Poll

Would you support a JJ Abrams guided re-do of Episodes 1-3?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Star Wars Opinion Poll  (Read 5535 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Star Wars Opinion Poll
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 06:14:54 AM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 07:42:48 AM »
^^  :lol

Offline Slipknot

• Fuck it all, fuck this world!!!
  • I AM THE GREAT BIG MOUTH!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 12:46:49 AM »
Darth Vader belongs in our fucking band!
PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKING AIR AND JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 03:26:27 AM »
They could just give it the Lucas treatment and digitally replace most of the cast with better actors.

Yeah...just keep TWEAKING it until nobody WATCHES anymore...!...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 10:48:07 AM »
The prequels are awful. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about them, and frankly it's a disgrace to the Star Wars franchise that they even exist. That said, they don't need to be remade, just ignored. There are far too many interesting and original storylines that can be told going forward. I just don't think Abrams is the guy to do it. The force awakens was underwhelming because it essentially was A new Hope part 2, only worse. Hopefully the next movie will be a novel story instead of a retread of the original trilogy

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 05:38:01 PM »
No I'm just interested in the future movies, not a re-do

Offline TL

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 07:25:37 AM »
If nothing else, the prequels have provided plenty of material for a lot of very interesting conversations about what went wrong with them.

Without The Phantom Menace, we wouldn't have that 70 minute RedLetterMedia analysis of The Phantom Menace.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »
Leave them alone. Yeah, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are bad (I enjoyed Revenge of the Sith), but leave them alone. As bad as they are, they should be watched at least once just for continuity or plot development. There's no reason to remake them so they are Jar Jar-less.

I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 06:04:10 PM »
Just a reminder that I'm not suggesting a redo of the existing stories.  I'm talking about completely burning down the house and starting with a completely blank canvas.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 02:40:20 AM »
I never thought the story of how Anakin turned to Vader needed to be told, and that it was summed up perfectly in what Obi-Wan says in A New Hope. So even before we got the prequels, I always felt like that wasn't a story that needed to be told. He was a good Jedi who turned to the dark side, that's really all you need to know.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
I never thought the story of how Anakin turned to Vader needed to be told, and that it was summed up perfectly in what Obi-Wan says in A New Hope. So even before we got the prequels, I always felt like that wasn't a story that needed to be told. He was a good Jedi who turned to the dark side, that's really all you need to know.

The fact the OT stood on its own for so long before the PT is proof the story didn't need to be told. Before that PT, I don't know that anyone was clamouring to see Vader's backstory.
Given the few bits of information in the OT about Vader's backstory along with seeing the PT, I think it was a story better left untold. You knew all you needed to know, and the rest was unimportant.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
It certainly didn't need 3 films when Anakin doesn't really turn to the dark side until Episode III.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2016, 08:04:46 PM »
I reckon Eps I-III are best consigned to history. III was probably the best of a bad bunch, but it does contain some of the most unintentionally hilarious moments of any movie I've seen. Like this bit, for instance:

https://youtu.be/tv666PtpD_M

Plus, you have the whole transformation into Darth Vader thing, which was probably the highlight of the movie, but then what does he do? Says "Noooooo", force-crushes some medical droids and then stands on the bridge of a star destroyer and crosses his arms. Hardly menacing..  :lol

Growing up with Star Wars, part of the fun was the mystery of the parts that weren't shown on screen. You didn't know where Darth Vader came from, you just knew he was there on screen, kicking ass. The rest could be made up in your imagination.

That's what worries me about the upcoming Han Solo spin off. Do we really want to see a baby Han take his first steps? Or a spotty, teenaged Han whining about why none of the girls will talk to him? I don't think so...  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2016, 07:39:44 AM »

The fact the OT stood on its own for so long before the PT is proof the story didn't need to be told. Before that PT, I don't know that anyone was clamouring to see Vader's backstory.
Given the few bits of information in the OT about Vader's backstory along with seeing the PT, I think it was a story better left untold. You knew all you needed to know, and the rest was unimportant.
I agree, but I think that Lucas painted himself into a corner by calling the first three films # 4, 5, and 6.

Kind of like Dream Theater and Metropolis Pt. 1.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2016, 07:50:18 AM »

I agree, but I think that Lucas painted himself into a corner by calling the first three films # 4, 5, and 6.

Kind of like Dream Theater and Metropolis Pt. 1.

That is also true. I don't know what his original idea was for a prequel trilogy while working on the OT, but I don't think it was given that much thought at the time, which is why I think the story of the PT didn't work that well even at the most general level. Vader's backstory wasn't that well planned in the OT from what I can tell, but it was vague enough that you could just accept it. From a certain point of view.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:58 AM »
I don't think he had any idea whatsoever of a prequel trilogy. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
He was just trolling everyone. The first of many times he's done so to the franchise.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »
It was just called Star Wars in 1977. When it was a massive hit - Lucas obviously saw dollar signs and retroactively called Star Wars : Episode 4 : A New Hope.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2016, 09:09:54 AM »
It was just called Star Wars in 1977. When it was a massive hit - Lucas obviously saw dollar signs and retroactively called Star Wars : Episode 4 : A New Hope.

The plan was always for it to be a trilogy, and probably always for it to be episode 4, but of course it didn't make sense to name it episode 4 before it had even established itself as popular enough to warrant a sequel, let alone a prequel trilogy. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
I always heard that Lucas intended 9 films and he was going to do 1 - 3 and later 7 - 9.

A group of my friends around 1999 thought that episodes 7 - 9 would come out some time after Episode III.

I remember we all saw Episode I on opening day and afterwards we were all like " well that wasn't very good was it :lol "

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
As bad as some parts of the prequels are, I think we fail to say that they kinda achieved what they meant to do in a larger scope (not that 'telling the story of how Vader became Vader' crap). It made a lot of children invested in the saga. Star Wars was already massive by the time The Phantom Menace came to be, but those movies opened the panorama to a new generation of fans that, ultimately, poisoned George Lucas' mind with more money, more power and more crappy dialogue for his characters. "OH PADME YOUR SKIN IS SO SOFT UNLIKE SAND WHICH IS NOT SOFT I DON'T LIKE SAND"

I kinda lost the point of my post, but who cares.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 12:19:26 AM »
No just for the fact that Revenge of the Sith is already my favorite Star Wars film.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Calvin6s

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 12:25:41 AM »