Author Topic: A rough weekend for me...  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
A rough weekend for me...
« on: December 22, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
I generally don't open up a whole lot about personal stuff outside of how much I love my wife and such, but having been here for 8 years now, this place, and the people I've come to know despite never having met most of you, are literally like another family to me.  Thought I'd pass along what happened to me this weekend.  Be warned, it's long and kinda all over the place.  Anyway, I know that my family would appreciate any prayers anyone may offer up.

My niece (who lives in the on-site apartment at my parents' house) called me Saturday morning, telling me that my mom can’t wake my dad up, and that they took him away in an ambulance and he’s unresponsive.  My mom had called my sister immediately when she couldn’t wake dad and my sister was there immediately.  My sister works in a medical center/clinic/doctor’s office and kinda knows a thing or two about keeping calm and checking for vitals in such a situation.  She checked his pulse right away and knew that he was still alive at least, they just couldn’t wake him.  Which wasn’t the info my brother or I got at 8:30 Saturday morning.  We got “unresponsive” from my niece, so I clearly need to teach her what “unresponsive” means, because to most people that means no pulse, no breathing, etc.  I didn't find out until later that my sister had already assessed his state to some degree.  So for a couple hours, I’m sitting there not sure whether or not he was even alive, just that somebody would be getting back to me ASAP.  Mrs. C. was half an hour away at a college graduation.  So that was pretty stressful.

They get him to the hospital, and manage to get him to respond to some small degree, with very slurred and mostly unintelligible speech.  Also one side of his face is a little droopy. They do a CT scan to check for a stroke, it comes back negative, but other tests find opiates in his urine.  He's still pretty much snoring away, but they somehow managed to get him to respond to commands like raise your arms, for example, while he's pretty much asleep.  They think "Ok, CT scan was negative, he must have somehow gotten into medication that conflicted with his own (based on the opiate finding)".  My dad takes blood pressure medication and whatever he has to do for diabetes management.  Mom said he'd taken some prescription cough medicine (the aforementioned "opiates") the night before, a little more than the recommended dose.  However, we know that it wasn't the kind with codeine, as my mother is too sensitive to sedatives and can't have codeine.  So they start him on Narcan and try to wait it out to see if it will counteract the presumed medication issue.

24 hours later, he's still pretty well zonked out and responding slightly more than before.  The little bit he says is slightly more understandable.  They decide that an MRI is in order.  MRI results indicate a stroke in the area of the brain stem.  I later come to find from a doctor that Mrs. C works for that the brain stem is well shielded enough by bone, that CT scans will often not see strokes that occur there.  So at this point, everybody's a little more than pissed that they were chasing this medication reaction issue for so long.  I know my dad well enough to know that he's careful about his medication and would not do something this irresponsible, even at 76 years old, so as soon as I was told they suspected a medication issue, I balked at the idea.  I knew that it wasn't medication related.  However, the doctors also said that, due to it happening where it did, it was very likely that he would eventually come out of this mostly unscathed.

So by Monday, he's awake and ready to GTFO of the bed.  My sister and niece had to sleep in chairs on either side of the bed, in order to ensure that he didn't sneak out of the bed and get up.  And he tried several times.  His speech is starting to get better and the doctor can converse with him, although it's still hard to understand.  They've told him what has happened to him and confirmed that the only medication he'd taken was BP medication and cough syrup.  Yesterday, even better, they sent him for an MRA scan, and I'm still waiting to hear the results from that.  He's out of ICU and on the rehab/therapy floor, for speech therapy and physical therapy, helping him walk around.  They had to do swallow tests, first with water, then later with applesauce, etc., to ensure that he was capable of eating and drinking and not choking.  A-ok there.  My sister knew he was starting to feel better when he demanded coffee.  :lol  So he hadn't really eaten between Friday and yesterday and was apparently cleared to eat like normal.

