Author Topic: Yes! Finally some CT love!  (Read 11787 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Yes! Finally some CT love!
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
+1 for the Oakdale being a really sweet venue. My favorite place for a show. I've never had issues with parking. We always use the huge gravel lot next door. Easy in and out. I would expect a relatively light crowd for this one, judging from the amount of tickets available.
Speaking of... If anyone is looking for last minute tickets, there are a bunch available really cheap. Like front/center section for $25. I'm guessing a lot of people (like me) bought tickets before they heard the album and now aren't too excited about this show.  :)
(I'm not trying to advertise anything, just an FYI for anyone thinking about going.)

:lol So I'm guessing that means DT won't be coming back to CT for some time. It's a shame their numbers are so poor in this state.

Offline cackleberry

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »
+1 for the Oakdale being a really sweet venue. My favorite place for a show. I've never had issues with parking. We always use the huge gravel lot next door. Easy in and out. I would expect a relatively light crowd for this one, judging from the amount of tickets available.
Speaking of... If anyone is looking for last minute tickets, there are a bunch available really cheap. Like front/center section for $25. I'm guessing a lot of people (like me) bought tickets before they heard the album and now aren't too excited about this show.  :)
(I'm not trying to advertise anything, just an FYI for anyone thinking about going.)

:lol So I'm guessing that means DT won't be coming back to CT for some time. It's a shame their numbers are so poor in this state.

You're probably right, unfortunately. But I've been to DT shows at the Oakdale that have been packed. Right now, the Oakdale is showing a LOT of empty seats. Maybe it's the album, not the venue. I wonder if everywhere else has been sold out for them?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »

You're probably right, unfortunately. But I've been to DT shows at the Oakdale that have been packed. Right now, the Oakdale is showing a LOT of empty seats. Maybe it's the album, not the venue. I wonder if everywhere else has been sold out for them?

Even when the venue looks full, it isn't. If I remember correctly, there are extended areas off to the side that remain walled off when DT plays, and they don't even bother to open the balcony. I'm thinking it's definitely the album. Granted, I really like The Astonishing, but if I didn't, I wouldn't be too excited to go to this show, especially knowing that I wont even get a classic at the end.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2016, 10:05:23 AM »
Its never full when they play there but the place always seem to have enough juice to make it a fun show. I'm sure the crowd will likely be relatively the same as usual tomorrow night.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
I can't remember ever having a problem getting into the parking lot at the Oakdale, then again, I'm always there on the earlier side. Getting out can be a shit show though. There'a a parking lot up top along the side of the venue that's an easy out if you can get up there early enough.

How much is parking? I am considering attending, since I saw tickets for $7!  :lol

Offline cackleberry

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2016, 06:17:56 PM »
I can't remember ever having a problem getting into the parking lot at the Oakdale, then again, I'm always there on the earlier side. Getting out can be a shit show though. There'a a parking lot up top along the side of the venue that's an easy out if you can get up there early enough.

How much is parking? I am considering attending, since I saw tickets for $7!  :lol

I think the "real" parking is like $10. But there is a huge gravel lot right next to the Oakdale that's free.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2016, 12:05:08 PM »
Okay I bought a ticket for orchestra 102, row N. Look for me, I'll be the only female there. Anything been decided for a meetup?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2016, 08:53:30 PM »
Let's exchange some 4/20 contraband.
I'll start:

