Author Topic: 2016-04-23 - Radio City Music Hall - Manhattan, NY MEETUP & Concert Discussion  (Read 54573 times)

Offline Grizz

Is one of you Jeremy, my friend's uncle?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is one of you Jeremy, my friend's uncle?

Yes, one of us is Jeremy the friend's uncle  :hat

Offline Grizz

Small world. Heard you guys really enjoyed the show!

MP seems understandably miffed that someone shouted "fuck Mike Portnoy" in the audience.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Mladen

So, how was it?  :metal

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Small world. Heard you guys really enjoyed the show!

MP seems understandably miffed that someone shouted "fuck Mike Portnoy" in the audience.

Is that what he said? I thought he yelled "where's Mike Portnoy?"
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
I thought he said "Where's Mike Portnoy?" too.

Anyway, awesome show. First time seeing the band and they were amazing. Was great to see so many people turn out.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Yeah, the show was great. The sound was pretty much perfect where I was, but I know people in other areas were complaining about the mix. I just wish I had gotten myself more familiar with the new album beforehand.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Awesome show and really fun meet up with everyone.  Mix wasn't perfect for me, but not bad enough to complain about it really.  Venue was great, ushers were patrolling, but I enjoyed trolling them.  Specifically doing something to get their attention, turn my phone on or stand in the isle, and then when they'd come yell at me I'd act like I couldn't hear them yelling "What?!" just to have the guy give up on trying to tell me what to do. 

I also thought the guy yelled "Where is MP?"  and someone followed up with something about MM (couldn't make out exactly what was said),

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Yeah word on social media is that someone shouted "WHERE'S Mike Portnoy" and people booed and someone else shouted "Get over it!"

I wasn't there but am interested in hearing how it went. I saw some reviews around the internet complaining about the sound quality as well as suggesting that a large number of people were ejected from the venue for refusing to stay seated. Definitely want to hear the real story behind this.

BTW, Happy Birthday axeman, what are you like 35 now? :p
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
the MM guy was right next to me, and he just yelled "MM Rules!"
I got the impression that some of the reaction to the MP comment was due to the inappropriateness of bringing up his name at the show, but I'm sure some of it was a us/them

great show!  :metal
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:09:06 AM by yeshaberto »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, I must say that was one of, if not the top DT show i've been too. So happy I sprung for the second seat in the pit.  The sound/ mix was excellent and Everyone kicked ass, especially James. Had an excellent time at the meet before the gig, great turnout of fun peeps! The after party wasn't bad either.  The Norwiegen contingent tried to outlast us, but we stood strong  :yarr great seeng Marc and Aaron again, and meeting everyone else! Also, thanks to Prog for setting up the meet! Well done, Sir!!! :hat
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:12:17 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Damn. Reading through this thread has me PUMPED for the LA show next month :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah word on social media is that someone shouted "WHERE'S Mike Portnoy" and people booed and someone else shouted "Get over it!"

I wasn't there but am interested in hearing how it went. I saw some reviews around the internet complaining about the sound quality as well as suggesting that a large number of people were ejected from the venue for refusing to stay seated. Definitely want to hear the real story behind this.

BTW, Happy Birthday axeman, what are you like 35 now? :p

Honestly was kind of a non issue.  Someone, likely drunk, screamed something stupid at a concert and the response scream was perfect, none of it drew a huge reaction from the crowd really. 

The security never threatened to kick me out, I didn't stand the entire time, but got up often and purposely stood in the aisle at times just to see how much I could get away with, but I was mostly friendly to them and they were to me (besides somewhat trolling them and making work  :lol).  Maybe my seating area they just were a bit less harsh though.  I managed to get a bunch of pics and video clips pretty easily.

Also, thanks for the fan club for setting that up!  :metal :metal

Offline ad78

clearly JLB is the MVP. almost no downtime. freaking amazing!

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Yeah, aside from one or two of the higher and/or more shouted parts he sounded pretty damn good last night.
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I thought the sound was muddy, but DT rarely sounds particularly good in my experience. I'm also comparing that to CT which was one of the best sounding shows I've ever been to.

Those ushers were dicks. Fuck those people.

I thought James sounded good both nights, but there's kind of an asterisk there. They're using a shit-ton of backing tracks and that includes much of the harder vocal parts. I understand having the orchestra and choir sequenced, and even background vocals. I won't hold that against them. They went well beyond that, though. There were times when JLB was singing background to canned leads.

