh boy.. this'll be difficult:

1. OK Computer / Kid A
2. In Rainbows
3. The Bends
4. Hail to the Thief
5. Amnesiac
6. A Moon Shaped Pool
7. Pablo Honey
8. The King of Limbs

Kind of feels bad to put AMSP that 'low'. Goes to show how consistent their output is. I find TKOL to be fairly boring and don't really listen to Pablo Honey often, but I can appreciate them for the albums they were in that time of their career.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »
1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. A Moon Shaped Pool
4. Amnesiac
5. In Rainbows
6. Hail to the Thief
7. The Bends
8. The King of Limbs

I haven't listened to Pablo Honey lmao

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
I'm gonna go on a walk/run and play A Moon Shaped Pool. I don't know many Radiohead records but that one is far and away the very best music I've heard from the band. It's an awesome record.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »
I definitely feel in the minority of being a bit lukewarm on OK Computer. On one hand I do think it's a great album but it's heralded as one of the best albums of all time and I just don't feel it. I prefer most of the classics by other 90s alt rock bands whether it's Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, Pavement, Sonic Youth, R.E.M or even the british wave with Oasis, Blur and Suede to name a few.

It's probably an opinion I'll be in the minority with until the day I die but I just don't think OK Computer has that extra 'wow' factor that takes it to the level of hype that it has. Radiohead was never that 'awesome guitar riffs' rock band and I feel like they got a lot more interesting when they expanded their sound and introduced electronics into it. Kid A to me is not just a better album but a vastly more interesting one.

Don't mean to come down too harshly on it though. For me it's like a solid 8/10 or so. Just a quick glance at the tracklist and I don't think many of these would make my 'top25 radiohead songs' or whatever. Paranoid Android is dope, i'm a sucker for Airbag and I really like the atmosphere of Subterranean Homesick Alien but that's about it. I would even say Fitter Happier onwards (side B basically) is kinda meh. I think The Bends probably has more standout songs than OK Computer but I'll give the small advantage to the second because I think soundwise it's a bit superior and it feels stronger conceptually.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2020, 07:52:02 PM »
Last night I was listening to several Radiohead b-sides and realizing just how fantastic "Staircase" and "Lift" are.

My album ranking goes like this:
1. OK Computer
2. The Bends
3. Hail to the Thief
4. In Rainbows
5. Kid A
6. A Moon Shaped Pool
7. Pablo Honey
8. Amnesiac
9. The King of Limbs
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 11:17:49 AM by Dittomist »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »
I thought it was cool that the non-album song The Daily Mail was used in an Ozark episode in Season 3.

Also, I think I read a while back that The Amazing Sounds of Orgy has only been played like four or five times ever, and one of them was at the show here in STL on the King of Limbs tour. :coolio

Lastly, it was weird checking out some of the show they posted from 2016 and not seeing There There in a set list.  I thought that was one of three songs that got played at every show, along with Idioteque and Everything in Its Right Place, but I guess not. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2022, 07:52:50 AM »
Wow, almost two and a half years since the last post!  :eek :eek

Anyone else digging The Smile album called A Light for Attracting Attention that came out earlier this year? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smile_(band)

The band is three guys, two of whom are Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood.  It's not Radiohead in name, but it sounds a lot like what the next Radiohead album could have sounded like, so considering 2016 was their last album, this is a nice consolation prize in the meantime. Good album.

Offline Mladen

This is AOTY for me, right after Impera by Ghost. Had the label said Radiohead, I would have believed it. My favorites are A Hairdryer, Thin thing, The Same and Pana-vision.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
This is AOTY for me, right after Impera by Ghost. Had the label said Radiohead, I would have believed it. My favorites are A Hairdryer, Thin thing, The Same and Pana-vision.

Nice!  I am still working through figuring out my favorites, but Thin Thing is definitely a major standout. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
It's a wonderful album and probably in my top20 for the year. Like it a lot more than the other side project stuff we've gotten. Surprised people haven't talked about it before since the album is like 6 months old at this point, but been one of my more listened to albums of 2022!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Feels like the number of Radiohead fans here has really dwindled over the years, so I am not too surprised this hasn't been talked about yet before today. 

