Poll

What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"

I absolutely love it. This album's going to be the next Scenes from a memory!!!
68 (17.8%)
I really like it and can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
207 (54.2%)
It's not the best song in the world, but I like it.
65 (17%)
It's okay, I'll still be interested in the album, just hoping other songs are better
35 (9.2%)
This is really a disappointment. I hope the other songs are way better . . .
7 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 374

Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"  (Read 51312 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music?"
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »
I went with the middle option. After only a couple of listens, and without the context of the album, the song is ok on its own so far. No complaints, but didn't wow me yet either. But it's part of a concept album, so I don't expect it to hold up as well individually.

Other people mentioned having an ATC vibe, which I also got (which is a good thing for me), and the instrumental section sounds extremely familiar although I can't quite put my finger on it. It almost sounds like a progression from DT12 back to SDOIT/SFAM. I'm interested to hear how that turns out. I loved the choir.

The Youtube audio quality isn't great, but the production sounds pretty good from what I can tell. It sounds better than the HDTracks version of DT12, I think. The guitars aren't overwhelming, and the drum sound is the best of the MM studio albums so far. You can tell it's mixed by the same guy, but I think they've ironed out the most glaring flaws of DT12.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2015, 08:20:11 PM »
Thanks for all the votes and responses guys, you rock!!! :) :metal

Great to know the general consensus and your opinions ;)
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2015, 08:28:38 PM »
Wow. I'm definitely intrigued after listening to this. I LOVE the second half of the song. That riff toward the end reminded me of Opeth a little bit. It's not a typical single, but we have to remember this is just a cog in the wheel of what is The Astonishing. The lyrics really grabbed me too. I'm dying to see where this concept goes. Thank you, DT!

I also want to add that these lyrics are classic Petrucci. What a wonderful writer he is.  He set up the story so well with this track, in my opinion.

And that choir! Damn! Does it get any better than that?

EDIT: Upon further listens, I think Dream Theater is giving us a concept album about a futuristic world without music. I'm also venturing that Nomacs are possibly music-detecting devices? If someone in the Northern Empire is playing music instead of being a productive member of society, it can detect it. I'm just speculating.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:07:26 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »
kinda whatever for most of it, but then they always deliver the goods when it comes to the signature instrumental break

Offline jsbru

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »
Am I the only one who can't help but appreciate how appropriate it is that we got "The Gift of Music" from Dream Theater this holiday season?  :lol

They really dropped the ball by not waiting to release this until 6:00 on Christmas morning, Yorkeville time.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
Does anyone else get a "Don't Look Past Me" vibe from this? That was the song I first thought of when I heard it the first time.

I do.  And that's a good thing.  I probably like DLPM better, but it's close.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
Anyone think this could be an edit (like with Home) and TGOM is actually around 7 minutes? Or it just goes into the next track like predicted?

There are two or three great melodies that SHOULD be repeated, so I hope so.  Or those melodies appear earlier/later in other tracks.  Geez, how many DT tracks are there that you wish were four minutes LONGER?!?!? 

Choir sounds sweet on a very, very well done song.

A Nightmare to Remember
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline jsbru

« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »
In sum, I have to say: It's not the best song in the world, but I like it.  I like it better than Enemy Inside, but not sure I like it as good as OTBOA.

That doesn't mean it's bad.  The musical sounds/effects sound a lot better than they have been in a while, JP's solo is awesome, and I love it when bands can make the major scale sound badass.  They did it here without sounding like they were ripping off Rush.  But it sounds kind of like a cookie-cutter DT composition, except a little bit shorter.  I think it's one of those songs that might be more enjoyable as a fragment of a concept album than standing alone.  They don't do anything new here that they haven't done before.

Also, rarely is the first single from DT the best or most interesting song on the album.  They usually play it safe with singles.

The thing I like most about this song is it's general attitude and tone, which is more likely to carry over to the rest of the album.  I guess I'm the least thrilled by its specific composition, which is unique to the song.  So I still have pretty high hopes for the album.  They've hyped this one up pretty well so far, so now it has to meet those expectations!

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »
If you listen in while expecting the next track and pretending you just heard the intro, it's even better than Strange Deja-Vu, it's so extremely climatic.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 09:50:01 PM »
I like it, but I can't believe how obvious the melodyne is at  1:22. Like, just sing that line over.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 10:01:32 PM »
I think it's midfield strong, and I'm hopeful that DT is sticking to their history of releasing the weaker songs first.
Drum sound is better, I'm just apparently not a fan of MM's drum sound and style, period. His machine gun snare and the heavy use of it just doesn't do much for me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »
About the perception that a few of you think you are hearing a melodyne artifact:  I asked the band, and there is NO melodyne or other effects on that part of the song.  That is purely how James sang the line.  I have this confirmed directly from the band.  They also said they appreciate that the fans dig so deep and analyze the music on such a deep level as that.  But no melodyne. 

One other misconception to clear up:  I have noticed a few people refer to the song as the first "single."  It isn't really a "single."  It is a preview for us to get a sampling of the album. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 10:08:38 PM »
About the perception that a few of you think you are hearing a melodyne artifact:  I asked the band, and there is NO melodyne or other effects on that part of the song.  That is purely how James sang the line.  I have this confirmed directly from the band.  They also said they appreciate that the fans dig so deep and analyze the music on such a deep level as that.  But no melodyne. 

One other misconception to clear up:  I have noticed a few people refer to the song as the first "single."  It isn't really a "single."  It is a preview for us to get a sampling of the album.

Oh okay well that clears it up then, thanks for letting us know . . . like I said I know nothing about music production and was just going by what I thought I heard to be some sort of glitch in the production, but I apologize if that has offended anyone . . .

