Author Topic: Independence Day 2  (Read 8944 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Independence Day 2
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »
Maybe this time around, they'll give it a biological virus instead of a computer virus.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 03:33:53 PM »
War of the Worlds style?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
Oh NOOOOOoooooo...

Nah, this time it's human urine. We pee on them and they just melt away. *Cue an amazingly awkward sky rocketing surge in sales from golden shower fetishists*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »
Oh NOOOOOoooooo...

Nah, this time it's human urine. We pee on them and they just melt away. *Cue an amazingly awkward sky rocketing surge in sales from golden shower fetishists*

I say some other crazy guy who got adducted gets his revenge by raping one of the aliens giving it an STD that then gets transmitted like crazy because the aliens are sex hounds.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »
Here is the line, Cram:  |

and here is you:                          o/

Bravo, sir. Bra. Vo.   :metal :police:

RIP DTP.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 05:40:36 AM »
Oh NOOOOOoooooo...

I say some other crazy guy who got adducted gets his revenge by raping one of the aliens giving it an STD that then gets transmitted like crazy because the aliens are sex hounds.

So that makes me an alien...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 05:47:46 AM »
I just watched the trailer again and I'm more excited for this now. I was wondering how they were going to work Dave into the plot without it seeming forced. The movie looks like they've been spending the last twenty years decoding alien technology and building up Earth's defenses for the sole purpose of this followup attack. Dave's probably been helping as the lead alien IT guy. Also, It's going to be interesting to see how the world is structured now. Every major country was pretty much leveled. Governments the world over collapsed. In the president's speech he said "Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests". I'm assuming if there are still individual countries, we're all going to be working together on this one. The potential is huge.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
I agree, I actually think there is some potential for this movie.  I absolutely LOVED the first one, it's hard to think they can do a follow up that is any good though, but maybe they have.  That trailer certainly didn't give any feel like the first one, but that's OK if they have a good plot which they just might.  That basic synopsis from Chino actually sounds plausible and like a good premise to make a follow up. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
Production aside, this looks like a terrible fan fiction sequel. The fact that they used "the speech" from the first movie to try to sell this one is incredibly lame on top of the fact that they used the same shot twice in the trailer (shadow over the boat). This is pretty clearly a nostalgia cash-grab and that fact alone makes its existence deplorable in my mind.

THIS!  I was excited to see the trailer...until....the speech.  That's the part I hate most about the original, that cheesy ass speech, and here...they do it again, sigh. :tdwn

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »
Production aside, this looks like a terrible fan fiction sequel. The fact that they used "the speech" from the first movie to try to sell this one is incredibly lame on top of the fact that they used the same shot twice in the trailer (shadow over the boat). This is pretty clearly a nostalgia cash-grab and that fact alone makes its existence deplorable in my mind.

THIS!  I was excited to see the trailer...until....the speech.  That's the part I hate most about the original, that cheesy ass speech, and here...they do it again, sigh. :tdwn

Get out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:03 AM »
I thought the speech put a negative vibe on the trailer as well, but the speech is great in the original movie.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2016, 09:56:18 AM »
Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the original movie and I'm sure I will see this one a gazillion times too.  That being said..... that speech is serious cheeze-wiz  :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »
The speech itself is great, especially in context with the original, but you can't tell me that's not eyeroll worthy fan service of the worst kind. The first issue is that they're already using the first movie as a crutch and the second issue is that they really couldn't find dialogue from the movie to put in the trailer in place of the speech? It's just a way to feign excitement since people will hear the speech and go "I remember that! Awesome!"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
That's literally all this movie is going to be: just a bunch of things to remind people how great the first movie is. That's the only reason this sequel exists. If you're expecting anything more, you're expecting too much.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2016, 03:09:46 PM »
^ Exactlys.

That said, if you expect that...it might still disappoint. I'm expecting this to quell immense boredom on a rainy night a while from now when it's on On Demand or BD but other than that...I could leave it.

