Author Topic: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play  (Read 27920 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50(+14) Albums! Just Push Play!
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
You could still be the first to put a Shinedown album in the actual top 50  :tup
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50 Albums! Don't staaaay, run awaaaay.
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2015, 06:55:12 AM »
#50: Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine (1992)

Genre: Rap Metal/Rock (?)

It was very hard to pick between this one and The Battle of Los Angeles, went for their s/t in the end, it’s way more consistent. This music definitely isn’t for everyone, and has right and wrong moments to listen to IMO. RATM, to anyone that doesn’t know, is basically this: Every song has a fairly standard drum beat, very heavy bass oriented compared to other bands, and then has some sort of in-your-face guitar riff that they stick to for most part of the song. All of this topped off with a singer who combinates rapping with an MC-ish style of singing. Kinda like Nu-Metal/Rap Metal I guess? But less of the metal and more leaning towards funk. This is one of the most impressive works of the genre, and it’s their debut album. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure these guys were the ones to bring the genre alive. Also pay attention to Tom Morello's guitar when listening to these solo’s, he has a very unique way of creating guitar solo’s, very fitting to the aggressive RATM style. He has some crazy pedals to alter his guitar sound and pounds his whammy bar (:neverusethis: ) during the solo’s.

Summarized: Some very aggressive/angry music, for most people an anger outlet, for me, awesome background music.

Favorite song:
Know Your Enemy: I’m not usually one to love rapping, and I’m not exactly an anarchist or anything, but these verses do seem like very well-crafted stuff. But this song being my favorite is because well, it has the best RATM riff in all their discography, has a badass bass riff that returns isolated near the end of the song, this should’ve been the trademark #1 charts RATM song that Killing in the Name turned out to be.

Other recommendations:

Settle for Nothing: Darkest sounding song, that dark vibe makes the chorus all the more powerful, pretty simple but amazing song.

Killing in the Name: This one, even though being waaay too popular compared to the other songs on this album, has shed some light on RATM, and is still one of the best songs here, it has some cool riffs and a strong vocal delivery.

#49: Mastodon – Crack The Skye (2009)

Genre: Progressive Metal

This album sure was a great experience, being one of my newer experiences, I only knew Mastodon  from their big hit single Blood and Thunder (NFS-MW), and expected this to be somewhat similar, well I was wrong. This album is full of epicness, heaviness, groove, you name it. In-your-face riffs are thrown at you numerous times in every song, but there’s something special about this album, and I haven’t checked out their other albums yet so I don’t know if this applies to the others, but if I’m correct, they have 3 lead singers, so that’s not the most diverse singer in the world, it’s 3 amazing musicians who all play their respective instruments and sing at the same time. I’ve tried drumming and singing at the same time, it’s not easy guys! (btw he’s not just playing standard beats, the drummer sings the verses, which are packed with crazy fills and shit) Track-wise, this album is very pleasant to listen to entirely, they have a few songs at the beginning which barely reach the 5 minute mark, building up to one of the big epics, only to build up to another one in the end, lovely. This is a great combination between heavy metal and progressive metal that I don’t see anywhere else (either that, or I’m not looking hard enough).

Favorite song:
The Last Baron: Starts off a bit relaxing, then slowly builds up during the instrumental break, and finally starts kicking ass. It has everything a song of this length needs to have.

Other recommendations:

The Czar: Very close behind The Last Baron for me, I could’ve put any of these as my favorite. This one has different movements within the song, also starting off mellow, but I prefer the main section of this one to that of The Last Baron, it has more groove.

Divinations: Has a cool chorus and feels a lot more proggy compared to the other shorter songs. Start out with this one if you think 10+ minutes of Mastodon is too much at once.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:46:21 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50(+14) Albums! Don't staaaay, run awaaaay.
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »
RATM :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »
I'm not a fan of RATM at all, but I definitely enjoy some Mastodon. Don't know a lot of their material but everything I've heard so far was pretty good.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2015, 09:00:42 AM »
Don't know the latest six albums. Well, I've heard about the bands, but that's it.

Mikemangioy sent me a track off Crack the Skye in my roulette and while it was alright, it didn't make me want to check the album further. I think it was Oblivion and it got 6.5 out of 10.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »
I can assure you that you know the next album :lol
Oblivion wouldn't be my top choice but probably top half of the album, so I guess Mastodon is just not for you.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
I know most of the artists you've mentionned since I last came here, but I never really got to listen to them.

