Author Topic: The Astonishing -- Order and Pre-Order information  (Read 69659 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Re: The Astonishing -- Order and Pre-Order information
« Reply #455 on: August 04, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
A large movie size poster, a big 2 sided map, 15 trading cards and the CD in included in the box as well. The NOMAC is really the center piece.

I know it's subjective, but you feel like you got your money's worth?  The trading cards are just the pix from the booklet, right?  And the screenplay is just a reprint of the booklet on white paper?

Is the NOMAC really *that* nice of a piece?

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: August 04, 2016, 07:23:50 PM »
A large movie size poster, a big 2 sided map, 15 trading cards and the CD in included in the box as well. The NOMAC is really the center piece.

I know it's subjective, but you feel like you got your money's worth?  The trading cards are just the pix from the booklet, right?  And the screenplay is just a reprint of the booklet on white paper?

The trading card are all basically the same pictures from the cd booklet. Screenplay is just a typical boring looking screenplay on white paper, but is how a screenplay should look. The NOMAC is cool and detailed, although it is very light and I am afraid of dropping and breaking it. I put it back in the plastic it came in until I get a display case for it.

Considering it was late, I'm not really sure if I feel it was worth the money. I was going to receive it before seeing them in concert and have them sign the NOMAC at the meet and greet, and that was a big disappointment for me personally. (Granted I was pleased to have them sign a couple of things the Dream Theater album though.) However, I do think it is a nice set, and will display a couple of items in my office.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #457 on: August 04, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
Is the NOMAC the reason this was delayed so much or were there other things?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2016, 12:51:07 AM »

The trading card are all basically the same pictures from the cd booklet. Screenplay is just a typical boring looking screenplay on white paper, but is how a screenplay should look. The NOMAC is cool and detailed, although it is very light and I am afraid of dropping and breaking it. I put it back in the plastic it came in until I get a display case for it.

Considering it was late, I'm not really sure if I feel it was worth the money. I was going to receive it before seeing them in concert and have them sign the NOMAC at the meet and greet, and that was a big disappointment for me personally. (Granted I was pleased to have them sign a couple of thin  the Dream Theater album though.) However, I do think it is a nice set, and will display a couple of items in my office.

Is it why they did a second leg?  :justjen
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online efx

« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2016, 02:17:15 AM »
Just emailed RR to cancel minus whatever they deem the CD worth. Any anticipation I had has worn off some time ago, hopefully they'll honor the request.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 05, 2016, 05:34:01 AM »
Fellow Europeans: I received a shipping notification this morning.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Aquiesence

« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2016, 05:37:05 AM »
Yep I received a shipping notification a few minutes ago too.
"Close your eyes, what do you see ? Dreams in rhyme with reality"
my blog: https://eburnus.blogspot.com/

Offline MAD

« Reply #462 on: August 05, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »
...email received this morning, my box has been shipped today.

Offline MarkX

« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »
I've been lurking for a while and hate to have this be my first post.  I rushed home today when I got the delivery confirmation for the Deluxe Collectors edition I ordered back on December 5th.  The shipping box was inadequately packed and the contents were a bit crushed.  It is probably the result of sloppy manufacturing and absence of appropriate packing materials. 

The NOMAC is OK but largely useless since it has no stand.  The set includes a printed “screen play” that is just the lyrics printed out.  It includes cheaply playing cards with perforation marks. There are 2  posters that are folded up so they're largely useless and ANOTHER copy of the cd...

In the past Ive bought each and every limited edition Dream Theater set from Roadrunner and have been very pleased with the products.  This is a complete disaster and after delay after delay this is just a kick in the pants.  I'm going to ask them for a return label and full refund.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #464 on: August 05, 2016, 06:27:28 PM »
I've been lurking for a while and hate to have this be my first post.  I rushed home today when I got the delivery confirmation for the Deluxe Collectors edition I ordered back on December 5th.  The shipping box was inadequately packed and the contents were a bit crushed.  It is probably the result of sloppy manufacturing and absence of appropriate packing materials. 

The NOMAC is OK but largely useless since it has no stand.  The set includes a printed “screen play” that is just the lyrics printed out.  It includes cheaply playing cards with perforation marks. There are 2  posters that are folded up so they're largely useless and ANOTHER copy of the cd...

In the past Ive bought each and every limited edition Dream Theater set from Roadrunner and have been very pleased with the products.  This is a complete disaster and after delay after delay this is just a kick in the pants.  I'm going to ask them for a return label and full refund.

I, too, am strongly heading towards asking for a refund, especially considering that most of the extras are found in the CD booklet itself.  I have not received a shipping notice yet.

