Author Topic: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Hey boy, where are you going with that little toy?  (Read 19133 times)

Offline 425

Re: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Not prog, but truly progressive music
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2016, 02:49:57 PM »
I'm not a huge Wilson fan (more of a moderate Wilson fan who likes a significant portion of his stuff but doesn't really put most of it at the level of :hefdaddy that others do), and In Absentia wouldn't be my top choice of album, but it's hard to argue with Trains as probably Wilson's best song. It's one that I come back to fairly often.

I like Weather Systems quite a bit. Probably not this much but I like it.

I've written a lot about SDOIT and why I find it lacking compared to DT's other albums, so I won't rehash that here, but I totally understand your glowing description of Misunderstood. I realized last week how much I love the first 6-7 minutes of that song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2016, 02:54:08 PM »
i prefer WHBWH to WS but both are good
i'm just not the hugest anathema fan though, ehh  :lol
SDOIT isn't in the top half of my DT album rankings but that's primarily because of the title track, which i never listen to anymore
IA is my second-favorite PT album but it's v. good with a few tracks I could do without
i'm ready for addicted now

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
Heh, funny you say that - considering your tastes I was almost expecting you to love it. Oh well :P

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
SDOIT is brilliant. I prefer the first disc by a pretty decent margin, but the title epic is still great, even though it doesn't necessarily feel like a cohesive whole all the way through.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
Weather Systems and SDOIT would probably be in my Top 50 as well. As I said, In Absentia has some of my favorite songs Steven Wilson ever did. I'll go that far and say Heartattack in a Layby is one of my favorite songs ever. But unfortunately, some song on the album never clicked with me so In Absentia is only my 5th PT album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
SDOIT and Weather Systems, along with another PT album were all in my top 5. Quit copying me. :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »
3/4 right. Boom!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2016, 05:02:52 PM »
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance is amazing! I love the song SDOIT,  I think it has some of DTs better lyrics, they really got into the subject and James expresses the lyrics very well.

In Absentia is just amazing too! Definitely in my top 5 albums. Some of the lyrics do still freak me out a little though.

I have only listened tot weather systems once and telt quite indifferent towards it. Perhaps it'll grow on me too, who knows.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline 425

« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2016, 11:03:31 PM »
Heh, funny you say that - considering your tastes I was almost expecting you to love it. Oh well :P

I mean, I really do like it quite a bit. I would not 100% rule further growth out in the future, either. I don't know what keeps it back from elite status for me, but it's just not quite there. I like all the songs and I think the flow is really good. It would almost certainly be top 50 for me (keep in mind I don't know a ton of albums, but still), but not top ten.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:45 PM »
SDOIT is really great but I would personally give a slight edge to SFAM and Awake. But those would be my top3 DT albums, and as far as I'm concerned, the only 3 albums I genuinely enjoy from start til finish, so any of them would have been a great choice.

I looked at my last.fm and was surprised to see that Weather Systems is actually my least scrobbled Anathema-album after Serenades. It's not a bad album, in fact it's pretty good, but coming off WHBWH it just paled in comparison. For someone who was a big Anathema-fan going into WS, it just sounded like something very familiar with nothing that really stuck out. But I know some people got into the band through WS, and if it's someone's first exposure then that explains the different view I think. Personally it wouldn't make my top5 Anathema albums, but it starts great and ends great, there's definitely 4 really really good songs you could make a good EP out of.

In Absentia was my entry into PT and I appreciate what the album did for me, more than the album itself. Like WS, I think you could make a really fine EP with songs from IA. Blackest Eyes, Trains, Gravity Eyelids, Heartattack in a Layby. For me the album just has too many filler. Wedding Nails has a cool riff but is way too drawn out and offers too little to be an interesting instrumental prog song, where other songs goes over more riffs and changes, Wedding Nails throws the same idea in your face for 6 minutes. The Creator Has a Mastertape is really meh IMO, a song like Strip the Soul doesn't leave much of an impression either. Probably wouldn't make my top5 PT albums, but it has a few great standouts. Trains being one of his best.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2016, 01:13:01 AM »
I've never really thought about Six Degrees in the way you put it, as a shackles undone experimental album, which I suppose it is. It's not a bad album, I worshiped it when it came out, but it hasn't lingered massively with me.