Side note: did anyone hear me say "Make Ravenskill Great Again"?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »
What a show! I'll reflect more tomorrow. Time for bed.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20:43 PM »
So here is my feedback, zero crowd engagement until the last song. Does DT hate CT now? This is the first time I've been to a show where everyone sat the whole time except for the last song. That was very disappointing. The girl next to us was trying to have a good time and the dude in front of her yelled at her for being too loud?! The guy behind us said the band wanted everyone to stay seated. Is that true? Why did myung look like he would rather be watching storage wars? They sounded awesome but it was extremely de-energized and non interactive with the crowd.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2016, 10:38:09 PM »
So here is my feedback, zero crowd engagement until the last song. Does DT hate CT now? This is the first time I've been to a show where everyone sat the whole time except for the last song. That was very disappointing. The girl next to us was trying to have a good time and the dude in front of her yelled at her for being too loud?! The guy behind us said the band wanted everyone to stay seated. Is that true? Why did myung look like he would rather be watching storage wars? They sounded awesome but it was extremely de-energized and non interactive with the crowd.
We Connecticutians are historically boring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALh1cKrjj-4
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2016, 10:47:22 PM »
I was at that show. Pathetic, connetisuck, shame!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2016, 10:51:48 PM »
Good times. The show exceeded my expectations (not a fan of the album, but knew seeing it performed would be good). A New Beginning was a brutal onslaught of savagery and mayhem. Seeing that performed twice will justify the money I spent on this venture.

Hanging out with Stadler, Chino, and surprise guest appearance Cecilia was great. Very pleased I got the opportunity to do so. Also got to hang briefly with Tick and his crew after the show. Good people up here.

YtseJam is certainly on to something. I don't think the crowd was dead at all. Pretty lively bunch, I thought. But they do seem to have a real dislike of standing for shows, though. Where I come from, when people in front of you start standing, you let out sigh of annoyance, roll your eyes, and then stand and enjoy the damn show. Here, there was borderline belligerence between standers and sitters. Don't recall ever seeing that before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »
The girl next to us was trying to have a good time and the dude in front of her yelled at her for being too loud?!

So after intermission I moved down next to Stadler, and was behind that girl. She had turned and asked me if I was enjoying the show. I think she only asked because I'm a female. I got a little mad, because I felt like she assumed I went to the show with someone. No, I went to the show alone. I couldn't even drag my husband lol.

Anyway, it was awesome meeting everyone. So nice to put faces to names after so many years of posting here/DT.net/MP.com.

I'm still not a fan of the album, but I was thinking it would be a worse experience. Hopefully they will come back to this venue, because it seemed like all the seats had a great view, and the sound was great!!

Offline Awaken

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »
My son and I had a blast - he was a little surprised that everyone was sitting the whole time and really livened up for Our New World/Astonishing where everyone stood and got louder.  It was a perfect album/live setting for his first show -not too crazy, no/few drunks falling around.  I will say to the guy who decided to narrate the entire story to his acquaintance real time as the show was being played - we're all VERY impressed with your knowledge of the story.  But the album has been out nearly 3 months - during the show (and attempting to talk OVER the actual music being played) is NOT THE TIME TO BRING SOMEONE UP TO SPEED!!!  /rant

The sound was great where we were sitting, though I spoke to a neighbor who didn't think it was so great.  I was surprised to hear that feedback.  Totally agree re: Myung - he really doesn't seem to have a whole lot of interest.  Mangini is a joy to watch, though.  He really looks like he's enjoying every minute of playing with this band.  James sounded ok, as well.  Certainly much better than I anticipated after so many shows in a row.  Petrucci really looks and sounds as good as I've ever heard/seen him.  His playing is near flawless and I loved seeing him use the 6 and 12 string acoustics.  Such a treat to watch him play, my son commented often about how great he is live - most of the time getting a reaction from their manager Frank who was sitting right in front of us the entire night.  Hopefully he takes the 'I really hope they keep playing CT' feedback to the band, the venue is great for them.

This album is settling mid to upper tier for me, some parts I can take or leave and others I absolutely love.  I'm glad I was able to see it live in its entirety - it came across far better than expected and was an awesome 1st show for my son.  Though DT is a very high bar, it will always be 'the show' he compares all others too. 

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2016, 05:28:33 AM »
I really think the energy of the crowd reflected the album as a whole. Whenever the band gets on a roll it seems like there's always a another slow interlude around the corner to bring it to a halt. so while CT was painfully silent and still during the show, the band didn't exactly try to get anyone involved until maybe when James asked everyone to stand.