Great finally meeting some DTFers, and hanging with long-acquainted ones. Shame I didn't get to do the after-show thing, but a 0700 trek to LGA is really a bummer.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Well, I must say that was one of, if not the top DT show i've been too. So happy I sprung for the second seat in the pit.  The sound/ mix was excellent and Everyone kicked ass, especially James. Had an excellent time at the meet before the gig, great turnout of fun peeps! The after party wasn't bad either.  The Norwiegen contingent tried to outlast us, but we stood strong  :yarr great seeng Marc and Aaron again, and meeting everyone else! Also, thanks to Prog for setting up the meet! Well done, Sir!!! :hat

Thank you. It was also John, from the fan club, and Victoria who both had a hand it in as well. Once John heard I was thinking about putting something together, he contacted me about making it a fan club thing which, of course, I thought was great. Victoria and I were working on finding the right place. After Valhalla was less than accommodating, we decided on Brickyard. Those nachos were pretty damn good. How were the wings, Aaron?

Marc, you were well within my sight. I have to say you were probably having the best time there.  :lol   I was trying to get your attention.

I ran into Axeman during the intermission. The sound was good but the mix definitely wasn't optimal from where I was sitting. James' voice was, for the most part, drowned out by the instruments. Even some of JP's solos weren't as clear as they normally are. I think the drums and keys took over as far as sound goes. What does everyone else think?

El Barto, I didn't do the after show either. I was exhausted and it's 2 hours of public transportation home for me, so I got home around 2.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I could hear everything, but there was no fidelity to it. In CT when the whole band was playing you could still hear which patch JR was using, or which cymbals MM was hitting. Last night you just heard keys and cymbals, but no real definition at all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
yeah, the meetup was great and good to hang with some again and to meet a number for first time.

Offline bwm09d

Went to the show last night. Dream theater is my favorite band, but I do have a few critiques of the night. I really didn't get a good vibe from the meet and greet. I understand the band has a lot of people to meet, and they have to keep the line moving along. But outside of Mike and Jordan, I got the vibe that the band really didn't want to be there. For the $360~ I spent, I was underwhelmed by their attitudes and a bit disappointed. I'm also kind of upset that the m&g group didn't get access to pit seats. I just feel like when fans pay almost 3x as much for a ticket they should have their choice of the front 5 rows.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the show itself. Mangini was on fire, Jordan got a lot of love from the crowd. JP was incredibly passionate with his work. James sang very well and I heard few, if any mistakes.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
I got the impression that some of the reaction to the MP comment was due to the inappropriateness of bringing up his name at the show, but I'm sure some of it was a us/them

I must've been right next to you cause that guy was literally 4 seats to my left.  :metal

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I'm also kind of upset that the m&g group didn't get access to pit seats. I just feel like when fans pay almost 3x as much for a ticket they should have their choice of the front 5 rows.
Yeah, y'all kind of got a raw deal on that one. All of the people wearing laminates were behind me. I understand why they don't want to set aside all of the very best seats for the people with the money to buy them, but there's certainly a compromise that can be made there.

That said, it could be worse. The Who had 8 or so different levels of VIP packages (precious metals and gemstones). I gave my extra good seats to some gals that had paid for a package deal and given seats in the second section back.
E.F. Benson

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
Really glad I sprung for that pit seat.  What a show!  Definitely my best DT experience yet.

The sound was what sound is that close to the stage; I was fine with it.  The crowd was a bit odd at times (the "Where's Portnoy," of course, which was really just awkward more than anything... I heard a yell of "We love you, Mangini!" that seemed to settle things and move on).  I had zero complaints about the ushers but maybe that's just me; I don't get what the big deal is.  I never have my phone out at concerts anyway, I guess.

But the band... damn.  I thought JLB *killed*.  I found myself paying very close attention to what he was doing... he was definitely taking care with how he was placing things, breaths, etc., but at the same time just cutting loose when necessary.  Really nailed the delivery and emotion.

Also found the visuals very strong!  I was worried it would be CGI cheese, but that was used sparingly and (mostly) tastefully.  The more stylized stuff -- especially involving silhouettes and recurring color motifs for certain characters -- was fantastic I thought.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran

Oh man, would've been cool to connect.  I was right in front of him at edge of balcony

I must've been right next to you cause that guy was literally 4 seats to my left.  :metal

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Some more thoughts on the concert from me, now that I'm back home and can type on my laptop:

- Not only was it my first time seeing DT, but it was my first time in NY. It was pretty cool seeing Radio City for the first time. Gorgeous venue.