Apparently his usual wit and personality are starting to show back up.  I spoke to him for a while last night on the phone and it's clear that he knows what he wants to say and knows how to articulate it, but I had a tough time understanding about half of it.  Had I been there to see his lips moving and hear him, I might have understood more.  Everybody indicates being very encouraged at the progress he's made already and that's great news.  Unfortunately, he won't be able to be back home for Christmas, so we will try to take Christmas to him.  They're 5 hours away (Roanoke, VA) and we'd already planned to be there on Saturday.  I feel terrible not being there now, but I know that he appears to be on the mend and everybody else has things pretty much under control.

My mom is pretty much scatterbrained at this point, as when this happened, they still had shopping left to go do together, they've got a couple rooms at the house torn up and stuff everywhere, as they were replacing carpets and such, to try to finish up before Christmas.  And being a mother, she's very particular about her house being presentable.  She's worried about all the present wrapping to be done, which I told her to not worry with.  My sister-in-law is going to help her with it, but still, she's get too much on her plate now.  So I have to try to make some calls to figure out how to coordinate getting the remainder of some of this stuff done for her, because I'm not sure anyone else has considered that yet.

So that's that.  It has been an emotional few days.  I know, full well, that this is something I’m going to have to face with both of my parents at some point and I’ve always avoided giving it any thought.  Having been put face to face with it on Saturday, I had a whole weekend where I had to ask myself how I am ever going to make it without them.  Sure, I don’t see them very often, and I talk to them probably weekly, so it isn’t like they support me financially or anything, but in the back of my mind, I always know they’re that safety net I’ll always be able to count on.  Imagining not having that is one of the scariest things I’ve ever had to consider.  I really can't begin to imagine how I'm ever going to be able to cope with not calling my dad or my mom up on the phone and bs with them and listen to old stories about things they'd done and places they'd been or (in a rare instance of turning tables) having my dad (who along with my brother was my go-to person for cooking advice) calling ME for cooking advice.  I am going to be an absolute mess, I already know it.

So for those that stuck out the entire post, thanks, I know it was kinda all over the place.  And again, even though it appears he's going to be okay, any thoughts and prayers would be welcome.

tl:dr - dad had a stroke, it appears he's probably going to be just fine, and I'm now made to think about milestones in life that I don't want to think about.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: A rough weekend for me...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
Dang Coz....that's a scary scenario but it's good to hear that he's improving and that he's 'getting back to normal'. It's tough....you and I are right at the same age and it's an eye opener that 'we' are at that stage in life where something like this with a parent (or close friends) is something that is a real possibility of a serious medical issue that can just suddenly 'happen'. Like you said, the eventuality of having to face and deal with losing a parent is there but something you don't really think about. I'm glad that your Father is recovering and this isn't the moment where you face not having him....but bummed that in this Christmas Season this is something that your family had to face.

I do pray that the Physicians treating your Dad have great clarity with the line of treatment they give him...that it's custom fit for his situation and body, and that he gets all the nourishment, medication and therapy his body specifically needs to make a full recovery. I also pray that a spirit of comfort and peace finds your family and those close to him and believe that spirit will trump the fear and anxiety that accompanies these situations.

:hug:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
Had almost exactly the same situation with my grandfather a few weeks ago.  He is in very bad health and one morning he woke up, but was out of it, couldn't talk or do anything.  Immediately went to the hospital and my Aunt calls my mother saying she thinks Dad is dying, my parents are in Florida and fly home immediately.  Turns out Grandpa had a stroke, he isn't OK now, but he is alive and clearly my Aunt gave my Mom bad info and lead to an over reaction by everyone.  He had a stroke and his health was poor and is now permanently worse.  But I think maybe when you are in that situation and you aren't a trained medical responder, you could easily over react over someone you care about.  Sorry to hear about your father though, it's tough.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
Hang in there, Coz.  It is great that he has so many family members around to make sure he is okay and to bring the holidays to him.  I can't think of anything I would want more in that situation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
Sorry about all of this, Coz.  We'll be keeping you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »
Prayers from me would probably do more harm than good, but I do hope everything works out for y'all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »
I'm pleased to hear he's on the mend...father's are important blokes and for most of our lives seem invincible. I hope your Dad continues to be for a long time yet to come.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
So glad he is still around to make you smile man.   I'm glad everybody was quick acting.  Your family rocks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
I can appreciate this post, Coz.
I have been thinking a lot lately as to what it all means. Life in general. I have come to the conclusion that its meaning is about caring for those we love, and being thankful for those who love us. Nothing else holds much real meaning.
The more we start to age and feel our mortality the more we understand whats important.
Cherish them every day!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear this Coz. I think about the same things as you, knowing that eventually my parents won't be here, and how difficult it's going to be coping with that. My father has already cheated death twice. Once was for a heart attack and he wound up needing a quadruple bypass. The other was a couple of years ago when he had lung cancer. They were lucky enough to catch it in the early stages but they had to remove half of one of his lungs because of it. It's hard to for him to exert himself and he always has to try and catch his breath. It's hard enough for me to see him like that so I know how you feel.