But overall I still enjoyed it. The sound/visuals were top notch. But definitely near the bottom of DT shows for me as I'm not the biggest fan of the album. But I was aware of the set list (I thought there'd be one old song at the end but nah). The walking shadow was my favorite part of the night
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:41:38 AM by chrisbDTM »

Offline cackleberry

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »
Totally agree, chrisbDTM. This album/band encouraged sitting and quietly watching the show. Honestly, I couldn't imagine standing for that entire show. It would be a chore. I would have NEVER said that about a previous DT tour.

Some random observations from the night in no particular order:
-Oakdale is a GREAT venue. I really hope DT make it back again soon.
-The live show was better than the album.
-Mangini was fun. He's obviously trying his best to entertain the crowd, given the material. His skill comes through live much better than the album.
-Myung probably looked bored because he was.  :laugh:
-This was the first Oakdale show I've been to with vendors wandering the aisles selling drinks. That stood out to me for some reason.
-It became crystal clear to me that DT don't give a crap about the audience for this tour. They're just performing Petrucci's play, and if people want to pay to watch, all the better. More Broadway than concert tour.
-The sound was great, although they understandably seemed to struggle getting James balanced between his various "characters".
-That solo in "A New Beginning".... good lord.  :o :metal
-There was some AMAZING technical musicianship going on, but it often got overwhelmed by the crushing banality of song structure. And when things would really start to get going, the song would fall off a cliff and land in a depressing puddle of another Jordan piano lullaby. (This obviously applies to the album as well.)
-The light show was good, but why all the lights aimed directly at the audience? I was sitting almost directly behind the sound board and was constantly getting lights flashing directly in my eyes. Anyone else?
-The images/movies did nothing to add to the "story", at least for me.

Bottom line... I really hope they got this out of their system and can get back to kicking some ass on the next one.
(And for the love of god, PLEASE hire a producer for the next album! The Rudess/Petrucci ego trips need to stop.)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:22:45 AM by cackleberry »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:37 AM »
-The light show was good, but why all the lights aimed directly at the audience? I was sitting almost directly behind the sound board and was constantly getting lights flashing directly in my eyes. Anyone else?
It is my understanding that the principal direction for effects lighting in concerts is from behind. I'm not entirely sure why, it may have something to do with not shining spots on cycs/backdrops/screens. DT always has lights in the direction of the audience since they started doing advanced lighting for LSFNY (although they really didn't start getting it on a regular basis until Systematic Chaos).
Watch a bit of this: https://youtu.be/-0Lv2omojE4 , especially around the 1:40 mark.
For the most part, though, lights facing the audience in the Portnoy era were limited to strobes, blinders (those arrays of four headlights that light up the entirety of the audience), and a few effects such as the one above. The Dramatic Tour is when the lights got really obnoxious with several columns of spotlights and wash lights pointing at the audience: https://youtu.be/Ptf2Urg8h_g
Along for the Ride was an improvement, with only 8 lights at stage level, although these got problematic in the nosebleeds:

There were still more blinding effects than on Black Clouds.
This tour seemed to have similar lighting design to Dramatic, but a bit less obnoxious.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2016, 08:38:30 AM »

I don't know where you sat, but I was in 102, J, and at one point, the usher TOLD the people to sit, and at least three times, they lectured people for taking pictures.  It was clearly the band's wishes, and not CT or the Oakdale policy (I've seen other shows there where the audience stood the whole show). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »
Totally agree, chrisbDTM. This album/band encouraged sitting and quietly watching the show. Honestly, I couldn't imagine standing for that entire show. It would be a chore. I would have NEVER said that about a previous DT tour.

-Mangini was fun. He's obviously trying his best to entertain the crowd, given the material. His skill comes through live much better than the album.
-This was the first Oakdale show I've been to with vendors wandering the aisles selling drinks. That stood out to me for some reason.
-It became crystal clear to me that DT don't give a crap about the audience for this tour. They're just performing Petrucci's play, and if people want to pay to watch, all the better. More Broadway than concert tour.
-The sound was great, although they understandably seemed to struggle getting James balanced between his various "characters".
-There was some AMAZING technical musicianship going on, but it often got overwhelmed by the crushing banality of song structure. And when things would really start to get going, the song would fall off a cliff and land in a depressing puddle of another Jordan piano lullaby. (This obviously applies to the album as well.)

