Author Topic: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play  (Read 27928 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! The Turbulence Theory
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
Nah, Misunderstood's ending is DT' most insane moment ever. And one of their best imo :P

TGD is awesome D:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2015, 08:38:53 PM »
I'm neutral on the end of Misunderstood, it doesn't bring the song down at all but it doesn't really make it better for me either.

Offline 425

« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2015, 09:29:37 PM »
Nah, Misunderstood's ending is DT' most insane moment ever. And one of their best imo :P

Remember the drums I didn't like in Ommadawn? Misunderstood's ending is like 100 times more grating for me.

TGD is awesome D:

I mean it's got some good stuff, but it just never goes anywhere. It's like an endless barrage of repeated verses that never builds to any sort of climax or really changes tone at any point. For 14 minutes.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline LordCost

« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2015, 01:59:08 AM »
No, The Great Debate is the best track on SDOIT, but I'm one of the few who actually thinks this.
It's my favourite one too. Then I would place one among Misunderstood, TGP or Disappear and my least favourite of the first disc is Blind Faith, but it's still good. Instead, I never appreciated much the second disc..

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! Genghis Khan and his toxic city are upon us
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2015, 11:11:26 AM »
#12: Protest The Hero – Fortress (2008)

Genre: Progressive Metal

I promise, last mention of Protest the Hero on this list! Just give me one more chance to praise them. Like I mentioned before, I’m a very recent PtH fan, and maybe it’s odd to have 2 of their albums in my top 20, and another one in the HM’s. But this band just clicked, it’s not a fluke, I will continue to like these albums for sure. Fortress accordingly, is the best of them all, and probably the most popular release. You could say that they change their sound slightly with every album, but there’s always a very distinctive PtH sound, which I would describe as chaotic and groovy at the same time. The best tracks on this album are some of their absolute best, but their worst tracks aren’t even close to being bad. With the perfect balance of what “old” fans liked about Kezia and what newer fans love about Volition and Scurrilous. What’s even more stunning though, you have these amazingly talented musicians, and people still hate on Rody for “not being good enough to match the music”, listen to the isolated vocals on Bloodmeat, I don’t see how you could ask for a voice more fitting to this song than Rody’s. Anyway, this is my favorite Protest album, followed pretty closely by Volition, I’ve heard some snippets from the upcoming EP and it sounds pretty great. Can’t wait to hear more of these guys.

Favorite song:
Sequoia Throne (Don't mind the quality, just wanted to link the video for this one because I love it so much): It’s not even close with this one man, Sequoia Throne is my favorite Protest the Hero song and I think I’ve listened to it at least once every day the past couple of months. Statistics prove that this song makes me ride my bike twice as fast.

Other recommendations:
Bloodmeat: Like I said, phenomenal vocals, and this song has that whacky PtH edge to it that makes it so great. Very aggressive/energetic song just like Sequoia, but just.. not as good.

Limb From Limb: Dream Theater fans, do you want Jordan “The Wizard” Rudess to guest solo on a PtH song? Listen to this. (Disclaimer: Not really JR)

The Dissentience: So, Damn, Groovy. It has crushingly heavy moments, but then has these incredible swinging guitar and vocal melodies.

Exclusive Elite/Richard recommendation of the month:
Quote from: Elite
Goddess Bound + Gagged: Simply THE best song on the album, can't miss out on this one folks :neverusethis:

Seriously though, I did think of combining these two and replacing Limb From Limb with them, they're great.

#11: System of a Down – Toxicity (2001)

Genre: Nu-Metal

Well, I don’t see a whole lot of SOAD on these top 50’s, but when I do, it’s almost always this beauty of an album. Explaining SOAD to someone who doesn’t know their music is pretty hard, though I think showing this album is the best way to describe their trademark sound. It has all the SOAD elements, from crazy songs with no real thought behind them (POGO POGO POGO POGO) to the still not so seriously sounding songs that do have very deep meanings. With a total of 15 tracks in 44 minutes, I think this album has the lowest average song length out of all the albums listed, even surpassing the LP albums. You have to give credit for SOAD’s ability to create the weirdest shit ever and make it work like no one else can, to the average fan some of the music seems very odd and random, but most of these songs (see how I say ‘most’ and not all) are really well done and well thought out before making, no matter what kind of song you pick off the album. Take Toxicity, the title track, as an example for a more organized song, this song is without a doubt a one-of-a-kind. For the more chaotic side of things, take Deer Dance, a seemingly simple/standard song, but it’s something I only see these guys create. Granted, they still have a lot of misses in their discography, but this album was entirely ‘hit’ for me.