Someone said there were 15 cards.  From the RR site, comparing against the booklet and the tour program, I can make out:

- 8 characters
- The map
- Ravenskill
- Emperor's Palace
- Heaven's Cove
- just the NOMACs from the cover (landscape)
- the entire cover (portrait)
- the NOMAC "blueprints"

This is 15.  Is this correct?  What's on the other side?  The website actually says 20 cards.

As stated, I picked up the tour program when I saw the show.  I'm guessing a lot of that is reproduced somewhere on the cards, as well.

The signed poster I received is of Heaven's Cove.  On the website, they show 3 images: the map, the basic Majesty logo, and a pic of Gabriel, with "credits" at the bottom.  Not sure which is on the other side of the map (Gabriel or the Majesty logo... thinking it's logo based on the vinyl  set picture).

Does this mean that the picture of Gabriel is supposed to be the poster?  Anyone else get a different signed poster?

Sorry for all the questions; I just really want to make an informed decision before I decide to *un*buy!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2016, 07:13:44 PM »
The poster is in the likeness of a Movie poster.

The NOMAC is what it is and is supposed to be housed within the Boxset as the main center NOMAC on the album art.

And my god, just be glad they sent it. And with another copy of the CD.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #466 on: August 05, 2016, 07:15:06 PM »
The poster is in the likeness of a Movie poster.

The NOMAC is what it is and is supposed to be housed within the Boxset as the main center NOMAC on the album art.

And my god, just be glad they sent it. And with another copy of the CD.

Haven't sent it yet, to me.  Trying to decide if I want to cancel, but want to be sure 1st.

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: August 06, 2016, 06:51:16 AM »
I, too, am strongly heading towards asking for a refund, especially considering that most of the extras are found in the CD booklet itself.  I have not received a shipping notice yet.

Someone said there were 15 cards.  From the RR site, comparing against the booklet and the tour program, I can make out:

- 8 characters
- The map
- Ravenskill
- Emperor's Palace
- Heaven's Cove
- just the NOMACs from the cover (landscape)
- the entire cover (portrait)
- the NOMAC "blueprints"

This is 15.  Is this correct?  What's on the other side?  The website actually says 20 cards.

As stated, I picked up the tour program when I saw the show.  I'm guessing a lot of that is reproduced somewhere on the cards, as well.

The signed poster I received is of Heaven's Cove.  On the website, they show 3 images: the map, the basic Majesty logo, and a pic of Gabriel, with "credits" at the bottom.  Not sure which is on the other side of the map (Gabriel or the Majesty logo... thinking it's logo based on the vinyl  set picture).

Does this mean that the picture of Gabriel is supposed to be the poster?  Anyone else get a different signed poster?

Sorry for all the questions; I just really want to make an informed decision before I decide to *un*buy!

Yes there are 15 cards, and you have the fronts correct. The back of the cards is the gold Majesty artwork that is on the front the the CD booklet.

The gold Majesty logo artwork is in the back of the map.

The poster if a picture of the 8 characters. I can post photos when I get home if you would like.

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #468 on: August 06, 2016, 11:25:58 AM »
After seeing some pics of the boxset, I'm glad I cancelled it.
I live in Canada & by the looks of how they package them for shipment
they didn't seem to care. After waiting so long to get these out to people
I would be pissed to get this damaged. RR so dropped the ball on this one.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #469 on: August 06, 2016, 12:14:26 PM »
Yes there are 15 cards, and you have the fronts correct. The back of the cards is the gold Majesty artwork that is on the front the the CD booklet.

The gold Majesty logo artwork is in the back of the map.

The poster if a picture of the 8 characters. I can post photos when I get home if you would like.

I'd be interested in seeing the poster as well as the NOMAC (if you're comfortable handling it).

You've been awesome; thanks so much.

The NOMAC was the real draw for me, but I thought all the other perks would be cool, too.  But since it's turned out that the other stuff is just available in the CD booklet itself, $150 or whatever I paid (including shipping) for a cheap (?) NOMAC is silly.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: August 08, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
Good grief, this package is cheap, especially the 'script'. It looks, and feels, like I ran it off on my printer and stuck a couple of cheap clasps through it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: August 08, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Still no tracking or further correspondence from RoadRunner.