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
No, not at all.  But since a few people had said they noticed it, I thought I'd ask the source.  Now we know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »
And I will edit out the single part in my opening comment as to not confuse people. Thanks for the heads up Bosk, you da man :smiley:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
Just like bosky, I never heard anything peculiar about that vocal line, even when listening for it. I get the suspicion people these days jump the gun in their expectation of autotuning. That is, they think they hear it in places where it doesn't exist.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
I didn't hear it either.  But then again, I didn't immediately discount it because when songs are so multilayered and multitextured as DT's tend to be, there are often things in there that won't be picked up on at first.  Not sure how I missed it for so long, but by way of example, I NEVER heard the moaning in Home until I saw LSFNY.  :lol

Offline V_R11

« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
Just listened to it,and didn't like it as much as I had hoped but liked it anyway. I see so much potential in this album and can't wait to hear the rest. After all,this was just four minutes out of it all and I think there'll be a lot of different kinds of songs
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
It just sounds like a weird slide. Like an artifact of melodyne or quick autotune. I didn't really know what was up with it. It's a peculiar thing. I still like the song.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »
Of course, itr also doesn't mean DT doesn't use autotune. Of course they do, everybody does. But much more sparingly in studio recordings than people assume. Their live releases, different matter.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2015, 10:20:23 PM »
It takes a village...this much she knows is true...

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »
On another note, the song is now available in the US! And off I go to Itunes ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
I believe the Rolling Stone article referred to it as the "single" and it seemed to be like a semi-official article via the band and so I think that's where the idea of a single came from.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2015, 10:27:33 PM »
Oh, didn't catch that.  Yeah, Rolling Stone is a bit off in that respect then.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2015, 10:35:15 PM »
It seems like DT chose this song to release because it's the first song with lyrics, it's relatively short to act as a teaser, and it's before you [would] see any recurring themes that would normally be present in the later song (JP confirmed different themes and what not for the different characters).
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2015, 10:42:58 PM »
I think it's fantastic - exactly the sample I needed to hear to be completely confident with the band taking on this vast concept album. The lyrics aren't lame or corny, this piece of music brings me back to Images and Words. I feel a lot of Rush influence in the riffing. Guitar solo is breathtaking. I think this album is gonna be a fuckin 10 out of 10.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:14:29 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »
My sentiments exactly!!! Man what the heck am I gonna do to make these two months go by faster?! :lol

All hail Dream Theater! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2015, 10:51:21 PM »
...given that this is a short 4 minute sample of the enormous 2 hour bonanza.

Well, this line excites me. I'm thinking that this song is pretty damn great, and I'm so excited for the rest of the album. If this is just 4 minutes out of 120+ minutes... It's an incredible prospect. Wow. I'm ready for the rest! I'll be going to the Faroe Islands in early February for a bit of exploration and photography, and this album will do just nicely as the soundtrack.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
It sounds good.  JLB's vocal sounds spot on.  The instrumental parts in the last part was solid and, part of me thought I was going to hear another verse after that, but then the song was over and I was a bit bummed out, but thankfully, this is just a small piece of the grand scheme of things.

It's a good start.  Did what it needs to do.  Showcase them decent enough in a short amount of time, after over two years of not hearing new material, and get people excited to buy/hear the rest of the album.

Offline MacClaus

« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
Overproduced.... Pitched voice.... horrible drum sound. A disappointment.... they will never learn to return to the great sound of Awake.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2015, 11:42:58 PM »
Overproduced.... Pitched voice.... horrible drum sound. A disappointment.... they will never learn to return to the great sound of Awake.

Did you vote? Because the votes in the bottom option did not goo up.  :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2015, 11:44:45 PM »
Why would you expect them to return to awake? Awake was done when the band was still in their twenties, at the top of their creative peak. It's a fact that people settle down and change their creative approach when they get older - and the world has changed too, with regards to the possibilities and the expectations. I certainly don't want a dt that is stuck in the past. I don't want dt to recreate the old albums over and over.

This track is indicative of a new direction for dt that is completely different from anything they've ever done while staying true to their heritage by being a natural evolution. The track feels like a great way to get into the world and the story, it's got a buildup that engages the listener with a huge payoff  when the choir kicks in. The instrumenta sectionl is melodic and interesting.

On the album it follows an overture which I assume will introduce the overarching themes we will hear on the album, that act kinda like the intro credits to a movie or tv show. This track is where the journey truly begins. And it does it in a masterful way.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2015, 12:16:05 AM »
Why would you expect them to return to awake? Awake was done when the band was still in their twenties, at the top of their creative peak. It's a fact that people settle down and change their creative approach when they get older - and the world has changed too, with regards to the possibilities and the expectations. I certainly don't want a dt that is stuck in the past. I don't want dt to recreate the old albums over and over.

This track is indicative of a new direction for dt that is completely different from anything they've ever done while staying true to their heritage by being a natural evolution. The track feels like a great way to get into the world and the story, it's got a buildup that engages the listener with a huge payoff  when the choir kicks in. The instrumenta sectionl is melodic and interesting.

On the album it follows an overture which I assume will introduce the overarching themes we will hear on the album, that act kinda like the intro credits to a movie or tv show. This track is where the journey truly begins. And it does it in a masterful way.
Agree 100%
On the melodic line side: yes, ATC feeling all over, but also a "you'll never rule me now, though you may stand upon my grave" deja-vu somewhere along the 1st part? Am I the only one?
From Rome, with love.

Offline MacClaus

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »
Why would you expect them to return to awake? Awake was done when the band was still in their twenties, at the top of their creative peak.

I mean the production and mix. The last DT records are overproduced with tons of keyboard layers.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2015, 12:34:03 AM »
The keyboards are buried on recent DT albums. It's the wall of guitars that are the problem.

The mix on TGOM sounds more balanced.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.