I had In Absentia some years ago, before the release of Deadwing. Listened to it quite a bit in high school.

(is it a song or 8 separate tracks? - spoiler: the former, as stated by the band. Period)
Eh, they're members of a prog band, I wouldn't take their word for it. Prog bands have been arbitrarily stringing together a bunch of songs and calling them one song since the genre began. Even with the overture and finale, the bookending fashion of About to Crash, and the main theme coming back after Goodnight Kiss, the fact that the band themselves took a whole bunch of the pieces in the middle out and put them on the Best Of as stand-alone songs doesn't bode well for their claim. To me, it's a suite, as are many prog epics, but whatever.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2016, 01:52:11 AM »
For me, the only Anathema album that might be better than Weather Systems is Alternative 4, but then again, they're rather difficult to compare due to stylistic differences.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2016, 05:28:13 AM »
Eh, they're members of a prog band, I wouldn't take their word for it. Prog bands have been arbitrarily stringing together a bunch of songs and calling them one song since the genre began.

But is a piece like Beethovens Moonlight Sonate one song than? The three movements are even more different then the sections of Six Degrees and there is not even a common theme to bind them together. Still Beethoven named it one piece (with three movements) so it is one piece (and they sound great together) It is the composers call if it's one song or not. Not that it really matters anyway :p

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2016, 05:30:21 AM »
I gave "Trains" a spin, really beautiful song, if anything this is a reminder that In Absentia really should be higher on my list of albums to check out.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2016, 06:02:41 AM »
Eh, they're members of a prog band, I wouldn't take their word for it. Prog bands have been arbitrarily stringing together a bunch of songs and calling them one song since the genre began.

But is a piece like Beethovens Moonlight Sonate one song than? The three movements are even more different then the sections of Six Degrees and there is not even a common theme to bind them together. Still Beethoven named it one piece (with three movements) so it is one piece (and they sound great together) It is the composers call if it's one song or not. Not that it really matters anyway :p

I would say sonatas/symphonies/concerti are one piece in the sense of one "album", not one song.

And I really don't buy the whole "composer makes the call" thing. What if some twat comes along tomorrow and declares their entire discography one song? Are you going to accept it just because it came from the mouth of the artist?

Offline home

« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2016, 06:17:30 AM »
I would say sonatas/symphonies/concerti are one piece in the sense of one "album", not one song.
That's a good point, seeing that as albums and the movements as "songs" makes more sense indeed.

And I really don't buy the whole "composer makes the call" thing. What if some twat comes along tomorrow and declares their entire discography one song? Are you going to accept it just because it came from the mouth of the artist?

Well in that case you could say that it's clearly not one song, but since there is not a definition of whether something is one song or not (I think there isn't?) you can't prove him wrong, so it it is one song. But yeah I won't it take "one song" like that seriously  :D

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2016, 07:23:46 AM »
SDOIT is incredible. And also underrated.
Weather System makes my weep like a girl at times, but it's a truly friggin' wonderful album, I wish I listened to it more.
In Absentia just freaks me out at times, but it's beautifully crafted - although I'd never put it this up.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2016, 10:20:19 AM »
In Absentia was my entry into PT and I appreciate what the album did for me, more than the album itself. Like WS, I think you could make a really fine EP with songs from IA. Blackest Eyes, Trains, Gravity Eyelids, Heartattack in a Layby. For me the album just has too many filler. Wedding Nails has a cool riff but is way too drawn out and offers too little to be an interesting instrumental prog song, where other songs goes over more riffs and changes, Wedding Nails throws the same idea in your face for 6 minutes. The Creator Has a Mastertape is really meh IMO, a song like Strip the Soul doesn't leave much of an impression either. Probably wouldn't make my top5 PT albums, but it has a few great standouts. Trains being one of his best.
Bro, you have just mentioned all of my favorites :lol

