Poll

What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"

I absolutely love it. This album's going to be the next Scenes from a memory!!!
68 (17.8%)
I really like it and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
207 (54.2%)
It's not the best song in the world, but I like it.
65 (17%)
It's okay, I'll still be interested in the album, just hoping other songs are better
35 (9.2%)
This is really a disappointment. I hope the other songs are way better . . .
7 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 374

Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"  (Read 50627 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"
« Reply #455 on: December 17, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »
I really like it. It has a lot of different 'feels' to it. The second half kicks into proggyness gear nicely. Very neat intricate section.  :hefdaddy Feel a great moodswing coming up right at the ending there, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #456 on: December 27, 2015, 02:04:42 AM »
I'm getting a good These Walls Vibe, that I don't think no one snapped about.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #457 on: December 28, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »
I'm really loving it . After listening to it on my phone for a few weeks I thought the sound quality and balance was meh , but I just got beats headphones and there is so much more going on and I am amazed at myungs sound . He's spot on it seems , him and mangini are meshing really well . ( at least on TGOM so far )

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:04 AM »
I've only listened to it a few times, but my immediate thoughts are 1) Wow, this is fast...very uptempo! A good thing! and 2) Mangini has more punch in the mix compared to the previous two albums. Again, a positive move forward.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #459 on: December 29, 2015, 06:38:49 AM »
Agreed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2015, 06:53:28 AM »
Agreed.

Hagrid? Well, we all know you're a Harry Potter fan, but..Wait, did you write "Agreed"? Sorry, my mistake!
On topic, good song and overall good mix, but I can't get used to MM's playing. Sorry, but it sounds very uninspired to my ear, as untrained as it is. Hope the rest is better and this is coming from someone who was really happy at MM having the drummer seat.

B.Lee

EDIT : rather than uninspired, I would say too "metal" on this somewhat "light" track.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline palmeiras

« Reply #461 on: December 29, 2015, 06:56:27 AM »
Great song. Great mike mangini drumming.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #462 on: December 29, 2015, 07:23:11 AM »
Great song. Great mike mangini drumming.

agreed on both points.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #463 on: December 30, 2015, 01:29:28 PM »
It's been about 2 weeks now, are you guys liking it more, less or the same?

I think it's a good solid DT song but I'm not blown away by it.

I gotta say, this is my favorite DT single they've released since I've been around (which is admittedly only since SC). I instantly liked this track the very first time I listened to it. I worried that maybe it was just initial excitement...but no! Every day at work I give it a few listens and every time, I fucking love it, haha. I really was not a fan of TEI, and the album was only marginally better for me. I liked OtBoA pretty well, not a favorite or anything, but good for a single, and over time, ADToE became one of my favorite albums. But not right away. With how much I'm absolutely loving TGOM, I can only imagine how amazing the rest of the album is going to be for me...I'm so fucking excited!
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #464 on: December 30, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
I really liked the single but I've purposely stayed away to keep if fresh.  This is an album you replay from start to finish a ton of times.  If I listen to a single too much before an album comes out, I tend to skip it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #465 on: December 30, 2015, 01:40:44 PM »
I really liked the single but I've purposely stayed away to keep if fresh.  This is an album you replay from start to finish a ton of times.  If I listen to a single too much before an album comes out, I tend to skip it.
Pretty much this, haven't spun it to death just yet, although I gotta admit when it comes on randomly with shuffle I don't turn it off.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #466 on: December 30, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
Pretty much this, haven't spun it to death just yet, although I gotta admit when it comes on randomly with shuffle I don't turn it off.

This exactly.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #467 on: December 30, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »

This exactly.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #468 on: December 30, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »

How many times have you listened to it? I've listened to TGoM three times (five if covers are included).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #469 on: December 30, 2015, 01:56:29 PM »
3 times so far and that was early on.  It will seem fresh to me.  It's important on this album with the storytelling as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #470 on: December 30, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
I have not listened yet and plan to listen to both disks January 29 with my best headphones.  Of course I have thought about holding of until I see them in Cincinnati in April.  My wife says this idea is just 'bat shit crazy'.  I told her that phrase applies to our son's in laws. 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: December 30, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »

Agreed. I think I've listened to it only three or four times as well.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #472 on: December 30, 2015, 10:05:54 PM »
Am I the only one who hears: "we are living day to day, forced to beg and lie in shit"? It's bothered me that I keep hearing that even when I checked out the real lyrics  :(
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: December 30, 2015, 11:13:22 PM »
I had only listened to it twice when it was released and haven't played it since.  I'll wait till the album is released.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #474 on: December 31, 2015, 02:36:56 AM »
I had only listened to it twice when it was released and haven't played it since.  I'll wait till the album is released.

I haven't heard it in three weeks and I can still remember it  >:(
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: December 31, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »
I think I have listened four or five times a couple of weeks ago... liking it a lot... no more listens now until the album drops

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #476 on: December 31, 2015, 05:05:07 AM »

I haven't heard it in three weeks and I can still remember it  >:(

Is it a bad thing or you're just angry at the fact that since you remember it, it won't be new the next time you hear it?

B.Lee

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2021, 10:33:57 PM »
This song is very much still like About To Crash Pt3 to me.
One of the softer sections sounds like Far From Heaven as well.
The ending bit sounds like Breaking All Illusions.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »
It's not the best song in the world, but I like it.  I like the video too.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #479 on: January 04, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »
This song is amazing. It only gets BETTER as time goes on. Corruption, lust and greed define the new nobility. I don’t need to explain how well that has aged. Music is a driving force. Let’s make OUR NEW WORLD one filled with rock and roll.