:facepalm:

I'm beginning to think I should cancel.. the draw for me is that NOMAC.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #472 on: August 08, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
I can't believe how much people expected by the script. That's exactly how a script looks. As I have said before to my friend, I think a lot of people are just upset it arrived late. Had it arrived on time I think people wouldn't be as disappointed with the contents.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #473 on: August 08, 2016, 12:01:45 PM »
Here is an unboxing video I came across on YT in case you still haven't received yours and are thinking of cancelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2fW5EOzBI8

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: August 08, 2016, 12:20:34 PM »
Here is an unboxing video I came across on YT in case you still haven't received yours and are thinking of cancelling.

Jesus.. that guy couldn't have possibly made me any LESS excited for it.  That was a horrible unboxing video.

:rollin

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: August 08, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
The NOMAC was the real draw for me, but I thought all the other perks would be cool, too.  But since it's turned out that the other stuff is just available in the CD booklet itself, $150 or whatever I paid (including shipping) for a cheap (?) NOMAC is silly.

While I don't completely disagree with what you're saying (I received mine, box was slightly damaged, and at this point I was not overly excited), remember that most of us have already received other "parts" of the deluxe box set, including the CD, digital FLAC files, limited edition pin, signed poster, and vinyl LPs to go along with the NOMAC, playing cards, script, map, and movie poster.  So all in all, it's not such a bad set, but the deployment of it all was less than desirable to say the least.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #476 on: August 08, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »
While I don't completely disagree with what you're saying (I received mine, box was slightly damaged, and at this point I was not overly excited), remember that most of us have already received other "parts" of the deluxe box set, including the CD, digital FLAC files, limited edition pin, signed poster, and vinyl LPs to go along with the NOMAC, playing cards, script, map, and movie poster.  So all in all, it's not such a bad set, but the deployment of it all was less than desirable to say the least.

I've got the pin and signed poster, too.  Not sure what use the FLAC files are to me (didn't even consider digital stuff to be worth it to me, I just rip it straight from the CD).

The posters and cards are already available in the booklet and tour program, so there's really no need for me personally to have them in yet another format (I won't even hang the posters... does anyone actually do that?).

I've already contact RR to see what I need to do about a refund; no answer yet.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #477 on: August 08, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »
[duplicate]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:16:29 PM by zappafrank2112 »

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #478 on: August 08, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
So I sent RR an e-mail last night following up on their reply offering a refund to me, inquiring what I need to do to get the ball rolling on that.  I included the e-mail they'd sent to me offering the refund for reference.  This was around 2:30 AM EST, plenty of time to be received by start of business Monday morning.

I haven't heard anything all day, and about 20 minutes ago (after 8 PM EST), I received a shipping notification for my box set.  While it's conceivable that my e-mail was not looked at today, I would not at all be surprised if they simply "overlooked it" and went ahead and shipped the box set to me anyway, hoping I won't put up a fuss about returning it, since then they'll be liable for returning shipping and would lose the money they made off of me.

This whole thing is ridiculous, and I don't even want it anymore.  There's no reason for me to list it on Ebay b/c it's not even sold out, and it would be a dick move to try to gouge someone for more money when they can pay what I paid without a problem still.  I've seen an unboxing video (posted it earlier), and honestly there's nothing special at all outside of the NOMAC, which isn't worth $140 (cost + shipping), especially since you can't do anything with it since they didn't include any kind of stand.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #479 on: August 08, 2016, 06:38:40 PM »
Maybe I'm the only satisfied customer, but I received my order last week and found the box set to be quite impressive.  Everything arrived in tact and tightly packed.

The folded map and movie poster (yes, once upon a time, these were always folded!) both look great.  The NOMAC in the window box makes the whole package an attractive visual piece.

Coupled with the courtesy items (pin and signed poster) and heck even an extra CD, I must say as far as box sets go I found this to be well worth the money.  The wait was unfortunate, but I'm satisfied with the package that eventually arrived.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #480 on: August 08, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
What are people going to do with the extra CD?  It's pointless.  Not everyone has someone they can give it to if so desired.

Maybe they figured you'd want to listen to it again after already listening to the other copy, not unlike buying another copy of the book you just finished b/c you'd like to read it again. :P

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #481 on: August 08, 2016, 06:50:01 PM »
What are people going to do with the extra CD?  It's pointless.  Not everyone has someone they can give it to if so desired.

Maybe they figured you'd want to listen to it again after already listening to the other copy, not unlike buying another copy of the book you just finished b/c you'd like to read it again. :P
You can keep it in case the one you bought gets stratched or damaged.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #482 on: August 08, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »

You can keep it in case the one you bought gets stratched or damaged.

True, but the chances of that happening are minimal, one would think.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #483 on: August 08, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
Maybe I'm the only satisfied customer, but I received my order last week and found the box set to be quite impressive.  Everything arrived in tact and tightly packed.

