Author Topic: Scott Weiland found dead - RIP  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Scott Weiland found dead - RIP
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »
This just in

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6785645/scott-weiland-stone-temple-pilots-dead

Scott Weiland, the former frontman for rock bands Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, had died, according to reports.

Dave Navarro, guitarist and member of Jane's Addiction, tweeted at 9:01 p.m. PST "our friend Scott Weiland has died."

Just learned our friend Scott Weiland has died. So gutted, I am thinking of his family tonight.

— Dave Navarro (@DaveNavarro) December 4, 2015

Weiland and his latest band, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, are scheduled to tour this month with upcoming dates at Reno, NV on Dec. 18 and City Winery in Napa on Dec. 19.

Billboard has not confirmed the death of the singer, who turned 48 on Oct. 27. Weiland long suffered from substance abuse issues.

"If you should die before me,
Ask if you could bring a friend..."

RIP Scott Weiland

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scott Weiland found dead - RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 11:38:50 PM »
Sad but seemed almost inevitable.

RIP
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about this.

Sad but seemed almost inevitable.
Not to me, and I've been an avid celebrity death pooler for many years now. I put him in the same category as RDJ and Nikki Sixx, and I have no reason to think they don't live long, healthy lives. Weiland had been off everybody's radar for quite some time as he seemed to have gotten his shit together as he got older, much like those two.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 12:15:28 AM »
Barto..still you wonder if years of substance abuse didn't take it's toll. Rumor was that was why he parted ways with the band a couple years ago. Missing rehearsals,  and always very late when he did show up. Dunno if that's true. Still sad. Not that STP had been relevant to the music scene of late, still much too young. RIP
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 12:21:19 AM »
He was all over the Blabbermouths of the world only months ago for virtually sleeping/flying his way through gigs - so I thought he would be on the radar of the "deathsters"  .  I didn't know about such things as death pools prior to reading some of your posts El Barto .
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:29:10 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 02:41:49 AM »
sad news

Offline Art

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 03:49:50 AM »
Sad news, i am a big STP fan.  :(

RIP.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 04:30:14 AM »
Well I'm not surprised.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 04:32:31 AM »
I didn't know about such things as death pools prior to reading some of your posts El Barto .
Have you never seen the fifth Dirty Harry movie? :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »
Terrible news.  But Brent is right with those reports about him lately.  I'm unfortunately not surprised at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:31 AM »
Core is one of the highlights of '90s rock. Absolutely solid.

And even when STP significantly dropped in quality, Weiland continued to amaze. It was only these last few years his voice noticeably changed at all.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 07:31:01 AM »
Horrible news, died way to young.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 08:20:23 AM »
He was all over the Blabbermouths of the world only months ago for virtually sleeping/flying his way through gigs - so I thought he would be on the radar of the "deathsters"  .  I didn't know about such things as death pools prior to reading some of your posts El Barto .
Death pools run from the beginning of each year. He likely would have been on quite a few 2016 lists because of what was going on this year.  If I still kept up with some of the rumor sites he likely would have had quite a few appearances. I know there was a video of him trying to sing Vaseline that was just painful to watch and pretty evident that the dude was too wasted to work. It also seems that somebody in his band died a few months back from an accidental overdose, so that would have been a red flag the size of Texas.

And my hunch based on tracking celebrity drug deaths suggests that this is going to be pill and alcohol related. I stopped picking known heroin users quite a while back because for the most part they're good enough to not OD. Pill poppers and alcoholics, on the other hand, misjudge what they're doing all the time. A couple of ambien, a couple of Valium and 2 too many glasses of pinot noir and the next morning somebody finds dead in the tub. Prescribed opiates are another distinct possibility.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 10:54:41 AM »
[']

Offline Kix

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
Very sad, most of all of course for his family. My Facebook feed today has been full of writers sharing their tales of interviewing him over the years - some good, some bad, but all memorable.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 02:38:19 PM »
That first Velvet Revolver album, Contraband, wasn't too shabby.  Slither and Fall To Pieces were solid.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 04:10:10 PM »
 :'( Loved STP and Scott... so sad to see it come to this. Reminds me...One of the numerous times I saw STP was in 2002. About a week after Alice In Chains singer Layne Staley had been found dead, STP had a short tour and I was front row in Charlotte, NC where they opened their show with a Pink Floyd cover of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" in tribute to Layne.... Shine on Scott...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhphET6-s0

Offline darkshade

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
Drugs, man.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:39 PM »
Drugs, man.

It's staggering how many people STILL die from drugs these days.

Just don't fuckin start.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »
Stone Temple Pilots changed their sound a lot over only five albums, but I have all of them and I love them all.  The last one is really different, but it has some great stuff.

Anyway, one of my all-time favorite rock and roll voices.  Great, great voice.  Troubled dude, though.