Author Topic: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Hey boy, where are you going with that little toy?  (Read 19059 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
The first a solid comeback album from DCD. Children of the Sun, Amnesia, Kiko, some late quality songs there.
As for Late Night Cinema, it's a good instrumental album in a style that is dominated by Endtroducing so it's always nice to have some good artists and albums to replace it sometimes.
Agreed on all of that ;)

Also,great list so far!
Thanks!

Next update in a while :P

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Some pretty dark prog albums
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
Mantiis
Obsidian Kingdom

Nice cover

Hailing from Barcelona, Spain, this metal collective is rather unknown by most of the prog community, yet they're slowly making a place for them on it. Recommended by someone who I have similar tastes with (he made me discover David Maxim Micic <3), I was actually very surprised when I popped Mantiis in for a spin; this is a stunning album, to put it mildly, and its unique mix of black, prog, post, death, doom metal (and even a bit of djent!) makes it one of the most intriguing records I know - I'm an absolute sucker for unique records,, and Mantiis definitely is one of them.

In fact, it's just one big song that lasts 47 mins divided into 14 tracks (hence the album's subtitle: An Agony In Fourteen Bites), and deserves to be listened that way, for some songs naturally flow into each other. Eventhough it's a "prog" record, it doesn't fall into some of the obvious cliches of the genre, for there is little wankery and technical prowess. Yet it's cryptic lyrics and ambitious concept (I think it tells a twisted dark story) aren't unfamiliar on this kind of music. What I think makes Mantiis such a unique album is that... there's none like it, for it flows into different styles over and over again, so the journey it's never boring at all. You're listening to some brutal section, and in a few minutes, there's a sexy sax dominating the song, creating a haunting atmosphere, just to return to the heaviness later. Want a harmony with some band members? Done. Wonderful piano work? Done. And the heavier sections are fucking awesome. I think this is the only case in which I actually like shriek vocals.

As the band itself says: Recommended if you like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Ulver.

Recommended song: Last Of The Light

Grace For Drowning
Steven Wilson

Steven learning to use Instagram's filters

Oh Steven. You're my absolute favorite artist, for I have found much joy in virtually every record you've made. Spoilers: this is one of three albums that feature Wilson on the whole list, but not from the same project. Although it took me lots and lots of listens to appreciate it, Grace for Drowning feels like his best solo record for me, just almost tied with Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Once upon a time, a legend called Robert Fripp assigned Wilson to remix most of King Crimson's catalogue to celebrate 40 years since the release of their debut. Of course he accepted, and immersed himself into the task, while also writing his second solo album. The influence here is pretty obvious. Yet Steven isn't a copycat, for he just took that inspiration and channeled his music through it. Yes, there's quite a heavy jazz and prog influence. But Grace for Drowning also includes electronic elements, wheter they're into beautiful ballads, or aggressive, dark songs - this is not a bright album, but one of Steven's darkest records. And that's to say a lot - a double album about some psychotic serial killer.

Grace For Drowning is as ambitious as an album gets. All of the previous elements of Wilson’s work are present by such as amazing sound production and vibrant musicianship. However, with his second solo album, Steven really took a giant leap in terms of creativity with this masterpiece and it proves to show as one of his most memorable and best albums of his prolific career and likewise a rewarding and pleasurable (ever terrifying at times) listen.

Recommended song: Deform To Form A Star

Colors
Between The Buried And Me

Definitely not k-pop

Fucking insanity, that's what this album is. These guys took a jazz aproach to songwriting, meaning that a certain musical idea is only used once, or repeated no more than in 2 or 3 ocassions. Add the fact that Colors is *very* heavy at times. And that these guys have put more than progressive metal riffs. The result is a behemoth of a record, one that need dozens of spins to get into, but I swear, it's fucking worth the trip. It will not appeal people who have a dislike for harsh vocals, nor ones who seek some structure in their music. If you don't care about that, you'll probably love this. Enough said.

