Author Topic: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play  (Read 27926 times)

Offline CharlesPL

Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! Miranda and The Green Mile (#8+#7)
« Reply #245 on: December 24, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
Fade to Black is one of my favourite Metallica songs. :tup

My nr 1 :tup

2. Welcome Home
3. One
4. Master
5. Fight Fire with Fire

6-30 ? don't remeber

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #246 on: December 24, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »
your second favorite Metallica song is a Coheed song?  :loser:

and yeah Fade to Black is awesome, I need to get back to trying to learn the solo 'cause it rules

Offline 425

« Reply #247 on: December 24, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »
Ride the Lightning is definitely Metallica's best album, so I will say that this is a fairly good pick. :tup
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #248 on: December 24, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »
Frances is just absolutely insane, I love it. Second only to De-Loused for my favorite TMV album.

Ride the Lightning is similarly my second favorite Metallica record. Really only marred by Escape, which I find pretty much forgettable. Fantastic album other than that. :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #249 on: December 25, 2015, 12:45:01 AM »
Sorry, I haven’t been around to follow the list, so I will now bombard you with impressions.

I find it amusing that people seem to like making updates of these threads within a year or two of their last. A few years of musical exploration is pretty small, in the greater scheme of things.

There are a good number of bands/albums on here that were also on my (incomplete) list:
- You don’t say anything about it, though I guess you might know, but in case you don’t: Steal This Album was literally the B-Sides from Toxicity, though a few were older. They leaked, and the band wanted to be able to profit from them, and for people to hear them in better quality, so the album was rushed out. As you say, the album doesn’t have much flow, but the material is generally still really strong. My favourites from that album are Chic’N’Stu, IEAIAIO, and Highway Song. Oh, and Toxicity was on my list too, for good reason.

- I like Opeth, but don’t care for their post-growl albums.

- The Mars Volta are one of the best bands since the year 2000. And yeah, Bedlam has some of the best drumming ever on a prog album.

- Rage’s s/t is awesome, and was on my list when I made it yonks ago. I prefer Battle of LA these days though.

- Origin of Symmetry is far and away Muse’s best album. Aside from the odd song, the only thing they’ve ever done that has interested me. It’s incredible how much better they were on that album than all of their others. To me, they came to suffer from Queen Syndrome: all style and faux-pomp and flamboyance, no substance.

- I like St Anger and Lulu better than Death Magnetic, but I realise I’m in an ultra-minority on that one. And I agree with what a lot of people said that Puppets ain’t all it’s made out to be. Ride the Lightning, however, is.

- If Waking the Fallen is the Avenged Sevenfold album with I Won’t See You Tonight (Pt 1), I love that song.

- Rust in Peace tears strips off every other Megadeth album. To me, that album’s the only one you need. I have this weird thing where even if I like a number of albums by a band, if one album encapsulates what I most like about them, the others I like will just fall away and become obsolete until there’s really only one I care for. That definitely happened with Megadeth.

- Dramatic Turn is the best DT album since SFAM, and the only one since 6DOIT I listen to these days. Six Degrees is also great, but most of the songs on there could use trimming, IMO. Glass Prison in particular should be about two or three minutes shorter. And Blind Faith may be their best song.

- While I’ve seen people raving about them since they first came out, I’ve still never even heard the Arctic Monkeys.

- Machine Head were one of my favourite metal bands 5 or 10 years ago, and The Blackening is an incredible album. A Farewell to Arms is a better, more cohesive epic than most prog bands can write.

- I really want to hear that Royal Blood album, it’s literally in the 10 or so albums I plan to buy next (which is really quite far up the queue).

- I loved Slipknot back in the day. These days, I’d say their albums still have about six or seven songs I could play the shit out of, but I could leave the rest aside. Although I was more or less “out of them” by the time it came out, Volume III probably is the best one overall, and when I finally heard it, I was really surprised how much they’d grown.

- SFAM is aight, I guess.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #250 on: December 25, 2015, 01:40:59 AM »
The fact you're catching  up on the entire thing is pretty awesome.

I'm fairly new to the whole 'music obsession' if you get that, probably half of my list is made of explorations from the past 5 years, if not 2-1 years. I'm discovering tons of new bands currently and my library will probably multiply over the next 2 years or something so by then I'll probably do a v2 (likely with limited albums/artist).

Did not know about the STA! fact, that's pretty cool thanks!

Great to see some love/curiosity for Royal Blood, they're the most inspirational modern rock band out there, don't see that too often anymore.