And I really don't buy the whole "composer makes the call" thing.
I know it's a modern vision that it's the one who experiences the art the one to have the last word on the art, but I definitely believe that whatever an artist says about said piece is canon, and I respect it. But that's just me :P

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Hey boy, where are you going with that little toy?
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »
Addicted
Devin Townsend Project

I LOVE u deviiiiiiin!!! plz come to brazil!! lml

Ohboy. I'm sure some of you didn't see this one coming. At least, I didn't. Lemme explain: I discovered Devin with the great Ocean Machine. Quite liked that album, so when the discography thread started, decided it was time to get into his other albums. Loved Infinity and Accelerated Evolution, but Terria, Synchestra, Ziltoid, Ki... Left me underwhelmed. Didn't really connect with those records, and thought, well, maybe my job with his discography is done. I don't think I'll like his other records so why bothering? But the nice people at DTF convinced me to continue. And I love you for that.

See, on my first listen of Addicted... Nothing happened. My mind wasn't blown. Not did I think it was a special record. But I liked it. More than the previous ones at least. I remember listening to it on my grandmother's home, and a thought came to me: hey this is actually pretty good - I'll give it more listens to see where it goes. And so it started.

It's been described as "Cannibal Corpse meets Britney Spears", and "an album full of songs like Life." by Ultimetalhead, the leader of the discography thread. Yes, both statements are fucking right. Because this album is so much fun, I used to listen to it while working out, or just when I needed a pump of energy and some brutality. Also, the combo of Devin and Anneke is fantastic.

But I didn't even expect it to end up on my top 10, let alone this spot, which Six Degrees had held for ages. Realized this after going through my whole top 100 - no other album gives me such joy and resonates with me as this one. In my opinion, Devin reached his peak here, and made fucking awesome song after fucking awesome song. This, dear readers, is the single most consistent record I've ever heard. Even my beloved In Absentia and Weather Systems feel like they have no filler, but one or two tracks that while they're excellent, 4.5/5 songs, they don't reach the magnificent levels of the others.

Not here. But even then, this albums ain't perfect. If I was being picky, I'd rate it 9.9/10. I think it's the closest I'll ever be to find a perfect album, and honestly, I don't care. I love this one so much. Trying to pick a favorite is just impossible. Something that I can do with the other albums, but definitely not conceivable for me on Addicted. It's also one of the few albums I think work excellent both as a whole and taking individual tracks. Don't have much to say, really. How it came from barely making my previous top 50 (jeez, I still cringe when I think about that list) to being my all-time favorite, I have no clue.

If there's an album I'd recommend to newcomers, this wouldn't probably be my choice unless you're into this kind of pop-metal music. Which is surprisingly hard to find good stuff in. As always, Devin has created a unique mix that only he could conceive, and master. It makes me a bit sad that the following albums like Epicloud and Dark Matters don't reach this level of awesomeness. They still have some great tunes, and with Addicted I'm happy enough.

Recommended song: Addicted

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Addicted is part of the Devy I can't really stand. I like him more serious when he makes albums like Ocean Machine or Terria. The recent fun/goofy Devy that has started to become more and more dominant since the switch to DTP is just really meh. As far as I'm concerned Addicted is the weakest out of the DTP albums (well maybe not Epicloud) but OK as a whole. Definitely not as good as the rest tho.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
not one of my favorite Devy albums tbh and there are a few tracks that i find notably weaker (resolve and the way home) it's still a pretty damn solid album and probably my favorite of Devy's pop-metal albums