I was overdue for a Radiohead binge, and this album by The Smile appears to have been the catalyst.  :hat :hat

Offline NoseofNicko

Radiohead fan here! The Smile album is one of my favorite albums of the year!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Radiohead fan here! The Smile album is one of my favorite albums of the year!

:tup :tup

Offline The Realm

Re: Radiohead v. 2016-2022 (new album out by The Smile featuring Yorke/Greenwood)
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2022, 08:33:41 PM »
Thanks for alerting me to The Smile. I didn't know this band/album existed. Really loving it.

I was once a huge Radiohead fan but not so much these days but listening to The Smile album has actually fired me up to do some relistens of the later Radiohead albums which didn't do too much for me at the time of release.

Offline HOF

Re: Radiohead v. 2016-2022 (new album out by The Smile featuring Yorke/Greenwood)
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2022, 08:57:06 PM »
Radiohead are a band who I was into a bit back during and shortly after college when one of my best friends was a huge fan, but I never felt the need to delve deeper than The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A, and I only infrequently revisit those.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2022, 09:16:16 PM »
Thanks for alerting me to The Smile. I didn't know this band/album existed. Really loving it.

I was once a huge Radiohead fan but not so much these days but listening to The Smile album has actually fired me up to do some relistens of the later Radiohead albums which didn't do too much for me at the time of release.

:tup :tup

I was pretty underwhelmed by The King of Limbs at the time of its release.  I liked it, but after In Rainbows, which is a top 10 album for me all-time, it was a letdown, but I have come around to enjoying it now for what it is.  It's a strange album in that none of the songs are even close to being a favorite for me by the band, but the album as a whole is just a very enjoyable experience.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2022, 09:21:52 PM »
I was a massive fan of The Bends and OK Computer at the time of release, I just loved those albums (don't listen to them today or rarely) and when the band changed styles with Kid A etc they kind of lost me and I never gave any of the albums after Kid A much of a chance. I think today I am a bit more open minded to explore different styles of music so I will give them all a decent go.

Kev, since you love In Rainbows I'll have to give that one a few decent listens.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2022, 09:27:40 PM »
I was a massive fan of The Bends and OK Computer at the time of release, I just loved those albums (don't listen to them today or rarely) and when the band changed styles with Kid A etc they kind of lost me and I never gave any of the albums after Kid A much of a chance. I think today I am a bit more open minded to explore different styles of music so I will give them all a decent go.

Kev, since you love In Rainbows I'll have to give that one a few decent listens.

Awesome.  Give it a couple full spins and just let it sink in. The vibe is amazing, and the songwriting is top notch.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #197 on: November 03, 2022, 02:02:19 AM »
Big Radiohead fan here! I thought the The Smile record was pretty good although I really don't feel that the label could've said Radiohead. I just didn't get that vibe. It was altogether something a bit more spooky and less emotional to my ears. More jazz influence. I do like it and should listen to it more.

Radiohead ranking:

In Rainbows (one of my top 3 albums of all time)
Kid A
A Moon Shaped Pool
The King of Limbs
OK Computer
Hail to the Thief
Amnesiac (Pyramid Song is my #1 Radiohead song though!)
The Bends
Pablo Honey

The King of Limbs was, when it came out, the biggest disappointment for me. I just couldn't fathom why they would put out such a 'dissonant' record after the magical and beautiful In Rainbows. But TKOL aged like fine wine for me. It's actually my most listened to Radiohead album, I can always put it on and have a good time. Having it above OK Computer seems kind of ridiculous, I know, by my tastes nowadays go more towards the dark and moody stuff.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mladen

« Reply #198 on: November 03, 2022, 02:22:36 AM »
Talking about having some albums above certain albums, my list might raise some eyebrows:

