Author Topic: The EXPANSE  (Read 26748 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The EXPANSE
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2020, 07:33:19 AM »
For my money, The Expanse is the 'best' sci-fi themed show of the past decade. I am sooooooo happy this didn't die after season 3.

Yeah,  I'm a sci-fi geek and this show is in a class of its own. I liked the updated Battlestar Galactica a lot.....shows like Continuum and Travelers were cool. There are a few more that don't come to mind at the moment that I know I really liked but the Expanse is just the cream of the crop at the moment.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2020, 08:07:54 AM »
For my money, The Expanse is the 'best' sci-fi themed show of the past decade. I am sooooooo happy this didn't die after season 3.

Yeah,  I'm a sci-fi geek and this show is in a class of its own. I liked the updated Battlestar Galactica a lot.....shows like Continuum and Travelers were cool. There are a few more that don't come to mind at the moment that I know I really liked but the Expanse is just the cream of the crop at the moment.

The cancellation of Travelers was such a bummer. I am so frustrated with Netflix as a whole—they are just way too cancel-happy for my taste. It's gotten to the point where I am reluctant to check out new shows bc I know it's just a matter of time. Amazon, on the other hand, seems comitted to at least giving shows a chance to develop.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
I actually watched the 1st Season of The Expanse, enjoyed it overall, although was hardly blown away.

I began the 2nd season but got too busy and/or occupied by other shows and have yet to go back to it.

I had a similar experience with Sense8, which especially given the creators, I should have not want to stop watching until I binged it all.

It doesn't help me though that I am totally alone in watching these shows per my wife never has cared much for any Scifi other than a little Star Trek/DS9 probably given her mom often had/has Heroes & Icons on in the evening with it when we lived with her over a year ago.

I guess my question being, does The Expanse get *that* much better after Season 1 that it will be rewarding enough for me to try and make the time for it? A large part of not going on with it is lack of time (life happens, medical, pets, house/car related things, etc, and my wife and I do trivia or watch documentaries, music/dj streams and certain shows together in our free time).

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2020, 08:12:00 AM »
I actually watched the 1st Season of The Expanse, enjoyed it overall, although was hardly blown away.

I began the 2nd season but got too busy and/or occupied by other shows and have yet to go back to it.

I had a similar experience with Sense8, which especially given the creators, I should have not want to stop watching until I binged it all.

It doesn't help me though that I am totally alone in watching these shows per my wife never has cared much for any Scifi other than a little Star Trek/DS9 probably given her mom often had/has Heroes & Icons on in the evening with it when we lived with her over a year ago.

I guess my question being, does The Expanse get *that* much better after Season 1 that it will be rewarding enough for me to try and make the time for it? A large part of not going on with it is lack of time (life happens, medical, pets, house/car related things, etc, and my wife and I do trivia or watch documentaries, music/dj streams and certain shows together in our free time).

In my opinion, the show really hits its stride in the second/third season. The fourth was amazing as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »

In my opinion, the show really hits its stride in the second/third season. The fourth was amazing as well.

I agree. It's a show that just seems to continually get better. The story/plot/character development is always progressing....nothing stays stagnate and is always evolving.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »
Expanse renewed for a 6th and FINAL season. I haven’t read the source material but it’s my understanding that the books are still ongoing?

Either way....with knowing there’s a last season I’m hopeful they have a plan.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2020, 10:51:14 PM »
No doubt there is lots to love about The Expanse - mainly the world building and realisation of the world on the screen (great special effects etc) and the story. However, there are also some pretty big negatives that drag it down. Some of the acting is extremely average and cringeworthy - Bobby especially although I like the character. On the other hand I cannot stand the Naomi character - not sure if it is the actress or the character but I really don't buy into some of the character decisions and also there is absolutely zero chemistry between her and Holden. Their relationship is just not believable at all. The Belter accents are also really laughable at times. The plot can also be overly complex but anyway looking forward to season 5 and 6.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2020, 12:12:04 AM »
No doubt there is lots to love about The Expanse - mainly the world building and realisation of the world on the screen (great special effects etc) and the story. However, there are also some pretty big negatives that drag it down. Some of the acting is extremely average and cringeworthy - Bobby especially although I like the character. On the other hand I cannot stand the Naomi character - not sure if it is the actress or the character but I really don't buy into some of the character decisions and also there is absolutely zero chemistry between her and Holden. Their relationship is just not believable at all. The Belter accents are also really laughable at times. The plot can also be overly complex but anyway looking forward to season 5 and 6.
No way, Bobby is one of my favourites, and Naomi is great too.