Bottom line... I really hope they got this out of their system and can get back to kicking some ass on the next one.
(And for the love of god, PLEASE hire a producer for the next album! The Rudess/Petrucci ego trips need to stop.)

This is pretty accurate.  I thought James was excellent, I thought Mike Mangini played the MUSIC last night, instead of playing the DRUMS, which for me is a positive thing, so that was good.  I'm still not 100% sold, but still.   

As long as you don't approach this as a DT Concert, you'll be fine.   (I thought it was VERY telling that at the end, they scrolled "credits" for the work; music by, lyrics by, concept by... it rubbed me a little bit the wrong way, to be honest). 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2016, 09:11:27 AM »
I absolutely loved the show last night! I've seen Dream Theater I believe 11 times and surprisingly last night was one of my favorite DT shows.
It felt larger than life to me with the stunning visuals. I also thought James was great! so props to him!
It did feel like a sit and take it all in show to me so I had no problem with that aspect. Although if people stood up I would have gladly done that as well because I was amped up!
My wife who rarely goes to shows with me loved it as well, as did my best friend and partner in crime who goes to every show with me.

I'm was pumped to run into peeps after the show! Wish I saw you all beforehand!

Chino, I saw you in set 2 all the way and the other side of the row in front of me so I didn't get a chance to say hello.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Awaken

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »

This is pretty accurate.  I thought James was excellent, I thought Mike Mangini played the MUSIC last night, instead of playing the DRUMS, which for me is a positive thing, so that was good.  I'm still not 100% sold, but still.   

As long as you don't approach this as a DT Concert, you'll be fine.   (I thought it was VERY telling that at the end, they scrolled "credits" for the work; music by, lyrics by, concept by... it rubbed me a little bit the wrong way, to be honest).

See, I took this a little different - sort of the band's way of saying 'There will be NO encore, we're done playing and presenting what we came to present'. 

Which is obviously still necessary as there were many people in my section who were holding out hope for various songs as the encore.  I'm sorry, but at this point, you (not YOU Stadler, but anyone going to the show) should know they haven't played one at any show on the tour - chances are pretty slim they're going to break one out for CT of all places.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2016, 09:59:48 AM »
What, no birthday Change of Seasons?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2016, 10:38:34 AM »

See, I took this a little different - sort of the band's way of saying 'There will be NO encore, we're done playing and presenting what we came to present'. 

Which is obviously still necessary as there were many people in my section who were holding out hope for various songs as the encore.  I'm sorry, but at this point, you (not YOU Stadler, but anyone going to the show) should know they haven't played one at any show on the tour - chances are pretty slim they're going to break one out for CT of all places.

Maybe for the hometown NYC crowd Saturday night? JK not happening.

Honestly a little disappointed with the "sitting rule"  There is a thread about the camera ban, but the ushers telling people to sit?  That sucks.  I assummed that would happen given the presentation of the album, but would have hoped for some standing and rocking out during the heavier songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »

No doubt; but there are other ways of doing that, besides broadcasting that those are MY words and that was MY concept, and...   although, having said that, later down the scroll was the road crew and support staff which is pretty cool for them. 

No, no, I knew it; my comment was more along the lines of wishful thinking and perception than any real craving for something additional.   I think it is safe to say that NO show is going to get an additional song.  It's not in keeping with the theme and attitude of the evening.  This is more appropriately billed as "The Astonishing, featuring Dream Theater" than it is "Dream Theater in Concert!".  It's very clearly a libretto, not a set list. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2016, 10:48:16 AM »
Sorry if I missed it, but the Band actually asked people to...sit?  Or was this just over zealous venue staff??

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
The girl next to us was trying to have a good time and the dude in front of her yelled at her for being too loud?!

So after intermission I moved down next to Stadler, and was behind that girl. She had turned and asked me if I was enjoying the show. I think she only asked because I'm a female. I got a little mad, because I felt like she assumed I went to the show with someone. No, I went to the show alone. I couldn't even drag my husband lol.
I am sure she was just trying to be nice, it was borderline awkward since everyone was “behaving” and sitting in their chairs quietly.