1. Kid A
2. OK computer
3. Hail to the thief
4. A Moon shaped pool
5. Amnesiac
6. The Bends
7. The King of limbs
8. In rainbows
9. Pablo honey

All of them range from good to great, though.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2022, 12:59:48 PM »
Kid A
In Rainbows
OK Computer
A Moon Shaped Pool
Amnesiac
The Bends
The King of Limbs
Hail to the Thief
Pablo Honey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2022, 05:14:14 PM »
01 In Rainbows
02 OK Computer
03 The Bends
04 Kid A
05 Hail to the Thief (might have been a spot or two higher had it been a 10-track album)
06 A Moon Shaped Pool
07 The King of Limbs
08 Amnesiac
09 Pablo Honey

That looks about right.  :hat :hat

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2022, 05:22:50 PM »
01 Kid A
02 The King of Limbs
03 A Moon Shaped Pool
04 In Rainbows
05 Amnesiac
06 Ok Computer
07 The Bends
08 Hail To The Thief (agree with Kev - and indeed the band themselves - that there are too many songs on this)
09 Pablo Honey

Offline Mladen

« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2022, 03:29:16 AM »
I think I remember Yorke giving an interview and stating that Backdrifts, We suck young blood and Scatterbrain shouldn't have made it. Ironically, I think those are among the best tracks on the album. That could be the reason why it ends up being near the top of my list, I love the hits as much as the underrated gems.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2022, 05:50:17 AM »
I think I remember Yorke giving an interview and stating that Backdrifts, We suck young blood and Scatterbrain shouldn't have made it. Ironically, I think those are among the best tracks on the album. That could be the reason why it ends up being near the top of my list, I love the hits as much as the underrated gems.

Yorke is smart, as I think those are the three clear weakest links.  Go to Sleep, which is a bit too Neil Young for me and not in a good way, is usually the 4th I point to as another that should have been left off, but it's not as blah as those other three, so it can stay. :P 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2022, 06:14:30 AM »
I actually did a full discography listen last week in one day and my main two take aways was that The King of Limbs was a bit better than I remembered and Hail to the Thief a bit worse. For me a big reason why Hail to the Thief is their second worst (Pablo Honey is the worst by a fair margin still) is that it tries to do both the alt rock of The Bends/OK Computer but with the flourishes of electronica from Kid A/Amnesiac and for me it just ends up a bit of a muddled mess where nothing stands out that much. Don't get me wrong, there's a couple of great songs on there, but generally speaking the rock songs aren't as good as OK Computer for example and the electronic songs aren't as good as the Kid A songs.

For me In Rainbows feels like a much more natural continuation for the band that brings out the best of those two styles.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2022, 10:49:11 AM »
I kind of get that, but the eclectic vibe of the album really works in its favor.  For me, Where I End and You Begin is a top 5 RH song, and I think the album as a whole manages to sound different enough to where it doesn't like they are trying to rehash anything.  A rocker like Myxomatosis sounds unlike anything they had done up until that point.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2022, 05:37:59 AM »
Reiterating what I posted in a dormant thread:

RE: The Smile

I was super busy when it came out earlier this summer, but I recently circled back and by God it is a damn fine album. Easily my favorite Radiohead side-project to date.

In a way, it feels like the missing link between In Rainbows and The King of Limbs, but there's something else as well.

Obviously, Radiohead is far from the reason most of us are on this forum, but if there's any fans on here, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2022, 06:04:24 AM »
Another thought:

When I think about my introduction to the band via Pablo Honey back when I was 13, it blows my mind that the band that wrote "Creep" took the path they did.

To that point, Radiohead is one of only a few bands that I was able to follow from the beginning. Every year or so I get the itch and take yet another deep-dive into their catalog, and it never ceases to amaze me just how well these records have aged. Even The King of Limbs has recently revealed itself to me as an underrated gem.

So, in the spirit of this thread, I'm going to offer my own 'as of today' rankings:

9. Pablo Honey — A nice little album for what it is, but if Radiohead had stayed in this lane, I likely would've lost interest decades ago.