So all I can say is yeah for Protest the Hero (although I'm more familiar with Volitions, ''C'est la Vie'' is :metal) and Opeth! Also it was akward reading your comments about the Mars Volta because I share the same name than the singer. I especially laughed when reading this part

Cedric is a fucking beast

:lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2015, 12:38:10 PM »
I've been following the MS Paint thread so I stand by my statement.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »
re: Native Construct: i probably will get this next year
re: Bedlam: i feel like am the only person who just doesn't "get" this album
re: PtH: i actually think this is their most consistent, but on the flipside none of the songs stand out from each other. kezia is probably their best though, pick any song from the back half of that album and it's top 10 PtH material, easy
re: Crack the Skye: the only Mastodon album I really like at all, Blood Mountain is alright, some good songs, some meh ones, The Hunter is boring, tried their latest on YT and was just so meh-verwhelmed by it

ok i caught up

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2015, 05:16:12 AM »
Your Scurrilous thoughts are actually how I think of Kezia, well except for Blindfolds Aside, I unknowingly heard that song for years and finally found it a couple of months ago  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:36:37 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2015, 08:36:54 AM »
#48: Haken – Aquarius (2010)

Genre: Progressive Rock/Metal

Ah, Haken. The band that every DT fan has heard of, and almost gets universally loved, which still baffles me, because it’s not even all that similar to DT. With heavy jazzy and groovy elements here and there, this first Haken studio album felt like an instant classic in the prog world. From the calm harmonic vocals of Ross Jennings, to the heavy-yet-groovy instrumentals. But what makes Haken so distinctive, especially in this album, are those little circus orientated moments, what I specifically like about this album is that it all starts to sound so big near the end, the harmony of Sun is a perfect setup for the big closing epic. So this band was a pretty late grower for me, why? Well the vocals repelled me from the music at first, but when the music started clicking, so did the vocals. I think a friend of mine showed me some stuff and I said it just sounded off, he replied by saying something along the lines of “just let it sink in, you’ll appreciate it eventually”, and that’s pretty much what happened, it’s true, this band is a must if you’re into prog-metal at all.

Favorite song:
Celestial Elixir (by miles): While the best parts of this song are the intro and the outro, the main section of the song does a perfect job of maintaining the hype, pretty much it has every element this album has, combined into one song.

Other recommendations:
Drowning in the Flood: Yeah I like heaviness in my songs, and if there’s one Aquarius song to showcase that (, well, the Streams devil section aside), it’s this song.

Aquarium: What first got me to listen to this album was that crazy groovy part in Aquarium, big ups! Still my favorite part, but the whole song is just great aswell.

#47: Muse – Origin of Symmetry (2001)

Genre: Rock

I’ve been starting off a lot of album write-ups with “wow, it sure was hard to pick the best album of (artist name)”. For Muse, that was absolutely not the case, Origin of Symmetry is by far my favorite album, even though some of my favorite songs are on Absolution. The first song I’ve ever heard from Muse was Plug In Baby, through Guitar Hero, loved everything about it, even though it’s a pretty simple song. Listening to the whole album for the first time I knew I had to get this, it has such a dark vibe throughout the album, starting with New Born should be enough of a convincement for that. Pretty obviously, Matt’s voice isn’t for everyone, it’s a very unique style that includes lots of high-pitched ooooh’s.
Not only does the singer have a very unique style, all of the music has this, it’s very chaotic sounding in a way, but well-structured nonetheless, kinda hard to explain. Anyway some lyrics may sound pretty stupid, but luckily a lot of it is pretty hard to understand, so you won’t notice it at first.

Favorite song:
New Born: Far and away the best one, has a haunting piano playing in the background, building up to the amazing climax that is the chorus, only to break down and build it up to that chorus again.

Other recommendations:
Plug In Baby: A song Matt wrote about his guitar, who cares? “My plug in babyyyyy” is hella fun to sing along to, and this main guitar riff has a very diabolic sound, I love it.

Citizen Erased: Okay, speaking of chaotic sounding music, this song’s up there, well it starts out as one, and quickly turns into a very clean, epic song.

Bliss: A classic Muse song, it goes without saying this is a worthy followup of New Born.