I don't know where you sat, but I was in 102, J, and at one point, the usher TOLD the people to sit, and at least three times, they lectured people for taking pictures.  It was clearly the band's wishes, and not CT or the Oakdale policy (I've seen other shows there where the audience stood the whole show).
I was in 102 H, they’ve always been jerks about taking pix at the Oakdale. Why does DT allow it at other shows?
My G/F asked me why Myung looked so sad and why Mangini was wearing Napoleon Dynamite glasses lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
This show was really great. I loved it. The sound last night was spot on. The mix was solid and Labrie was pretty much on point for the entire show. All the different pieces of MM's kit came through loud and clear, and Myung was pretty present in the mix. Kudos to the lighting guy. I thought all the light changes and flashes were triggered by MM's kit, but their lighting guy was playing his button rig like JR plays his piano. I had a perfect view of him and was watching him non-stop. He was manually activating everything. Very cool to see. It was pretty mesmerizing.

This was a weird show because I knew everything that was coming, and as great as it was, part of me selfishly wanted more. JP went into the extended solo at the end of A New Beginning and I started getting that DT feeling. You know, the one where the whole band starts feeling it and your face starts melting. I wanted so much more. In all seriousness though, that solo was monstrous.

Despite the fact that everyone remained seated the whole show, I think the audience for the most part was really feeling it. They wasted no hesitation to getup when asked. Maybe I was just hearing things, but I felt like the band got louder and way more energized in the final two tracks. Hearing the whole audience screaming "Brother can you hear us!?" was really great. I knew an encore wasn't coming, but I was hoping that they'd let lose for a minute at the end of The Astonishing.

Great to meet the DTFers I met up with. Rich, sorry I missed you. I had to get out of there as soon as the show ended. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:36:38 PM by Chino »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2016, 01:40:06 PM »
Kudos to the lighting guy. I thought all the light changes and flashes were triggered by MM's kit, but their lighting guy was playing his button rig like JR plays his piano. I had a perfect view of him and was watching him non-stop. He was manually activating everything. Very cool to see. It was pretty mesmerizing.
Yeah, he seems cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feMiRepZklA
So that about does it for the myth that we need a click track for the visual effects. IIRC they've had the same lighting guy since Black Clouds and he may have worked for them at some point before Octavarium. I wanted to talk to him during intermission (I did stage lighting in school and am fascinated by concert lighting) but didn't end up doing so.

Offline ad78

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2016, 12:27:29 AM »
I am late fresh from tokyo.. I parked on the free lot. Running! And I found out it's intermission. So when I came to my seat 103 row D there's an asshole sitting and I think with his teenage kid. I didn't bother arguing for the sake on it. So i sitted in the middle a surprisingly no one sitting at least 4 empty space!!! This is in front 3rd row D section. Beside me, a wonderful chubby couple. By the way, you guys are so sweet :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:39 AM »
I am late fresh from tokyo.. I parked on the free lot. Running! And I found out it's intermission. So when I came to my seat 103 row D there's an asshole sitting and I think with his teenage kid. I didn't bother arguing for the sake on it. So i sitted in the middle a surprisingly no one sitting at least 4 empty space!!! This is in front 3rd row D section. Beside me, a wonderful chubby couple. By the way, you guys are so sweet :)

Came all the way from Tokyo just for the second half?  That's a hardcore DT fan

Offline ad78

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »

Came all the way from Tokyo just for the second half?  That's a hardcore DT fan

my daughter requested her 7th bday in tokyo. were from CT and this is my 9th DT concert. well tomorrow im with my wife on radio city music hall, my 10th. yes, im a hardcore DT fan.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »
Hell, I'm more impressed by flying a seven year old to Tokyo as a birthday wish than traveling from there to see a show.

And you were probably sitting just across from me. I was in the middle section, row 4, and the entire 4th row next to me was empty for the first half. A couple of people showed up there in the second half. That would have been the JM/JR side of the house.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ad78

« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
last night in radio city music hall is fantastic! now i call it astonishing! my wife just literally dont know the story but when she saw the visuals she fell in love with it.