Favorite song:
Toxicity: The chorus is pure SOAD gold, period. Everything around it is great aswell, from the weird lyrics in the verses sung in a very harmonic way to make them sound meaningful to the energetic and very creative intro, this song has it all.

Other recommendations:
Aerials: I remember being creeped out by that kid in the video when I was young. What’s so fun about this song, beyond the great vocal melodies and the amazing riff that gets heavier near the end, people still aren’t sure what it’s exactly about, there’s so many ways to interpret the lyrics.

Deer Dance: Plain fun song, full of energy and systematic chaos. Pushing little children is of course the purpose of all our lives.

Forest: I love the chorus on this one, overall great song but that chorus stands out most.

Chop Suey!: I have 4 recommendations for this album, since 1. It’s an album with 15 songs of which most are really similar in quality, and 2. I figured I’d get quite some hate if I excluded Chop Suey!. I definitely still think this is an over-rated song, but that doesn’t take away from the quality, beautiful chorus, erm.. cool.. verses? But the finale of this song is the most amazing of all, it sounds so epic.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:30:37 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
P.S. This was the last bunch of 2 update days, I'm still perfectly on schedule if I do one a day from 10 up until the last one.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
Ahh, my least favorite PtH album  :lol
Sequoia Throne is fantastic though.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
Yea kinda figured since it wasn't on your top 50, anyway my least favorite is Kezia but it still has a lot of killer tracks.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2015, 01:05:29 PM »
So, Fortress is there without a mention of either Goddess Bound or Goddess Gagged? Such a shame.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »
yes, also that re: Fortress
the last two honorable mentions are two of the songs I care least about on the entire album really  :lol
Spoils is the most forgettable tho, i actually had to go look up the song name bcuz i forgot it

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »
Dissentience is amazing  >:( but I can see where you're coming from with LFL.

Also edited the post with an exclusive Elite recommendation

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2015, 01:33:12 PM »
Toxicity just rocks  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! I think we were Disconnected.
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2015, 06:04:58 AM »
Toxicity just rocks  :metal

:metal

#10: Fates Warning – Disconnected (2000)

Genre: Progressive Metal

I actuallt have no idea what people think of Disconnected in general, I know Pleasant Shade of Grey is generally liked around here but I'm not sure about the other albums. I have to be clear though, I have not listened to a lot of Fates Warning albums enough to rate them, and I should probably check out more of them seeing how much I liked this album, and I will. For now, this remains my favorite FW album, and I doubt there will be anything by them I like better. This album, boys and girls, straight up gives me the chills from the very first second, I love how the atmosphere plays with the music so much on the album. I mean, you have these powerful prog metal tunes which I would classify as some classic Fates Warning stuff, but then you have these obscure sounding sirens and the chilly piano melodies in the beginning and end. For me, the album is full of crazily good vocal performances by Ray, amazing riffs and numerous other features that I enjoy very much, but whatever happened during the listen, it’s all forgotten when the final soundtrack kicks in, and it leaves me with nothing but awe. The entire album is focused more on the mood than the flashy instruments that most progressive metal is focused on, this is what makes the album so unique, and probably a big hit or miss album. I guess it’s not just a very nostalgic album that I enjoyed even more hearing it after such a long time, but also an album that’s always stuck somewhere in the back of my head, this album I’ll never forget.

Favorite song:
Disconnected Pt. 2: Pretty obvious after that write-up, but yeah, this is atmospheric gold! On first listen, I thought it was a pretty disappointing closer as there’s not too much happening, but like I said, this song just gets to me, it feels like a soundtrack of a broken man, someone who has lost it all. (This would also be terrific movie soundtrack material)

Other recommendations:
Still Remains: This 16-minute epic has it all, it carries the dark vibe I love about this album throughout the entire song, even when the song reaches its climax. There are powerful vocals on this song, but once again, atmosphere is the name of the game.

One: Enough with the sadness, here’s a powerful 4-minute rocker.

Something From Nothing: A little shorter than Still Remains, but I still consider this to be an epic, and it has all the elements to make it a great one.

A bit of an earlier update today, kinda busy with the roulette stuff today so I wanted to get this out a bit earlier.