#46: Pomegranate Tiger – Entities (2013)

Genre: (Instrumental) Experimental Progressive Metal

One of my missions is to get as much people to like Pomegranate Tiger as possible, so hear me out.
So there’s this Canadian guy called Martin Andres, multi-instrumentalist of Pomegranate Tiger, he records his own guitar, drums, piano and bass for the music, and then he has guest musicians come over for some crazy featured instruments, on this album he hired some other guys to actually play the songs, but he did write everything. Martin himself played the lead guitar on Entities. The music throughout this whole album can be best describe as experimental progressive metal, fully instrumental by the way, no vocals. It’s pretty hard to create an instrumental album that feels more like a musical journey than just some songs put together on an album, but this album does that exceptionally well. Speaking of an instrumental progressive metal band obviously Animals As Leaders comes to mind, I feel that this band is a little less technical, but more than makes up for that in terms of melodies and catchiness, they just found the perfect balance in the instrumental prog-metal world for me. Lastly, I think some of the slower parts with the guitar leads are very similar to some of the parts on Metallica instrumentals, which are some of my personal favorite instrumentals of all time, each and every one of them.

Favorite songs (yes, I can’t decide):
Maxims: I warn you, please do listen to the album in its entirety, because this song has a great intro to it on the album, but as far as separate tracks go, this is the best.

Mountains in the Sky: This has either the best catchy melody on the album, or the most annoying one, depending on how you take it in, for me, best, it’s way less metal than Maxims, but still plenty metal.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:47:22 PM by Train of Naught »

Offline jakepriest

Re: Train of Naught's Top 50 Albums! Currently #48-46
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
OOS sits behind Absolution and Resistance for me, but I love Citizen Erased to death. Nothing in Muse's catalogue will ever beat that song for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2015, 10:00:52 AM »
yeah Aquarius is good

I -still- need to get OoS because i'm like 10 years behind the times

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2015, 11:23:48 AM »
Crack the Skye should be about 48 places higher :P
I still need to get into Aquarius. I like it but didn't hear it too many times in entirely (like other two by Haken).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »
Maybe if I would've known it longer than I have, Crack the Skye is pretty awesome.

I'll probably be doing the updates like I have for the past 2 days, alternating between 2/3 updates a day until the top 10, which'll be 1 a day. That way the actual top 50 takes 26 days in total and I think the whole thing with the 14 honorable mentions included will take 1 month exactly, man I'm so punctual.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2015, 06:45:57 AM »
#45: Metallica – Death Magnetic (2008)

Genre: Thrash/Heavy Metal

Growing up with all types of metal, I never really bothered to check out their release years, why would I care? I was twelve years old when this came out, so I didn’t get to hear it as much as a child as the Metallica classics, but I wasn’t nearly as active musically in the early years.  Death Magnetic is pretty obviously harder to take in for someone who has been around for Metallica’s entire career, seeing them release something that very clearly goes back to that thrash-y sound, but a lot less memorable. As someone who was born after the release of the Black Album this was never the case because I wasn’t around during that Metallica transition period. This album is full of great riffs, fast-yet-memorable Kirk solo’s, and while not having my favorite James vocals ever, the way they’re phrased make them sound better. So all in all I can totally understand why fans don’t appreciate this as much, but goddamn this album is just full of fun and energetic moments. Not just fun though, I never realized how amazing and emotional Metallica’s lyrics were until I heard The Day That Never Comes, that one hit home with James real hard, and like many bands, I feel lyrics are sung miles better if it’s either written by the vocalist himself, or is about a subject that person can really relate to. Album does not excel in the “best full album experience” category, I could separate tracks of this album just as much, but there’s some of my all time favorite Metallica songs on here, so that’s why it still managed to reach #45.

Favorite song:
All Nightmare Long: I remember drumming this  up until the second chorus for a school assignment, it was pretty terrible looking back, but needless to say I’ve heard this one tons of times, and it never got old. Very dark atmosphere in the beginning, super energetic chorus, and an awesome instrumental section to top it off.

Other recommendations:
The Day That Never Comes: Being about his abusive father, these lines give off a very strong/emotional feeling. Musically, this sounds a lot like a more mainstream version of Fade to Black.

The End of the Line: This one much like All Nightmare Long, is very energetic, but this one’s structure is a bit more interesting, with an awesome climax near the end.

