Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 59500 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »
One other thing, and forgive me if I missed another sign, but when Han died they flashed to Leia's reaction.  Isn't that the first hint that Leia might be force sensitive?  I was so immersed in the EU sometimes it's hard to keep everything straight :lol

Yeah, Leia was always force sensitive.

Right. At the end of Empire, Luke calls out to Leia with the force so she knows where to find him.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »
One other thing, and forgive me if I missed another sign, but when Han died they flashed to Leia's reaction.  Isn't that the first hint that Leia might be force sensitive?  I was so immersed in the EU sometimes it's hard to keep everything straight :lol

Yeah, Leia was always force sensitive.

Right. At the end of Empire, Luke calls out to Leia with the force so she knows where to find him.

Ahhh,, that's right, forgot about that!  My CRS is kicking in.  :hat

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: December 26, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »
We experienced this today...well, yesterday now. I really, really, hated all the previews and trailers! I nearly forgot what we went there to see.

Oh, yea! Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Oh, and boy did it awaken. After reading through this thread, I must say I agree with most of what has been said. (save 425, I just don't get what you're seeing...and yes, I own PT and watched them this week.). For me, the magic is back.

When we were leaving the theater, my son and I were discussing how cool we thought it was that they made Kylo seem so powerful at first, but as the movie progressed you began to realize that he was more of a crude, petulant, blunt instrument. One in serious need of sharpening. Even his mask was scary at first but reduced to juvenile mimicry, "Take off the mask, you don't need it." In essence, you start with Finn's frightened point of view and end up at a disappointed Han/father's point of view. Brilliant stuff, and the actor really pulls it off.

My boy, even said, "I've never seen anyone stop a blaster with the force." Then we went home and watched ESB...Vader stops several blaster shots. We both started laughing and Mrs. P asks what's so funny. Junior says, "It looks so much more impressive when Kylo does it."

Ahhh,, that's right, forgot about that!  My CRS is kicking in.  :hat

I've always understood that to be CMS.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #248 on: December 26, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »
My boy, even said, "I've never seen anyone stop a blaster with the force." Then we went home and watched ESB...Vader stops several blaster shots. We both started laughing and Mrs. P asks what's so funny. Junior says, "It looks so much more impressive when Kylo does it."

I think Vader either deflected it or just sent it in a different direction? But when Ren halted it completely in mid air....that was a pimp move. It really does show that he is certainly powerful, but like you said....the more you learn about him the more you see that he still has A LOT to learn.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2015, 04:47:38 PM »

I think Vader either deflected it or just sent it in a different direction? But when Ren halted it completely in mid air....that was a pimp move. It really does show that he is certainly powerful, but like you said....the more you learn about him the more you see that he still has A LOT to learn.

Doesn't Vader deflect that shot from Han Solo in Empire? When they're walking into a trap, the door opens and Han just blasts at Vader. I always thought that was a badass Han Solo moment, because he just draws his blaster and fires without any hesitation.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #250 on: December 26, 2015, 05:34:46 PM »
I loved when he pushed that hostile smuggler right into the jaws of that crazy alien. Han is not to be screwed with.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #251 on: December 26, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2015, 02:03:26 AM »
Seeing it for the second time in 3 hours. :)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »

Doesn't Vader deflect that shot from Han Solo in Empire? When they're walking into a trap, the door opens and Han just blasts at Vader. I always thought that was a badass Han Solo moment, because he just draws his blaster and fires without any hesitation.

Yes, I think Han fires off 3 quick shots and Vader puts up his palm and they disappear as they hit his palm. Like he's catching them...not deflecting. Then Han's weapon flies to Vader.

Gary, I'm guessing that if the visual technology would have been in place for Vader to stop blaster fire in mid-air, Kershner (or more probably Lucas as executive producer) would have used it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »
I don't know. It was entertaining, but nobody should get away with lazy writing. I'm surprised so many people liked it when it's just a regurgitation of past movies, plot devices, characters, landscapes, jokes, scenes, etc. They even went very far with the ridiculous idea of hey, yet another Death Star that is super powerful but gets destroyed by mini airships. I didn't even care about it because from the first time they introduced it I knew someone in an orange suit would destroy it.

