Author Topic: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Hey boy, where are you going with that little toy?  (Read 18751 times)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. None of these 5 albums sounds like the other
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2016, 01:31:15 PM »
I prefer Kid A as well but no denying how many strong songs OK Computer boasts. There's practically no filler in it apart from Fitter Happier (and maybe Electioneering), that's why it's praised as one of the best.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
OK Computer is great.
The rest = whatever.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
you're whatever

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2016, 01:42:46 PM »
you're whatever

I think we've already established that before.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »
Judgement - Best Anathema album as far as I'm concerned
Devil & God - Amazing classic that still holds up, even though I consider Brand New a bit of a one time fluke
OK Computer - A decent album but definitely not one of my favorite Radiohead albums, and overall I'd say it's pretty overrated along side a masterpiece like Kid A which deserves its status
Shadows of the Sun - A Great album, but not one of my favorite Ulver albums

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2016, 02:35:52 PM »
Judgement was the best Anathema album by a long way up to where I stopped listening to them. (A Natural Disaster)

I listened to a bit of Devil and God years ago and it sounded good. Has been moldering away on my to-check-out list ever since.

OK Computer is one of the best Radiohead albums, their best after Kid A.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
Judgement was the best Anathema album by a long way up to where I stopped listening to them. (A Natural Disaster)
Dude, you're missing on some of their best stuff then! Some old fans might not like their new "happier" approach, but those new albums are excellent imo. You should give them a chance  :smiley:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems are brilliant.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
It’s not like I don’t intend to check out their newer albums. They’re on my list. Just not first priority.

To be honest, half the reason I still haven’t checked any of their new stuff out is Steven Wilson. The moment I saw his name in connection with their new album, my interest in looking into it plummetted, and still hasn’t recovered, what, four, five years later?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
Well, he just produced one of their albums, but has had barely any effect on their sound, so I wouldn't worry :P

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »
Yeah, I’ll get around to them at some point. They’ve spent a bit of time in the vague zone just beyond first priority for the past year or so, which is a good sign. Brand New is actually in the same place, funnily enough.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
i appreciate your sputnikmusic profile that basically tells us a lot of what's coming  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
Ssshhh!!  :angry:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
hey, you were the one who told me to look at it  :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2016, 04:06:18 AM »
The Devil and God is album of pure emotion, I love it so much :hefdaddy
Judgement is good but I prefer Anathema's last three more than it. On Last Goodbye and Deep are top 5 Anathema's song for me.
And there is Ok Computer. I't ok (computer) but I didn't listen to it nearly enough to say I love it. Maybe I should. Also, No Surprises is one of my favorite songs ever but rest is not so memorable for me so far (Karma Police is cool).
I heard of Ulver but heard just their first albums (black metal). Don't know Ruined Machines :/
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »
Not an expert but I'm guessing some DMM album will show up in the top 15 (Bilo 3.0?), also Blackwater Park and one of the many Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree albums, I think either In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet was your fave but I forgot.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2016, 11:13:30 AM »
also Blackwater Park
Forgot to say so in the writeup, but Damnation is my fav Opeth album, so nope  :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
Actually re-read, you don't directly mention it, but it's pretty clear because you said you don't like the heavier side. I just guessed BP because it's rarely not on someone's list and I only saw one Opeth album so far.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Untrue
Burial

So unique there's nothing like it...

This is how I got into electronic music in the first place. I once found a list with the best electronic records of the past decade, and both Untrue and Burial's debut crowned the top. Of course, I had no idea who he was, but gave it a chance. Definitely not what I was expecting - some light beats along with very modified vocal samples?.. Ok. Yet I felt like returning to it, you know. Something attracted me. Dunno what it was, but kept listening to Untrue, and it kept growing with each listen - it even made my past top 50. But now I confidently say I fucking love this record.

Burial intended to recreate lots of the music he used to listen to when young, but in the process, he made ghosts. Pale shadows that seem to belong to memories rather than music. Thus, the soundscapes that emerge are surreal, completely immersive. One of those few album where I can safely lost myself into despite all songs sounding very similar, yet I love love this style very much. And it really works on Untrue - sad I can't say the same about Tool.