The Unforgiven III: I’m not sure if it has ever been confirmed that this is the last part in the Unforgiven series, but I wouldn’t mind if it were, cause this one’s terrific. I wouldn’t quite know how to describe it, musically it’s a very uplifting song after these first two, but the lyrics are still very real and of big impact to a lot of people.   

#44: Circus Maximus – Isolate (2007)

I mean, if there’s anyone who appreciates Circus Maximus’ latest effort ‘Nine’, it’s me. But it’s almost undeniable that Isolate is the better album on many levels. I still think Nine has the best melodies of the two, but Isolate has a bigger variety of songs for one, and just delivers with that raw/heavy sound. I’m sure this is an undeniable fact though: Michael Eriksen sings miles better on Isolate, not only technical, but also the way his vocals fit to the music. On Nine I still feel like musically they’ve done a better job than on Isolate, but the vocals just felt either too different from the music, or just had worse melodies which made for weaker deliv-ery. Anyway, with Isolate I can confidently say that it is an album of solid progressive metal, no question. The use of backing vocals here adds a lot to the music, it makes for more powerful lines. However, I have a pretty similar album to Circus Maximus’ more recent style of music that also has the balance I feel this album has, somehow they do follow some kind of formula in these songs, but they manage to be very different nonetheless. This band is growing out to be a DTF classic in the prog-metal scene, and rightfully so, but they’re not quite at the top yet.

With this I gotta say, Architect of Fortune from Nine is still my favorite Circus Maximus song, the album overall I just thought was weaker.

Favorite song:
Abyss: Man this song has everything, from powerful vocals layered over fast riffing to cool fast yet groovy solo’s (think of JP style), do check this one out.

Other recommendations:
Zero: I love this power-balad like song. What makes the song so awesome is the choir in the end, makes it sound so huge.

Mouth of Madness
: 13 minute song alternating between some great slow guitar melodies and some upbeat prog-metal, definitely worth the mention.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50 Albums! Bad production quality? My ass.
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
Never bothered with DM.  Isolate, while an excellent album, is actually my 3rd favorite CM album.  Not sure how Isolate has better melodies than Nine?  I always felt that they softened things up with Nine, focusing more on the melodies than the metal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2015, 07:01:50 AM »
So far, lots and lots of great stuff. I need to follow this better tho. I will.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2015, 07:09:38 AM »
Ups, kinda contradicted myself there, I did say at the start that Nine had the better melodies, but afterwards I said something about Michaels vocal melodies, I meant to say that I find those of Isolate superior in terms of vocal delivery, Nine has more of those softer catchier vocal stuff going on, while on Isolate Michael's voice just feels so much more powerful.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
Ups, kinda contradicted myself there, I did say at the start that Nine had the better melodies, but afterwards I said something about Michaels vocal melodies, I meant to say that I find those of Isolate superior in terms of vocal delivery, Nine has more of those softer catchier vocal stuff going on, while on Isolate Michael's voice just feels so much more powerful.

I'll grant you that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2015, 07:29:07 AM »
Aquarius is pretty cool, Death Magnetic is pretty meh.

I don't know about Isolate, I've checked Nine by Circus Maximus and I thought it was alright, but it didn't grab me. Need to give it another chance someday.

Offline 425

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2015, 09:21:50 AM »
Love seeing Aquarius and Death Magnetic on lists. Aquarius is one of the most brilliant debuts in the prog genre. Drowning in the Flood and Celestial Elixir are amazing songs.

Death Magnetic is underappreciated. I think I like it better than Master of Puppets. Not necessarily because it's a more skillfully crafted album, but because it's more melodic. I don't know, I don't listen to much Metallica anymore, but I never think about anything on Puppets while Broken, Beat & Scarred was in my head just yesterday. DM is a very solid album, barring production, and I'm happy to see that you have it rated here! :)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2015, 09:54:30 AM »
Great to see some love for DM, but I don't think I could ever like it more than Puppets, though they're not too far apart  :laugh:

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
DM is such a boring album. The Day That Never Comes is the only song I like honestly.

Offline 425

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:18 AM »
Great to see some love for DM, but I don't think I could ever like it more than Puppets, though they're not too far apart  :laugh:

Yeah, I understand that. Puppets just doesn't have that sacred status for me that it seems to have for most people. To me, Puppets is a dip in quality between two superior releases. Lightning is the sacred one for me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
DM is such a boring album. The Day That Never Comes is the only song I like honestly.
Dw I think you'll like at least 2/3 albums of tomorrows update :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
While being my least favorite Haken album, Aquarius is still great.