I'm tempted to say that people like it just because it's Star Wars and it's cool to like something you waited for so long (the same reason that prompts people to "like" stuff they supported on Kickstarter, scalation of commitment), but after reading everybody's posts I think people really like the movie, which baffles me.

Serious question: can anybody mention 3 things in this movie that were original and had any bearing on the overall movie (i.e. not "hey the android is orange now!")?. I can't even come up with one. And before anybody yells "It didn't have to be original!!" I want to repeat that nobody should get away with such a lazy writing.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

mess around on this website for a day and realize nothing is original
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2015, 08:21:13 PM »
I don't know. It was entertaining, but nobody should get away with lazy writing. I'm surprised so many people liked it when it's just a regurgitation of past movies, plot devices, characters, landscapes, jokes, scenes, etc. They even went very far with the ridiculous idea of hey, yet another Death Star that is super powerful but gets destroyed by mini airships. I didn't even care about it because from the first time they introduced it I knew someone in an orange suit would destroy it.

I'm tempted to say that people like it just because it's Star Wars and it's cool to like something you waited for so long (the same reason that prompts people to "like" stuff they supported on Kickstarter, scalation of commitment), but after reading everybody's posts I think people really like the movie, which baffles me.

Serious question: can anybody mention 3 things in this movie that were original and had any bearing on the overall movie (i.e. not "hey the android is orange now!")?. I can't even come up with one. And before anybody yells "It didn't have to be original!!" I want to repeat that nobody should get away with such a lazy writing.

Yes....and they are ALL multi-layered characters.   This may be the best written, multi layered, character driven SW ever.   

Kylo Ren is very close to taking over Darth Vader as the best villain.     

Rey completely blows away Katniss and Ripley as the strongest female sci-fi/action lead in cinema history.   Not only stronger, but far deeper and better written.

Finn is another one with just a host of motivations and layers. 

I wouldn't have cared if the story had ripped off the originals even more than they did (and I really only thought it was a few "framework" items).   The characters absolutely carried this film. 

It's also Harrison's finest moment as Han.   His motivations for trying to reach out to Kylo are multi-layered as well.   Not just having to do with Ben being his son, but with Leia's request to try to save him.     Han *may* have known that reaching out was most likely going to cost him his life...but for the opportunity to save his son, and and bring him back as promised to the true love of his life, he was willing to go against the overwhelming odds one last time. 

Was Kylo truly conflicted?   Was his request for "help" a plea for redemption?  Or a rouse to get Han to buy in?   Or maybe even a sick and twisted request to have his own father HELP him in the action of killing himself to further add insult to injury?   

On top of that, there are so many places for this to go.  So many WONDERFUL story lines to explore. 

I could go on and on.   The reasons people love it were simply because it is the best writing and storytelling we've seen from the universe since ESB.   Easily.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
I'm tempted to say that people like it just because it's Star Wars and it's cool to like something you waited for so long

yeah, just like the prequel trilogy.  oh, wait . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2015, 09:58:57 PM »
To be fair, the presence of that bias is definitely present. The only argument is about the degree it's affect the public reception.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #259 on: December 28, 2015, 01:28:22 AM »
I don't know. It was entertaining, but nobody should get away with lazy writing. I'm surprised so many people liked it when it's just a regurgitation of past movies, plot devices, characters, landscapes, jokes, scenes, etc.