8. The Bends — Back in '96, this was my favorite Radiohead album (and one of my favorite records period). Unfortunately for The Bends, the band kept making albums. Still, there are some stellar tracks here, and when I'm in the mood for some straight-up rock, this album scratches that itch.

7. The King of Limbs — Like I said above, I've recently acquired a new appreciation for this album. The abbreviated track-listing and the somewhat inconsistent approach is the only thing that relegates this to the bottom third of my list.

6. Hail to the Thief — I'll echo what many others have said: trim this album by three or four songs and you have a top-3 Radiohead album. As it stands, you have a necessary bridge between the cold electronica of Kid A/mnesiac and the blissfully organic In Rainbows.

5. Amnesiac — I go back and forth on Kid A and Amnesiac as to which album is the better of the two. Honestly, the answer is probably a mix that combines the best 6 or 7 tracks from each record. That said, while I think Kid A is the more consistent album, Amnesiac has the session's two best songs, ("Pyramid Song," "Knives Out")

4. Kid A — In addition to the comments above, I'll add that Kid A is sonic masterpiece. Somehow, this record sounds less dated to me with each passing year.

3. A Moon Shaped Pool — It's hard to believe that it's already been six years...this is such a beautiful album. I tend to penalize recent releases in an effort to combat recency bias, but this album has continued to climb up my rankings as I fall more in love with each listen.

2. OK Computer — Genre-defining masterpiece about which novels have been written. I loved it the moment I first heard it, and the album has aged brilliantly over the years.

1. In Rainbows — A brilliant, cohesive masterpiece that continues to impress. In and of itself, this is easily the band's high-water mark, but when taking into consideration the 'second disc,' In Rainbows is in my top-5 albums of all time (routinely flirting with the top spot)

Well, there you go. Considering the overall quality, this is really a matter of very-good to best. I sincerely hope there's another record on the horizon, but if the band called it a day here, I'd be more than satisfied with their body of work.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2022, 05:15:28 PM »
Nice ranking, WilliamMunny.  My order is a little different, but your top 2 is my top 2, in the same order.  :tup :tup

I like the album by The Smile quite a bit, but I find I am not revisiting it a lot. I think I just don't think about it most of the time, and with so many songs at my fingertips, I usually end up getting distracted by a different album or band.  I need to give a few more dedicated listens.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2023, 02:10:15 AM »
Radiohead has been one of my all-time favorite bands for as long as I can remember so had to bump this thread. There's just something about their music that really resonates with me.

Here's my personal ranking of their albums:

1. OK Computer - This one's a classic. It's like they took everything that was great about alternative rock in the '90s and turned it up to 11. 'Paranoid Android' and 'Karma Police' are absolute gems.

2. Kid A - A bit of a departure from their earlier sound, but that's what makes it so intriguing. Tracks like 'Everything in Its Right Place' and 'How to Disappear Completely' are hauntingly beautiful.

3. The Bends - This album's got some killer guitar work and a lot of emotional depth. 'Fake Plastic Trees' and 'Street Spirit (Fade Out)' are personal favorites.

4. In Rainbows - The release strategy for this one was groundbreaking, and the music lives up to the hype. 'Reckoner' and 'Nude' are just breathtaking.

5. A Moon Shaped Pool - Their latest offering, it's a more mature and reflective sound. 'Decks Dark' and 'Daydreaming' are standout tracks for me.

6. Amnesiac - Often seen as Kid A's sibling, this album has its own unique charm. 'Pyramid Song' is a standout.

7. Hail to the Thief - It's a bit of a mixed bag, but it's got some powerful tracks like '2 + 2 = 5' and 'There There.'

8. Pablo Honey- Their debut, and while it's not as experimental as their later work, 'Creep' is an anthem for a reason.

9. The King of Limbs - A shorter album that's a bit hit-or-miss for me, but 'Lotus Flower' is worth the listen.

I hear rumors The Smile is working on a second album, I thoroughly enjoyed the first so looking forward to it!