The folded map and movie poster (yes, once upon a time, these were always folded!) both look great.  The NOMAC in the window box makes the whole package an attractive visual piece.

Coupled with the courtesy items (pin and signed poster) and heck even an extra CD, I must say as far as box sets go I found this to be well worth the money.  The wait was unfortunate, but I'm satisfied with the package that eventually arrived.

I'm satisfied, I got what was expected plus a pin and signed poster. It was nice of them to send the CD early so we can enjoy it and also include it in the actual box where it belongs originally.

What I'm not satisfied with is the handling of this order by RR. But, I bet they've been bombarded with emails and what not asking for this set, and maybe then they didn't have an answer. But they delivered now and I hope they'll learn from this fiasco to employ better customer service.

Also, I feel that since this was high priority and demand that once they got them, all the workers were immediately told to pack them ASAP and as quick as possible, which resulted in damaged boxes.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
So I sent RR an e-mail last night following up on their reply offering a refund to me, inquiring what I need to do to get the ball rolling on that.  I included the e-mail they'd sent to me offering the refund for reference.  This was around 2:30 AM EST, plenty of time to be received by start of business Monday morning.

I haven't heard anything all day, and about 20 minutes ago (after 8 PM EST), I received a shipping notification for my box set.  While it's conceivable that my e-mail was not looked at today, I would not at all be surprised if they simply "overlooked it" and went ahead and shipped the box set to me anyway, hoping I won't put up a fuss about returning it, since then they'll be liable for returning shipping and would lose the money they made off of me.

This whole thing is ridiculous, and I don't even want it anymore.  There's no reason for me to list it on Ebay b/c it's not even sold out, and it would be a dick move to try to gouge someone for more money when they can pay what I paid without a problem still.  I've seen an unboxing video (posted it earlier), and honestly there's nothing special at all outside of the NOMAC, which isn't worth $140 (cost + shipping), especially since you can't do anything with it since they didn't include any kind of stand.

I finally got my shipping notice. Now I just hope it arrives in good shape.

Offline bhull

« Reply #485 on: August 08, 2016, 07:22:56 PM »

Check out reply #7 at https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48095.0 for my unboxing vid.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #486 on: August 09, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »
I e-mailed RR customer support and got the some response everyone else did.  Blah blah highly anticipated blah blah we can refund your money.  Within two hours of getting that e-mail my shipment confirmation hit - ha!  We'll see how this goes.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #487 on: August 09, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »
So today, after sending an e-mail asking how I'd get the ball rolling on a refund, and then after getting an e-mail saying that my box set has shipped, I got an e-mail indicating that they refunded my card the full amount.

Now, mind you, I never actually said, "yes, please refund me," b/c I'd decided (yes, after all my blustering) that I wanted to at least have the box set in hand before making a final decision, so I find it curious that they went ahead and processed the refund without my explicit say-so.  Asking how to get the ball rolling really isn't the same as saying, "yes, please get the ball rolling."  But at the same time, they made my decision for me.

There was no indication in the refund e-mail whether they'd actually canceled my order in terms of shipping.  Looking at my account now, it says "refunded" and order closed, even though it still says "shipped" in the relevant places on the ledger.  So we'll see, I guess.  I wouldn't be surprised if one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, and I still receive the box set, at which point I'll contact them appropriately.

Yeah, the set looks nice in the vids I've seen, but like I've said, there's too much repetition from the booklet and then the tour program for me to justify paying all that money for the NOMAC, nice though it might be.  Even when I ordered the set, it was sort of a "OK, just do it, else you won't" moment, thinking "sure, why the hell not?"  But the whole hassle has just dampened my enthusiasm for it to the point where I feel I'd be like "Oh, the NOMAC, cool" which really shouldn't be the state of mind behind dropping over $150.

Unless the box set comes to me b/c of no cross communication b/w RR departments, that's it.  I imagine the set will still be available for a while, and might even drop in price.  Plus I'm guessing there are now more available due to refunds; I'd love to know what the number refunded has been.

Anyway, hopefully everyone else gets theirs with no issues.  Wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case, sad to say.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: August 11, 2016, 10:44:50 AM »
Mine seemed to have arrived unscathed. With extra padding.

No torn edges or anything.

Offline bhull

« Reply #489 on: August 11, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »
Mine seemed to have arrived unscathed. With extra padding.

No torn edges or anything.

Glad to see at least some people are getting theirs undamaged.

Another thing I've noticed on mine with the edge torn and sitting on a mantle...It doesn't sit right.  The box sort of wants to come apart due to the loss of structural rigidity.