Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 60275 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:25 AM »
Does anyone else think that Kylo Ren took off his mask too soon? I think it would have been much more powerful if he hadn't removed it when Rey asked him to, but only when he met his father on the bridge. All along we think of him as some evil dude who wears a mask because he has to like Vader, but he turns out to just be a normal looking young adult.

When this happened, one lady in the sold out theater laughed sooooo loud that it caused the rest of the theater to laugh.  That scene was almost comical in a sense of how normal looking he was.  Totally did not expect him to take his mask off at all, let alone be a normal young adult.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2016, 05:42:13 AM »
I love that scene. I'm excited every time in the theater to see how the audience will react to it. Also, Adan Driver is awesome.

It's definetely unexpected, but in my opinion that's one reason it's so great. And after the first time I saw I also thought it was a bit soon to take the mask off, but I have completely changed my mind after my additional viewings. That scene is actually quite far into the movie.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2016, 06:10:48 AM »
I think there should have been a scene with Han and Kylo Ren before the final confrontation. Maybe before they stormed off with Rey from Maz Kanata's place. Even though you could tell he was having problems with it, we all knew when Han went out on that bridge that it wouldn't end well. But I think by adding one more scene of them talking before, it would have been more of a struggle and the outcome would have been more uncertain. Just a minor nitpick though.

The bigger thing I would have changed would have been to make Phasma fight Finn instead of that normal storm trooper. Would have given her more of a character.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2016, 07:20:43 AM »
I think it would've been worse if he took of the mask later, like when he meets Han on the bridge.  We'd have thought through the whole movie that he needed the mask, then when he takes it off it would be "What?  He doesn't even need the damned thing?"  That would be an arguably comical moment which would be mistaken for "the big reveal" and the shit would never stop.  Instead, we get the WTF moment out of the way earlier, and it's just one more thing that emphasizes what a misguided, messed-up dude he is.

That reminds me, there's a scene early in the flick that I loved, when Ren and Poe meet, and Poe gives him some shit about not being able to understand him because of the mask.  I thought that was great that someone was calling him out on it.  Obviously none of the storm troopers or anyone else in The First Order were gonna do that, except maybe Hux.  Actually, Hux would be the perfect guy to do that, too.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »
I'd like to think that we've come that far, but I honestly think that there's still a large enough segment of the population that would have trouble with it, or more accurately, that Disney thinks that there is a large enough segment, and that they'll bitch, and it will all be very ugly.  Disney could lead the way by boldly breaking down racial barriers in one of the most anticipated (and most watched) movies of the decade, and if they can do it, anyone can.  But I just don't think they will.

For the record, The Princess and the Frog show an interracial couple (although it's not as obvious since he spends most of the movie as a frog), and, technically, so does Pocahontas.  And, apparently, there are lots of interracial relationships on Disney Channel shows.  At least, according to racists bitching on the internet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:50 AM »
I'd like to think that we've come that far, but I honestly think that there's still a large enough segment of the population that would have trouble with it, or more accurately, that Disney thinks that there is a large enough segment, and that they'll bitch, and it will all be very ugly.  Disney could lead the way by boldly breaking down racial barriers in one of the most anticipated (and most watched) movies of the decade, and if they can do it, anyone can.  But I just don't think they will.

For the record, The Princess and the Frog show an interracial couple (although it's not as obvious since he spends most of the movie as a frog), and, technically, so does Pocahontas.  And, apparently, there are lots of interracial relationships on Disney Channel shows.  At least, according to racists bitching on the internet.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure where the sentiment that they might be against it comes from.  Maybe a different story if we were talking 50 years ago.  But in recent decades, it seems to me that Disney has been going out of their way to show that they are progressive.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #426 on: January 06, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »
Agreed, I don't understand where this is coming from either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #427 on: January 06, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
Just coming from my own experience, I guess.  I've never seen The Princess and the Frog or Pocahontas, although I do understand that Pocahontas includes some completely bullshit love story between Pocahontas and Jonathan Smith.  I only know about that, though, because of all the bitching on the Internet.  Were there actual love/sex scenes involving them?  Actually, don't answer that; I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.  I don't watch the Disney Channel, either.  My kids are both too old for that, which I consider a good thing.