We're all here for you, and you know how to find me, so if you ever need to vent just say the word.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
Coz, I'm happy to hear that he continues to improve. I'm sure he is just as much looking forward to seeing you as you are him.
Very serious and scary indeed.

Thoughts and prayers from the TACs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 03:55:21 PM »
Glad to hear he's recoding Coz.  Wishes for a continued recovery.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 07:15:17 AM »
Probably only a few of you know, but my dad has had health issues most of my life (arthritis mainly, he got it very bad very young) but other things too (including a stroke).   He's arguably my best friend, he's the smartest person I've ever met, and the strongest, and I've already warned my wife that when that day comes (he's 76 now, though his mom lived to 98 and his two sisters are 86 and 88) I'ma gonna need her like never before.   I cannot imagine a life without my dad. 

So Coz, I wish you all the best, all the strength, and all the blessings you need to get through this. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 08:50:48 AM »
Hey man, I can really identify with this, bro.   I had a health scare with my mom a few years back and it really made me stop and think about things for a while.  I made some changes in my life at that point including giving up alcohol and becoming a much more healthy person in general.  I did it because I took on the responsibility of keeping a roof over not only me and the wife's heads, but I moved my mother in with me too because of her age and health, now I can take care of her.  I hope your dad has a full recovery.   :) 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
Hang in there Coz. Prayers for your dad and family.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 09:29:54 AM »
Cozmo, tell your dad he shouldn't be using whahríbrido pickingant at his age.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
I hope your father gets a full recovery... glad he has all of you coming round to brighten his christmas in the hospital.

My father had a stroke about ten years ago just after new years. It's a scary situation.... my father lost the feeling in his left side and has not got it back. He has trouble walking because of this and can injure himself without even noticing. Hope your dad gets a full recovery and many happy years to come...

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »
:brohug: to you Coz.  Great to hear you have such a good relationship with him, and that it sounds like he'll recover from this due to the quick action of your sister/mother.

I'm not much into the prayer thing, but will think positive thoughts for you and the extended Cozmo's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 05:10:40 PM »
Scares like that often bring out the fears in all of us. Regardless, happy to hear he is getting better, Coz. :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
Scary situation for sure, but thankfully it seems that your dad is going to pull through and be pretty well off, considering what he suffered. I hope things get less stressful as he progresses.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »
That is rough, but glad he is mostly okay. And yeah, being a hospice worker I deal with this stuff with other people's parents every day, but mostly avoid thinking about it with my own. Knowing it will happen one day does not prepare you for it.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 07:12:55 AM »
Thanks, everybody.  Dad's able to get around with some assistance - they still don't necessarily want him trying to get around on his own yet.  They're giving him two 4-hour PT sessions a day.  He's up and down the hall with a walker to get the blood flowing and help him regain some strength, since he's been in bed most of the time since Friday night.  They said that the muscles in his right eyelid aren't working too well, so he can't open it much, resulting in blurred vision from that eye.  They're going to try some stuff to strengthen that as well.  MRA scan came back showing no further damage than what they'd already assessed with the MRI.  He seems to go back and forth between moments of very good and clear speech and slurred, difficult to understand speech.