Lastly, I Won't See You Tonight both parts are from WTF, yes, and pt. 1 is the superior one (90% of the fans will agree).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:57:49 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! The last myle
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
#6: Alter Bridge – Fortress (2013)

Genre: Alternative Metal

We’ve arrived at the last chapter of Alter Bridge, and any related project for that matter. But man, they managed to do it, they managed to make one of the best returns in a metal career I’ve ever seen. Me personally, I didn’t like a whole lot of ABIII, and coming after a record like Blackbird I was actually pretty disappointed, but they follow it up with the very best album so far, and one of my all-time favorites! I don’t think I’ve ever said that of a band’s newest release. I realize that Myles’ voice is a mixed bag, but Fortress has the best vocal performance by him on any of the albums in Calm the Fire, whether you like the intro or not, you’ve gotta admit that is impressive as hell, and IMO, beautiful. Fortress has heavy songs that resemble Blackbird in a way, Fortress has dark songs that resemble ABIII and ODR. On top of a mixture of all their previous work, they add a few progressive elements that you wouldn’t expect at all from AB, but they seem to work out better than expected. There’s also a single song which has Mark Tremonti on lead vocals, Waters Rising, I suppose people who don’t usually like Alter Bridge but do like Tremonti could enjoy that song, it has an amazing pre-chorus and a pretty uplifting sound overall, in contrary to the darker/heavier sound of Tremonti So it’s pretty much everything the guys are musically capable of, add to that the creativity that came into this album.

Favorite song:
Fortress: You could call this the epic of Fortress, like Blackbird was the epic of that album. It has a huge sounding chorus. The instrumental break around the middle of the song is one of those “This is nothing like Alter Bridge at all………………… but I like it.” moments. Really, this is pretty badass.

Honorable mentions:
Cry of Achilles: This is my personal The Root of All Evil of Alter Bridge, instrumentals on this song are amazing, maybe the best in AB’s discography, and even though the vocals don’t live up to that, they’re still wonderful, this folks, is a top 5 AB song along with Fortress.

Addicted to Pain: That opening riff is pretty dark. The song continues to be pretty fast-paced overall, kinda reminding me of something that would be on the Tremonti project. I particularly love the change of tempo from verse to chorus.

The Uninvited: A pretty progressive song even for this album’s standards, I like the pre-chorus especially on this one, and the transition into the chorus.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! The last myle (#6)
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline LordCost

« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »
With Calm The Fire or Waters Rising instead of Addicted To Pain I would totally agree on your recommendations :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »
They were both very close to making the cut for HM (as was Farther from the Sun), so I decided to write some stuff about them in the main writeup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Holy shit, are you my long lost twin or what? I don't think I've ever agreed with so much on a list. Pretty much all the bands on this list are favourites of mine (a little too few growls to perfectly encapsulate my tastes, but still, it's mighty close).

Huge props for having Disconnected in your Top 10, it's definitely one of my favourite FW albums. Also much love for System of a Down, Toxicity is in my top 5 as well and Hypnotise is still my favourite album of all time.

Looking forward to the remaining updates.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
Awesome to read that, though after the fact I think I would've wanted an album/artist limitation after all, I feel there's a little too many bands with like 3-4 albums on here. If I do another top 50 albums it'll probably be something like 2/artist max.

Disconnected is out of this world. While Hypnotize has always been pretty good for me, I can never enjoy it fully front to back.

I'll say this much about the top 5, one of them is probably very unexpected, even I didn't expect it to be this high.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2015, 11:15:23 AM »
Stil waiting for a band I care about except for DT in the top 10 :neverusethis:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2015, 12:01:57 PM »
That happens when you know like 5 bands :neverusethis:

Fortress is excellent  :metal

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »
That happens when you know like 5 bands :neverusethis:

fuck off Parama :neverusethis:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #260 on: December 27, 2015, 01:35:08 PM »
1. Periphery
2. Coheed and Cambria
3. Avenged Sevenfold
4. Deftones

Yeah fuck off Parama it's only 4 :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: December 27, 2015, 01:38:23 PM »
:jamaritard:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: December 27, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
Not into TMV, but good call on Scenes.

Ride The Lightning is fantastic, but I actually rank it last of the first four Metallica albums. Kirk has some great and memorable solos.

I'm a recent but casual fan of AB, but Fortress is all kinds of awesome. The title track absolutely slays.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »
I never expected you to even know Fortress, that alone is pretty awesome.

