Author Topic: 2016-04-27 - Taft Theater - Cincinnati, OH  (Read 8966 times)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
2016-04-27 - Taft Theater - Cincinnati, OH
« on: December 24, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »

Greetings from Nashville, TN

Checking to see who is going to the concert.  I love to eat and have not been to Cincinnati.  Lots of places to eat near the venue, but would love recommendations. 

See you at the venue!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Shadow2222

Re: 2016-04-27 - Taft Theater - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:50:30 AM »
I'll be driving from Columbus for this show, but I've actually never been to Cincinnati somehow. I might try to hit a brewery or two before the show.

The venue looks nice and I'm excited for the show! See you guys there :)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline mike099

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »
Just an FYI for those going to the show in Cincy.  Be on the lookout for your tickets.  I just received my tickets in the mail. 

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »
^ Thanks for the heads up! It took some extra time for whatever reason, but I just received my 3 tickets for the show.

Not too far away now!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline envex

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »
I'm driving from Cleveland if anyone would like to meet up.  I'm hoping all I need is the Ticketmaster app for my tickets; unsure if I'm getting physical tickets or not.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
I printed mine off. I don't like relying on the postal service to get my tickets to me. I've had a bad prior experience.  :lol

I'm going with my younger brother and a good friend of mine. We're making the drive from Chillicothe. Should be a hell of a show. Very excited! :corn
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:49:14 AM »
I'm driving from Columbus. Anyone know the best place to park in the area?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:05:05 AM »
I'm driving from Columbus. Anyone know the best place to park in the area?
It's been a while since I've been down to this part of Cincinnati, but according to google maps, there's a shit ton of parking around the Theatre. It just becomes a question of finding one with some open spots.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 05:58:37 AM »
Concert day :) Can't wait!

Offline CincyE

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »

Greetings from Nashville, TN

Checking to see who is going to the concert.  I love to eat and have not been to Cincinnati.  Lots of places to eat near the venue, but would love recommendations. 

See you at the venue!

I suggest Arnold's at E 8th and Main. It is a few blocks walk from the venue. It has a beautiful urban courtyard (covered too) with good food and drinks. It is also the oldest bar in Cincinnati!

Offline mike099

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »
Thanks, but sold my tickets because buddy backed out and would have been a 6 hour drive by myself.  Please give a review of the show.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »
I'm here. The venue was very up front about no pictures or video. Very up front.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
At intermission now. The album sounds huge live. Some highlights for me are Dystopian Overture, Three Days, Chosen, and A New Beginning. The crowd reactions after these were extremely positive. That's not saying the other songs didn't have positive reception, but those songs really stood out.

The band has been perfect, with one bad high section from James in Lorf Nefaryus. But other than that, very awesome. Can't wait for this intermission to end.

Offline NonstopPurpleForce

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 10:22:45 PM »
I just got back from the show, and it was amazing. Highlights were A New Beginning (especially with the slowed down "Father is it true" part), Moment of Betrayal, The Walking Shadow, Our New World, and Astonishing (with a surprisingly good vocal performance). There were a few flubs, including Jordan playing wrong notes early on Astonishing, but nothing huge. The security in my area did not enforce no cell phones before the show and at intermission the way the Boston people reportedly did. The sound was not bad. The audience did not seem to be bad either, though I was a bit surprised that I was one of very few who were clapping during Hymn of a Thousand Voices.
Where does the answer lie? Within these walls.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
I was trying to get a lot of people to clap in the balcony, where I was sitting in balcony 4, especially during the Hymn.

I just got home a few minutes ago and had some time to reflect. In terms of the no photo/video policy, the security people didn't enforce it before the show or the intermission like you said. They only enforced it during the actual performance when the band was playing. I still manage to sneak a few pictures and videos, but nothing worthy of posting (unless you like staring at the back of the people's heads in the row in front of me).

The second Act was really awesome. Moment of Betrayal was awesome as well as The Walking Shadow/Our Last Farewell. James got the vast majority of the crowd to stand up during Our New World.

Overall, the band was killer throughout the night. Petrucci messed up a solo late in Act 2 (barely), Jordan play a few wrong nights at the beginning of Astonishing (like Nonstop said), and James had a rough few lines in Lord Nefaryus. Other than that, 10/10 show. Sound was great (I was in the balcony) and I could hear everything clearly (the keys were kind of quiet at the beginning of Act 2, but they corrected that fairly quickly).

Honestly, this is definitely a top 2 show when I've seen them. They played very well and I wish I could go see this show again.

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 06:49:16 AM »
The were enforcing the phone ban in my section before the show. My friend had his phone out and they told him to put it away, per the band. I said, the band isn't on stage, so fuck em. What I do while they aren't playing isn't their business. If I want to check baseball scores during intermission, I will.

Nothing else was said the rest of the night.

And yes, I know that the band isn't doing the preshow and intermission phone thing, but the security blamed them, so I said what I said to make a point. The band and management needs to be more specific, because it's pissing people off. During the show, sure, but not before or during intermission.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:57:51 AM by gilpdawg »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
And yes, I know that the band isn't doing the preshow and intermission phone thing, but the security blamed them, so I said what I said to make a point. The band and management needs to be more specific, because it's pissing people off. During the show, sure, but not before or during intermission.
The venue will always says it's the band unless you call them out on it. They don't want to appear like their being difficult because you (as the customer) may be going to multiple concerts at that venue in the future.

No one bothered us during intermission, but that's because probably the entire audience had their phones out. Good fucking luck on that one, security.