The only thing that the doctors have voiced any significant concern over is that he's still sleeping a little too much.  They seem to think that is related to something else though and my mother, already scatterbrained at this point, didn't really press them for more information on that, which is frustrating (she always advised us that you ask the doctor more questions if you don't understand something), but at the same time understandable, as she's exhausted mentally.

As noted earlier, my dad's personality is still clearly intact.  He is a smartass to the very end and that has apparently been coming out pretty regularly, so that's encouraging as well.  A couple times, he's attempted to get out of bed, to go to work.  I think he's going to be working until he's literally physically incapable of standing.  He was in the Air Force for 26 years (this alone has yielded so many fascinating stories, that I could never begin to retell them all - including a chance cheating of death that had things gone the other way, I wouldn't be here typing this right now), he worked for the Sheriff's Department back home for probably 15 years, transporting prisoners all over the state of VA, and now works for Wal-Mart.  You'd expect that at 76 years old, he'd be the guy sitting at the door greeting you.  No.  He's the one in the back putting bicycles together and putting them out on display and other odd/end maintenance and display things.  That's his thing.

So there's still a long way to go, but everyone seems pleased with the progress that he's shown thus far.  So it'll certainly be interesting to bring Christmas to him in the hospital, but we'll make it work.

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes.  As I said before, the fine folks at DTF are like another family to me.  It's really a wondrous thing to feel so accepted by and connected to a group of people around the world, most of whom I'll never meet, but feel like I've known for most of my life regardless.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »
Thanks for the update, Coz. I was thinking of you this morning and wondering if you were traveling. Sounds like you made it to him safe and sound, which is good. All my best for a happy visit with your Pops, and his continued recovery!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
Well, actually, I'm not there yet.  We were already planning on going down on the 26th, before all this happened, and still are.  There is a whole houseful of family from here in PA coming over tonight, so we've been pretty busy getting ready for that.  So Saturday, we'll be there.  My sister did warn me that he's still a little droopy and not to be taken aback by it, but just to be prepared.  We'll be there until at least Monday.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »
Okay, well in that case, "safe travels"!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 07:30:45 AM »
:tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 11:40:04 PM »
That's tough bro.  Good to see he is slowly getting better.  Hang in there and stay positive man.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »
So glad that your pops is on the mend Coz.  Sending thoughts, prayers and good vibes your way Bro.  Like you mentioned, we all have to deal with our folks mortality at some point.  Look on this as a reminder to love them up now as much as you can.  Me and my pops (79) went and saw Star Wars the other day then went for beers.  I cherish everday I get to spend some time with him.  I lost my mom a year and a half ago, and like you said, it's devestating when the realization hits you that you can't see, or even call them.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »
How's the visit been with him Coz?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
He got pretty emotional when he realized I was there. He still can't see out of his right eye, the muscles aren't stong enough to open. It's hard to appreciate where he's at, without having been here to see the progress with my own eyes. He has a long way to go and it seems it wasn't AS minor as I thought it was. Not being able to see right affects his balance, so he can't walk steady and his depth perception is really off. This has been a lot more difficult than I'd hoped it would be, and he is clearly frustrated by all this as well. He is clearly all "there", just having some troubles. I'm trying to remain hopeful that with the therapy they're giving him, he'll eventually get back to normal. It's not easy though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »
What do the doctors say about the therapy? 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
Not positive, have been to visit last night and today. He's walking with a walker, doing things like threading string through beads of some sort, I assume big ones, arranging things by color, putting shapes into similar shaped holes, etc. I assume he's doing well, as we'd know if anyone had said or thought otherwise. I'm gonna try to find out more on that. Got him in the wheelchair and took him out to sit in the sun in the mid-70's today. He very much enjoyed it, but with his vision issues, the bright light was making him dizzy after a while.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
Pressure those doctors for answers. I know when my grandmother was in the hospital and when my father was in the hospital, it was like pulling teeth trying to get a straight answer. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »
It'll take a while for him. Best wishes Coz!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol