Author Topic: The EXPANSE  (Read 26705 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The EXPANSE
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2020, 04:10:42 PM »
And bummed that a certain character is dead.

No kidding. That was shocking......just out of nowhere.

Who’s the chic Amos is visiting in prison? I’m drawing a blank if it’s someone who’s been introduced already.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »
Julie Mao's sister. She was one of the main protagonist in season 3.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2020, 06:06:03 PM »

That’s right....now I remember. Thanks!  :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
I just binged season 3 and 4 in like 3 days so I'm quite aware of the characters.  ;D

This show is really top-notch with each subsequent season and grows larger in scale of production and story. Really gripping, I'm so glad I was able to binge the season and this wait for a new episode between weeks is agonizing esp after the last one.

I also like how the plots are structured each season, with season 4 I particularly loved the side plot with the infection and how it got resolved. Several little things like that makes it so appealing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2020, 02:46:54 PM »

That’s right....now I remember. Thanks!  :tup
Yeah, it always seemed like her story would come back so I'm glad it seems to be doing so.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2020, 09:16:21 AM »
Caught up with episode 4 this morning.

Holy crap, this show continues to be excellent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2020, 02:04:37 AM »
Just started season 1 a few days back. Only 4 episodes in but liking it a lot so far.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2020, 09:48:08 PM »
Season 5 Episode 5 was great! a bit scaled back from the previous episode but still such an entertaining ride. I love the duo of Amos and Peaches.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2020, 09:57:30 PM »
Season 5 Episode 5 was great! a bit scaled back from the previous episode but still such an entertaining ride. I love the duo of Amos and Peaches.

Yeah. I felt this way about Mr. Robot. There’s just not much else you can say other than this show is just really freaking good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2020, 07:05:24 AM »
Episode 5: another great episode.  This show delivers much better than the Post Office.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2020, 09:07:08 AM »
I just love Amos lowkey humor.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »

Amos is a great character.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2020, 11:17:16 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:07 AM »
Another good episode.  SHOCKER

Offline faizoff

« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »
I love how much character development they're giving Amos this season so far. His scenes with Peaches are the highlight this season for me. This episode was very character driven and is what I love most about any show when they focus on those.  Drummer, Amos and Bobby are probably my favorite characters on the show and this episode had great scenes with them. I like how Holden is taking more of a back seat role this season by the looks of it so far. He was center stage for season 4 and it was probably his best.

Very curious on this Drummer - Marco trade and setup. Just four more episodes now.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »

Amos is a great character.

If you haven't already watched it, Amos aka Wes Chatham hosts an aftershow on the Amazon Prime youtube channel and brings on some of the cast, writers, creators and directors on it. I haven't watched a lot but some of them are really fun.

The last episode had Drummer and Marco on.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2021, 01:19:49 PM »
Drummer, Amos and Bobby are probably my favorite characters on the show and this episode had great scenes with them.
Fuck yeah, mine too!

The very end of this episode was a great moment. All the stuff that Amos has been going through this season, and then doing what he needed to survive in this episode - it all felt natural and reasonable. But then when Clarissa/Peaches challenged him on it, I really liked how his immediate reaction was "What would Holden do?" as Holden has become his barometer for what a good person is. And then realising that he needs to get back to his crew - I took that as essentially feeling like he needs to get back to his moral compass.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2021, 04:46:29 PM »
Drummer, Amos and Bobby are probably my favorite characters on the show and this episode had great scenes with them.
Fuck yeah, mine too!

The very end of this episode was a great moment. All the stuff that Amos has been going through this season, and then doing what he needed to survive in this episode - it all felt natural and reasonable. But then when Clarissa/Peaches challenged him on it, I really liked how his immediate reaction was "What would Holden do?" as Holden has become his barometer for what a good person is. And then realising that he needs to get back to his crew - I took that as essentially feeling like he needs to get back to his moral compass.

Yeah. That was awesome. His self awareness there was powerful.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2021, 06:59:26 AM »
Another character driven episode, however a couple of the space battle scenes were amazing. The SFX on this show is always so amazing. Only wish for the episode was they had some Amos and Drummer in it but really not complaining..

This episode was all about the family Marco, Philip and Naomi and man was it good. Of course they had to end the episode with a cliffhanger. Setting up for some real epic showdowns.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2021, 08:26:05 AM »
Another character driven episode, however a couple of the space battle scenes were amazing. The SFX on this show is always so amazing. Only wish for the episode was they had some Amos and Drummer in it but really not complaining..

This episode was all about the family Marco, Philip and Naomi and man was it good. Of course they had to end the episode with a cliffhanger. Setting up for some real epic showdowns.

Yep. Another solid episode. You have to think that Philip is going to eventually be the one to take down Marco but who knows? That battle scene was pretty cool....and as you said, the SFX on the show remain some of if not the best space SFX out there for a show, much less a blockbuster movie.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »

Yep. Another solid episode. You have to think that Philip is going to eventually be the one to take down Marco but who knows? That battle scene was pretty cool....and as you said, the SFX on the show remain some of if not the best space SFX out there for a show, much less a blockbuster movie.
Yea it really is great quality for being a TV-show. I'm not sure what kind of budget this show has but I can't imagine it's THAT crazy which makes it even more impressive I feel.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2021, 08:31:20 PM »
Have to say I was not expecting pissing buddies to be that literal. I could use more of these episodes to be honest. It gives so much depth and background and whatever happens in the next two episodes, I'm sure it would have earned it because of the character driven episodes. Down to the final two.