Well, Force Awakens ripped of A New Hope, A New Hope ripped of Hidden Fortress from Akira Kurosawa, Akira Kurosawa made some reinterpretations of plays by Shakespeare like King Lear and Macbeth so, it seems everyone ripped of someone  :P

But, seriously, i'm exaggerating things. Movies like A New Hope and Kurosawa's Ran, which was King Lear reinterpration, stands on their own.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #260 on: December 28, 2015, 06:32:11 AM »
In my opinion, while The Force Awakens certainly re-used a bunch of stuff from the original trilogy, it was still a great film because it felt very different from any other Star Wars movie. The pace was quicker, it had much more humor, the characters were deeper, and there were some original touches along the way. It was essentially two hours of fan service that JJ used to usher in a new generation of characters, which I thought worked great, because by the end of the film my nostalgia was satisfied and all I really cared about was what was going to happen to Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #261 on: December 28, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »

Yes....and they are ALL multi-layered characters.   This may be the best written, multi layered, character driven SW ever.   

Kylo Ren is very close to taking over Darth Vader as the best villain.     

Rey completely blows away Katniss and Ripley as the strongest female sci-fi/action lead in cinema history.   Not only stronger, but far deeper and better written.

Finn is another one with just a host of motivations and layers. 

I wouldn't have cared if the story had ripped off the originals even more than they did (and I really only thought it was a few "framework" items).   The characters absolutely carried this film. 

It's also Harrison's finest moment as Han.   His motivations for trying to reach out to Kylo are multi-layered as well.   Not just having to do with Ben being his son, but with Leia's request to try to save him.     Han *may* have known that reaching out was most likely going to cost him his life...but for the opportunity to save his son, and and bring him back as promised to the true love of his life, he was willing to go against the overwhelming odds one last time. 

Was Kylo truly conflicted?   Was his request for "help" a plea for redemption?  Or a rouse to get Han to buy in?   Or maybe even a sick and twisted request to have his own father HELP him in the action of killing himself to further add insult to injury?   

On top of that, there are so many places for this to go.  So many WONDERFUL story lines to explore. 

I could go on and on.   The reasons people love it were simply because it is the best writing and storytelling we've seen from the universe since ESB.   Easily.

I agree with this overall point.  The characters were very well done and carried the film.  But more to the point, I just don't see any "lazy writing" in The Force Awakens at all.  Whether fans may agree or disagree with some of the choices that were made, it seems very clear to me that this is a very well-crafted, well-written film.  Abrams and his team had a vision, and far from being lazy, they clearly carried out that vision with intent and purpose, and I feel that it, for the most part, really, really worked well.

Now let me disagree with one of your main points, J.D.  A couple of issues with the Rey
as the "strongest female sci-fi/action lead in cinema history" point. 

First, you and a few others have posted along the lines of "sci-fi/action has been in need of a true strong female lead, and we FINALLY got one."  (I have also seen articles along those lines)  I STRONGLY disagree, and I take exception to that.  In MOST genres, we just need good characters, period.  It shouldn't matter that they are female, or a minority, or whatever, as long as they are good characters.  The world isn't somehow a better place just because we have affirmative action in movie casting.  I don't see it is a moral victory that a great character is female.  Just give us good characters.  Also, we HAVE had good female characters in many genres, both as leads and in supporting roles.  I disagree with the notion that there has been a shortage.  Is it true that the majority have been in supporting roles rather than lead roles?  Yes.  But again I say, so what?  I don't feel that that should matter.  I don't need to have my particular demographic represented in order to have a fuller, deeper enjoyment of my cinematic experience.  (and thank goodness, since there aren't many middle-aged Ukranian Austrian Spaniards lighting up the silver screen last time I checked). 