Oh, here's the list from #50 up until this point:

#50: Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine
#49: Mastodon – Crack The Skye
#48: Haken – Aquarius
#47: Muse – Origin of Symmetry
#46: Pomegranate Tiger – Entities
#45: Metallica – Death Magnetic
#44: Circus Maximus – Isolate
#43: Dream Theater – Train Of Thought
#42: Avenged Sevenfold – Waking The Fallen:
#41: Alter Bridge – One Day Remains
#40: A.C.T – Circus Pandemonium
#39: Linkin Park – Meteora
#38: Periphery – Periphery II
#37: Sum 41 – Chuck
#36: Iron Maiden – A Matter Of Life And Death
#35: Tremonti – All I Was
#34: The Mars Volta – De-loused In The Comatorium
#33: Megadeth – Rust in Peace
#32: Queensrÿche – Operation: Mindcrime
#31: Metallica – Master Of Puppets
#30: Distorted Harmony – Chain Reaction
#29: Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn Of Events
#28: Arctic Monkeys – Whatever You Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
#27: Sum 41 – Screaming Bloody Murder
#26: Iron Maiden – Powerslave
#25: Deftones - Diamond Eyes
#24: Machine Head – The Blackening
#23: Avenged Sevenfold – Avenged Sevenfold
#22: Haken – The Mountain
#21: Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction
#20: Protest The Hero – Volition
#19: Alter Bridge – Blackbird
#18: The Dear Hunter – Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading
#17: Royal Blood – Royal Blood
#16: Avenged Sevenfold – City Of Evil
#15: Slipknot – Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
#14: Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory
#13: Dream Theater – Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
#12: Protest The Hero – Fortress
#11: System of a Down – Toxicity
#10: Fates Warning – Disconnected

Actually should've asked this before I started cracking the top ten: Any guesses for the top 9??

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:10:54 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline CharlesPL

Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! I think we were Disconnected (#10)
« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
A7X - Nigtmare, DT -  SFAM, IaW, Awake ?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »
Also edited the post with an exclusive Elite recommendation

To be honest, Sequoia Throne is my favourite as well, but Goddess Gagged is a close second and Goddess Bound is a nice song leading up to that track. Bloodmeat is awesome as well, I had not much problems with your recommended songs as such, because this album is fairly consistent as a whole and would probably make my top 50 as well (either this one or Volition), though probably not as high as in yours.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2015, 07:55:27 AM »
Fantastic Fates Warning album

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »
Finally something I'm familiar with aside from Metallica, IM, DT and Haken.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »
Yea, pretty impressive how well you're doing in my roulette to be honest, those songs are nothing like anything I listen to but it's all pretty great.

I think LordCost is the participant with most similar tastes to mine out of everyone, not counting Oceansize and Unexpect  :biggrin:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
I could never get into FW, not even this album, so :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »
Still Remains and Something From Nothing are both fantastic, though I feel they could each use a little trimming. And I'm not sure I have ever sat through Disconnected 2. To me, as soon as Still Remains ends, I'm usually ejecting the disc. :D

To me, Disconnected feels a bit short and I'm not even sure of its running time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! Wednesday morning, bruise still on my hand (#9)
« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2015, 05:50:26 AM »
Still Remains and Something From Nothing are both fantastic, though I feel they could each use a little trimming. And I'm not sure I have ever sat through Disconnected 2. To me, as soon as Still Remains ends, I'm usually ejecting the disc. :D

To me, Disconnected feels a bit short and I'm not even sure of its running time.
Pretty understandable, I still think SFN should've been trimmed down a little, but I wouldn't miss a second of Still Remains. Disconnected 2 appeals to me in a very odd way that I will not expect anyone to understand.

#9: Dream Theater – Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory

Progressive Rock/Metal

Pff, if you’re looking for a fresh write-up with convincingly strong arguments that will make you listen to the album (you won't find it here :neverusethis:), don’t even bother, everyone knows Scenes From a Memory. First time getting a taste of this album, I think I was on spotify browsing through some separate songs, that was absolutely the wrong approach, I barely liked anything at all, the exception being Beyond This Life. So I listened to BTL in full and it was wonderful, they went back to that really old school progressive sound, the instrumental section still gives me a crazy Kansas vibe. But yea, soon enough I got the album and listened to it in its entirety, what a road. This was really the first time I could say this about an album, but it really did feel like a journey, following fictional characters as an enhancement to the music was something I never looked for in music, but I think it was somewhat of a gateway to my taste for progressive music, as in the fact that I like to kind of analyze music in my head when listening to it (mainly drums) instead of only absorbing the sound. At this point I knew it, Dream Theater would not just be a onetime fluke, this band makes pure gold, and the creativity they all possess will push them to do even more amazing things in the future. I can’t say I disliked their later work either, because ADTOE is one of my favorite DT albums, and DT12, while not up there, is still an excellent album. Extremely hyped for the upcoming album.   

