Author Topic: The EXPANSE  (Read 26763 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: The EXPANSE
« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2021, 10:35:45 PM »
What a kickass 2nd episode. The opening scenes are certainly intriguing, wonder how it will tie up to the main plot. Reminds me of what Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul did in the setups for the season. Also really enjoying the bonus mini episodes on Prime X-ray.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #211 on: December 19, 2021, 12:13:37 PM »
I resumed watching this show and Sense8 a couple of weeks ago..

I got so consumed by Sense8, i've put The Expanse on hold until I'm finished with Sense8 (it also didn't help with both the new Matrix movie and news of the Babylon 5 reboot).

I will say, the 3 episodes in the 2nd season I've watched, i'm starting to warm up a little to the story, politics, social conflicts more and the characters. I am still down a bit about the fact the Miller character eventually leaves the show, but I assume despite that, the show gets good enough, it doesn't matter.

I'm on episode 18 of Sense8 and it only goes 24 episodes (23, and then 1-year later they made a 2-hour special series finale). So likely in the next week or 2, I'll finish it up and then intend to start binging The Expanse at that point, and hopefully can catch up before Season 6 is concluded its initial uploads, whenver that is? January? February?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #212 on: December 19, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »
What a kickass 2nd episode. The opening scenes are certainly intriguing, wonder how it will tie up to the main plot. Reminds me of what Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul did in the setups for the season. Also really enjoying the bonus mini episodes on Prime X-ray.

Yep. very curious as to how that will tie into the story....especially with only four episodes left.

The show continues to be pretty great....never disappointed with it. Sad it's coming to an end but glad it's been a heck of a series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2021, 12:18:23 AM »
The guy playing Marco is so good. The way he's kind of trembling with his own magnificence is great. And the heavy accent too. Could be way too hammy but he's great to watch.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2021, 09:41:50 AM »
First two episodes of the season have been really nice.

Hard to believe there are only 4 episodes left.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #215 on: December 26, 2021, 09:45:23 AM »
So I watched the third episode of season 6 last night. This season is moving a lot slower than I expected. We're halfway through, and there seems like a lot to go. I keep thinking that Philip will turn on Marco, but then something happens to make me doubt it. One thing is clear, Marco does not care about his people at all. He proved that last in this episode. He's just a full on wannabe dictator.

Also wondering what the endgame is with this ongoing story that opens each episode.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »
Loved the third episode.

Hated that Holden disarmed the missile.  Fuck that kid.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2021, 01:50:28 PM »
Loved the third episode.

I thought it was brilliant for a couple of reasons...not the least because now Inaros is a failure instead of a martyr!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
Loved the third episode.

I thought it was brilliant for a couple of reasons...not the least because now Inaros is a failure instead of a martyr!
I know, I get that, but fuck that kid.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2021, 02:03:50 PM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2021, 10:44:37 PM »
Shit what an awful way to leave us hanging with that opening sequence! though I think I know where it's heading. The spaceship dogfights have been really entertaining, probably gearing up for another one with Drummer next episode.

Edit: That mini bonus episode was excellent as well, love these little interactions.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:02:33 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
Episode 4 out now, served as a stop gap episode I'm assuming for the last two. A lot of conversation revolving the previous episode's actions. I'll admit I have no clue how things are going to go down even with just two more episodes remaining, at times it seems like a lot more ground needs to be covered, at times it doesn't. I'm confident they'll be able to wrap this up. Fingers crossed.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2022, 10:56:03 AM »
I'm going to give this another try. Watched the first 2 episodes sans distractions, and I think I may finally be into it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2022, 12:35:59 PM »
I'm going to give this another try. Watched the first 2 episodes sans distractions, and I think I may finally be into it.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed RJ. It’s a really well done show. I think I you’ll be pleasantly surprised with it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2022, 02:19:10 PM »

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed RJ. It’s a really well done show. I think I you’ll be pleasantly surprised with it.

Ep7 now... I'm all in  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2022, 03:00:52 PM »

Nice! I’m super jealous! It’s such a fun ride!

Ep7 now... I'm all in  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2022, 08:26:01 PM »
God this show is intense. I'm at the part where Eros just moved out of the way of the Navou colliding with it. Wtaf?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2022, 08:47:56 PM »
One more episode left for the series to end, interesting setup and am very curious about the overall tie-in of the opening story arc. The bonus episode had a nice throwback to Holden's backstory.

I think the series finale is the only extended episode around 1 1/2 hrs. Should be a fun ride.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2022, 10:41:42 PM »
Yikes...better check out of this thread till I'm caught up...at the end of S2 now...see you all in a month or so

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2022, 05:34:57 AM »
One more episode left for the series to end, interesting setup and am very curious about the overall tie-in of the opening story arc. The bonus episode had a nice throwback to Holden's backstory.

I think the series finale is the only extended episode around 1 1/2 hrs. Should be a fun ride.

I wouldn't expect a tie-in at all. The Pet Sematary story is its own thing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2022, 07:50:25 PM »
Season 3, episode 12. Still excellent.