Recommended song: Informal Gluttony

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Some pretty dark prog albums
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »
Wow, an update with three albums I know  :lol
and i disagree with your recommended song from Colors but the other two are spot-on

Mantiis is fantastic at being its own little thing and it's just a wonderfully unique piece of music.
Grace for Drowning is uhh eehh mmm aahh okay.
Colors rules too, and it's way more structured than their most recent two albums, or at least more interesting the whole way through.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
Thought it said 'dank prog albums', this is slightly disappointing.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
GFD and Colors are perfect albums

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »
GFD is awesome and Colors is a must these days.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Colors and GFD would make my top50 too, and Colors would be really high on that list. Haven't heard the third one though.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »
Mantiis is fantastic at being its own little thing and it's just a wonderfully unique piece of music.
Yup. Bummed I didn't get to send something from it on your roulette, but at least I'm happy you like it  :smiley:

Thought it said 'dank prog albums', this is slightly disappointing.
:neverusethis:

Haven't heard the third one though.
Well, you should fix that ;)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Piñatas, pure madness, and more dark prog
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »
Pandora's Pinata
Diablo Swing Orchestra

Insert derp, unnecessary comment here

I LOVE it when bands don't take themselves too serious AND make some awesome music along the way. Well, DSO not only nailed both, but elevated it all with some insane experimentation that still, somehow, remains pretty accessible. What we've got here is a perfect blend for Avant-Garde and Progressive Metal, along with Swing, Big Band, and even symphonic elements. Sure, the ridiculous mix may be the reason this album and band get its fantastic reputation, but in fact there is an awful lot of well written music underneath the whole thing. Every single song, even 53 second interlude “How To Organise A Lynch Mob”, bring something interesting to the table, both in forward-thinking structures and instruments, and the actual melodies and harmonies used underneath this.

Recommended song: Black Box Messiah

The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails

So ugly, so good...

A journey through the fucking hell that Trent Reznor's mind was at the time. The harsh mix of electronics with rock very noisy rock is basically the trademark sound of Industrial Rock, and Reznor not only nailed, but mastered it on The Downward Spiral. It's an abrasive experience with just a few songs to breathe fresh air. This is definitely not easy listening, nor it was intended anyways.

There are distorted sounds, mechanical sounds, screams and whispers, samples of people suffering. This concept album is the perfect soundtrack to a man that wants to self destruct. The making of the record is well documented, with Trent Reznor setting up a studio in the Californian house where Charles Manson and his gang of lunatic followers brutally murdered Sharon Tate and her group of friends. It's hard to really think of a more fitting scene for the recording of The Downward Spiral than a house where one of the most notorious murders of recent times took place.

As the album name suggests, the story told is that of a man's continual downward spiral, culminating in his eventual death and reflection on it from beyond the grave. Starting with Mr. Self Destruct in which Reznor lays bare the weak, self-destructive nature of his character, the music progresses through rejection of God (Heresy), society (March Of The Pigs), a former partner (Piggy), and eventually himself and all that he has become (The Downward Spiral). And believe me, if that sounds miserable, then you really need to hear the music that accompanies this horrible story. While a trademark of Nine Inch Nails always has been loud, explosive bursts of noise combined with softer, more ambient textures, here the whole album is imbued with such a sense of otherworldly fear and menace that it seems at times as if Reznor must at times be close to a grand implosion such are the full scale and power of the emotions running through him. Particularly notable for this are Mr. Self Destruct, opening with the sounds of a man being tortured.

Both a horrible and a fantastic album. It doesn't help the production is so clean, even on the noisiest moments. Or does it? In any case, cathartic experience, almost unlistenable at times because of it's rawness and brutality. Definitely not a friendly, accesible record.

Recommended song: Heresy

Damnation
Opeth

Can I have another like this? Please?

Seems like after the Blackwater Park sessions, there were some acoustic ideas that weren't used, and Opeth didn't know what to do with them. A friend of them suggested them to do a double album, one disc mostly unplugged, so that it would portray their soft, more melodic side; the other, of course, would be their most brutal, intense work. As far as I know, the band wanted to release them as two albums on the same package, but it wasn't possible at the time.

While I'm not a fan of their heavier music, I fell in love with Damnation pretty much from the first listen. Steven Wilson produced (and collaborated a bit on it), so it's quite a clear-sounding record. Most instrumentation is pretty simple: acoustic guitars, drums, mellotrons, and some occasional electric guitars providing solos or some wonderful layering. And Mikael's voice. It's a bit of a bit of a bleak record for sure, but I just love dark stuff. Dunno what more to say, it's just a wonderful piece of art.
By the way, it's been recently remixed by Steven, and rereleased along with Deliverance (which has received a remaster) as it was originally intended.

Recommended song: In My Time of Need

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Piñatas, pure madness, and more dark prog
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
by the time a third DSO album came out i was pretty tired of their sound tbh, it's weird at first but when they keep going doing basically the same thing eventually it gets old
i remember there still being a few decent tracks on that one though, regardless

and Damnation is <3

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
After Deliverance, these days my fav Opeth album, I was so amped for Damnation. It fell kind of flat on me though. Windowpane is awesome, but there aren't really any other tracks like that on the album. Closure, Ending Credits and Weakness are good. That still leaves half the album though.