DM I could take it or leave it. It's not the worst thing in the world, but the only real memorable tracks for me on it are The Day That Never Comes and All Nightmare Long, which are legitimately great Metallica songs. It's not a bad album by any means, but a lot of the forgettable song-writing and most of all the horrible production are what really bring it down.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50 Albums! So heavye sound!
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2015, 05:57:12 AM »
#43: Dream Theater – Train Of Thought (2003)

If it wasn’t clear from some of the previous albums, yeah I like me some heavy music, and that’s actually how I started exploring Dream Theater music for the first time, just looking for some of the heavier songs a friend of mine recommended me, the first song was, wait for it, Endless Sacrifice, yeah that’s a terrible thing to recommend in the category of heavy songs if you have the entire Train of Thought album in front of you, but I loved it! I’ve always liked when songs have an ominous vibe and build up to a climax of some sort, and Endless Sacrifice’s chorus kicked my ass at the time (and still does some times). I feel like none of the band’s members at the time was at the top of their game, but it was all balanced so well, JP has one of his best solo’s on here, so does JR, MP proved that the outlet of his anger is the key to godhood on Honor Thy Father. I actually think ToT was one of the best albums in terms of JMX albums, so maybe he was at the top of his game here, but I feel like the next album had even better Myung moments. James goes without saying here, so many great moments, from the mellow vocals, to the powerful shit, and even pulling out the grills and golden necklace for Honor Thy Father. I believe this album was created in a very short period of time, about a month of studio time IIRC? That’s just crazy. This album does have some nostalgic value to me, probably the most out of any DT album, not only was it the first album I got a taste of, I also remember some of these songs being played at home by my dad, Stream of Consciousness mainly, I remember that main riff very well.

Favorite song:
Endless Sacrifice: To this day a top 10 DT song for me, might be weird, but I think it has everything I want from them, from the slow parts into the heavy chorus, the instrumental section with that trademark JR cartoony bit, but this is still the best part.

Other recommendations:
In the Name of God: Classic riff, both amazing vocals and lyrics, I don’t think the solo’s do the rest of the song justice but they’re still good.

Stream of Consciousness: Can’t say a whole lot about this, it has a heavier edge than most DT instrumentals and it’s probably my favorite DT instrumental.

Honor Thy Father: Very systematicly chaotic throughout, and I for one, love the part after the crooked step, with the samples and all, builds up tension towards that godlike JR solo.

#42: Avenged Sevenfold – Waking The Fallen (2003)

Genre: Metalcore

Awesome, my first taste of Metalcore, and with that, also one of my last ones. If I wasn’t sure why I had ever bothered with this genre this album would be the answer to my question. If it wasn’t by Avenged Sevenfold I would probably not even have checked it out though, but I’m glad I did. WtF is one of the best intro tracks I’ve heard on any album, like False Awakening Suite had its own aim to start off DT12, WtF creates this haunting vibe, with choir-ish vocals, I would’ve loved if they carried on that vibe, but I can’t complain, Unholy Confessions is a badass alternative. For anyone who’s not familiar with Metalcore, it’s a lot like Heavy Metal, but with mixed vocals, usually the chorus is 100% clean, and the verses are either mixed or completely harsh vox. What I like most about this album is not the vocals though, it’s Synyster Gates and Zacky. Literally every song on here has atleast one mindblowing riff, whether it’d be one of those very slow and heavy ones like on Eternal Rest, or the famous Unholy Confessions riff, they never fail to amaze. I’m glad I have the resurrected (Reworked) version though, because at some times listening to the original could be a pain, vocals in the chorus actually being buried under rhythm guitars. I’m not one to bother too much with production but that was pretty tough. I’d recommend Avenged Sevenfold to a lot of people, but this album is pretty hard to do that with, they’ve taken a significant turn in their career and some say it’s for the best, this album however will always have a special place in my heart.

Favorite song:
Second Heartbeat: This is a classic among A7X fans, while being way out of the comfort zone compared to their average type of song, it works goddamn well. Second Heartbeat is a typical Metalcore song, it has harsh vocals layered over cleans in some parts, it has a cool returning chant, melodic guitar solo’s, masterpiece.