I'm falling really hard for Drummer.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2022, 08:11:36 PM »

She's one of the best characters in that show. She, Bobby, and Amos are probably my top 3 favorites.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2022, 08:16:49 PM »

She's one of the best characters in that show. She, Bobby, and Amos are probably my top 3 favorites.

Actually really fond of Chrisjen as well. That was one hell of a finish to season 3, great midpoint for the series overall. Hoping to be caught up in 2 weeks or so. This is getting close to Battlestar level of amazing

Offline faizoff

« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2022, 08:20:31 PM »
Season 3 finale, if you can't tell sorta ends like a series finale. Reason for that was they got cancelled by SyFy and had no idea if the show would get picked up. Amazon came to their rescue and gave 3 more seasons. Though they did shorten season 6 to just 6 episodes.

Edit: seems like a few words got chopped.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 08:25:34 PM by faizoff »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2022, 08:24:35 PM »
Ahhhhhh, that explains a lot.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2022, 08:54:56 PM »

Actually really fond of Chrisjen as well. That was one hell of a finish to season 3, great midpoint for the series overall. Hoping to be caught up in 2 weeks or so. This is getting close to Battlestar level of amazing

I had a hunch you’d dig it. It’s so well done and the story just continues to grow……great character development and the production is top notch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2022, 08:56:30 PM »
Season 3 finale, if you can't tell sorta ends like a series finale. Reason for that was they got cancelled by SyFy and had no idea if the show would get picked up. Amazon came to their rescue and gave 3 more seasons. Though they did shorten season 6 to just 6 episodes.

Edit: seems like a few words got chopped.

Which is baffling because it was SyFy’s top rated show…..I think ever at the time.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2022, 09:09:22 PM »
Yeah it's rough when that happens. I think it has happened to other shows mostly Netflix ones. They become too expensive to justify continuing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2022, 06:26:52 PM »
Perfect! Absolutely perfect. I can’t believe they told the story so completely in just 6 episodes and I even threw in the strange dog’s novella to boot. I’m in awe!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2022, 07:45:15 PM »
Nice way to end the series.  Can someone remind me about the ring activation again? is that the same thing that happens in the finale of season 5 with the ship that goes in the ring?

I will need to do a rewatch of the series, it's so dense with things I haven't fully connected. It should be a very fun rewatch. I really hope they get a chance to make the rest of the series. If not then I can live with this being the final end for the show. I'll just pick up the books at some point and go from there.

Edit: Also what's happening with the ring during the end credits?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 07:52:40 PM by faizoff »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2022, 06:46:39 AM »
Excellent ending to a fantastic series! Honestly, EXPANSE is up there with shows like Mr. Robot, Travelers, Mr. In Between, Breaking Bad...I know there are a few more I can't think of right now....but it's up there with shows that ended pretty much perfectly. This was a great show that I'll probably let marinate a few years then re-watch.

And I still am unsure as to what the F was happening in that off world side story as far as the kid, 'dogs'....and the military deal being built in space. I know it was protomolecule related but it was a fuzzy storyline.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #241 on: January 14, 2022, 07:00:26 AM »
I was reading that the story with Laconia is more of a setup for the last 3 books/seasons. It does have some tie-ins with Marco and forming a kind of alliance as that one scene in the finale showed.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: January 14, 2022, 07:11:35 AM »
And I still am unsure as to what the F was happening in that off world side story as far as the kid, 'dogs'....and the military deal being built in space. I know it was protomolecule related but it was a fuzzy storyline.

Think of it as laying the groundwork for the future. Duarte and his followers in the Laconia System (who were supporting Inaros with tech...until they felt like they didn't need him to keep the Sol System busy anymore) are building their military utopia with the protomolecule as the nucleus. Several decades pass before they are heard from again. The strange dogs story is just a little ditty that illustrates unintended consequences for Laconia.

If they ever decide to tell that story, they'll have the background established.

Can someone remind me about the ring activation again? is that the same thing that happens in the finale of season 5 with the ship that goes in the ring?

Yes. It's the same force that shut down the protomolecule activity on New Terra in season four, and gobbled up the Barkeith at the end of season 5. In this season, Naomi realizes that a certain amount of critical mass passing simultaneously through the ring gates gets the attention of this "force" which will then act to destroy whatever is passing through. They used it to destroy the Free Navy.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #243 on: January 14, 2022, 08:21:25 AM »
Cool and any idea if there was anything going on in the ring during the end-credits? The music seemed to indicate something was happening.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:28:54 AM by faizoff »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2022, 08:23:26 AM »

Think of it as laying the groundwork for the future. Duarte and his followers in the Laconia System (who were supporting Inaros with tech...until they felt like they didn't need him to keep the Sol System busy anymore) are building their military utopia with the protomolecule as the nucleus. Several decades pass before they are heard from again. The strange dogs story is just a little ditty that illustrates unintended consequences for Laconia.

If they ever decide to tell that story, they'll have the background established.

Thanks Gregg  :tup  I was thinking along those lines but I didn't refresh myself well enough prior to starting S6. It'd be cool if they'd wait a few years then pick the story back up but if they don't....I'm completely satisfied with the series and how it ended.