Author Topic: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*  (Read 59485 times)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
Re: Star Wars, The Force Awakens -- *SPOILERS*
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Well I've seen it now, and besides the similarities to ANH and the death star. I was pleasantly surprised!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2015, 08:37:34 PM »
Saw it today in IMAX.  It's funny, I expected too be mildly disappointed after the build up, boy was I wrong!  What an awesome, entertaining movie.  There were just so many things that seemed so much better to me than either the OT or the PT.  First and foremost, the writing and acting were just light years better.  The special effects were great, a good blend of CGI and non CGI.  I liked the little things, like how all the blasters just really seemed to pack a serious punch comparatively to all the past movies.  Loved it when Han fired chewies wep for the first time!!  Like others, I loved BB-8, the thumbs up thing was a frikken crack up.  Like Chad or someone just mentioned...the timing of the suns extinguishment just seconds before Hans death...wow. I remember thinking at that moment...Ren embracing the darkness.  Even though I could see it coming a million miles away... I jumped in my seat when he put his lightsaber through Han... and yes Im not ashamed to say, there were even a couple tears.  There were many moments during the film that I was seriously on the edge of my seat....  Bravo JJ!  I went with my 79 year old Dad, and had an awesome time.  He also really enjoyed it.  I was 13 in '77 for ANH and I have to say...for me.. the magic is back.

I'm sure I'll see it at least twice more in the theater.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:00:05 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2015, 10:14:36 PM »
I wish they had IMAX that wasn't in 3D. :(

Do they use the standard polarized glasses? You could always buy/make yourself a pair of 2D glasses to watch it in 2D if you really want the benefit of the bigger screen.

True, but it's not the 3D that bothers me; it's the glasses.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2015, 10:23:34 PM »
I wish they had IMAX that wasn't in 3D. :(

Do they use the standard polarized glasses? You could always buy/make yourself a pair of 2D glasses to watch it in 2D if you really want the benefit of the bigger screen.

True, but it's not the 3D that bothers me; it's the glasses.  :lol

Oh. Scrap that idea then. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online faizoff

« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2015, 11:37:52 PM »
Saw it again today with the wife and I loved it even more. I remember thinking on first viewing that Adam Driver was good, but now I think his portrayal was excellent. I also get the feeling now that Rey and Ren might be siblings rather than Rey being Luke's daughter.  Something about Leia and Han solo's interaction with her sorta nudges my thought on that. The next episode cannot come out any sooner.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #215 on: December 24, 2015, 12:05:10 AM »
I've saw the movie a couple days ago, and I wanted everything to sink in before I posted anything. I had to process what happened after Han was killed because it's HAN. By far the most gut wrenching moment in Star Wars history. I understand why they had to do it.

That being said, The Force Awakens was FANFUCKINGTASTIC!!! I love the new cast. Kylo Ren. Rey. Finn. and motherfucking Poe HOT DAMNeron. Loved BB8 as well. That's how you create a cute funny character without it becoming Jar Jar Binks.

Fuck yes, this movie. It had the magic of what I loved about the original trilogy that George Lucas couldn't replicate in his prequel trilogy.

I love the bromance between Finn and Poe. I loved the moment Rey summoned over the lightsaber. I loved the X-Wings attacking. I fucking loved it all.

ADAM DRIVER AS KYLO REN IS HOW I WANTED ANAKIN SKYWALKER TO BE PORTRAYED.

I can't wait for my second viewing. I haven't been able to stop thinking about The Force Awakens since I saw it a few days ago.

Star Wars is back!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #216 on: December 24, 2015, 12:46:30 AM »
Needing this movie on bluray asap.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #217 on: December 24, 2015, 05:36:55 AM »
What's with people not knowing how to spell Leia?

