Author Topic: Does DT sell signed merchandise at concerts?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline airbornemihir

Does DT sell signed merchandise at concerts?
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:14:18 PM »
I'm asking because I'm wondering whether to wait to buy the Astonishing CD. I will almost certainly not be able to afford a meet-and-greet pass to get my CD signed... and I've been to some events where signed merchandise was available for purchase.

Offline Shadow2222

Re: Does DT sell signed merchandise at concerts?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »
I don't believe so, unfortunately. As you mentioned, it is one of the big draws for a fan to purchase the meet and greet, so they do not sell pre-signed material. I'd love to be wrong, for your sake, but I have not personally seen any at their merch stand for the 4 concerts I've been to.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »
I've never seen it.  It doesnt make sense to do it just like Shadow said, thats a big selling point of the meet and greet.

Offline airbornemihir

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:40:37 AM »
Thanks, Shadow222 and cramx3. This is disappointing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:10:33 AM »
Life is disappointing. Try eBay.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 08:54:50 AM »
I can sign your cd for you if that'll help.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
I'll sell you a dramatic turn of events poster signed by the band limited numbered to 2000 copies . $100

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »
Everyone of course is entitled to have the piece of band memorabilia they want, but I don't see the appeal of having a signed copy unless the signing didn't happen personally.

An autograph is some piece of scribbled ink that ruins an artwork. The nice thing about it is that it's a reminder of when you met the person that signed the item you now have. I have an autographed poster of Bruce Dickinson's Chemical Wedding, a leftover from a signing session the store owner gave me. I like it but I don't "feel" like I have Bruce's autograph, 'cause he didn't make it for me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline airbornemihir

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 04:25:50 AM »
Everyone of course is entitled to have the piece of band memorabilia they want, but I don't see the appeal of having a signed copy unless the signing didn't happen personally.

I get where you're coming from, and it's even more special if one can get the artist to personalise it. Even if not - meeting John Myung (and the others, too) in person would be so overwhelming I probably wouldn't notice whether they bothered to scribble my name or not.

That said... I'm going to feel happy if I'm able to pick up signed merchandise at a concert - I could associate it in my mind with that particular concert, like you said.

(BTW, The Mirror is one of my favourite DT songs - if your screen name is a reference to it, rock on mate.)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
The only time I remember seeing pre-signed merch, was on Gigantour, and there is a kicker to that. Every other band (including Megadeth, if memory recalls), would sell their latest album at the show, among other merch. If you bought that recent and overpriced album, there would be a time to go by the merch stand and have the band sign it, personally. Dream Theater was the only exception, pre-signing Octavarium and just making it available to buy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 11:41:49 AM »
(BTW, The Mirror is one of my favourite DT songs - if your screen name is a reference to it, rock on mate.)

MirrorMask is a movie by the Jim Henson company, inspired by the works of Neil Gaiman, my avatar is a still from the movie.

Incidentally The Mirror is the song that made me realize I was diggin' DT's music so it will always have a special presence in my heart, it's one of my favorites as well  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »
They were selling signed BC&SL albums when they toured in 2009.  I bought one and never opened it haha.  I already had the album but when I saw a signed version I couldn't resist.