Poll

What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"

I absolutely love it. This album's going to be the next Scenes from a memory!!!
68 (17.8%)
I really like it and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
207 (54.2%)
It's not the best song in the world, but I like it.
65 (17%)
It's okay, I'll still be interested in the album, just hoping other songs are better
35 (9.2%)
This is really a disappointment. I hope the other songs are way better . . .
7 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 374

Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"  (Read 51634 times)

Offline CoT67

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"
« Reply #420 on: December 11, 2015, 03:47:32 AM »
IMHO Mangini does great things with his kick drum patterns and certain odd grooves, but apart from that his parts seem to generally be "simple" and set compared to the more natural, shifting patterns of the Portnoy before SC.

The funny thing about MM's drum patterns is that some of them sound simple, but when you play them, you realize that he has been using a lot of limb combos that it's hard to play.

With MP, on the other hand, a lot of fills sound complicated, but when you play them, they are actually quite simple.

They really just have different musicalities. MM loves bass drum patterns. MP loves hi-hats. MM loves orchestrating in sync with the other instruments. MP loves creating patterns distinct from the other instruments and inserting fills. They are just different.

I totally agree.
Reading my post again makes me look like I was bashing MM, in fact it was just a personal observation based on how MM parts fit in the whole picture of a DT song. As you've said, MP's ones tended to be a lot more independent (IMHO with mixed results), and that's what everyone has been used to since the beginning.

Honestly, I do love the sort of modern, very technical influence MM brought to DT. It's been a good refresher after, for example, the more metal-y sixteenth-note straight kick patterns of Portnoy in his last two albums, and to me his playing feels much more inspired overall than the last MP albums.

The only thing that bugs me a bit about the new sound overall is that it feels a bit more straightforward than in the past, but I don't think MM's all to blame for it, I think it's just the new DT's general attitude to songwriting.

That said, I think that with at least 28 more songs to listen to (not counting the NOMACS ones for now), there has to be some more variety to it, so it's quite early to judge the overall sound now. Either way, I'm sure I'll really enjoy TA, regardless of any "technical" issues.

EDIT: My BRUTAH is a drummer and from what I remember of him talking about MM vs MP's parts, he tended to agree to your opinion. I guess drummers have much more say than guitar players on this issue  :biggrin:
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #421 on: December 11, 2015, 07:07:15 AM »
I really like the song.  Intro riff reminds me of WDADU, but not in a bad way.  Just haven't heard that right hand pattern from JP in a while.  I love the choir.  I think it would be awesome if there was meaningful choir throughout the album.   but I really love JR's distorted organ tone right around 2:58.  I hope to hear more of this too!!!

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #422 on: December 11, 2015, 09:13:53 AM »
When the choir comes in as well as when the solo starts and continues. Both goosebump moments everytime. Still not feeling the drum production at all which is unfortunate but absolutely loving the songwriting in The Gift Of Music.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #423 on: December 11, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but the main verse/theme reminds me of Blind Faith. If I'm humming along, when JLB says "far in the distant future" or the other times that melody comes, I almost always say "sorry you must excuse me" instead.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #424 on: December 11, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »
I hadn't notice the similarity in phrasing there, but yeah, good catch.  I doubt it was intentional, but definite similarity in phrasing there.  Similar melody as well, albeit in a different key.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.
« Reply #425 on: December 11, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »
One week after listening to the song I think I can write a definitive comment about it. I took some time with this one because at first I loved TEI, but it turns out that I ended up not liking it that much.
I can now confirm that the old DT magic is really into TGOM. It just has a lot of what DT does best in under 5 minutes (Isn't that what DT12 was supposed to be? haha).
The mix is still not perfect but it doesn't spoil the listening like it happened with the last one. I have to say that the songwriting here is solid and that is what got me officially hyped to hear the rest of the album.  :tup

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
I can now confirm that the old DT magic is really into TGOM. It just has a lot of what DT does best in under 5 minutes (Isn't that what DT12 was supposed to be? haha).