It sounds the same in my head.... :biggrin:

It sure does, Gairee.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #218 on: December 24, 2015, 06:16:45 AM »
Since the first trailer, I kind of felt that Finn may be Lando's son. After seeing the movie, I kind of want him to just be some guy

But regardless, there were two points in the movie that kind of stood out:

1. Maz looks into his eyes and seems to recognize his heritage. She's all like "I've seen eyes like this before, the eyes of someone who runs" or something like that

2. Chewie chokes him very similar to how Lando was choked and makes the same kind of voice lando did (But this may have just been a fanservice, call back kind of thing)

Ultimately, I would rather him just been a guy.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 06:22:51 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: December 24, 2015, 07:01:46 AM »
I would also want him to just be a random guy. If it had anything to do with Lando it would be too much with the family relations everywhere.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »
Relevant:

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
^^^  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »
Do you think Kylo Ren will have the mask in the next film? I only ask because I don't think there's any way if he does that it's the 'same' mask. He dropped it on the bridge right before murdering Solo....then, after getting shot by Chewbacca he starts to walk towards them a good few steps leaving the mask behind.

He's in the forest, fighting Rey and Finn maskless....then, the planet implodes. Don't see how the 'old' mask is recovered.

Silly observation but that mask is destroyed right now. If he does have one in the next movie....it'd have to be a new one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »
I was thinking about that too. He may very well go maskless in episode VIII and since he has that battle wound now, he might either try and cover it up with something new or just walk around like "look at my badass scar". I'm curious to see what they do.

and not only that, but his treasured Darth Vader mask/helmet may have been destroyed as well.

One thing I am curious about is whether or not Luke was stranded on that planet or stayed for so long by choice. Like he went to investigate the planet and his ship or whatever got damaged. I just don't see him leaving Rey on Jakku for so long unless something was stopping him, but who knows.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »
Was the Vader mask on the Starkiller base or the Star Destroyer??  I'm trying to remember, but I thought the Destroyer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
Guy, guys.  He probably had Alfred order 1000 masks from China to not draw attention to himself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
I'm finding it comical and kind of sad that there are a lot of people on the internet already bitching about the possibility/probability that Rey is Luke's daughter calling it lazy story telling. I just really hate the internet some times.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »
Was the Vader mask on the Starkiller base or the Star Destroyer??  I'm trying to remember, but I thought the Destroyer.

Oh yeah, good call. I forgot about that. It was in his chambers on the star destroyer.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »
Do you think Kylo Ren will have the mask in the next film? I only ask because I don't think there's any way if he does that it's the 'same' mask. He dropped it on the bridge right before murdering Solo....then, after getting shot by Chewbacca he starts to walk towards them a good few steps leaving the mask behind.

He's in the forest, fighting Rey and Finn maskless....then, the planet implodes. Don't see how the 'old' mask is recovered.

Silly observation but that mask is destroyed right now. If he does have one in the next movie....it'd have to be a new one.

Yes.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: December 24, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »
One thing I am curious about is whether or not Luke was stranded on that planet or stayed for so long by choice. Like he went to investigate the planet and his ship or whatever got damaged. I just don't see him leaving Rey on Jakku for so long unless something was stopping him, but who knows.

Well...they said he set off to find the first Jedi temple.....looks like he found it. I'd say he was there intentionally, probably just waiting for Rey.....something I'm sure he forseen.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: December 24, 2015, 02:33:38 PM »
Is it necessary for them to reveal Rey's lineage in the next film? Would it be 'bad form' to hold off until the finale of the NT to reveal that or is it something that 'has' to be done next film? I suppose it depends on the story they are telling, but I was just thinking that it's such a major question...they HAVE to address it in the next film. But, what if they don't and they let it ride until the third movie?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: December 24, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
Side note......ever since my kids saw the movie my little guy is stretching his hand towards everyone's head and trying to 'tell' us what we are thinking about  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: December 24, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »
Awesome  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #233 on: December 24, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Is it necessary for them to reveal Rey's lineage in the next film? Would it be 'bad form' to hold off until the finale of the NT to reveal that or is it something that 'has' to be done next film? I suppose it depends on the story they are telling, but I was just thinking that it's such a major question...they HAVE to address it in the next film. But, what if they don't and they let it ride until the third movie?