Dark, perfect for late night listening.

Recommended song: Archangel

Ōkami Original Soundtrack
Various Artists

Can videogames be art?

I have a crush with Japanese culture in general, but my favorite part of it is the music, specially the more traditional one. Not only Okami is a wonderful game, but it's superb soundtrack mixes the best of that kind of music with a modern vision and songwriting, with added epicness because this game is the shit. It's... beautiful. Really, really gorgeous. I fail trying to further describe it, for you *must* play this game in order to get the full picture. I rarely listen to it outside of its original context because it comes in a box set that spans almost 5 CDs of material. In any case, it's a whole body of music that I love so much.

Recommended song: The Sun Rises

Endtroducing....
DJ Shadow

Before we get started...

One upon a time, I became obsessed with this album - listened to it like 3 times a week or more, last January (back in 2015).

DJ Shadow is different from other DJs, as he didn't create nice beats for an MC to rap over them. The focus is on the music itself, how expressive it is as an "instrumental" form. And I put that words in brackets because, technically, Shadow doesn't play any traditional instrument on Endtroducing - just his turntables and recording devices. And thousands of vinyls. Endtroducing.... is the first album to be completely made up by samples. How he made all disparate samples sound like they belonged together is out of my understanding, and shows how he mastered his craft. Samples include obscure soul, jazz, hip-hop, even funk releases, as well as a few big acts, like Metallica or Bjork.

This isn't just hip-hop, or simple plunderphonics - it's art. Shadow didn't limit himself to create nice, fun beats, but he explored many styles and sounds with this masterpiece, fearless of the result. A song like Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt feel like belonging to a movie soundtrack, whereas Midnight In A Perfect World wouldn't sound strange in a Massive Attack album.

It's sad that Shadow went downhill after such a titanic debut, but I can't fault him, for he created a mesmerizing new world of sounds, one that showed how there were still unexplored territories.

Recommended song: Midnight in a Perfect World

Bilo 3.0
David Maxim Micic

I love this art style <3

While David's debut saw more of a darker, mechanical sound that invoked images of a dystopian cyberpunk reality at times, Bilo 3.0 continues the trend in making the album brighter and more human that was started on Bilo 2.0. From the warm, purely orchestral movements of "Everything's Fine" to the delicate and airy piano of "Wrinkle Maze" that leads into an epic guitar solo dotted by choir chants, Bilo 3.0 is as introspective and relatable as it is epic in scope - for a taste of the last, the second song is all you need to listen, for it encompasses all of the sounds David has explored.

This extends into its darker, heavier territories as well, with "Smile" accenting Aleksandra Djelmas's sinister growls and powerful vocals, seamlessly shifting into and out of a soaring, clean style. Any and all instruments know when to step back and when to step up with low, stuttered guitars frequently emphasizing Lalic's vocal tone one moment, followed by a well-directed transition into any of many free-flying solos by Micic and friends from Zytecki to Jeff Loomis.

The amount of influences is ridiculous: Devin Townsend, The Mars Volta, Arch Enemy, Korn, Dream Theater, Serbian folk, Jazz, Glitch - and more. Truly, Bilo 3.0 is an extraordinarily well-rounded album from all angles that screams creativity. It's more than just "djent" or prog metal - this is truly progressive music.

Recommended song: Where is Now?

Vicious Delicious
Infected Mushroom

The music is definitely better than the cover

I did almost give up on this record. Loved the opener, the classic Becoming Insane, but couldn't get into the other tracks. Somehow, I decided to give it another chance. And now we're here. These guys don't take themselves too serious, and for that I'm glad 'cause, honestly, Vicious Delicious wouldn't be so fucking fun if they did. I will explain why I love this record in two parts:

1. The musical experience. Each track flows beautifully with both the following track and the previous, blending seamlessly, although sometimes it’s not as obvious as in others. This gives the album a unifying quality, making it seem much more like an experience, or a journey, if you will, rather than a mere playlist.

