Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 59532 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #735 on: April 13, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »
I really don't care who Rey's parents are, but I honestly think it could be more interesting if she WASN'T a Skywalker.

Exactly right.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #736 on: April 13, 2016, 03:57:46 PM »
I really don't care who Rey's parents are, but I honestly think it could be more interesting if she WASN'T a Skywalker.

Exactly right.

+1. Surely there is some other family out there that can do Force-y things.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #737 on: April 13, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »
Yeah, but the Saga is a Skywalker family storyline. I would be disappointed IF she wasn't a Skywalker.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: April 13, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »
Yeah, but the Saga is a Skywalker family storyline. I would be disappointed IF she wasn't a Skywalker.
Luke, Leia, and Kylo Ren are all still in play, though, at the moment. That seems like plenty of Skywalker.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #739 on: April 13, 2016, 08:04:22 PM »
As far as the name "Skywalker" is concerned, I don't find it critical for Rey's background.  Yoda himself said or implied that Leia was another hope as being a Skywalker.  But apart from having heart spasms when something bad happens, I haven't seen much indication that she is that powerful in the force.

That said, my first guess is she is Luke's kid.  My theory is Kylo went bad so Luke wanted to quick spread his seed and go into hiding until the time was right.  But, she could be unrelated to Skywalker and I'd be fine.  In George Lucas' world, the Skywalker's are only strong in the force anyway because of Anakin's mother's immaculate conception from the magical midi-chlorians.

Apologies if this theory has already been thrown out there.  I haven't read this whole thread.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #740 on: April 13, 2016, 10:47:18 PM »

I agree. It's a cool story and it's only fitting to keep it Skywalker. No need to reinvent the wheel or complicate the story. Rey being a Skywalker won't be a let down, but if she isn't I'd construe that as being a let down of sorts being that it's breaking away from the underlying Skywalker lineage that comprises the whole SW story....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #741 on: April 14, 2016, 12:49:19 AM »
Luke, Leia, and Kylo Ren are all still in play, though, at the moment. That seems like plenty of Skywalker.

Leia will most likely die in 8 and Luke in 9 (they can't keep playing their roles for much longer anyways) and that leaves us with Kylo. Maybe he dies, maybe he redeems himself, but I want someone good in the Skywalker family to root for going forward, and Kylo Ren is never gonna be that character after what he did to Han Solo.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: April 14, 2016, 10:01:34 AM »
and Kylo Ren is never gonna be that character after what he did to Han Solo.

What if he were to be the one who defeated Emperor Snoke? Say...reminiscent of Vadar turning on the Emperor? If the story were developed more and we watched him continue to evolve into 'going good'.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #743 on: April 14, 2016, 10:05:53 AM »
While I understood and was ok with the copied elements of TFA, I really don't want too many more obvious parallels to the OT with the new trilogy. I'd like Rey's backstory to be a bit less obvious, and I don't want all of the character dynamics to play out the same.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: April 14, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »
While I understood and was ok with the copied elements of TFA, I really don't want too many more obvious parallels to the OT with the new trilogy. I'd like Rey's backstory to be a bit less obvious, and I don't want all of the character dynamics to play out the same.

Maybe Ren defeats and kills Snoke in a grab for ultimate power (on the Dark side) and then he's defeated by Rey or Luke? I like the idea of having Rey be the 'next' badass Jedi and all but I'd also like to see them not go down the obvious road and kill him off to give way to Rey. Keep him alive....have him be THE Jedi Master.....one of lore and legend.....let him grow old and be virtually undefeatable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: April 14, 2016, 12:02:12 PM »

BUT. Even if they totally re-created the Original Trilogy - it still would be better than the Prequels  :biggrin: :corn

I don't think that Episode 8 will be The Empire Strikes Back verbatim. It worked once. I can't see them just doing that again.

Force Awakens to me was like " The franchise is back in safe hands and as you remember it " and 8 & 9 will go in their own direction.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #746 on: April 14, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »
Yeah, The Force Awakens is A Dramatic Turn of Events. "Hey people, we're still what you remember". The next one(s) hopefully will be... astonishing!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #747 on: April 14, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »

I get that.  But for me, I prefer to try to not let myself develop preconceived notions about what I would prefer.  At the end of the day, I only care about whether it is done well and works overall in the context of the story.  If someone had told me just the sheer number of OT callbacks in TFA, or even gone further and gave me a bullet point list, I might very well have formed preconceptions that it was way too much, that TFA would not be original, and that it would be too heavily reliant on nostalgia instead of having a strong story in its own right.  But actually seeing it all in context in TFA, not only am I okay with the call-backs; I think they make the movie/story stronger.  I don't want to short change the story going forward by drawing lines and saying, "if they go this far, that's fine, but if they go that far, it's too much."  Know what I mean?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #748 on: April 14, 2016, 11:23:08 PM »