Now that she's met Leia and Luke and Kylo, I think it almost has to be revealed in the next movie if she is related to any of them. I'm sure they've still got plenty else to reveal in future, and I think her lineage is an important one to deal with in the next movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »

Perhaps they are shadowing the Luke/Leia familial reveal, so it'd be film 3.

Then again, maybe they're shadowing the Luke/Darth reveal...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
I hope they won't treat it as this massive twist since pretty much everyone has guessed it already.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »
It just occurred to me.   Since everyone thought Luke Skywalker and the Jedi were "a myth"...might it stand to reason that THEY don't know that Vader is Luke's father?   That would be an interesting plotline as the story unfolds.   Even though we know, we get to relive it by seeing the new characters reaction to the revelation.   Sortof like when you're watching your kid see it for the first time. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »
I think her lineage will be revealed in the next one.  The one thing about the possible family dynamic is it seemed so odd to me the way Leia embraced and bonded with this completely strange girl, like Leia KNEW her.  Yet when Han first met her he didn't really react to her in a familiar way. So, if she's Luke's daughter, maybe Leia knew and Han didn't? 

One other thing, and forgive me if I missed another sign, but when Han died they flashed to Leia's reaction.  Isn't that the first hint that Leia might be force sensitive?  I was so immersed in the EU sometimes it's hard to keep everything straight :lol

**EDIT - Oh yeah!  Did anyone else notice that the speech Luke gives in the very first trailer, was not in the movie?  The one about the force being strong in his family...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:11:06 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »
Wasn't that just taken from Jedi?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #239 on: December 24, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2015, 09:50:42 PM »
Regarding Vader and the lineage... why, after ROTJ, would Luke or Leia go around advertising that they were the children of Vader.  Theoretically, only them, Vader and Palpatine knew.  If it was you, would YOU want to tell anyone you were satan's spawn?  It's been suggested that the expanded story for TFA reveals that Snoke knows, and that's how Kylo Ren was told.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: December 24, 2015, 11:13:50 PM »
This was a fun watch. It's Carrie Fischer, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley (and David Beckam/ Kylie Monogue) on the Graham Norton Show.

https://youtu.be/GVB4ghl0mJo

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: December 25, 2015, 02:54:08 AM »
One other thing, and forgive me if I missed another sign, but when Han died they flashed to Leia's reaction.  Isn't that the first hint that Leia might be force sensitive?  I was so immersed in the EU sometimes it's hard to keep everything straight :lol

Yeah, Leia was always force sensitive.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #243 on: December 25, 2015, 07:33:31 AM »
Saw it yesterday. I always try to avoid spoilers so I had no idea Han was going to be killed, and I was definitely moved. Haven't seen much sympathy for Chewie around here, who lost his life-long friend.

Overall a great effort, but it seems Abrams can't help but copy what came before no matter which "Star" series he's involved with.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 25, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »
Haven't seen much sympathy for Chewie around here, who lost his life-long friend.

Good point....Chewbacca's kind of lost in the mix of it all. He'll be fine, he's got a hot new Pilot to take care of him  :tup

Overall a great effort, but it seems Abrams can't help but copy what came before no matter which "Star" series he's involved with.

I don't think that's a fair statement towards Abrams. He was tasked with reviving a franchise that had taken several black eyes over what most critics and fans thought were utter failures that were the prequels. The similarity in story and the 'throwbacks' were very smart IMO as it secured me (and probably countless others) as a fan and guaranteed I'll be watching the rest of the trilogy because I now 'care' what happens to Rey and Finn. They way he developed those characters and 'gave' them to us was not a 'copy' by any means....in fact, I'd say it was done better than the presentation of Luke and the gang back in the day. Ridley and Boyega did a great job in acting and the throwback style of filming with more physical props and less CGI gave the entire film that breath of fresh air the series needed.