2. Variety and versatility. Each song on the album is unique in its own right, yet still maintains that signature Infected soundscape that makes each track both mind-bending and dance-inducing at the same time. In addition, each track seems to have a special feature that makes it stand out from the other tracks, such as the smorgasbord of heavy but catchy guitar riffs in “Suliman”, and the build-up in “Special Place”, which gradually picks up tempo as it goes on, but constantly adds more and more layers of percussion throughout, making it seem like the tempo isn’t actually increasing, but consistently resetting itself, like a motorcycle shifting gears.

This album may never get the review it deserves, but I think it’s sufficient for now to say that while it is a far cry from Infected Mushroom’s more “pure” psychedelic works, Vicious Delicious is their most powerful albums to date. The variety of genres explored on it makes it a widely accessible piece of electronic art, opening up more minds to the psychedelic side of electronica than ever before.

Recommended song: Becoming Insane

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. Hip-hop, swans, and something similar to drugs
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
i never listen to game soundtracks outside of the games themselves
but okami's would easily have made my list if i did
one of my fav. games ever because absolutely everything about its style is perfect and the gameplay is pretty great to boot

and Bilo 3.0 is great, yeah

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I know the Infected Mushroom album, I still find it a bit overwhelming, but when I saw them live I was awe-struck by the amount of styles they implemented in their music.

Ofcourse Bilo is on the wishlist  ;) I've actually already gotten it because I didn't want to miss out on that bundle for 10 bucks, I don't think I've ever seen such a cheap sale. Still have yet to listen to it though.

Offline jakepriest

Infected Mushroom is kickass.  :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Well, I’ve heard OF Burial, DJ Shadow, and Infected Mushroom. But I’ve never heard anything by them.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Heard lots about Entroducing but damn. I'm gonna listen to that after reading how it's made. Bilo 3.0 is bae and
RRRRRRRRRREMIND ME THE STORY THAT I WON'T GET INSANE
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
RRRRRRRRRREMIND ME THE STORY THAT I WON'T GET INSANE

VOY PERDIENDO PERDIENDO

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Some good albums but nothing I would place nearly as high. As much hype as Endtroducing gets, I might even say Since I Left You is the better album in that genre. They're neck and neck but I might lean more towards the latter.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

I find it hard to compare Since I Left You and Endtroducing. Sure, they're both in the field of music made primarily out of samples, but they achieve such different soundscapes and imagery through its use. Since I Left You is bright, adventuring , colorful, and dance-able. Endtroducing is darker, brooding at times, solemn, but full of soul and emotion. I prefer Endtroducing overall, but both are great anyways.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, I’ve heard OF Burial, DJ Shadow, and Infected Mushroom. But I’ve never heard anything by them.
There are recommended songs that might help you fix that ;)

Heard lots about Entroducing but damn. I'm gonna listen to that after reading how it's made.
do it pls

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Le Sacul's fav records! v2. 3 Ground-breaking masterpieces
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
Program Music I
Kashiwa Daisuke

The amalgamation of many of my fetishes

And you thought prog was the only genre that had long epic songs. Ha!

Program Music I only has 2 songs, the masterpiece (and nominee for most beautiful track ever) Stella, a 36-minute behemoth of a song - and the very underrated Write Once, Run Melos, that lasts 26 mins. Both are absolute landmarks of neoclassical, and electronic music. Some people might find this to be a hard album to get into, but I don't think so if you're paying attention.

Stella starts with a very simple piano section that becomes glitchy, while some weird sound samples play here and there. But, it starts to get less chaotic for the first mins, and a cello/violin appears. Then some virtual drums. More pianos. Some glitches. Then it changes. That's a pattern that basically repeats itself over and over, yet it doesn't seem so, because every time there's something new to it. There's also a dominating sense of melancholy that give it all a powerful beauty, and makes Stella such a moving song. Some parts are very, very dark. Other just joyful. Or sad. The range of emotions going no through those 36 minutes seems inconceivable, specially considering it's an all instrumental album. But it works. It mothafucking works.

The second tracks deserves more love. Might not be as beautiful as Stella, ok, but it's far more experimental and adventurous in its approach. More glitchy if you want, and at times, more epic.