There’s no way of not messing this up for you guys, so here’s to sheer luck:

Favorite song:
Finally Free: This is probably my favorite DT closer, and DT have some very amazing closers, so that means a lot. MP drums in the outro are phenomenal, as is the riff that leads it. Singing performance by James is stunning, especially loved his vocals on the BTFW DVD.

Other recommendations:
Home: There’s so much suspense going on in this intro, and it builds up to a fantastic song! This one’s a very close second to Finally Free, the intro is one of the best moments ever in all of DT, vocals are great, gotta say I would’ve liked it to be maybe one minute shorter or something, the best hit edit was definitely too short though.

Beyond This Life: Like I said this was the only song that really hooked me on first listen, very groovy instrumentals going on, and also great energetic vocals.

Fatal Tragedy: That second half is just straight up killer, of course it wouldn’t be my #4 if I didn’t think the entire song was great, but that’s what makes it so classic.

As mentioned I’ve already written most of these but I’m just getting it out there fairly early. I turned 20 today, begone, teenager years! I’ll be away for the day, but I’m still staying on schedule  :biggrin:. Just letting ya know that this will probably be the last you hear from me today.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2015, 05:56:11 AM »
:2metal:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2015, 07:02:37 AM »
Wrong favourite songs :neverusethis:

Also, why are you recommending tracks when everyone clearly knows this album? :lol
Squ

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2015, 07:47:58 AM »
:P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2015, 08:23:27 AM »
Worthy top 10 pick.  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2015, 08:28:53 AM »
wtf is a dream theatre

Offline LordCost

« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2015, 05:27:54 AM »
I think LordCost is the participant with most similar tastes to mine out of everyone, not counting Oceansize and Unexpect  :biggrin:
I hope you wrote that after listening my round 7 submission!
And if I had the possibility to send again Oceansize I'll do it, changing completely the genre of the song.

I can only guess A7X - Nightmare, maybe Fortress by Alter Bridge but I don't remember your write up on Blackbird, and I'd say another DT album on the top 10

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2015, 05:35:09 AM »
Well I'm still waiting on 3 more songs to start listening, but judging from the description it does indeed sound like something I would enjoy.

I'll post another update today, but will postpone the remaining 7 albums until christmas is over, most people have other things on their mind than checking out a top 50 albums thread, also I like to 'polish' the writeups a bit before posting them and I probably won't get to that during christmas.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
Great to see Act II by TDH in this list. Hoping to see another one soon  :biggrin:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #239 on: December 24, 2015, 09:23:33 AM »
Wrong favourite songs :neverusethis:

Also, why are you recommending tracks when everyone clearly knows this album? :lol
:neverusethis:

Yea I have this standard format going for every writeup, I never thought of changing it, but I guess something like "Honorable mentions" or something would be a better fit.

Great to see Act II by TDH in this list. Hoping to see another one soon  :biggrin:
Another update? Another TDH album? Another TDH feature on the list? Make up yo mind

Gonna do two updates today to make up for the christmas postponing.
I think #8, about 90% won't care for the band, and the people that do, probably wouldn't care enough for said album to even have it near the top ten. #7 on the other hand, could've easily been in the top three if I did this 5 years ago, and I believe everyone has at least heard of it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
i dislike all bands and every album they've put out

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! Miranda and The Green Mile (#8+#7)
« Reply #241 on: December 24, 2015, 10:11:08 AM »
#8: The Mars Volta – Frances The Mute (2005)

Genre: Progressive/Experimental Rock

Here we are with yet another The Mars Volta album, this time around, with probably the most controversial album of theirs. It is said by some critics to be one of the sloppiest albums in their career. Well, this album has tons of what people would call ‘overly long’ transitions, but in general, just very long songs that seem long for the sake of it. I personally like to think that this craziness was all intended, of course I’m kinda biased, but I think the range of talent that each individual member in TMV possessed is immeasurable; the musicianship in this band is undeniable. Whether you like the music or not, is another story. I think with Frances The Mute it stretches that big or hit factor about the band even more out of proportion, it’s not even close to their craziest of works from what I’ve heard, but this is one of the albums where I felt they wanted to be taken seriously more than anything. A creative concept with likeable characters, Cedric (who is a fucking beast :neverusethis:) at times has sung in Spanish, and it always makes me happy when he does, but on this album it’s all the more enjoyable. The weirdness of this album does not lie in the instruments, it’s the odd vibe that all the transitions deliver, like some psychedelic trip. Even though Cedric is one hell of a singer, yet an in my opinion acquired taste, The Mars Volta is usually best when it comes down to those extended instrumental jams. This album however, it’s balanced out a lot more. I’ve seen the worst review on the internet about this album, and honestly it kinda frightened me to listen to the album, but I love it to bits now, and nothing in the world could convince me otherwise. A killer TMV album, my personal favorite (I only know about half their discography, but still), it’s a shame that they’re no longer together, but I’ll surely check out their other stuff when I have the time.