Oh and Naomi was great.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2021, 04:58:49 PM »
Have to say I was not expecting pissing buddies to be that literal. I could use more of these episodes to be honest. It gives so much depth and background and whatever happens in the next two episodes, I'm sure it would have earned it because of the character driven episodes. Down to the final two.

Oh and Naomi was great.

It speaks volumes about a show when your 'main' character (Holden) has had all of a total of maybe 15 minutes on screen so far this season and yet the ancillary characters manage to capture the spirit and vibe of the show and keep it interesting and moving forward.

Not that I think the others aren't 'main' characters but for quite some time Holden has been 'the' character that the show seems to center on....until this season where he's taken a back seat and these other characters are really driving the show.....in a good way.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2021, 05:50:58 PM »
Yeah I'm loving the fact that they put Holden on the back seat this season. He was upfront all of last season and I thought it was his character's best, but they've really struck the balance this time round with the other characters pushing them more in the center of the action. I'm all for it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »
Gotta say, and I'm a huge fan, that wasn't my favorite episode.  Kinda slow and they really dragged out the whole Naiomi scenario.  Still loving the season so far.  In all fairness, most or the Marco storyline in the books wasn't my favorite either.  Except when he tossed the rocks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »
Great episode again, so much going on this episode it seemed. The way this season has been paced though I do think it should've been longer because there are so many character driven episodes and they've given a lot of backstory and depth to some of the side characters that it feels it could easily have been 13 episodes or more. I get the sense that the finale will leave a lot of stuff hanging and it will continue right into season six. Either way I'm eagerly awaiting the season finale.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2021, 08:33:50 AM »
Can't wait to see how they round this season out. I agree that there seems to be too many storylines going on for them to be able to tidy them up in one final episode.....seems to me they'll certainly carry over.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2021, 09:09:23 AM »
Can't wait to see how they round this season out. I agree that there seems to be too many storylines going on for them to be able to tidy them up in one final episode.....seems to me they'll certainly carry over.

I think it's a given at this point. My theory is that season 5 & 6 are to be closely tied together which 6 will then close out all major arcs with Marco and then end with an epilogue of sorts.
If I read correctly, season 6 and its equivalent book ends conclusively and the next book(s) start the timeline 30 years into the future. The status of the show being that it is ending with season 6 or on pause (who knows?) might allow for it to end on a high note next season.

Also apart from season 4 which was self-contained, each season prior has sorta spilled over to the next.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2021, 10:31:49 AM »

I think it's a given at this point. My theory is that season 5 & 6 are to be closely tied together which 6 will then close out all major arcs with Marco and then end with an epilogue of sorts.
If I read correctly, season 6 and its equivalent book ends conclusively and the next book(s) start the timeline 30 years into the future. The status of the show being that it is ending with season 6 or on pause (who knows?) might allow for it to end on a high note next season.

Also apart from season 4 which was self-contained, each season prior has sorta spilled over to the next.

Very true. I can't imagine that this show will disappoint with how they end things. I have read that it's not 'cancelled' per say after S6....only that...as you stated....with the way the books are written they are taking an undetermined amount of time off from the show. That'd be neat for them to revisit the show in a few years to start back up 30 years later....but if they don't then oh well.

I think once the show is over I'll actually read the book series.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2021, 10:53:06 AM »

I think once the show is over I'll actually read the book series.

Same here, I think there is only one book left to be released, I plan on reading them all once done.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2021, 11:39:52 AM »
Think of season five as "how we got here", and season six as "what we do about it." That is, if it stays true to the books which it certainly appears to be true. It's more than a setup season, because of the growth and progression of characters, but probably won't leave folks satisfied, IMO.

As far as reading the books, I recommend them highly but they really don't tell a different story than the show. Sure, you get some individual book characters who are kinda smooshed into one show character, but essential the story is identical. I don't see that as a bad thing, but if your expectation is get a lot more detail, and exposition from the books (say like with Song of Ice and Fire compared to GoT) you might be disappointed. The one exception, for me anyway, is the novella The Churn. If you want to know bunch more about Amos/Timmy then you should get it right away. It's inexpensive, a short read, and super good.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »
That's good to know, I'm perfectly fine if the finale is going the way of the last few episodes as they've been the most character-driven episodes of the show yet and I've loved every bit of it no matter how slow they've been. It does make sense if the show is coming to a conclusion next season to set up all the arcs now.

I think I will still read the books and all the little short novels that are out.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2021, 12:06:24 PM »
 :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2021, 08:47:48 PM »
Goddamn was there a lot to unpack that finale esp in the last 10 mins. I was dreading they would end the season with me wanting more, such a tease! I think all in all that episode had a ton of stuff packed in, it might have been the most unevenly paced episode with way too much going on when compared to the previous slow burn episodes. So many good things, going to have to mull it over...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2021, 08:55:10 PM »
I enjoyed it but I think the exit of Kamal’s character seemed a bit patched in. Understandable, but I wish circumstances would have given them a better out. Too bad.

The rest of the episode was awesome and what I expected.