Second, and as alluded to above, there have been strong female lead roles.  And while I think Rey is a very well-written character, I think at least one of the two you mentioned above surpass her, if not both of them.  Well, okay, maybe not Ripley.  Ellen Ripley is a good character.  But the more I think about it, she isn't a GREAT character.  We immediately sympathize with her because of the horror she lived through in the first film and the strength she showed, despite not having any formal combat training that we know of.  So we like her right off the bad despite that, when I really think about it, I have a difficult time pointing out anything that really makes her a very deep or complex character.  Then in #2, we fall deeper in love with her because she is a caring "mother figure," on one hand, while being completely hardcore on the other hand.  But she still isn't really deep or complex.  And maybe that's okay.  Katniss, on the other hand, is a very deep, complex, and well-written character.  I thought she was handled very well in the films, but even more so in the novels.  She has complex, well-written motivations, emotions, and background.  She is strong, yet vulnerable.  She is independent, yet a tool of the system.  Like her or hate her, I think she is more developed and complex in just the first film/book than Rey.  And that isn't a knock on Rey at all.  Just pointing out that there are some VERY well-done female characters in the genre that can easily compete with, if not surpass, Rey's character.

Sorry if that was unnecessarily long, but I have been stewing over this point for awhile and just got around to posting on the subject.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:01:31 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: December 28, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
I just saw the movie for the third time, and I absolutely love Rey. More than any other character ever? I don't know, I'm still in hype-mode. And it is only one movie. But I think it's possible for Rey, over the course of the whole new trilogy, to become one of my favorite fictional characters. The potential is certainly there, as she was the best part of this movie, and I can't quite remember when I was last this excited over a movie character.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #263 on: December 28, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »
Interestingly, as I think back on it, although I again feel the character development was easily the strongest of any of the SW films and really did a lot for this movie, I'm not really OVERLY enamored with any of the characters.  Not that I dislike them, but...I dunno.  :dunno: 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
I don't know, maybe it's just Sta Wars hype, but I am pumed for Rey. that sounded better in my head

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: December 28, 2015, 01:58:46 PM »
In my opinion, while The Force Awakens certainly re-used a bunch of stuff from the original trilogy, it was still a great film because it felt very different from any other Star Wars movie. The pace was quicker, it had much more humor, the characters were deeper, and there were some original touches along the way. It was essentially two hours of fan service that JJ used to usher in a new generation of characters, which I thought worked great, because by the end of the film my nostalgia was satisfied and all I really cared about was what was going to happen to Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren.

pretty much sums it up.

Using nostalgia and the same theme ALL Star Wars films have used isn't lazy writing, it was smart. Especially when Disney and Abrams knew full well they had to win back over a large population of fans after the debacle that was the Prequels. All in all....at the end of the day....that movie accomplished everything it should have....most importantly what TheOutlawXanadu says last "by the end of the film my nostalgia was satisfied and all I really cared about was what was going to happen to Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
I know a few people who use the "It was too similar to ANH" argument as a reason for not liking it, but that didn't bother me at all. To me those elements were clearly borrowed, but used in a refreshing way. Considering this functions both as a sequel and a reboot of the franchise, I think it was OK to borrow those elements. Plus, ANH is almost 40 years old. That's right, 40. With that in mind, it should bother people even less.

Overall I think Chris Stuckmann said it well. The OT was beloved by most people, the prequels get almost universal hate, and then people hate on TFA for being too close to the OT. Really?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: December 28, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »
I mean, I see the stuff it borrowed from ANH. I noticed it the first time I saw it. It never bothered me because it's a few overall plot points. Underneath those general things there's an entirely unique story happening, for the characters. It's not like Rey is a copy of Luke's character, and none of the characters' personal story is really all that similar to any in the original. That would have been a bad way to do it, but it didn't, so it's all good.

As I said before, just saw it for the third time, and loved it more an both the other times. It only gets better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:47 PM »
I know a few people who use the "It was too similar to ANH" argument as a reason for not liking it, but that didn't bother me at all. To me those elements were clearly borrowed, but used in a refreshing way. Considering this functions both as a sequel and a reboot of the franchise, I think it was OK to borrow those elements. Plus, ANH is almost 40 years old. That's right, 40. With that in mind, it should bother people even less.

Overall I think Chris Stuckmann said it well. The OT was beloved by most people, the prequels get almost universal hate, and then people hate on TFA for being too close to the OT. Really?

