Author Topic: Yes! Finally some CT love!  (Read 11788 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Yes! Finally some CT love!
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 08:09:08 AM »
Does the balcony cover the back section? Looks like it starts 3 or 4 rows over it.  Also, did they ever sell the balcony for this show? That and the two rear wings are unavailable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »
Does the balcony cover the back section? Looks like it starts 3 or 4 rows over it.  Also, did they ever sell the balcony for this show? That and the two rear wings are unavailable.

I don't remember the balcony ever being open for DT. I sat up there for a Beatles cover band and I really enjoyed it. But yeah, the balcony covers the rear section. The space between 301 and 302 is directly above 205

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
No balcony for this show.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »
Just picked up a great seat to see Martin Barre in Hartford the night after DT. Looking like a pretty good trip at this point. Three concerts in four nights. All in interesting venues, to boot.
If you have never been to the Oakdale you are in for a treat.
Yeah, looks like a nice place. That Infinity Hall up in Hartford looks pretty swank, as well.
Never been to the Hartford Infinity but the one in Norfolk CT is awesome. I'm sure Hartford is as well.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 05:48:37 AM »
So where are we all grabbing drinks before the show?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »
So where are we all grabbing drinks before the show?
The lobby?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 08:28:07 AM »
The parking lot?  :lol

Seriously, this is like 2 months out still.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 08:31:22 AM »
The parking lot?  :lol

Seriously, this is like 2 months out still.
Nice bar area inside to grab a couple. That's what I do when I go there.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »
Tickets finally arrived! :tup

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 09:49:49 AM »
I'm getting excited! Just over a month to go  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »
I'm getting excited! Just over a month to go  :metal :metal :metal
:metal :metal :metal

Offline Awaken

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
Tickets just arrived!  Psyched for my first DT experience with my son...he's extremely pumped for this show!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »
Tickets just arrived!  Psyched for my first DT experience with my son...he's extremely pumped for this show!

Is it your first DT experience, or the first with your son?

Offline Awaken

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »

Is it your first DT experience, or the first with your son?

Its my sons first show (DT or rock in general), he's 9 and really enjoys TA.  Hes running a countdown to the show, its awesome.   Im not sure what number this is for me, my first DT show was in the early 90s at a venue called The Vertex in Hadley MA, if I recall correctly.  My favorite was an outdoor show at Riverside Park (now 6 flags) on a perfect weather evening. 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2016, 06:18:07 AM »
Its my sons first show (DT or rock in general), he's 9 and really enjoys TA.  Hes running a countdown to the show, its awesome.   Im not sure what number this is for me, my first DT show was in the early 90s at a venue called The Vertex in Hadley MA, if I recall correctly.  My favorite was an outdoor show at Riverside Park (now 6 flags) on a perfect weather evening. 
Wow, so cool he likes The Astonishing at just 9 years old!

What's his favourite song in the album? Does he have a favourite character? (I would assume Xander or Gabriel, but who knows)

Offline Awaken

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2016, 07:31:29 AM »
Wow, so cool he likes The Astonishing at just 9 years old!

What's his favourite song in the album? Does he have a favourite character? (I would assume Xander or Gabriel, but who knows)

Chosen is currently his favorite, but that usually changes up with A New Beginning often.  He's a fan of the recurring melodies and has been trying to 'spot' them all.  It's great to see him investing so much time in music, to be honest. 

And yeah, Gabriel is definitely his favorite. 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2016, 06:43:09 PM »
Chosen is currently his favorite, but that usually changes up with A New Beginning often.  He's a fan of the recurring melodies and has been trying to 'spot' them all.  It's great to see him investing so much time in music, to be honest. 

And yeah, Gabriel is definitely his favorite. 
That's so cool! He has great taste! I agree on the 'investing time' part as well - it's so amazing a young kid is interested in spotting recurring melodies and structures. Good for him! There's a thread for the motif recurrences (https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45892.140) in case any of you want to contribute. There's so much hidden stuff in the album!

A question if you don't mind: what other music/bands does he listen to? I'm assuming he got to know Dream Theater thanks to you (correct me if I'm wrong, though), so I'm curious about what music youngsters are into these days - because I started actively listening to music when I was 9 as well, and I was heavily influenced by MTV at the time (Chili Peppers, Offspring, Nü Metal...)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:49:14 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Awaken

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
Yes his introduction to DT has been through me.  He's on spotify checking out new things all the time - for the most part he's into Top 40 type stuff, though.  TA is the perfect blend of condensed/focused songs with catchy vocal melodies and a story line that grabbed his attention. 
And he loves John Petrucci - he watches performances and interviews on YouTube and routinely comments how he 'seems so nice' for someone who is so good.  I took my daughter to meet the Johns at a local guitar shop signing during the BC&SL tour (last time they were in CT, I believe) and JP was extremely cool to her.  She was only 5 or 6 at the time and was addicted to Wither - would sing it all day long.  She still comments how nice they were.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2016, 07:52:47 PM »
Cool!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
Barto, Chino, all peeps going to this show...
Got to hook up for a 10 dollar brew before the show! Yup, Oakdale gauges no other venue!

2 more weeks......

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »
I'm in.