RIP DTP.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »
The speech never came across as cheesy to me. There were so many cheesy things in the original, but the speech to me wasn't one of them.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »
It's because smelling and ingesting so much cheese dulls your senses to cheesiness and by that point you were completely desensitized to the cheese of the movie. It's science.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2016, 03:18:39 AM »
Yeah the first movie is packed with 'murica cheese all over, which is one of the reasons I've never really cared that much for it. For me, the sequel will probably be about as good as the first one for me.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2016, 08:34:48 PM »
That's literally all this movie is going to be: just a bunch of things to remind people how great the first movie is. That's the only reason this sequel exists. If you're expecting anything more, you're expecting too much.
So it's going to be another Jurassic World then? That wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah the first movie is packed with 'murica cheese all over, which is one of the reasons I've never really cared that much for it. For me, the sequel will probably be about as good as the first one for me.
Aw, the cheese is what makes the first movie so great.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2016, 07:07:34 AM »

This teaser was posted on ID4's Facebook page the other day. F22 with alien shield technology

I'm curious as to how this is going to play out. Both sides now have shields. Kind of makes it seems like traditional air combat won't be the best approach.

I've been curious what the craft below would be used for. Seeing as missiles may prove to be useless, I wonder if this thing can literally just grab enemy fighters out of the sky and hurl them into the ground.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
So it's going to be another Jurassic World then? That wouldn't surprise me.

It shouldn't surprise anyone. That's basically what 90% of movies are nowadays.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2016, 08:45:59 AM »

It shouldn't surprise anyone. That's basically what 90% of movies are nowadays.

The Force Awakens proves that if done well - it can be perfect.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »

You're basing this on nothing more than your disdain for sequels and reboots.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
Assuming you just broke your quote formatting, yes. I'll acknowledge "90%" is an exaggerated figure. That said, I have no disdain for sequels and reboots. I'm excited to see ID2, I loved Star Wars VII, and there are plenty of other movies based on existing IP's that I'll be seeing.

I'm just stressing the context of these movies. Sadly, the end decision to make these movies aren't because want to tell/continue these stories or even that studios think people necessarily want to see them. These types of movies are business decisions. Existing IP's are safer bets, and with big movies only becoming more and more extravagantly expensive, they want the safest bets possible.

That doesn't mean these movies can't be good or even great. It's just an unfortunately reality about Hollywood right now. I find that I can enjoy these movies even more knowing that context. It lets me either forgive certain decisions or even criticize the movie further depending.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »
Just hope that ID2 doesn't Star Trek / Terminator Genisys it where it's a not quite sequel, not quite reboot.

We've seen that a few too many times now.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »
Soft reboots seem to be all the rage nowadays too. It's kind of like having the best of both worlds, but in reality it tries to cover too much ground/satisfy too many people and it's very difficult to make an impacting/memorable story and style when doing that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2016, 10:40:14 AM »
I think Star Trek 09 and The Force Awakens both did it well.

Genisys not so much.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2016, 10:47:43 AM »
The Force Awakens didn't do it at all.  It's a direct sequel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2016, 11:03:24 AM »
Because nobody is saying it's A New Hope remake.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »
Because nobody is saying it's A New Hope remake.
OK
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »
what is happening

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
what is happening

Thread when it began;

Thread now;

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »
Just hope that ID2 doesn't Star Trek / Terminator Genisys it where it's a not quite sequel, not quite reboot.

We've seen that a few too many times now.
ID2 is looking like it's going to be a direct sequel, much like TFW and JW.

People can call those 'soft reboots' or whatever, but I don't think they are at all.

But whatever, labels and all, I just hopes me sum cities done get blowed up in the new moopie.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »

Awesome

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
I didn't really care for Independence Day when it first came out.  It seemed way too "fine-tuned" specifically to be a summer blockbuster flick, which of course is exactly what it was.  Then my wife bought me the Blu-ray for some reason (she apparently thought I really liked it), so I pretty much had to watch it a few times.  I've come to actually like the movie a bit.  It's a fun ride, and I've gotten over how artfully they've plucked and pulled all the right strings along the way.

Anyway, with this newfound appreciation for the original, I'm sure I'll check out the sequel, though I'm trying to keep expectations low.