So hey, maybe we'll get some genuine interracial lovin' in a live-action Disney flick.  With all the pressure on them right now to make sure they don't screw up the new Star Wars films, I would assume that they'll play it safe, as safely as possible, but I could be wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #428 on: January 06, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
To be fair, if Rey becomes a Jedi (which we all expect to happen), love might not necessarily be a thing either. Maybe she will have a fling with someone along the way, but I think the focus will be on her growing as a character and becoming that Jedi who will save the galaxy from the First Order rather than her finding a man she can cook for.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #429 on: January 06, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
If she does become a Jedi, I think her man should cook for her.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #430 on: January 06, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »
Agreed, I don't understand where this is coming from either.
From Jimmy extrapolating a small number of redneck bigots online into a wider problem that doesn't really exist. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #431 on: January 06, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »

Her man would have no choice but cook for her.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #432 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
*Rey waves hand* "These aren't the recipes you're looking for."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: January 06, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »

He would be forced to.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: January 06, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
Just a frying pan flying across the room.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #435 on: January 06, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
Quick rant here... my friend just got his thong in a wad (someone else complained about it, though not as whiny, and not to rag on whoever did that, opinions and assholes blah blah blah) about people being 'overpowered'... Okay so...where the fuck was it stated that Obi/Yoda/whoever-else-you-wanna-bring-up was the end-all, never-to-be-surpassed Super Saiyan omniscient clusterfuck god of The Force? I mean, that is such a boring, shitty way to look at it that subsequently makes ZERO sense. So basically there's no chance for evolution, no use in training, no such thing as natural-born talent or progression? It's just..."Okay Obi and Yoda couldn't do this, so these guys shouldn't be able to". In what mentally deficient universe does that make sense? Because it isn't this one. There being no explanation for it in TFA would be a perfectly fine thing to get your panties in a wad over, sure; even then, in a movie like this where they attempted to explain it and the fans all but had a fucking hernia over it...it's best to say "they have natural talent and/or mentally train" and be done with it. But to say it's impossible and/or ludicrous "because a character in the past couldn't do it and/or couldn't do it as well" is so dumbfuckish that it's making me angry. Obviously. It's just a baseless, illogical thought that beaks before it even finishes. Normally I'd just outwit my poor friend but I've seen other people on different forums bring this same thing up and it makes less and less sense every time I read it. Which is funny because it makes no sense at all to begin with.

Kdone. People are stupid. Opinions. That's my opinion on your onion smelling opinion, FRANK. SHUT YOUR COCK CAVE, FRANK! (he's really mad because he can see me typing this but he's all scrawny and weak so he can't stop me because I'm like Kylo Ren and I've just got natural born strength and am stronger than people that have come before me but there's no explanation for it so it's fucking with his worldview waaaaaaaaah wah wah wah)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #436 on: January 06, 2016, 05:15:39 PM »
rant

I mostly agree in the general sense.  But I am somewhat sympathetic to the point your friend makes in this context, and will try to briefly explain why:  Yoda and Obi Wan were considered to be very strong in the force and trained, under well-trained masters, for a LONG TIME.  So it kinda DOES seem a bit hokey for someone to come along and, with zero training and experience, be able to instantly do things that far exceed what those guys could do. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #437 on: January 06, 2016, 05:26:16 PM »
See, that there is a perfectly logical thought though. The logistics being "it isn't explained" and "why can they do this?". But the comments of "they shouldn't be able to" are what is making my brain hurt. An explanation would mostly remedy that aside from people simply not wanting to accept change/picking favorites/etc (unless it's a shoddy explanation) and I too am sympathetic to that very specific question of 'why'. I am not, however, sympathetic at all to the idea that it should be impossible.