I have a buddy coming with me (he's never really listened to DT) as well. We'll probably getting into some shenanigans in the parking lot prior if anyone wants to partake. I'm a little apprehensive to have too many beers as it is a long first act.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:58:00 PM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
I'm in.

I have a buddy coming with me (he's never really listened to DT) as well. We'll probably getting into some shenanigans in the parking lot prior if anyone wants to partake. I'm a little apprehensive to have too many beers as it is a long first act.
LOL. And I thought I was old.

Not sure how it'll play out, but hopefully meeting up with Stadler for a couple of beers before the show, then joining Chino for some parking lot festivities as well, and if I execute some improbable clockwork precision, drinking an overpriced beer with Rich. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »
All the pre game tailgating stuff sounds great but I'll likely not arrive till about 6:30ish. My wife and buddy are going but my wife won't be home till around 5:30 and traffic will be brutal, even though it should only be a half hour away it will probably take an hour.
Chino, I think your in the row in front of me.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2016, 06:43:16 AM »
All the pre game tailgating stuff sounds great but I'll likely not arrive till about 6:30ish. My wife and buddy are going but my wife won't be home till around 5:30 and traffic will be brutal, even though it should only be a half hour away it will probably take an hour.

I believe so.  I got front row in section 205. I took the day off from work so I don't have to worry about running around and trying to be on time for anything.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2016, 10:47:02 AM »

I believe so.  I got front row in section 205. I took the day off from work so I don't have to worry about running around and trying to be on time for anything.
Yeah, Wednesday is my day off in general but my wife is working till 5

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »
Sorry, late to the thread party.  I'm in.  I have to bring my daughter home from school, so I won't be there until 5-ish, but am up for either a bar before or going right to the parking lot.  Whatever works.  I'd rather prime the pump before going in, but that's me. 

I had thought a bar before, but if you guys are committed to the PL for at least a spell, want to just meet there?  It literally makes zero difference to me.

Do we know when DT takes the stage?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Roughly how long would it take to get from the preferred drinking spot to a parking place?

And I was assuming 7:30 was the actual start time, though the venue doesn't specify. I prefer later shows, myself, for this very reason.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
Not counting parking time (meaning, traffic into the venue, which shouldn't be that bad), 5 minutes.  It's 2 miles.   With traffic, 10 minutes tops. 

It's fun (GREAT wings), but I'm drinking Guinness at either place so I'm open for consensus (el Barto, if, as a traveler, you want me to bring something for you so it's cold in the cooler, I'm fine with that).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 03:14:35 PM »
Not counting parking time (meaning, traffic into the venue, which shouldn't be that bad), 5 minutes.  It's 2 miles.   With traffic, 10 minutes tops. 

It's fun (GREAT wings), but I'm drinking Guinness at either place so I'm open for consensus (el Barto, if, as a traveler, you want me to bring something for you so it's cold in the cooler, I'm fine with that).
I wouldn't expect the parking time to be all that bad for this show, but you never know. I've certainly spent an hour trying to get into a place and park before. And I've heard this venue can be challenging. That's why I was asking.

I'll probably tell my local friends I'll be at the venue parking lot ~1830-45. I'm definitely up for grabbing a beer or two and some munchies before that, if others are game for an earlier start.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2016, 08:01:47 AM »

I wouldn't expect the parking time to be all that bad for this show, but you never know. I've certainly spent an hour trying to get into a place and park before. And I've heard this venue can be challenging. That's why I was asking.

I'll probably tell my local friends I'll be at the venue parking lot ~1830-45. I'm definitely up for grabbing a beer or two and some munchies before that, if others are game for an earlier start.
I have been to the Oakdale many times and at times its a gridlock nightmare to get in to the lot and park. Other times not so bad. I would saying getting there sooner than later is wise. I can't leave to head up till 5:30. Hoping to be parked and drinking a cold one by 6:30.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
I can't remember ever having a problem getting into the parking lot at the Oakdale, then again, I'm always there on the earlier side. Getting out can be a shit show though. There'a a parking lot up top along the side of the venue that's an easy out if you can get up there early enough.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:45:57 AM by Chino »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
I can't remember ever having a problem getting into the parking lot at the Oakdale, then again, I'm always there on the earlier side. Getting out can be a shit show though. There'a a parking lot up top along the side of the venue that's an easy out if you can get up there early enough.
Your inbox is full, Hoss.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2016, 01:44:42 PM »
Your inbox is full, Hoss.

My bad. I made some room.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
The top lot is definitely better for sure. The closer to show time the more of a cluster the main lot gets.
Getting out sucks for sure.

Offline cackleberry

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2016, 09:04:40 AM »
+1 for the Oakdale being a really sweet venue. My favorite place for a show. I've never had issues with parking. We always use the huge gravel lot next door. Easy in and out. I would expect a relatively light crowd for this one, judging from the amount of tickets available.
Speaking of... If anyone is looking for last minute tickets, there are a bunch available really cheap. Like front/center section for $25. I'm guessing a lot of people (like me) bought tickets before they heard the album and now aren't too excited about this show.  :)
(I'm not trying to advertise anything, just an FYI for anyone thinking about going.)