Poll

What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"

I absolutely love it. This album's going to be the next Scenes from a memory!!!
68 (17.8%)
I really like it and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
207 (54.2%)
It's not the best song in the world, but I like it.
65 (17%)
It's okay, I'll still be interested in the album, just hoping other songs are better
35 (9.2%)
This is really a disappointment. I hope the other songs are way better . . .
7 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 374

Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"  (Read 51629 times)

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2015, 04:46:43 AM »
When "The Enemy Inside" was released during the last album cycle on SoundCloud and YouTube, listening to it fatigued me to so much right from the first time I almost immediately disliked it. Even knowing and understanding the underlying production issues and additional compression on SC and YT didn't help, it just felt too strenuous and taxing to enjoy the song for the relentless force and awesome live show opener it is. I was unable to appreciate certain songs and sections until I bought the HD tracks version of the album. Still the mix itself remained cluttered and the album didn't get the same amount of spins that previous releases got by a long shot

Listening to "The Gift Of Music" for the first time on YT felt very different. Being able to discern individual details and getting a pretty dynamic mix of a tune with room to breathe, even in its compressed YT state, was a very promising surprise indeed. And although I'm perfectly happy with the production listening to the 320kbps box set pre-order download I really hope for an even better and yet more dynamic HD tracks release.

I really feel like those four minutes are somehow more of a statement and representation of "what DT is all about" than what they claimed the self titled album to be. It's DT now with DT history shining through, pretty good the first time but growing with every spin.

And even though I really like the song so far it seems like it's but a teaser for what they're yet to unleash. :o

Greetings...
Nef

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2015, 04:53:29 AM »
The first few times i listened to DT's selftitled, I thought to my self: WTF is this? I can't remember a single melody. There's nothing here! Worst album EVER. The fact that it's as loud and busy as it is, combined with the watermark artifact, just made the whole listening experience a complete downer to me. I had to struggle to reset my brain from that initial disappointmen, and look beyond the sound quality and into the songs themselves to see what actually was happening.

The first time I heard the new tracks from TA, I was completely blown away with the clarity and the openness in the sound. There's so much more breathing here! Even though it's actually even more busy considering you have strings, brass and choirs in the bedding of the track, it just invites a listen.

The only thing i'm not terribly fond of is the machine gun snare.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »
The only thing i'm not terribly fond of is the machine gun snare.

You know what, I've finally found waht buggers me in TGoM : it's not so much the snare sound as the overuse of the snare by MM.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
When "The Enemy Inside" was released during the last album cycle on SoundCloud and YouTube, listening to it fatigued me to so much right from the first time I almost immediately disliked it. Even knowing and understanding the underlying production issues and additional compression on SC and YT didn't help, it just felt too strenuous and taxing to enjoy the song for the relentless force and awesome live show opener it is. I was unable to appreciate certain songs and sections until I bought the HD tracks version of the album. Still the mix itself remained cluttered and the album didn't get the same amount of spins that previous releases got by a long shot

Listening to "The Gift Of Music" for the first time on YT felt very different. Being able to discern individual details and getting a pretty dynamic mix of a tune with room to breathe, even in its compressed YT state, was a very promising surprise indeed. And although I'm perfectly happy with the production listening to the 320kbps box set pre-order download I really hope for an even better and yet more dynamic HD tracks release.

I really feel like those four minutes are somehow more of a statement and representation of "what DT is all about" than what they claimed the self titled album to be. It's DT now with DT history shining through, pretty good the first time but growing with every spin.

And even though I really like the song so far it seems like it's but a teaser for what they're yet to unleash. :o

Greetings...
Nef

I couldn't agree more about TGOM!!! DT12 has kind of growed on me (at first I was similar to you) but I can already feel that this may be an album for the ages. Gives me a really positive feeling about this latest venture :)
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »
Love the positive feedback for the song, which makes me wonder why a lot do not like TLG as much even if it has the same vibe. Is it the instrumental?

I agree with the others. But to be fair this is a good question to bring up! :tup

TLG was by all means a good song, but nothing great to me. Just like as another here said, not the same energy and ambitiousness that makes Dream Theater Dream Theater for me. I still enjoy a listen to that track, but TGOM I'm just addicted to!!! It just has that special factor to it that reminds me of my favorite era of DT (SFAM-SDOIT-TOT). So I guess it's all personal preference for me :angel:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Yeah The Gift Of Music sounds a lot less compressed overall. So it's easy to listen to.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
DAT CHOIR.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2015, 01:42:25 PM »

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2015, 01:46:36 PM »
So 309 votes . . . I think that's a sizable sample of DT fans! ;)

229 Love it/Really like it

76 like it/think it's okay

and 4 are disappointed

Looks like the song was a success by the band! Thanks everyone for taking the time to vote!!!

Y'all rock :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »
ikr
Is this even a real thing? I see you use it quite a lot, but I've literally never noticed anyone else use it ever.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:50 PM »
ikr
Is this even a real thing? I see you use it quite a lot, but I've literally never noticed anyone else use it ever.

It's a word in his native language.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #291 on: December 06, 2015, 02:45:53 PM »
ikr

:lol :rollin

It means "I know, right?" It must be an abbreviation just us millennials use . . . sorry for the confusion :biggrin:

ikr

It's a word in his native language.

. . . or we can go with that. Yeah, I'm native in NOMAC speak :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
I believe it's a word originating from the twitters or some other futuristic website.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2015, 02:56:24 PM »
 :lol yep I know, I'm the poster child for everything that's wrong with my generation :rollin

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »
ikr

:lol :rollin

It means "I know, right?" It must be an abbreviation just us millennials use . . . sorry for the confusion :biggrin:
Oh I'd worked out what it meant, I've just never seen it before.

I guess people don't really use abbreviations like that here, except sometimes ironically. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2015, 03:10:13 PM »

I really feel like those four minutes (TGOM) are somehow more of a statement and representation of "what DT is all about" than what they claimed the self titled album to be.

Nef

Yes, yes, yes! I am so with you on this.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
:lol yep I know, I'm the poster child for everything that's wrong with my generation :rollin
Don't sweat it I'm 19  :P
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #298 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:07 PM »
 :)

I'll chill it a bit with the abbreviations considering we have a diverse group of people here (different nationalities, different age groups, etc...). I know you guys are just joking around and it's no big deal but still don't want to confuse any people :angel:

On the other hand, I really need to refresh myself with DT-related abbreviations. I know all the albums but sometimes a song abbreviation is brought up and I'm like "whaaat" :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #299 on: December 06, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »
This album is gonna suck for abbreviations. We've never had 34 new ones at one time  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
On the other hand, I really need to refresh myself with DT-related abbreviations. I know all the albums but sometimes a song abbreviation is brought up and I'm like "whaaat" :lol
:lol Yeah, that at least is the one thing we have in common.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2015, 03:30:24 PM »
This album is gonna suck for abbreviations. We've never had 34 new ones at one time  :lol

I'm a fan of the abbreviations usually, but when I've seen "TA" on here a few times I keep thinking people are talking about Transatlantic.

I just listented to TGOM again and have decided it's ALL about the choir. Sure they whole track is great, but that choir sounds giving it the old Devin vibes is just taking it to another level. It's something DT have never done before, and it's just so fucking awesome.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2015, 03:31:04 PM »
At least now we know why they decided to call the final track Astonishing without The, they didn't want to confuse DTF with the The Answer/The Astonishing mixup, man Dream Theater is such a caring group of people.

Offline Gpals71

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »
It just occurred to me that 'solo battle' at the end probably represents the conflict at the heart of the album, the artificial sounds of the NOMACs as the keyboards on the left channel, and the music of Gabriel as the guitar on the right channel.

Yeah!!!
The "Battle" from 3:38 to 3:54 is so cool. I hope for more of that

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: December 06, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »
They hinted in the promotional emails that they reprogrammed one of the Nomacs, that ending solo dual between Rudess and Pertucci sounds like possible allusions to that?? regular Nomacs are supposed to create noise, that solo by Rudess is actually quite melodic but very computerish sounding. Anyone have more speculation with what the Empires Nomacs music will sound like?

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
DotN    
DO    
TGOM
Ta   
ABL   
LN   
ASITS
WYTHC
AoF
TD
THS
B,CYHM    
ALLB   
R can no longer just be Repentance, even though I'm fairly sure it didn't get abbriviated that way very much.   
ATO    
DD   
TXA     
ANB    
TRTR   
2285E    
MOB
HC   
BA   
TPTD   
MC   
TWS     
MLF
LF   
WOTW    
HoaTV   
ONW
PD   
Ass

Hmm, just wanted to do that to get a visual on them. This is gonna seriously hurt my brain...    :rollin

The only ones that are instantly standing out to me at the moment are Brother, can you here me and The Road To Revolution. I guess TA looks familiar but I assume we'll have to separate The Astonishing with The Answer similarly to Train of Thought and Trial of Tears. TGOM looked weird to me a few times today but it's sinking in.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:28:12 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »
You think TGOM looks weird but you narrow "Astonishing" down to "Ass"? :lol

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
 :lol I'm gonna have to get used to saying "Ass" every time I refer to a song ;D

But seriously good job on figuring the abbreviations out! These could work :)

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
Yeah lol. I guess we can't really abbreviate that one properly (that's why I left out Chosen and almost Ravenskill). Although we got creative with 8vm so I put my best creative foot forwards and thought for Astonishing... Ass. :P

Offline jsbru

« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2015, 05:08:27 PM »
Love the positive feedback for the song, which makes me wonder why a lot do not like TLG as much even if it has the same vibe. Is it the instrumental?

TLG is my favorite song from DT12 (although TBP keeps creeping up on it).  Even so, TLG does immediately scream "Rush," whereas TGOM immediately screams "Dream Theater."

I think both are great songs.  TGOM keeps getting better every time I play it, and every time I hear it in better resolution.  You almost have to listen to it with headphones on to hear all the little details.  It still gives me this feeling like it's under-developed as a stand alone track, though, and it will sound a lot more satisfying in the context of the entire album.  Which of course is the whole point of this album.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2015, 05:49:56 PM »
Since I haven't listened to the song, and the only concern I have is the sound of the drums:
Can anyone please tell me if the snare and bass drum sorta sound like DT12 (wich is almost as horrible as I&W) or like any other album? I don't doubt that TA will be a monumental masterpiece (I am a fanboy), but I am concerned about the drum sound.
Please anyone give me a detailed description of bass drum and snare drum :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
The kicks, to me, sound like typical triggered kicks, similar to DT12, but with a bit more volume. The snare still sounds gated, but sounds a bit more organic compared to DT12. I really do miss the crack of a snare in DT. To me, it is an improvement over 12, but still think it needs work.

The drums never detracted from 12 for me and they won't for this one either.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
I want to make the argument that they sound great both natural and triggered. I&W is pretty much perfect, but so is SFAM and they couldn't be on more opposite ends of the spectrum.

It's like saying blue is better or worse than red.

You could stick an iPhone in the middle of the room and record these guys and they could make art.

gift of music is on steroids. Every aspect of their music and career is in there somehow. The musical decisions made, note/register selection is seamless and it's so nuanced on every level.

JP and JR are like a singular organism at this point. I think this will be their greatest album, can't wait to see them when they come to NY. I hope they play radio city again!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2015, 07:11:32 PM »
Since many are comparing The Gift of Music to About to Crash, I decided to play them on a loop on my commute to work. They indeed have a lot of similarities. :) I love how the differences in Portnoy and Mangini's drumming really show when you listen to the two songs. Portnoy loves his cymbals. Mangini loves his bass drums.  Portnoy loves inserting fills. Mangini loves going up and down the scale with the other instruments.  I am happy that  we get to hear two great drummers with different styles in the Dream Theater repertoire.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »
My personal assessment is that the drums remain the weakest part in the mix. The snare is indeed gated with a ton a reverb on it, and the bass drum during the instrumental section sounds a bit like a typewriter. Better than on DT12, but still suffering from a lot of the same issues.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."