- Before the show, I was walking around Radio City and saw the band's crew unloading their equipment. I recognized JP's guitar tech talking to someone. At the show, I saw JP's wife (Rena, I think?) and then realized I was sitting near the band's manager. A lot of "celeb" sitings. :lol

- The show's visuals were amazing, from the graphics to the lights.

- The sound was pretty much on par with most other concerts I've been too. A little loud, a little muddy, but as long as you knew what to listen for, all was fine.

- Everyone was on fire. JLB was a beast.

- The live setting confirmed some of my own personal thoughts on the album: Amazing first act, but I personally think it  could have been cut by a few minutes. Strong start to the second act, a little weak in the middle, and then an amazing finish.

- I noticed a lot of females at the concert, including an old lady who looked to be around 70. :metal

There was one hilarious moment at intermission when I was walking to the bathroom and heard a girl yelling at her boyfriend, "Look... I don't want you to say I'm not participating in new activities, but this is not my thing! I can't believe you dragged me to this!"

I felt bad for her, worse for him. :mehlin

- I felt the highlights were the first few songs, A Life Left Behind -> Chosen (maybe THE best stretch of the concert), A New Beginning -> The Road to Revolution, Hymn of a Thousand Voices -> Astonishing.

Overall, great show and I can't wait to see the guys again. If they do another North American leg and play old songs, my wallet is going to suffer for it. :rollin
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
If they do another North American leg and play old songs, my wallet is going to suffer for it. :rollin

But what sweet suffering it would be! fingers crossed another leg is announced and this happens. I don't want to regret missing this show.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I think I might have liked the Wallingford Show a little more then the RCMH show. I felt like the mix wasn't anywhere near as good as the CT show, and there were a lot of times when James became inaudible.

My girlfriend missed pretty much the entire concert. She just got back from a 12 day Ireland trip the night before (the reason she was apprehensive to go in the first place) and she was really jet-lagged. She got about half way through The Gift of Music and was out cold until The Astonishing  :rollin  :rollin

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought James sounded good both nights, but there's kind of an asterisk there. They're using a shit-ton of backing tracks and that includes much of the harder vocal parts. I understand having the orchestra and choir sequenced, and even background vocals. I won't hold that against them. They went well beyond that, though. There were times when JLB was singing background to canned leads.

That's interesting (particularly the emboldened part). I saw the show twice in London and don't recall thinking JLB was never singing the main line. (I do remember him sounding very poor in places, though.) Can you recall specific parts?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
I think I might have liked the Wallingford Show a little more then the RCMH show. I felt like the mix wasn't anywhere near as good as the CT show, and there were a lot of times when James became inaudible.

My girlfriend missed pretty much the entire concert. She just got back from a 12 day Ireland trip the night before (the reason she was apprehensive to go in the first place) and she was really jet-lagged. She got about half way through The Gift of Music and was out cold until The Astonishing  :rollin  :rollin

:lol
I was going to ask what her take on the show was...I guess that answers it  :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon

That's interesting (particularly the emboldened part). I saw the show twice in London and don't recall thinking JLB was never singing the main line. (I do remember him sounding very poor in places, though.) Can you recall specific parts?

I was also there the first night in London, and don't remember this either. Maybe it's something that has been tweaked as the tour went on, but I think I would have been disappointed if he wasn't singing the main vocal line.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

:lol
I was going to ask what her take on the show was...I guess that answers it  :lol

I can't blame her at all for it. I've been there. I was in the second row when DT co-headlined Gigantour at Jones Beach and I slept straight through Megadeath's set.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin wow to sleep at a metal concert is quite a task!  But those seats at Radio City are very comfy.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Yeah, I noticed the occasional piped in vocals, but I didn't ever think it was the main line.

Oh, and props to whoever it was that showed up to the meetup in a "Make Ravenskill Great Again" t shirt.
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Yeah, I noticed the occasional piped in vocals, but I didn't ever think it was the main line.

Oh, and props to whoever it was that showed up to the meetup in a "Make Ravenskill Great Again" t shirt.
That was a great shirt. Might have been one of the twins.

E.F. Benson

Offline dtvoices94

That was me.  Best $12 I ever spent.  I thought of doing it on Friday afternoon and contacted a local shop and had it in my hands Saturday morning.