Other recommendations:
Eternal Rest: Like I said, that riff is awesome, but this song also has one of the best outro’s on the album, if you’re familiar with Heretic from Hail to the King (lol) you will recognize that guitar in the background, because it’s basically the same thing.

Remenissions: Catchiest chorus by far, that aside, its probably the most accessible thing they have other than the famous single.

Chapter Four: I think hearing it live broke the ice for me here, this song is awesome to sing along to, has some of the greatest melodies both vocally and musically of this album.

#41: Alter Bridge – One Day Remains (2004)

Genre: Rock/Alternative Metal(?)

Finally I get to talk about Alter Bridge, geez that took too long.. This band, I’m pretty sure I found out about through a youtube video of Metalingus, and I was sure I recognized that song from somewhere, to this day I have no idea where it was from, ‘cause I lterally never watched WWE. I was stunned by this guy’s voice, who is this guy?? Myles fucking Kennedy, my hero. This album, compared to the others, is definitely less metal, it has a lot of classic rock sounding songs, sometimes even leaning towards pop, that you could very well encounter on the radio or something, think of songs like Open Your Eyes. Being the album that introduced the world to the Tremonti/Kennedy combo, it did exceptionally well on that level, you can hear that everyone’s very comfortable doing their thing on their own instruments, That’s why even when Mark Tremonti does these pretty quick solo’s like on Burn It Down, it still sounds both relaxing and badass at the same time. The coolest thing about this album though, is that throughout the whole thing, you get that ominous feeling, some pretty dark stuff on here, and I think Myles Kennedy excels at that, like his voice is made for that. While I think Scott and Brian do their job of drums and bass fine, the main attraction here is the combination of the guitars and vocals, though Metalingus has some pretty awesome drumming.

Favorite song:
Broken Wings: Such a beautiful song, it seems like a very depressing song, but it’s actually about the silver lining of the situation. Musically, expect some of the best Myles Kennedy performances of his career, along with very dark sounding instruments.

Other recommendations:
Metalingus: My introduction to these guys, and a very energetic song on its own, starts out with a cool drum fill and is overall a very strong, melodic metal song.

In Loving Memory: This one hits very close to home for me, so I’m kinda biased towards it, but it’s super strong vocally either way, so if you like Myles’ voice you’ll probably like this too, a very vocal-centered song.

The End Is Here: Man, this is my favorite Alter Bridge closer ever (after Fortress), it starts off with one of the most sinister guitar riffs I’ve ever heard, and Myles fits perfectly to that style, as soon as that first chorus starts, I’m almost shaking.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2015, 06:02:50 AM »
Love to see ToT on these lists - it made my original top 50 as well.  Fantastic album, and I agree about Endless Sacrifice... it's probably a top 10 DT song for me as well.  Love that 5 of these made L@B - all performed magnificently.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2015, 07:02:16 AM »
Great new entries! Probably only Train Of Thought would be out of my hypotetical top 50, but I love In The Name Of God and I really like the first three songs of the album

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
Love seeing Train of Thought in these lists - while it wasn't in my Top 50 mostly because of This Dying Soul and Honor Thy Father, it has three of my Top 10 DT songs on it - namely Endless Sacrifice, Stream of Consciousness and In the Name of God. Haven't heard the other two.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2015, 09:48:24 AM »
One Day Remains is a superb album.  I already made my thoughts about it on Accelerando's album thread so I basically won't repeat myself here.  I will reiterate by saying this album was the start of something glorious for these four guys in Alter Bridge.  Favorites from it. Open Your Eyes, Down to My Last, Find the Real, In Loving Memory, and One Day Remains.

A7X's Waken The Fallen is a decent listen, as well, and Train of Thought had some solid songs, especially Endless Sacrifice and Honor Thy Father (not so much the overall message, but how it is presented was nice).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »
Oh right, Accelerando was the Tremonti guy right? Yeah I think I could see him have an Alter Bridge record or two on his top 50 :lol

Every album this update gets some attention, nice.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »
ToT doesn't have any top 10 DT songs on it IMO but ES, SoC, and ITNOG are all top 20 songs
I rarely listen to the album in full, though

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »
TOT is a great entry, it consistently shifts in and out of my top 50. The other albums have some great stuff on them, though I don't listen to them completely.
Because Mike is better than Mike