I get that.  But for me, I prefer to try to not let myself develop preconceived notions about what I would prefer.  At the end of the day, I only care about whether it is done well and works overall in the context of the story.  If someone had told me just the sheer number of OT callbacks in TFA, or even gone further and gave me a bullet point list, I might very well have formed preconceptions that it was way too much, that TFA would not be original, and that it would be too heavily reliant on nostalgia instead of having a strong story in its own right.  But actually seeing it all in context in TFA, not only am I okay with the call-backs; I think they make the movie/story stronger.  I don't want to short change the story going forward by drawing lines and saying, "if they go this far, that's fine, but if they go that far, it's too much."  Know what I mean?

I get exactly what you mean, and for the most part I very much agree. I thought TFA was great, but I do think in the long run they really need to come up with their own ideas so it doesn't eventually get stale, and that goes for designs too (which were basically all Ralph McQuarrie leftovers).
It's not a checklist of "do this, don't do that", just preferences based on what we've seen so far. They could do the complete opposite, and as long as the end result is good, I'm not going to complain about it (much :P ).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #749 on: April 15, 2016, 01:10:46 AM »
Yeah, The Force Awakens is A Dramatic Turn of Events. "Hey people, we're still what you remember". The next one(s) hopefully will be... astonishing!

I really really don't hope this is the pattern of quality we'll get.

Calvin6s

« Reply #750 on: April 15, 2016, 01:37:24 AM »

You mean so Star Wars Fans won't claim Episode 8 (DT12) was better than it was, only to later admit it was the worst of the tree when Episode 9 (Astonishing) comes out?

Bad 2nd acts in a movie are less forgiving though.

Ralph McQuarrie leftovers
This was both good and bad.  It was good that it helped tie in the in-universe feel.  It was bad that so little was done to the X-Wing and TIEs.  Some color changes?  Better than nothing, but not much.

Further, the X-Wing and TIE atmosphere attacks were a bit lazy.  ESB handled this much better.  We didn't see X-Wing v. TIE on Hoth.  We saw Snowspeeder v. AT-AT.  I've always considered space the equivalent to the NAVY and the atmosphere the "beachhead".  You don't run the ships up on land.  You bring in tanks, artillery, etc.  They did this in ESB and the Prequels much better.

Now the good (visually):  Kylo's lightsaber.  Same saber concept, but a new exploration that matched the character.  Stormtrooper armor.  You would expect some changes.  And just like WW1 to modern ground combat, the armor/weapons/uniform do tend to become more streamlined.  Didn't see much new tech though.  BB8.  New droid design is always welcome.  Aliens.  Using old designs is a must.  We don't want to see evolution happen in such a short span.  New species are good, but the existing species should look no different in such a tight time span.

The good (audio)  Ben Burtt sounds were great for that in universe feel.  The TIE scream is probably the most iconic Star Wars vehicle sound.  Nothing says Star Wars like the TIE engine scream.

Plot
Obviously this matters.  Love talking about it.  My only one true safety is they cannot crap all over the Ep. 1 to 6 arc.  Expand it.  Make us look at previous scenes differently.  But don't make us feel Ep. 1 to 6 has become virtually pointless if watched again.  I love Boba Fett, but he died in the Sarlaac Pit.  I love Darth Maul, but there was no need to bring him back.  I'll deal with it, but I prefer it didn't happen.  And please don't give me Han Solo ghost in Ep. 8 or 9.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #751 on: April 15, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »

You mean so Star Wars Fans won't claim Episode 8 (DT12) was better than it was, only to later admit it was the worst of the tree when Episode 9 (Astonishing) comes out?

I mean so that both Episode 8 and 9 won't both suck.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: April 15, 2016, 03:48:45 PM »
So yeah, I'm a tad bit slow picking up on things at times.  It took me till the 3rd viewing to notice Luke was standing over what looks like a grave.  Who's grave though?  It looks old, but my first thought would be the presumed Mother of Rey.  Or...is that not a grave at all....

Calvin6s

« Reply #753 on: April 15, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »
Or...is that not a grave at all....

For some reason, I'm just not hung up on this detail.  Is it a grave?  If it is, whose is it?

On that front, it can turn out to be nothing more than a rock or it can turn out to be Rey's mother.  It has never interested me that deeply though.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: April 15, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »

For some reason, I'm just not hung up on this detail.  Is it a grave?  If it is, whose is it?