I listened to Downward Spiral years ago, and it wasn't quite my kind of thing. I've been feeling like returning to NIN lately, so I grabbed it off my brother again some months ago and am yet to give it another listen.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
Not a fan of DSO, NIN's 2nd best album, and not my favorite Opeth album.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2015, 11:46:51 PM »
Damnation is already on my list and it seems the perfect album to follow up PC along with Ghost Reveries.

Also gonna check out the NIN album, even if I only heard one instrumental from them, 'twas pretty promising.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »
Sweet, Damnation. I think I'm ought to check out the other two there, I know a couple of NIN tracks from there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:31:17 AM by mikemangioy »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2015, 10:53:02 AM »
Mantiis
Obsidian Kingdom

Cinnamon Balls!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2015, 01:33:42 PM »
Sacul, how can you have Pandora's Pinata on a list and not mention the absolute genius that is Justice for Saint Mary?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »
Because I forgot to do so  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »
PP is pretty great, wouldn't be near my list, but a really good album. The Downward Spiral is amazing, second best NiN album. Damnation is a bottom 3 Opeth album though.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
Damnation is the best Opeth album. Love it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
where are the dank prog albums

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Prog metal classica from 3 different decades
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
where are the dank prog albums
Here!

The Mountain
Haken

A clear reflection of the album's concept... and sound

I'm really bored by most prog metal. I find lots of its bands to be quite generic copycats - a puzzling thing if they label themselves as progressive. That's why I The Mountain blew me away basically from the first listen - I had like their previous albums, but wasn't remotely ready for this madness. Although they pay homage to some classic prog acts (specially Gentle Giant), they've crafted a sound of their own here, and mastered it.

Some fans didn't like them going into a heavier direction - I loved it. But it also meant their tunes were more varied: Because It's There is a wonderful electroacustic ballad, Falling Back to Earth truly an epic piece, In Memoriam their heaviest song to date imo, the hilarious Cockroach King - all the kind of songs you wouldn't expect in a tipical progressive rock/metal album. Add up that to Ross' unique voice, and you have the second best album of 2013.

Recommended song: Falling Back to Earth

Anno Domini High Definition
Riverside

Prog metal as it ought to be done

For the longest time, Riverside's place on the ist was a tough battle between Second Life Syndrome and this one. But I've got to admit Anno Domini has grown on me the most these last months - how the hell didn't it blow me away before?

Riverside are basically everything I love about prog in general, without any of the awful things that make the genre so dull at times for me, and ADHD, the zenit of their music. Their very melodic approach, with disregard to technical prowess is definitely right up my alley. I'm sure most people here already knows this one, so I'll just make a few comments on what I love about this record. The riffs, hot damn, are fantastic, as well as the guitar work in general. Mariusz' voice fucking slays it here. And the keys and electronic elements are delicious. Not a single bad song here. And Hybrid Times might be one the best closers ever - fucking epic all the way through.

Very creative album, exactly what progressive rock/metal needed, a truly progressive album that went further outside the established conventions of the genre.

Recommended song: Hybrid Times

Awake
Dream Theater

"RAAAAWWKK" -Kevin Moore James LaBrie

I've been digging DT less and less with time, but I'm glad I still love Awake so much. It's just very, very consistent imo - and their first heavy album. Yeah, they could have done another I&W and lots of people would have been happy. But fuck them, they went full metal (well, almost), and it fucking rocked! Heavy, catchy yet progressive songs is what we have here. There's not a single bad tune in my opinion. Well, I'd say Erotomania is the only let down to me, as I'm not a fan of its proggy parts. But outside that, Awake it's a wonderful record, and my second favorite DT album.

Recommended song: I won't bother since you know this album lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Prog metal classics from 3 different decades
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »
these were literally all in my top 10, you fail  :P
(but no yeah these are all great and i can generally agree with you re: being bored of prog metal, or at least "standard" prog metal like the DT clones)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
I've listened to Driven to Destruction from that Riverside album when you recommended it to me in my roulette, it was pretty cool but I never came around to checking out the album. Hybrid Times is so far so good, though I still prefer Driven to Destruction.

Awake is actually one of my least favorite DT albums, but there's still a lot of great songs on it, I won't go too deep into my disliked songs because it would probably offend a lot of people here.