And we all know had Abrams decided NOT to use nostalgic imagery or 'themes' and branched off on his own.....the HATE he'd have gotten for not doing so would be ten times thicker than the spotty criticism he gets for the tributes to ANH. I think he took the correct road in that choice....

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
The only thing I will say is that if Episode VIII follows the blueprint of Episode V, it might start to bother me a bit, but I don't think that's what's going to happen. I think VIII is going to change things up.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #270 on: December 28, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »
The only thing I will say is that if Episode VIII follows the blueprint of Episode V, it might start to bother me a bit, but I don't think that's what's going to happen. I think VIII is going to change things up.

Well I think you might be disappointed.   It seems obvious in a 3 movie run that the bad guys will have a resurgence just like V.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #271 on: December 28, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
It's the Shattered Fortress of the Star Wars Universe.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #272 on: December 28, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »

Well I think you might be disappointed.   It seems obvious in a 3 movie run that the bad guys will have a resurgence just like V.

Likely, but that is pretty standard for a trilogy or 3-act play, etc.  I don't think that is what he means.

Correct.  It is THAT good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #273 on: December 28, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »

Correct.  It is THAT good.

LOL
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: December 28, 2015, 07:08:53 PM »
My three complaints about the film:

1. As a whole, the pacing was a bit too fast at the expense of proper storytelling.

2. Kylo Ren is not a good villain. Far from convincing, he comes across like a whiny teenager. This isn't at all what I was expecting based on his appearance.

3. The scene with Leia and Han talking about their son was awkward and poorly written. It didn't feel like a natural conversation; it felt like a lazy way to communicate information to the audience.

Other than that, as a very casual Star Wars fan, it was solid. I mostly enjoyed it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
I mean, I see the stuff it borrowed from ANH. I noticed it the first time I saw it. It never bothered me because it's a few overall plot points. Underneath those general things there's an entirely unique story happening, for the characters. It's not like Rey is a copy of Luke's character, and none of the characters' personal story is really all that similar to any in the original. That would have been a bad way to do it, but it didn't, so it's all good.

As I said before, just saw it for the third time, and loved it more an both the other times. It only gets better.

Completely this...

And Gadough... give Rylo a chance to sink in.   This is *NOT* Anakin, but it is Anakin the way it should have been. 

For me, Rylo was an extreme left turn from everything I was expecting.  I really didn't like it at first either.   Taking off the mask was just a HUGE WTF for me.   But the more three-dimensional I noticed the character to be, his motivations and age and actions all dovetailing with who he was.   His conflict, his anger.    And I didn't hear any of Anakin's "whinyness" at all.    It was just the angry, rebellious young man who is pissed off at the world, and resentful of his father (like many men his age are) and he's acting out.      Kindof reminds me of when I ran away from home, and the first thing I did was go out and buy Venom's "Possessed" because it was the most evil looking thing I could find in the record store.   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:07 PM »
Second viewing with my sis was a lot better than the first for me. I love the homages to the past films and people saying that it's taking the OT and basically churning it out with a new coat of paint are full of it. But hey, that's just like, my opinion, man. It's a great balance of "this was our past and we're acknowledging it", and "here is where we're taking the franchise from here on out and these are our players". Absolutely pidgeonholed a few things from multiple OT films but the drama queens blowing it out of proportion are making mountains of mole hills. Great start to a new trilogy. I'll echo the enjoyment of the characters. While I liked a lot of the scenery they did show, I can definitely see where Gadough is coming from in that a lot of it felt rushed. I'd have loved to see more of the planets they traversed and that bar scene with Maz (sp?) begged to be slowed down to get a nice view of all the goobers in it. I also felt like the massive win from exploding the SUPERGUNPLANET was just kind of mulled over like "kdone". Literally took a couple minutes for the entire 'battle' to go down and then boom, okay back to the real light saber action.