Shame it'll be ending after 6 seasons but that's a good run still! I wonder if they'll be condensing down the remaining books into a more focused plot, or if they are just going to have a conclusion after the 6th and simply not adapt the final 3 books (which as I understand it are set 30 years after the end of book 6).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2020, 03:27:39 AM »
I think the actress of Bobbie isn't very good at acting compared to the rest on screen, one of my main qualms as well. But I do like her arc/character so it isn't a big issue for me, and I got used to her acting after season 2.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2020, 07:42:30 AM »
Expanse renewed for a 6th and FINAL season. I haven’t read the source material but it’s my understanding that the books are still ongoing?

Either way....with knowing there’s a last season I’m hopeful they have a plan.

This just made my day. I hate watching a show only to have the rug pulled out from under me (one of my main gripes with Netflix Originals and the way they just cancel content without warning).

Like, when doing a show like this, why not just greenlight it for 3 or 4 seasons from the get-go? How else do you expect a creative team to see through their vision? I get it...money, money, money, but shows like the Expanse are always playing to a niche audience anyways, so in this case, I'm happy that it was rescued after its first cancellation.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2020, 09:21:26 AM »
Given the last three books take place decades later, I do wonder if the show will end on season 6/book 6, but with a tentative intention to do a 3-season run in like 10, 15, even 20 years time.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2020, 12:13:01 PM »
Given the last three books take place decades later, I do wonder if the show will end on season 6/book 6, but with a tentative intention to do a 3-season run in like 10, 15, even 20 years time.

Interesting thought.

In your opinion knowing the source material can the show satisfyingly end with the end of S6 based off of end of Book 6? Or are those subsequent books/future years imperative to tell the full story?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »

Interesting thought.

In your opinion knowing the source material can the show satisfyingly end with the end of S6 based off of end of Book 6? Or are those subsequent books/future years imperative to tell the full story?

Unfortunately I don't actually know the source material as I haven't read the books yet, I only know very big-picture overall-setting stuff. So honestly, I've no idea.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »
I like the show alot but I have to admit both Bobby and the belter accent has been annoying me for along time and I agree about Naomi.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »
I've read all the books.

In your opinion knowing the source material can the show satisfyingly end with the end of S6 based off of end of Book 6?

Yes.

Or are those subsequent books/future years imperative to tell the full story?

No, not to the story that started in the first book. However, if your deeply invested in the characters/politics of the solar system it's pretty essential and interesting story.

------------------------

And y'all are crazy about disrespecting the actress who plays Bobbie. She's perfect in every way.

The Belter slang they present in the show is exactly like in the books. They're just staying true to the source material. I wouldn't say it's good or bad, it's just another texture to the story. A rather authentic feeling texture, or so it seems to me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2020, 01:32:42 AM »
I've read all the books.

In your opinion knowing the source material can the show satisfyingly end with the end of S6 based off of end of Book 6?

Yes.

Or are those subsequent books/future years imperative to tell the full story?

No, not to the story that started in the first book. However, if your deeply invested in the characters/politics of the solar system it's pretty essential and interesting story.

------------------------
Interesting, well that sounds pretty encouraging then. Seems they could sensibly wrap up the show at that point, and then I guess it's up to them if they want to do a reboot later on to cover the final three books.

And y'all are crazy about disrespecting the actress who plays Bobbie. She's perfect in every way.

The Belter slang they present in the show is exactly like in the books. They're just staying true to the source material. I wouldn't say it's good or bad, it's just another texture to the story. A rather authentic feeling texture, or so it seems to me.
Completely agreed with all of this and I haven't even read the books yet. I think Bobbie is awesome, and I think the Belter accent and Creole language adds a really engaging element to this fictional solar system.

I'm honestly not accusing anyone of anything, but I do feel slightly uncomfortable when the only things that get any real criticism are 1. foreign-sounding accents and 2. women of colour.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2020, 05:14:13 AM »
I'm honestly not accusing anyone of anything, but I do feel slightly uncomfortable when the only things that get any real criticism are 1. foreign-sounding accents and 2. women of colour.

No shit. Right?! I wasn't going to say it...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »

No shit. Right?! I wasn't going to say it...

I was thinking the exact same thing!

I think the accents/slang, and the female performances in general are brilliant. I LOVE how this show mines our own culture and then projects it into the future...not unlike the original Star Trek, the show serves as a brilliant analog for contemporary times, especially in regards to issues surrounding race and class.