For instance, plenty of people have trained at any number of jobs, talent-specific sports or even just weird physical activities like being able to balance on one foot and spin plates or whatever, whatever it is. Then here comes Mr. Bugaboo and he does it the first try without trying. These things happen in real life, I just can't see why it's suddenly a huge debacle in a fictional universe with plenty of other unexplained happenings. This isn't to say "it's a fictional universe so take everything at face value", not at all; but it's one thing that is far from being just outrageously inexplicable.

That said, I'd definitely love for them to expand upon that aspect and I think they will (again, whether it will be an acceptable explanation is a longer shot...I personally think it'll be a bit of a cop-out of 'it's genetics/heritage'). Impossible though? Psh. Yoda and Obi are old hat and people need to get over it. Their mentality, morals and wisdom are what is truly special and important, the way that they think... The Force? Man, any old villain can be a powered up mofo with natural talent that is 'just that good' without needing to be trained by a master jedi. I'm really struggling to see how that's a big deal when it literally happens in our own world all the time...y'know...without all the cool stuff.  :sadpanda: :millahhhh

RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
I'll spin this the other way.  Some study every night for their Calculus course and gets a B while others never study and get an A.  Sometimes it comes natural for others.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #439 on: January 06, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »
Oooooooooooooooooooh, so you mean it's like how I am just naturally sexy without even trying, while the rest of you, try as you might, don't quite measure up to my level of sexy?  Okay, yeah, it makes a lot more sense when we put it in real life terms like that.

Okay, I'm good now.  Carry on.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: January 06, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »
Well , Duh?!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #441 on: January 06, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
Exactly, BOSK, DAMN YOUUUU *Smashes really expensive console controls to a really expensive ship that Frank will have to fix later* RARARAR GRANPAAAAAAAA!!!!!

RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #442 on: January 06, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »
*Smashes really expensive console controls to a really expensive ship that Frank will have to fix later*

Adama?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #443 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »

RIP DTP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »
Don't.

It's a trap.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: January 06, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
I'm thinking it's this conversation but DAAAAMMMIT  BOOOOOSK!!! :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #446 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:42 PM »
I'll just be like those Storm Troopers that were about to walk in on the scene I described and just...walk...away.  :lol

I really loved the humor in this movie a lot. Minimal but when done was funny and quick. I don't get why people didn't like the trash compactor joke from Han, I loved that as well. It wasn't out of character or random, it was in context to the scene and what they were doing, and was also in relation to the people (at least, in terms of alliances and faction) that more or less caused it to happen to him (indirectly by capturing Leia...a stretch, but still the same faction despite the name change).

RIP DTP.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #447 on: January 06, 2016, 07:57:32 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #448 on: January 06, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »
I liked the trash compactor line too.  Han found himself in circumstances oddly similar to some he'd been in before, and it's reasonable to think that his mind went there.  Trash compactor.  So he said it, even if only to be a smartass, because that's perfectly in character for him.  And it was funny.  No problem here.

As for Ren doing things that Yoda never could and therefore people can't deal with it, people need to deal with it.  Sure, midichlorians aren't a popular topic among hardcore fans, but they are canon, and Anakin's midichlorian count was off the charts, "higher even than Master Yoda's".  So it makes sense that his descendants could inherit the same natural abilities.  As others have pointed out, some train for years and never reach the higher levels, while others just have it naturally.  That's life.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #449 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:21 PM »

He would be forced to.

DID NO ONE ELSE CATCH THIS?  :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #450 on: January 06, 2016, 11:07:01 PM »
I did.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #451 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: January 07, 2016, 06:40:36 AM »
UR ALL JUS JEALOUSE

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #453 on: January 07, 2016, 11:27:57 AM »
Me during Han scene:

"Oh, he's going to kill Han, I know it. I see this coming. Yep, there he goes. Well, that was predictable. Now he's falling and it's like Aeris and Gandalf at the same time. This movie is so duBAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :'("

Also I thought for about half the movie that Kylo Ren was going to be Luke.

Great movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
Me during Han scene:
Now he's falling and it's like Aeris and Gandalf at the same time.

Han Solo was definitely an Ancient :neverusethis: