Poll

What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"

I absolutely love it. This album's going to be the next Scenes from a memory!!!
68 (17.8%)
I really like it and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
207 (54.2%)
It's not the best song in the world, but I like it.
65 (17%)
It's okay, I'll still be interested in the album, just hoping other songs are better
35 (9.2%)
This is really a disappointment. I hope the other songs are way better . . .
7 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 374

Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"  (Read 51080 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2015, 12:39:46 AM »
It's Ok.

I could be cool, within the context of the album. But as a standalone song, it's not that great. And like the last couple of albums, the mix sounds pretty bad.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2015, 12:50:22 AM »
I'll put it this way: If this is clearly one of the...oh, eight best tracks on the album, I'll probably be at least a little disappointed (the part of me that wants to expect over-the-top greatness will be, anyway). But if it's one of the eight worst tracks, then holy hell is this going to be something.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »
I'll put it this way: If this is clearly one of the...oh, eight best tracks on the album, I'll probably be at least a little disappointed (the part of me that wants to expect over-the-top greatness will be, anyway). But if it's one of the eight worst tracks, then holy hell is this going to be something.

As they're not officially calling this a single, I think the choice of this track is based on being reasonable length, that works standalone, that doesn't give away anything about the story, hence them choosing one of the first tracks (and possibly the first with lyrics).
Not that they'd put a weak song out first (or even record/release a song they felt was weak in the first place), but they were possibly more limited than usual in what song to release, unlike the usual situation where it sounds like a song is written with being a "single" in the back of their mind.
And it goes without saying that we're hearing it out of context. If I'd heard Strange Deja Vu out of context, I may not have thought it was indicative of a great album, but every song has its role.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2015, 12:55:58 AM »
The keyboards are buried on recent DT albums. It's the wall of guitars that are the problem.

The mix on TGOM sounds more balanced.

Yes. The guitars on DT12 were a bit too upfront and exhausting.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2015, 01:03:46 AM »
went with "Okay".

just seems like I've heard this song already, just in a different form.

Kinda how I feel about it as of now. I might need to listen to it a few more times though.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2015, 01:08:08 AM »
Not calling it a single is just a technicality. A single would indicate an actual "product, while this is just the release of the first track of an album as a preview. The difference is subtle and mostly business-y.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2015, 01:08:46 AM »
It's okay, I bet it's better in context of the album. I can't really judge the mix or production from a Youtube clip.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2015, 01:16:08 AM »
Not calling it a single is just a technicality. A single would indicate an actual "product, while this is just the release of the first track of an album as a preview. The difference is subtle and mostly business-y.

It is only a technicality (if even that), but from the band's perspective, I think there is the distinction of it being more of a small teaser of a larger piece, rather than an album of individual songs where they've written and chosen a song to appeal to a larger market to sell an album.
From our perspective it's a trivial difference, but the concept album / rock opera thing does change the thought process for the band.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2015, 01:27:26 AM »

Quite. It's a "sample" which you can buy. Therefore it's a product. Therefore it's not a sample ??

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2015, 01:41:19 AM »
Calling it now: In all irony, this will be the "single" that gets Dream Theater their first Grammy win.

Good song that will probably sound better within the overall context of the album.  The call and response solos at the end are daring and unexpected, and I'm on board with it.

I'm really digging James' performance - Explorers Club, Mullmuzzler (1:53) (and maybe even a lil Maiden).  Maybe the best he's done in years.

Jordan's orchestration at 2:53 is very engaging, and the patches sound like his usual palette with some tweaks.  That whole instrumental section is very Pleasant Shade of Grey (with a touch of New Math/OSI)

Production wise, it's "meh, with improvements."  The guitar tone has less chocoate frosting, which is good.  More breathing room, less brickwall, but the drums may be too present and overwhelming.  Gosh, I really miss Andy Wallace.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2015, 02:00:27 AM »
As an obvious about to crash fan I really like the song! But it's kinda how Metropolis Pt 2 seems to me, I don't really enjoy it half as much as stand alone tracks, and considering there are 33 other tracks it's really best to listen to the concept as a whole, I couldn't resist though when it came out even though I said I would hahaha

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2015, 02:09:29 AM »
Production wise, it's "meh, with improvements."  The guitar tone has less chocoate frosting, which is good.  More breathing room, less brickwall, but the drums may be too present and overwhelming.  Gosh, I really miss Andy Wallace.

Andy Wallace, the guy responsible for their worst mixed album this side of WDADU?
Kevin Shirley is still responsible for all of my favourite sounding DT albums, but I think Richard Chycki has found his sound with DT with this one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2015, 02:13:33 AM »

Andy Wallace, the guy responsible for their worst mixed album this side of WDADU?

Yeah that album sounds very demoey and unbalanced.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2015, 02:13:47 AM »
Kevin Shirley is still responsible for all of my favourite sounding DT albums, but I think Richard Chycki has found his sound with DT with this one.
Really hard to tell just yet, but it definitely has the potential to be the one where he's managed to refine his style with them and get a really good sound out. Time will tell.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2015, 02:32:29 AM »

Agree to disagree, but I will admit it's a polarizing mix. After the balls of BCSL, it took a moment to embrace the ADTOE mix, but ultimately,  I found the keyboard heavy mix refreshing.

I will add that the performance Rich is pulling/capturing from James in the Gift of Music is spectacular - so the chemistry is palpable and invaluable.  Give him credit for that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:46:26 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2015, 02:43:26 AM »
As for the mix, I think it sounds infinitely better on head phones than through the crappy computer speakers I listened with yesterday. I'll be very well pleased if the entire album sounds like this!

Against my better judgement, I'm starting to feel stirrings (you know what I mean) for this album.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:00:21 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Pettor

« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2015, 02:56:23 AM »
I am so happy for this! The album got me very excited when details started to emerge to the point I felt afraid of even hearing this. What if it was just a normal riff song with the same same? Will this album just be a concept album with the DT we have heard so many times? But no, this is EXACTLY the DT I love!

James is on fire with wonderful melodic lines. Not sure when he sounded this awesome before!?! DT has often had this "talk singing" songs lately like The Shattered Fortress, The Enemy Inside etc. I like those song a lot but the melodic prog is what made me fall in love with DT to begin with. It sounds like a modern SDOIT / SFAM and that is the best thing that could happen imo.

There is just so much to this song in only 4 minutes. And it doesn't feel stressed, just very well planned out. And great guitarr solo and love the choir part backing up James.

If my hype level was high before it's exploding right now. How the hell do I wait until Januari now?

Only strange part is why Youtube still get these low quality mp3 files uploaded? We know it doesn't have to be this way ;)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2015, 02:58:32 AM »
Definitely sounds a bit better listening on Spotify.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2015, 03:01:47 AM »

I'll need to give that a listen. Stat.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2015, 03:04:28 AM »

Thanks for the tip. Didn't even think of that. Even the free version is 160kb/s which is already much better quality than Youtube.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2015, 03:06:12 AM »
Yes thank you! Spotify sounds a lot better actually! There were so many artifacts on the Youtube-version that is not there on Spotify  :tup

Loving the choir  :metal

Offline CoT67

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »

They still had Paul Northfield onboard and they didn't make the album sound like BC&SL... while this one was definitely not the most balanced mix ever in the history of DT (that goes either to FII or SDOIT IMHO), it had a "powerful, brickwall" sound that was much more dynamic and natural in comparison to the Chycki "everything in your face" mixes.

Guitars had much more top end in the previous albums, keyboards had more presence and the drums obviously didn't sound as triggered/compressed. The stereo image was usually really good.

I just hope they'll eventually go back to a real, open and organic sound instead of going for the "in your face" thing.

EDIT: And just for the record, I really think the TGOM mix is better than DT12 and much more appreciable. I guess that as long as the music's right, TA will still be an amazing album.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:36:02 AM by CoT67 »
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline YtseJohn

• Whahibrido Pickingant goes to 11

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »

Thanks for the tip. Didn't even think of that. Even the free version is 160kb/s which is already much better quality than Youtube.

It sounds great with the upgraded (extreme) quality. You can definitely hear the difference between that and the YouTube version.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2015, 06:36:27 AM »
In particular, the parts are all a bit clearer - I can definitely hear the choir parts more easily on Spotify.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2015, 06:43:18 AM »
In particular, the parts are all a bit clearer - I can definitely hear the choir parts more easily on Spotify.

That was the part I was most excited to hear on the higher quality stream, because it got particularly smooshed on Youtube, being a denser section.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2015, 06:53:28 AM »
Bought the iTunes version, definitely better than the YouTube stream, that was expected. Still the sound lacks some bass and oomph, it's a little sterile and cymbals could be louder, but it's a definite improvement over DT12. I'm pretty sure the bass drums are triggered, and i would prefer something more punchy and less clicky.
JR is very present in the mix, and guitar is less overpowering, which is great since it gives more balance.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »
Bought the iTunes version, definitely better than the YouTube stream, that was expected.

Same here, and I agree. The piano is much more audible on this version, and the "popping" on the youtube stream is gone.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
Just listened to the Spotify version, much better than YouTube. The mix definitely feels more balanced and less in your face than DT12.

This record really has the potential to sound very good sonically.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2015, 07:08:11 AM »
Man that riff at 3:24. More please.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2015, 07:12:10 AM »
The mix definitely is better (listened on Google Music), only drawback is it made stick out the drums too. And I'm really starting to dislike them already on that tune.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »
I think the drums are the right volume, and dig the performance, but I'm not sure how to describe it. It's like the don't ring out...they just hit and clip off. Is this what audiophiles are talking about when they mention "gated" drums?

Offline tofee35

« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:31 AM »
I like the song a lot. There's so much potential. JP's tone is so early 2000's JP, which was my favorite JP. I'm mostly happy that the lyrics aren't in the same medieval tongue as the emails. The drums/drumming is sort of too rigid and abrupt for the flowing movement of the song. It holds back the song a bit. I think it's 75% production and 25% the placement of snare/bass hits. If I were to guess, the snare and bass are triggered which may be why the overheads for the cymbals are low (to avoid leakage). I know very little about engineering, but that' how it sounds to me.

-Tof

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2015, 07:40:42 AM »
I'm apparently alone in this opinion, but I fucking loved it!
The choir sounds fantastic, as do the orchestra and I was really getting the concept themes.

High hopes that this'll be as good as SFAM. We'll see...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »
I'm apparently alone in this opinion, but I fucking loved it!

Since that is clearly the majority opinion, I'm not sure how you are "alone."  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."