...Oh and The Mountain is awesome of course, though 7 spots too low. :D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
One of the few truly great DT albums and ADHD, which might also be my favorite Riverside album, so props for that!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2015, 01:37:40 PM »
All great, proggy goodness. :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
Sorry I showed up late.  I'll be following this now.  There are some good ones I missed, and some I haven't heard that I will be checking out, and one disappointment. I prefer Pretty Hate Machine to Downward Spiral.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »
That's a sweet update.
ADHD has Hyperactive which is like the catchiest thing ever

IT'S JUST ANOTHER DAY OF MY LIFE

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hi folks! I hope you've had nice holidays :P - I have, and now it's time to resume where I left.

Blackbird
Alter Bridge

I need more of this...

While Miles Kennedy and co aren't exactly the most original band on Earth, their music sounds pretty personal, and it's extremely well-writen, managing to feel fresh for such burned-out genres as heavy metal and hard rock. Although old-school music in that vein isn't my cup of tea (to be honest, I haven't given it a proper chance), Blackbird hits that sweet spot for me with their modern approach and sound, with heavy, catchy, and memorable songs. This album only has a few highlights (title track and White Knuckles imo), but the rest is very, very consistent, and the bonus tracks fucking rock - seems like they were in a very creative period back then. Blackbird album might not reinvent the wheel nor it tries to - itjust offers a bunch of fine-crafted songs that rock hard as fuck.

Recommended song: Blackbrid

World of Goo Soundtrack
Kyle Gabler

I've been told Little Inferno sucked yet I really want to play it...

Here's a game I quite regret not having included in my top 25 VG list - it could have easily made the top 20 somewhere. But I've gotta add that, like on Skyrim, my favorite aspect of it was the fantastic soundtrack. Whereas most OSTs take inspiration just on neoclassical music, Gabler didn't limit himself to that kind of stuff. Thus, the album features electronic, chiptune tracks along with ambient-ish pieces a la post-rock or Brian Eno dependeing on the mood. And some pretty curious compositions based more on blues.

I loved the World of Goo mostly because how personal it felt, on virtually every sense - the gameplay, artwork, the weird story, and the soundtrack most than delivered. Although most of these pieces were written years before the game's inception, it fits perfect because both World of Goo and its OST faithfully reflect Gabler's personality. And I absolutely love when that happens.

Recommended song: Best Of Times

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Neutral Milk Hotel

"IIIIIIII LOOOOVEE YOOOOUUU JESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIST."

Oh boy, this album. I swear it's one of the most polarizing things ever created by humanity. Either you love it or hate it, with little to no middle ground. I admit I was on the last group for ages, despising the awful production, and Jeff's annoying, untrained voice. Dunno why, but decided, earlier last year, that my tastes had changed enough and, maybe, I could enjoy it now. And so it happened. Didn't love it, but liked it a lot.  Just a few months ago it totally clicked with me, and I'm loving it. There's something about its raw quality that definitely attracts me. Jeff might not even have the nicest voice in the world, yet the passion he puts on each song more than makes up for it - and his melodies are fucking memorable. The grand band, and folk instrumentation are pretty joyful and happy, while he sings some heart-wrenching, dark lyrics. A perfect contrast.

Of course this is a cult indie classic, and a hipster's favorite - music journalism like Pitchfork or The Needle Drop love it do death. No wonder why. I think that anyone should listen to it, for it will challenge many conceptions you have on music. Might not blow your mind, but I beleve it's worth the effort.

Recommended song: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
world of goo was a game i wished i liked more than i did
hipster choice is hipster

Offline mikemangioy

Blackbird there is my fault, so you're welcome

World Of Goo! I forgot about that game. It's pretty wacky and I remember the soundtrack to be like that.

NMH is one of those albums I always see in lists, but never checked out, and the description doesn't make me want to either.  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Blackbird is always :2metal:

Don't know the other 2, kinda hoped for mario 64 when reading the title.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
 :tup for NMH
Haven't heard the soundtrack
Alter Bridge is very mediocre

Offline jakepriest

I don't get the fascination so many people here seem to have with Blackbird. It sounds so incredibly generic and dull to me.  ???

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Nice list! I quite enjoy listening to Neutral Milk Hotel actually, although the singing is a little irritating sometimes. Thanks :) It reminds me a little bit of Syd Barrets solo work, maybe just because his singing on his solo albums is also a little sloppy and raw.

I don't get the fascination so many people here seem to have with Blackbird. It sounds so incredibly generic and dull to me.  ???

It is very generic indeed, but it is very good generic work.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

Wow, where have I been? I didn't know you're running top 50 thread :huh: I'm following from now on :tup
To comment on Neutral Milk Hotel: one of my best discoveries of 2015 :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...