On that front, it can turn out to be nothing more than a rock or it can turn out to be Rey's mother.  It has never interested me that deeply though.
Well, if it IS a grave, then it must have some significance right?  Otherwise why show it at all?

Calvin6s

« Reply #755 on: April 15, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »
I'm just saying that for some reason, it doesn't spark a lot of interest from me.

If it is Luke's wife and Rey's mother, is it going to provide anything more than "oh, so Luke had sex and a baby was the result."  That's just exposition.  I'm having a hard time getting much from it.  And if it becomes some crazy explanation that makes Rey's mother the most important character ever, does that feel over the top?

So I'm just not expecting much from it.  Maybe it is just a grave to symbolize his lost Jedi students.

As far as that is concerned, I have more fun speculating on the Jedi temple slaughter.  Maybe it was more than just Ren that turned on him.  Maybe it was a full on mutiny and Luke was the one that had to cut them all down.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: April 15, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »
  Maybe it was a full on mutiny and Luke was the one that had to cut them all down.
Now..wouldn't THAT be a twist!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #757 on: April 15, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
If it is Luke's wife and Rey's mother, is it going to provide anything more than "oh, so Luke had sex and a baby was the result."  That's just exposition.  I'm having a hard time getting much from it.  And if it becomes some crazy explanation that makes Rey's mother the most important character ever, does that feel over the top?

Why does it have to be a crazy explanation in order to "provide" something useful?  Perhaps all it provides is emotional gravitas for the relationship between Luke and this person, whoever it is (assuming for argument's sake that it is a grave).  Isn't that significant enough?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #758 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »
Calvin, I've never seen someone over analyze every aspect in life like you do.  How the hell do you ever enjoy anything especially life?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #759 on: April 15, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »

Why does it have to be a crazy explanation in order to "provide" something useful?  Perhaps all it provides is emotional gravitas for the relationship between Luke and this person, whoever it is (assuming for argument's sake that it is a grave).  Isn't that significant enough?
I implied it would be over the top, not something useful.  Simple exposition is the most likely that will come of the possible grave. 

Luke:  This was my wife.  We came here to find the Jedi Powah, but while performing the Iron Lotus I accidentally beheaded her.
Rey:  Maybe I can pull it off.
Luke:  Let's do it.  Not *it*.  I have to say that because I've been known to have a thing for incest.  Oops.  BTW, I'm your father.

Calvin6s

« Reply #760 on: April 15, 2016, 06:59:54 PM »
Calvin, I've never seen someone over analyze every aspect in life like you do.  How the hell do you ever enjoy anything especially life?!

It isn't like it takes much effort, nor something that needs to be turned on.  The typing is more effort.

And if I enjoy something (like Star Wars), it is quite fun.

Small talk feels like effort.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: April 15, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »
That's not my point. I feel you miss out when you mind spins a 1000 different ways.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Calvin6s

« Reply #762 on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
Well, this is a Star Wars thread first and foremost.  So talking about Star Wars in a Star Wars thread seems pretty focused.  I'm not really sure what I'm missing out on by not shutting down creativity.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: April 15, 2016, 07:22:16 PM »
Preconceptions for future movies, ( and I've seen a ton from you all ready) will have an impact to York viewing pleasure when the other movies come out. 

It's just that some of your theories and worries seem a bit "out there".

Calvin6s

« Reply #764 on: April 15, 2016, 07:24:32 PM »
It's just that some of your theories and worries seem a bit "out there".

Some are meant to be.  Some aren't serious.  All are fun.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: April 15, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
You are the master of the straight Internet face then.  :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #766 on: April 15, 2016, 07:35:54 PM »
You are the master of the straight Internet face then.  :lol
I'm pretty good at it in person too.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #767 on: April 16, 2016, 02:03:03 AM »
That's not my point. I feel you miss out when you mind spins a 1000 different ways.
Everyone has a different way of seeing the world. In Myers Briggs terms, I'm N (intuition), so am interested in the big picture, how a movie feels, whether it lets me use my own imagination. Whereas someone who is a Myers Briggs S (Sensing), which may include Calvin (only a guess), get more from exploring all the little details. S-types are more likely to really hate plot holes or continuity errors, whereas N-types are less likely to mind them unless they're really glaring.

No approach is better than the other, just different.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: April 16, 2016, 04:22:05 AM »
I'm not talking durring the movie Rich.  I've seen too many people ruin films before they are out.  Their anticipation of what they think the movie should go killed the movie for them. 

Go with an open mind then let the imagination go while you're watching the film.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #769 on: April 16, 2016, 05:12:21 AM »
According to JJ Abrams, Rey's parents were not in Episode 7.

So chew on that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.