I think Dream Theater the album was the practice they needed to be able to write short songs that eventually allowed them to write a 34-song double album. So I would not really be laughing at DT12. It was a step they had to take to get to this point.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2015, 02:15:29 PM »
I loved the song. If the rest of the album maintains this level of quality, I will be very happy with it. Mike Mangini's performance sounds great to me as well; there are a lot of subtleties in his playing that really add to the song and I do not mind his ultra precise and consistent style.

I think Dream Theater the album was the practice they needed to be able to write short songs that eventually allowed them to write a 34-song double album. So I would not really be laughing at DT12. It was a step they had to take to get to this point.

I actually think even when The Astonishing comes out and turns out to be excellent, I will probably still think that DT12 is an incredibly good album and much more than a steppping stone. It may not be that groundbreaking, but IMO it still lives up to my initial expectations.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #428 on: December 11, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »

I don't think this at all. They know how to write short songs as they've had many in their past. Every album has short songs and a lot of their longer songs could be broken into smaller songs because of the way some of them are arranged.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #429 on: December 11, 2015, 04:57:18 PM »
So, I've been listening to this song for some time now, and I can say I really like it, unlike the first time I heard it (it was just an ok song then). They've progressed since self-titled in terms of writing short songs, back then, songs sounded much shorter than they needed to be, this song is pretty short, but sounds as long as it should. However, I'm afraid we'll only have short songs like this one... They might have learned to write short songs, but I don't want every song like that

Btw, did they ever do keyboard/guitar independent solos at the same time, like in this song? I'm fascinated with that solo...
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #430 on: December 12, 2015, 12:40:46 AM »
Btw, did they ever do keyboard/guitar independent solos at the same time, like in this song? I'm fascinated with that solo...

My memory may fail me, but I don't recall them ever doing that.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #431 on: December 12, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »

I don't think this at all. They know how to write short songs as they've had many in their past. Every album has short songs and a lot of their longer songs could be broken into smaller songs because of the way some of them are arranged.

You know what, you're right. I stand corrected. Surrounded is the perfect example.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:25:46 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.
« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2015, 10:00:18 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I like that album a lot! It's just very different from what I expected regarding the way that band promoted it.

I can agree to what you said.  :)

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #433 on: December 12, 2015, 12:31:34 PM »
Please compare from 0:47 "Changing the course of history"
With
"Though you may stand upon my grave" from Outcry.
Sounds the same, note by note...
Anyway very short... So no big problem (and that was the best part of Outcry which I don't like much for the rest).
From Rome, with love.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #434 on: December 12, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Still absolutely loving it.  Listened on better gear today and oh my...Mr Myung is playing some incredibly tasty lines on the verses and chorus...
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #435 on: December 12, 2015, 08:09:04 PM »

You know what, you're right. I stand corrected. Surrounded is the perfect example.

That is definitely one of the best examples. Others come to mind such as Another Day, Afterlife, Innocence Faded, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, These Walls, Wither, This Is The Life, and if you break down Six Degrees to its smaller parts, both About To Crash songs.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #436 on: December 14, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
Like a lot of Dream Theater's better music (imho, of course) this song's intricacies take time to fully absorb.  Also, I'm not a huge fan of singles from concept albums because they often fall much flatter than intended without the context of other songs surrounding it. 

I know they have to release a single to pimp the album, but I preferred the old days when we'd get a 2 or 3 minute tour of highlights from the entire album rather than one full track. 

That's just me, though.  You know, like get off my lawn!  :P

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #437 on: December 14, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »
Took some time to notice the brass section in the beginning of the song, when full band comes in. Amazing. No. ASTONISHING

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »
Took some time to notice the brass section in the beginning of the song, when full band comes in. Amazing. No. ASTONISHING

It's those things that made me like DT. The small things you discover after multiple listens. ASTONISHING  :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
I should also say, I've really liked all of the past first single/song releases from the past couple albums. I think for sure I can say I like this one better than I liked TEI when it first came out, but it's a close fight between this and OTBOA's release. Right now I'm leaning TGOM just slightly.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #440 on: December 15, 2015, 09:38:09 AM »
Honestly I liked TEI much more when it just came out than this song, so :metal

But this one's great too.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: December 15, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
My very first impression of The Enemy Inside was  :omg: oh my fuck - those drums !!! Because they were so loud.

I got really tired of them being so present on the album after a while though.

The Gift Of Music mix is a LOT more balanced.