I suspect how foreign the 'belter slang' sounds is directly proportional to how familiar one is with southern/Creole culture.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
Really? Sorry guys but I found that to be a bit low. That's not at all what I implied, I really want that to be clear. I just found the accent to be annoying and a bit over the top and we're talking about in the realm of a tv-show about acting and character portrayal, that can be subjective right?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2020, 05:39:49 AM »
Okay, hold on, I can't speak for the other guy, but acting talent has nothing to do with being a person of color. I think the actress of Bobbie isn't that good, the rest is, which in this show includes a wide variety of skin tones. And again, I like Bobbie's character and arc a lot, so it is isn't a big deal to me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2020, 10:32:37 AM »
Can't wait for season 5 to drop in a couple weeks!  Like mentioned, I see no problem with ending the series before the 30 yr jump, although I think they could pull it off.  I was just on the wiki page and saw an interesting stat.  I'm not a big Rotten Tomato guy, so I'm not sure how valid the ratings are.  Found the ratings pretty impressive though!

Rotten Tomato ratings

Season 1 - 77%
Season 2 - 95%
Season 4 - 100%
Season 4 - 100%

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2020, 10:50:00 PM »
Authors say this is a pause after Season 6 and not a cancellation. Sounds like they plan on finishing this some time in the future. They also state that the 6 season arc was always one of the options so we aren't going to miss anything regarding their vision for the series.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/22167489/the-expanse-season-6-canceled-or-season-7-beyond-plans
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2020, 08:00:57 AM »
Authors say this is a pause after Season 6 and not a cancellation. Sounds like they plan on finishing this some time in the future. They also state that the 6 season arc was always one of the options so we aren't going to miss anything regarding their vision for the series.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/22167489/the-expanse-season-6-canceled-or-season-7-beyond-plans
That's great to hear!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2020, 09:01:54 AM »

That's great to hear!

Yeah. That’s encouraging.

Online faizoff

« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2020, 09:37:35 PM »
Finished season 1 of this show and it was fantastic. Can't believe the production quality of the entire show, the sets, the whole future look of Earth, the ships and the entire solar system, so fantastic. I won't be able to catch up before season 5 starts but seeing as how they will go The Boys route with weekly episodes after the first 3 drop, might be a good thing to just wait until they all finish.

On to season 2!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2020, 08:55:35 PM »
Just saw a tweet from the writers of The Expanse saying new episodes might have dropped early for the new season.

Oh, yep. First 3 episodes are live right now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2020, 09:01:40 PM »
We watched two episodes tonight!  :omg:

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2020, 09:32:38 AM »
Damn!!!  I'm slackin!  Better get on it tonight!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2020, 12:00:49 AM »
If this season was released all at once I’d still be watching. Those first three episodes are great!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2020, 05:11:15 AM »
If this season was released all at once I’d still be watching. Those first three episodes are great!

They really are, but because I know what's coming, I get impatient. Three episodes in and I can't help but feel like they're still winding up...pitch the fucking ball already!   :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2020, 02:52:36 PM »
Pretty sure I say this every season but damn I love this show so much.

They really are, but because I know what's coming, I get impatient. Three episodes in and I can't help but feel like they're still winding up...pitch the fucking ball already!   :lol
For sure, but the way this show builds up big story arcs is one of the things I love about it. It's just compelling and engaging. I've not read the books yet so am not sure what's coming, but I can feel the tension growing and can't wait for the rest of the season.

I be am boner inducing.

Online faizoff

« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2020, 09:50:52 PM »
Finished season 1 of this show and it was fantastic. Can't believe the production quality of the entire show, the sets, the whole future look of Earth, the ships and the entire solar system, so fantastic. I won't be able to catch up before season 5 starts but seeing as how they will go The Boys route with weekly episodes after the first 3 drop, might be a good thing to just wait until they all finish.

On to season 2!

And... I'm all caught up. What. A. Show! So surprised I never gave it a shot before, it's so cruel to wait a week between episodes esp with how each episode ends on pretty much a cliffhanger. What a ride the entire series has been so far.

That 4th episode of S5 was just phenomenal.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2020, 10:40:42 AM »
Wow! Ep 4 was nuts! This show is awesome. I love how there is basically no wasted scene or dialogue......everything has it’s purpose and there is no ‘wasted’ screen time.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »
Goddamn, I love this show more than i'm aware of I think. It just clicks with me on so many levels.  :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2020, 01:55:23 PM »
Completely the same with me, chaps. The only other shows I can think of that have completely immersed me so much on every level are Mr Robot and Battlestar Galactica.

And yeah, episode 4 was amazing. Completely gripping. And bummed that a certain character is dead.

I be am boner inducing.