This album only has 5 songs (unless you count the title-track that is on the Japanese bonus DVD), so the only song not mentioned is Miranda That Ghost Just Isn’t Holy Anymore, which honestly, would still be worth checking out, but the following have my priority:

Favorite song:
L’Via L‘Viaquez: Too often, my idiot friends assume that I’m crazy about reggaeton and that kinda stuff just because I’m Spanish. Well, when I first heard this song I was just stunned by how crazy it was, starting off with a killer groovy guitar solo, vocals are super fun to sing along to, the tango section is awesome. Yea, my favorite TMV song, easily.

Honorable mentions:
Cassandra Gemini: Most of the time I like to just do some productive stuff that doesn’t require too much attention when I listen to this 32 minute epic. It has the amazing epic-closer vibe, great experimental jams, but alternates between those and some very relaxing/psychedelic background music.

The Widow: Out of album context, I like this one better than Cassandra, it’s one of the most accessible TMV songs probably, and something I would probably not even be surprised with to hear on a rock radio or something. I decided to link the music video, since the extended outro doesn’t really offer anything out of the context of the album.

Cygnus.. Vismund Cygnus: This is exactly how you should expect a TMV album to begin, utter chaos. This is the song Cedric really shines on, in terms of energy, he is literally all over the place.

#7: Metallica – Ride The Lightning (1984)

Genre: Heavy Metal/Thrashmetal

Man, actually every Metallica album brings back memories, this one has less of a nostalgia factor than Master of Puppets, this one’s a little older and has more of that thrash sound that they had during their debut, MoP being more melodic, also a bit more memorable IMO, but this one still stands out as the better album, but why?
The lows on this album are better, and while Escape and Trapped Under Ice have gotten a lot of shit, I think they’re great tracks. The highs are phenomenal. Although I strongly believe that for the die-hard prog fans who are not too familiar with Metallica, this can be one of the toughest albums to digest, very thrashy vocals. This album has some pretty straightforward tracks on it, which are all pretty different on its own, there’s the heavy ass For Whom the Bell Tolls, the softer Escape and the fast-paced thrash metal tune Trapped Under Ice. From soaring guitar solos to balls-to-the-wall riffs, I can’t emphasize how great Ride the Lightning is when it comes to the guitar work. Bass is something that I tend to overlook way too often, but with this album, no way. There’s the simple-yet-awesome bass in the main title-track riff, but can we just all agree on the fact that the Cliff’s bass work on Call of Ktulu was out of this world? I mean it’s not the most complex shit ever, but this is the most unique use of a bass in heavy metal I’ve heard to this day. Overall, this album was a pretty safe output from where they were at after Kill ‘Em All, as it had some similarities, while doing nothing new that seemed out of the ordinary, the new things they did try were rewarding to say the least. This record is a guaranteed killer start to finish. I do think this album gets overshadowed by Puppets a bit, but maybe that’s just me. Ride the Lightning for me, is the clear superior album in that regard.

Favorite song:
Fade to Black: This song has everything, good mellow beginning switching back and forth between verses and what I’d say is the closest they get to a chorus (without vocals? apparently), but the second half of the song is what makes this from a top 20 Metallica song into the absolute favorite: catchy riff, killer guitar solo while fading out. It’s like a better version of One.

Honorable mentions:
The Call of Ktulu: If I wasn’t sure about it before, this album ranking has made me entirely sure, this is the best Metallica instrumental, and is the closer to this amazing album. Like I said, killer basslines, great ominous guitar intro (Stream of Consciousness says hi)

For Whom the Bell Tolls: Very heavy little song, with lots of creative riffs and powerful James performance.

Creeping Death: I LOVED playing this on guitar hero, oh well. This song has some of the most memorable guitar leads, as well as some very heavy chant-able vocal lines. My favorite moment of this song is that heavy instrumental breakdown, just a very simple, headbanging riff.

Merry Christmas to all! Stay tuned.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: December 24, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »
I need to get that album  :metal

Might give this another chance, but Metallica bore me so  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: December 24, 2015, 10:24:20 AM »
Frances is good but probably my least favorite of the three TMV albums I have

RTL had a lot of songs in guitar hero and yes Creeping Death was super fun to play  :lol
Generally I liked the stuff I heard off this album more than MoP but less than AJFA but i only listened to the actual album front-to-back like once or twice ever

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 24, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »
Fade to Black is one of my favourite Metallica songs. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.