Honestly all of the first 4 Metallica albums could be ranked differently and I wouldn't care too much,  they're pretty close and they all have gems.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #5. Just kidding, I'm not a number, I'm a free man!!
« Reply #264 on: December 28, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »

#5: Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast (1982)

Genre: Heavy Metal

Well, it is time, we’ve arrived at the final Iron Maiden album, and what an album it is. Outlasting AMOLAD, Powerslave and SSoaSS in a top albums list should already be plenty of explanation for its awesomeness, but let’s get into it a little more. As much as I love several tracks from the pre-Dickinson days (take Phantom of the Opera, beast of a song), Bruce was quite a radical change in the course of Maiden that just made the songs from good to great. To be fair, this album never grew a lot on me since the first listen, but I doubt that will devalue the album, because that first impression was beyond anything I could’ve imagined. What they managed to do with not just this release, but pretty much their entire career, is take a direction of music that is incredibly unique (I don’t hear any heavy metal bands sound like IM), and excel at it to the point where pretty much everyone, even people who don’t even listen to metal, associates Metal/Heavy Metal with the name “Iron Maiden”. This band for some reason just knows how to make music last, every second is so damn memorable, this makes the listens after I’ve stopped listening to Maiden for a while so much more enjoyable. TNotB was no exception – in fact, it was the best at doing just that out of the bunch.

Favorite song:
Hallowed Be Thy Name: This just might be my favorite song ever by any band, this is actually more than a song for me, this song was pretty much the end of a chapter in my life, but I won’t go into it too much. Let’s just keep it at: Best introduction to a song ever, crazy good riffs, one of the best vocal performances. If you’re into huge sounding stuff, this is pretty much an epic trimmed down to 7 minutes.

Honorable mentions:
Children of the Damned: They make it sound so easy… there’s actually a lot going on in the background, but the main attraction of this song is Bruce. Though the guitar during the chorus is also a pretty big highlight.

Run to the Hills
: Couldn’t let this one slip, great drumming work, trademark IM chorus.

The Number of the Beast: I really used to be annoyed with that spoken intro, ever since I saw it live I’ve loved it! It’s a perfect introduction. Oh and the rest of the song is awesome.

Hope I don’t piss anyone off with these mentions, 5th would be Acacia.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #265 on: December 28, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »
Looking forward to the top 4 :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #266 on: December 28, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »
Well I can't argue with this at all. Hallowed Be Thy Name is my favorite IM song, narrowly beating out Phantom of the Opera.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 28, 2015, 01:40:24 PM »
TNOTB is indeed a classic.

Fortress is brilliant too, AB's best album by far.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #268 on: December 28, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
This is actually the only Iron Maiden album I like, so  :tup.
Hallowed Be Thy Name was the first song I learned on drums and remains my IM favourite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »

Is it the only one you've heard also?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #270 on: December 28, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »
When TNOTB is good, it's brilliant (case in point: 22 Acacia Avenue, Children of the Damned, Hallowed Be Thy Name), but it has, by Maiden standards, quite a few tracks that I don't care for at all, like Invaders, Run to the Hills or Gangland.

Because of that, it ends up being a lower tier Maiden album for me. It's still good though, just very inconsistent imo.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: December 28, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »

:lol

When TNOTB is good, it's brilliant (case in point: 22 Acacia Avenue, Children of the Damned, Hallowed Be Thy Name), but it has, by Maiden standards, quite a few tracks that I don't care for at all, like Invaders, Run to the Hills or Gangland.

Because of that, it ends up being a lower tier Maiden album for me. It's still good though, just very inconsistent imo.

I have always loved Gangland. Bruce is fantastic in the prechorus. It's easily my favorite Maiden album and remains the standard bearer to all that have followed.

Good call TON! :tup
I believe I had TNOTB at about the same spot in my Top 50. Maybe higher!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: December 28, 2015, 02:44:16 PM »
Gangland and Invaders are boss.  RTTH and the title track I'm actually not that keen on.  It was good that Total Eclipse was eventually included also in the reissues, killer track.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: December 28, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
Honestly, while I have always loved Gangland, I've never been in love with Invaders. It's managed to grow on me over the years.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
One of the defining metal albums of the genre.  All songs on the album are top notch.

I'm glad that Total Eclipse was included on the remaster edition.  Great song!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
One of the defining metal albums of the genre.  All songs on the album are top notch.

I'm glad that Total Eclipse was included on the remaster edition.  Great song!

This man knows his metal.  Listen up kids.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2015, 04:09:34 PM »

I've heard most of them, but I usually get really bored after a while. Their music doesn't do that much for me.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #277 on: December 28, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »

I've heard most of them, but I usually get really bored after a while. Their music doesn't do that much for me.

Honestly if you like TNotB youll probably like some Powerslave and Piece of Mind stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: December 28, 2015, 04:57:57 PM »
maiden will continue to be a "they're alright and important historically but i have never been too interested in them" band for me

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #279 on: December 28, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
Good album, but not my favorite :

Maiden is my 2nd love after DT :>

My fav songs on this album : Children, The Prisoner, 22 AA, TNoTB

I don't like RttH and prefer live version HBTN, To Tame A Land or Infinite Dreams are my fav Maiden songs probably.