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

It's a solid, but relatively unremarkable Devin album IMO. It just doesn't sit as memorable with me as albums like Ki, Ocean Machine, or Terria do.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
As far as I'm concerned Addicted is the weakest out of the DTP albums (well maybe not Epicloud) but OK as a whole.
Well it's the highest rated of the DTP albums so your argument is invalid :P

It's a solid, but relatively unremarkable Devin album IMO.
Heh, I'd say the same about Ki or Terria - fight me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
trusting RYM for accurate ratings is a really bad idea, tbh  :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

RYM ratings are just a consensus. They're more or less what you'd basically expect, so I wouldn't call them "right" or "wrong". :P

It's a solid, but relatively unremarkable Devin album IMO.
Heh, I'd say the same about Ki or Terria - fight me.

Can't all be winners. :neverusethis:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I know, I only use it for reference - like, if I'm torn between to albums to listen to, I go with the one that has the highest rating, but sometimes it sucks so hard I wonder why people love it? :P

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Using sites like RYM or Sputnik to support your opinion on an album because it's popular never works IMO and it's similar to saying a popular film that makes a billion (Transformers 4 anyone?) is great because of it.

As far as Addicted goes, I know it's fairly popular, it's just one of my least favorite Devy-albums mainly because of the style. :P But then again I've kinda left the Devy-train because it feels like he wants to go down a certain road that I'm just not interested in. He had me interested up until Epicloud which was just a really big disappointment, and by the time he made the double album that followed it up, I didn't have any interest left to check it out. As far as the DTP albums are concerned, I'd say Ghost and Ki are the standouts, with Deconstruction barely beating out Addicted.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Using sites like RYM or Sputnik to support your opinion on an album because it's popular never works IMO and it's similar to saying a popular film that makes a billion (Transformers 4 anyone?) is great because of it.
Oh no, I was jut pointing out Addicted it's the most liked album of the DTP overall, since you seemed to state that as a fact :P - in any way I think rating sites really indicate how good something really is. For instance, I think Loveless is pretty meh despite its endless praise.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

I don't see how this analogy works. Sites like RYM and Sputnik are just a consensus on ratings; an accumulation of the thoughts of the people who happen to rate it there. They're generalizations on the critical reception of something, not its commercial reception, an example of that being a film like Transformers 4 making $1 billion in the box office. The overall critical response to Transformers 4 was what you'd expect (it was shite).

Besides, Sacul just forgot to green text.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
This doesn't happen very often, but I agree with Zantera, or at least with what he expressed in the last two posts.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I like Addicted. Wouldn't be my favorite Devin record, though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
This doesn't happen very often, but I agree with Zantera, or at least with what he expressed in the last two posts.

o/

:hefdaddy

But also I'm not sure why the "as far as i'm concerned.." comment about Addicted was taken as stating facts, any opinion ever posted is always just a subjective opinion. :P Shouldn't need to be "IMO's" in every sentence!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't see how this analogy works. Sites like RYM and Sputnik are just a consensus on ratings; an accumulation of the thoughts of the people who happen to rate it there. They're generalizations on the critical reception of something, not its commercial reception, an example of that being a film like Transformers 4 making $1 billion in the box office. The overall critical response to Transformers 4 was what you'd expect (it was shite).
This.

Besides, Sacul just forgot to green text.
Green text about Loveless? :neverusethis:

But also I'm not sure why the "as far as i'm concerned.." comment about Addicted was taken as stating facts, any opinion ever posted is always just a subjective opinion. :P Shouldn't need to be "IMO's" in every sentence!
Sorry about that, I guess my OCD just gets triggered every time someone states an opinion like it seemed a fact :P

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Yeah. Knowing you, I know how good you resonate to the vibes of Addicted. It's an amazing record and easily one of the most fun. Great list, and I'm beginning to explore some of your entries.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Sorry about that, I guess my OCD just gets triggered every time someone states an opinion like it seemed a fact :P

It's alright, I still love you man!  :heart

Your DTF-title starts with "Music elitist" after all, gotta stand up for what you like! :P