All in all, definitely a massive amount of room to improve but it was a fun movie. The first time I nodded off halfway, so that might be why I really enjoyed it this time.  :lol Taking the kiddos was mainly for them initially and now I got to actually watch it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: December 28, 2015, 11:06:19 PM »
2. Kylo Ren is not a good villain. Far from convincing, he comes across like a whiny teenager. This isn't at all what I was expecting based on his appearance.

No way man. He was an awesome villain. If anything it sounds like you're judging him on what you were expecting and not judging him as a character alone.

I think Episode 8 will mirror Empire in the sense that it will be the darkest in the trilogy and really build up the conflict much more, but I hope we don't get any shoved in nods to Empire, like Luke telling Rey "I am your father" or anything like that.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »
Kylo Ren is just behind Rey as my favorite character. He was awesome both pre-mask-removal and post-mask-removal.

Offline adace

« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2015, 04:08:29 AM »
Just saw it for the first time and while it was overall awesome, there are so many things that go unexplained that I'll have to wait until episodes 8 and 9 and/or future novels to fully appreciate it.

A few of them are:
1. Kylo Ren's background/motivation to join the dark side
2. What does Kylo Ren ultimately want with Luke? Why is Luke so important that the First Order is willing to devote massive amounts of resources to finding him?
3. Who/what is Snoke and how did he become the leader of the First Order?
4. How did the First Order arise from the ashes of the Empire?
5. How was Starkiller Base built?
6. Rey's background and her connection, if there is one, to Luke
7. Why did R2D2 wake up all of a sudden and how did it have the missing piece of the map to find Luke? I would think that Luke wouldn't have told anyone where he was not even R2D2.
8. Where did C-3PO come from all of a sudden? Why does he have a red arm?
9. What's the story behind Lor San Tekka (the village elder)? How did he acquire the map?
9. And of course: do Kylo Ren and Han actually survive? (Well probably not Han but Kylo Ren definitely stands a chance.)

As far as the heroes go, I think Rey is a great character and is extremely well-written/acted but my favorite new character is definitely Finn. He's a pretty radical innovation in the SW universe actually because the original trilogy presents stormtroopers as essentially mindless drones whereas obviously has a mind of his own. I do think that his conversion was a bit rushed but that's understandable given the amount of time needed to tackle the larger plot points. Finn is really bold, cocky and overall fun - just the kind of character needed to reinvigorate the franchise.

What I really like about Rey though besides her personality itself is her potential. She was able to resist Kylo Ren even when he was using maximum Force power, which is pretty damn impressive. She might just surpass Luke in terms of ability.

As far as Kylo Ren goes, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand with his mask on he's a new brand of evil that arguably surpasses Vader. On the other hand without his mask he strikes me as an immature guy (barely more than a boy) who throws temper tantrums and hates his dad and uncle. I guess we'll have to see how his character develops in the the following (assuming he survives). Most of the time though I felt he was just as strong a villain as Vader, and the bridge scene was a pretty original twist on the Luke-Vader father scene.

My biggest gripe though was the ending. Seriously, Luke doesn't say a single word? It should have at least shown if he accepted his lightsaber back or not, imo. That was one hell of a cliffhanger and it'll be hard to wait two years to see what happens next.

Overall, this is a great addition to the canon and tastefully borrows elements from the original trilogy. I think this film was mainly meant to sort of refresh our memories about the original trilogy and explain it to people who aren't that familiar with the Star Wars universe even while it's gradually pointing the series in a new direction. As important as this film is, I think episodes 8 and 9 will really be the ones that determine the fate of Star Wars as a whole. Those films will definitely need to answer some of the questions from this film and incorporate a lot more new elements than this one had to really progress the series.

Oh and needless to say, this was definitely way better than the prequels.

On a last side note, I wonder if there'll be any tie-ins between this film and Rogue One. All I can think of is that Rogue One might hint at some early plans for Starkiller Base or show the beginnings of the First Order possibly as some sort of contingency plan for if/when the Empire falls. Any other theories? In any case, it'll be pretty interesting to see the first Star Wars spinoff film.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:29:53 AM by adace »