So many styles can be found on Program Music I: Japanese neoclassical, glitch, IDM, even traces of rock or jazz here and there. I'm out of words to describe the awe this album leaves me on. It's, despite its dark moments, and pretentious concept, an innocent album. This, along with Vicious Delicious, is how I love my electronic music.

Recommended song: Stella

F# A# Infinity
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine... and the machine is bleeding to death.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F# A# ∞ is an amazingly beautiful, epic album. I was confused the first time I heard it, but have grown to love it. From the sprawling soundscapes of “The Dead Flag Blues” to the fevered, paranoid feel of “East Hastings” to the triumphant hopefulness of “Providence,” the band has created something that will be remembered as one of the greatest albums of all time. Although the mood of the record is largely dark and gloomy (and I swear it sounds... old, ancient, like recorded in an old abandoned studio), underneath it all lies an endearing sense of hope.

Upon a first look, the album appears to be a warning; if we do not improve the way we live, then we could be ushering in the end of the world. As one listens further, however, they will find that this is not a warning at all. As humans, there is one thing that we will always have as long as we draw breath: hope. Hope never dies, and as long as we hold on to that feeling that we will make it through, anything will be possible. When it appears that all is lost, when it appears that death is near, when it appears that the very earth is crumbling around us, we still have hope. I believe that is the message that Godspeed You! Black Emperor were attempting to get across with this album. Out of all of the albums that the band has released, I believe that this is their best, simply because it takes you far away to a place that seems so very different from where you are now, but at the same time it doesn't seem so far-fetched to think that we could all be there somewhere down the road.

So pick this up and be transported away, maybe for a longer period of time than you at first wanted. Who knows? You might not want to come back.

Recommended song: The Dead Flag Blues

The Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd

An absolute classic

A transcendental, timeless masterpiece. How funny that one of mainstream's most recognized covers isn't as listened as it looks like. Yes, it's one of the best-selling albums in history, yet there are so many people out there that have the iconic light refraction image as FB cover or something, yet haven't listened to the album. Maybe except of Money.

Anyways, it wasn't a few months ago I realized how much I fucking loved this album. Every fucking song works as a whole, making it all a cohesive work, that flows. Feels natural, like every note deserved to be played in the exact form and time they were played. I still think Brain Damage is the weakest track here tho.

Recommended song: Us And Them

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Le Sacul's fav records! v2. 3 Ground-breaking masterpieces
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
Going to try Dark Side of the Moon and F# A# Infinity at some point, though I think those are both the type of albums I should just take time for to sit down and relax, which I currently can't.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
F#A# is pretty good though Providence always drags a little IMO
DSOTM is DSOTM, which means it's friggin' great and one of the most iconic albums ever

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2016, 01:45:36 PM »
DSOTM is exactly what you said it is. A transcendental timeless masterpiece. I love it, it's an awesome journey from start to finish.
I added to the list "F# A# ∞". I'm curious.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »
F#A# is amazing, with only certain parts of Providence being slightly uneventful. The whole album is more of an "event" than anything. It's like a scene from a bleak dystopian film or a personal, first-hand account of a person's experience during such a catastrophic event. With no lyrics (besides the reading at the beginning of The Dead Flag Blues), it creates such stunning imagery through its soundscapes.

If someone were to tell me that DSTOM is their favorite album of all time, I wouldn't question it at all. I feel that for modern music, it's truly one of, if not the most cohesive and holistic album experiences period. Forty years later and it sounds so fresh and timeless. It's the exact opposite of something that sounds "dated". I love how relatable and universal its themes are; anyone listening to it can find something in it to latch on to.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
I'd say Dark Side is slightly overrated and definitely the weakest out of Pink Floyd's classic 4, but still a good album, and big thumbs up for Program Music and F#A# (even though LYSF is better).

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2016, 02:28:25 PM »
F#A# is pretty good, better than Yanqui, but I probably like every other Godspeed album more. The first two tracks are brilliant, but Providence is one of their weakest.

I went through a PF phase at one point, but eventually realised, like with a lot of things, most of my appreciation was just something I'd convinced myself of due to their pop culture footprint. I like Money, and parts of Time are okay.