AND I listened to it on my iPod the other day and noticed that even on full volume - it was as quiet as my own music. So that means it's not mastered stupidly loud.

It does seem to have more breathing room - probably to accommodate the orchestra and choir - but whatever. It sounds great overall.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #442 on: December 15, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
Please compare from 0:47 "Changing the course of history"
With
"Though you may stand upon my grave" from Outcry.
Sounds the same, note by note...
Anyway very short... So no big problem (and that was the best part of Outcry which I don't like much for the rest).

Don't let Thiago Campos see this.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: December 15, 2015, 10:22:19 AM »
I noticed that upon my first listening too.  :lol

But that has happened with their music dozens of times before over the decades. It's nothing new or significant.

Offline emtee

« Reply #444 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »
It's been about 2 weeks now, are you guys liking it more, less or the same?

I think it's a good solid DT song but I'm not blown away by it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #445 on: December 16, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »

I think that's a good statement about it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #446 on: December 16, 2015, 11:39:36 AM »

Roughly the same, I think it's good but nothing makes it oustanding.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #447 on: December 16, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
What would it take for a DT song, after 12 albums and some 140 unique compositions that DT has released over the years, to blow you away? I think at this point in time it's an impossible task unless they COMPLETELY divert from their style and start doing some polka-pop-progressive-fusion.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: December 16, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
After two weeks, the choir section is still top tier. The rest is above average, so all in all, still a good song. That's my official rating right now: good.

Offline emtee

« Reply #449 on: December 16, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
What would it take for a DT song, after 12 albums and some 140 unique compositions that DT has released over the years, to blow you away? I think at this point in time it's an impossible task unless they COMPLETELY divert from their style and start doing some polka-pop-progressive-fusion.

That is truly an unanswerable question because it's all about how music affects you. I don't want DT to stray from their style, it's not fair
to expect that. Sometimes music just hits you a certain way and recently 2 bands with even longer careers really moved me. Iron
Maiden and Rush. Many songs from their last 2 albums blew me away. So it's certainly not impossible. Matter of fact I feel VERY
strongly that there will be songs on this DT album that blow me away.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #450 on: December 16, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »

My personal enjoyment of DT always came from the fact that they took great strides between albums. IAW->Awake->FII->SFAM->6DOIT->ToT was a continuous roller-coaster ride of "holy shit, this completely different again". For better or for worse, they stopped doing that when they signed with RR, and since then it's been incremental changes.
That for me puts a natural limit on how much I can enjoy new DT albums. It's also the reason why Steven Wilson and Opeth have steadily increase in my rating, and DT has slowly dropped.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »

My personal enjoyment of DT always came from the fact that they took great strides between albums. IAW->Awake->FII->SFAM->6DOIT->ToT was a continuous roller-coaster ride of "holy shit, this completely different again". For better or for worse, they stopped doing that when they signed with RR, and since then it's been incremental changes.
That for me puts a natural limit on how much I can enjoy new DT albums. It's also the reason why Steven Wilson and Opeth have steadily increase in my rating, and DT has slowly dropped.

The fact that they do change, sometimes drastically, from album to album does tend to alienate a lot of people. If you're someone who's a completely metalhead, you're not going to find everything they do appealing. If you like their more melodic and Rush-sounding side, there is going to be a lot that doesn't appeal to you. If you think they play songs that are far too long and have far too much self-indulgent wankery, you're going to dislike many of their songs. I don't think they can appeal to everyone every time, so they make the music they love, hoping to keep the same fans while gaining new ones. They aren't always going to hit the mark. Constructive criticism like Rumbo's is always welcome and intriguing to process, because he makes some valid points. Dream Theater have been around for over thirty years and most of us who have been fans since the beginning, or at least since Images and Words, have probably had drastic changes in musical tastes. Eventually, certain music falls out of favor and gets replaced. It happens to all of us.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »

I haven't felt like listening to it since it came out, so the same. I agree with your second sentence.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »
DT14's lead single will be 2 minutes long...  :hat
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #454 on: December 16, 2015, 06:26:04 PM »
DT14's lead single will be 2 minutes long...  :hat

Canadian Rap with a 1 minute bebot solo confirmed!